Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 10 Johnson Central 6
Final from Davis Park. Panthers pull out one they probably don't deserve. JC played very well early. They will be a tough team in the 15th.
Congrats Pikeville
Way to go Panthers! Good teams pull out close games. Who started for Pikeville?
jetpilot Wrote:Way to go Panthers! Good teams pull out close games. Who started for Pikeville?
Burke
Both teams will be very good by tourney time. The five errors cost jc the win.
yes,pville didn't deserve the win. they had 6 hits to jc 11 hits. i thought that was panthers strong point their hitting. it didn't impress me any. didn't think pitching was that great either. jc just had a couple of errors that helped panthers win. when u have young team sometimes that is what happens!!!
Good win for the young Burke kid. I heard there was a big hit for 3 RBI's in the 6th?
Good job panthers!!!!
PIKEcountyFAN Wrote:Good win for the young Burke kid. I heard there was a big hit for 3 RBI's in the 6th?
Good job panthers!!!!
Burke did not get the W. I'm not sure if Maynard or Burton was the pitcher of record for Pikeville.

Reese Ward hit a ball down the 1st baseline for a 3 RBI Triple. Close call, from where I was it was hard to tell if it was fair or foul. I wouldn't have complained if they called it foul, it was just too close.
BASEBALL SLUGGER Wrote:i thought that was panthers strong point their hitting. it didn't impress me any. didn't think pitching was that great either.
Then you are mistaken. This team's infield is its best attribute. And Maynard threw well but gave up a couple hits, but JC struggled mightily with Burton.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Burke

Would Burke be considered #4?
Congrats Panthers. Going to be interesting come tourney time.
jetpilot Wrote:Would Burke be considered #4?
Cecil
Burton
Hamilton
Maynard

At this point I'd say #5. He has to bring the mental aspect that comes with pitching. Just a soph. seems kind of hesitant out there and hitters will smell blood and be all over it.

He can throw in the mid to upper 70s. I've seen it, with a nice curve, but if he doesn't bring it to actual games, it doesn't do much good. I think this was a bad game to give him his first start. In his case, he needs to build some confidence.

On the flip side, I was very impressed with Simpkins for JC. He kept the ball low and away from the Panther hitters. Doesn't throw very hard, but got the job done and threw an excellent game until he tired in the latter innings.
^It shows what a good program Pikeville has become to throw their #5 against a Johnson Central the first week of the season and still expect to win...

Gonna be a fun year, again...............:popcorn:
Congrats Pikeville
Question? How does one go about determining the ranking of a pitching staff? I figure the #1 may be relatively easy but from there it would seem more difficult. Is there a formula or something that one uses, I am a little confused because many people from Pikeville tell me that Hamilton is the ace others say Cecil and others still say Burton. Could it be simply a matter of personal opinion or preference ? Could Cecil be the ace due to age and experience or Perhaps Burton due to unknown quality? Thanks in advance. And by the way I am not just talking about Pikeville,just using them as an example.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Question? How does one go about determining the ranking of a pitching staff? I figure the #1 may be relatively easy but from there it would seem more difficult. Is there a formula or something that one uses, I am a little confused because many people from Pikeville tell me that Hamilton is the ace others say Cecil and others still say Burton. Could it be simply a matter of personal opinion or preference ? Could Cecil be the ace due to age and experience or Perhaps Burton due to unknown quality? Thanks in advance. And by the way I am not just talking about Pikeville,just using them as an example.
To each their own. Everyone will have a different opinion, but IMO Burke is definitely #5 right now. Some may be more black and white, but with Pikeville 1-3 with Hamilton, Burton, and Cecil- any can be better on a given night. Maynard is a solid 4.

Unless you have a Chandler Shepard type talent in your rotation, or such separation like Jackson at Paintsville, the staff may not have an "ace".
Panther Thunder Wrote:To each their own. Everyone will have a different opinion, but IMO Burke is definitely #5 right now. Some may be more black and white, but with Pikeville 1-3 with Hamilton, Burton, and Cecil- any can be better on a given night. Maynard is a solid 4.

Unless you have a Chandler Shepard type talent in your rotation, or such separation like Jackson at Paintsville, the staff may not have an "ace".
Perhaps a little off topic but I understand Paintsville in 5 over Morgan Co.today.
Was told Jackson pitched and wondered about the #'s.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Perhaps a little off topic but I understand Paintsville in 5 over Morgan Co.today.
Was told Jackson pitched and wondered about the #'s.
Lots of K's. Morgan County hitters just had no chance. They finally managed to get a baserunner and a hit.
Johnson centrals Logan simkins appears to be third in the rotation for the eagles. Jc will be tough especially if their sticks still continue to produce.

Pikeville will be very beatable without Burton on the mound. With Burton pitching they will be a very tough team. Very good matchup will be pikeville throwing Burton and LC throwing shep. Can't wait for that one.
Moundbound Wrote:Johnson centrals Logan simkins appears to be third in the rotation for the eagles. Jc will be tough especially if their sticks still continue to produce.

Pikeville will be very beatable without Burton on the mound. With Burton pitching they will be a very tough team. Very good matchup will be pikeville throwing Burton and LC throwing shep. Can't wait for that one.

You obviously have not seen or heard about Cecil and Hamilton.
jetpilot Wrote:You obviously have not seen or heard about Cecil and Hamilton.
You know jetpilot,I was kind of wondering about that myself. The latter two pitchers with State Tournement experience?? I must admit however I don't know much about the Panther team.
Originally Posted by Moundbound
Johnson centrals Logan simkins appears to be third in the rotation for the eagles. Jc will be tough especially if their sticks still continue to produce.

"Pikeville will be very beatable without Burton on the mound. With Burton pitching they will be a very tough team. Very good matchup will be pikeville throwing Burton and LC throwing shep. Can't wait for that one.

I agree, JetPilot. People try to pit teammember against teammember...but truth is...Pikeville is fortunate to have depth in both hitting and pitching. Better to have several very good pitchers to go to than just one so called, "ace." anyway. One pitcher can't pitch every game and games aren't won without good bats. With ALL their pitchers healthy, and all their bats going, Pikeville can stand up to any team in the region.
Ive seen Cecil throw and kno of his capabilities and he shouldn't be a problem if the eagles continue to hit the ball the way they are. And your correct i haven't heard of Hamilton.
I'm looking forward to seeing pikeville play jc at another ballpark besides their own.
Moundbound Wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing pikeville play jc at another ballpark besides their own.
Visitors at Pikeville have the advantage. Unless the team is better than the Panthers. Davis Park levels the playing field. Great facility, but it is detrimental to the better team.
Very nice facility they have. But not all the players are use to the smooth turf. And high bounces. I love the field tho
Moundbound Wrote:Ive seen Cecil throw and kno of his capabilities and he shouldn't be a problem if the eagles continue to hit the ball the way they are. And your correct i haven't heard of Hamilton.

If you are a JC fan, you should have. He humiliated JC last year as an 8th grader.
Bob Seger Wrote:If you are a JC fan, you should have. He humiliated JC last year as an 8th grader.

And thats a fact. That was huge for an 8th grader.
Bob Seger Wrote:If you are a JC fan, you should have. He humiliated JC last year as an 8th grader.
I think they had a tournament in Lex. just off Broadway,last year and let the Hamilton kid in without a ticket. Actually I think they let him go on the field with a glove. This was after most teams had hung up the old cleats.
pikeville has 1-3 pitchers pretty equal in their own ways anyone of them can step up and pitch against a good team, i dont think either of them get more lead away than the others.