Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Nintendo Emulator.
Ok guys so the past few nights ive done nothing but play Super Mario, Killer Instinct, and NBA Jam on a SNES Emulator for my computer. I hook my Xbox controller up and use it as a SNES controller. You can play any game for any console ever made. From Atari to Xbox. Its Amazing,

NOw here is the crazy part.

YOU CAN PLAY AGAINST EACH OTHER ONLINE!

Yes, Classic NBA JAM, Killer Instinct, Mario, Donkey Kong, ONLINE.

Its amazing. Anyone wanting to check it out. Post on here an ill do a full Tutorial.
Like emroms? I might have a few of those.
Yea, Its pretty amazing.,
How do I do this?
It's also illegal Wink
I wouldn't recommend posting anything lol
zaga_fan Wrote:It's also illegal Wink

I said maybe, not that I did Big Grin
zaga_fan Wrote:It's also illegal Wink

Under United States law, obtaining a dumped copy of the original machine's BIOS is legal under the ruling Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 964 F.2d 965 (9th Cir. 1992) as fair use as long as the user obtained a legally purchased copy of the machine. However, several emulators for platforms such as Game Boy Advance are capable of running without a BIOS file, using high-level emulation to simulate BIOS subroutines at a slight cost in emulation accuracy.
What are Emulators?

They are programs which allow software to be run on a device for which it was not originally intended. For example, Nintendo games on a PC.

Are Emulators illegal?

No. They can however be used to run illegal software. The emulators on this site are only intended for use with legal software.

What are ROMs?

They are the code extracted from video game cartridges. When the code is run by an emulator, it allows you to play the game on a PC.

Are ROMs illegal?

The trading of ROMs via the Internet is a grey area, at best, in terms of legality. The generally accepted standard is that commercial ROMs are not illegal if you own the original cartridge and you create the ROM YOURSELF. However, this is a fairly complicated process.

Downloading a copy of of any commercial ROM, whether you own the original cartridge or not, is likely illegal. There certainly is no "24 hour trial" rule written in the law. That is a myth. For this reason, no commercial ROMs are available for download on this site. Also, for what it's worth, there aren't any non-commercial ROMs for download either.

What is a commercial ROM?

Any ROM that was created from a video game cartridge sold in stores. For example: All Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Mega Man, and Metroid ROMs are commercial ROMs. There are a handful of ROMs made by individuals as a hobby that were created for the public that are not commercial ROMs. But basically any game that was available on a video game system is a commercial ROM.

What are Hacked ROMs?

They are game for which the original code has been altered to create a new version. These changes often include new graphics, levels, or text.

Are Hacked ROMs illegal?

It depends. A hacked ROM contains two parts; the altered code which is certainly not copyrighted, and the unchanged code which is part of the original ROM. Therefore, downloading a complete, playable hacked ROM is likely illegal because a portion of the ROM is still copyrighted.

However, the downloadable files on this site contain ONLY the altered code which is not copyrighted. Therefore, it is legal to download any of the hacked ROMs on this site.

http://www.derok.net/emulation0/faqs.html
An emulator is a program like any other, and falls under the same rules and guidelines that affect all software. The intended usage of an emulator does not affect its legality in anyway.

The usage of an emulator is also completely legal, and any reverse engineering of a system's BIOS to make emulation possible is also legal. The case of Sony vs. Connectix concluded the following:

"Connectix's reverse engineering of the Sony BIOS extracted from a Sony PlayStation console purchased by Connectix engineers is protected as a fair use."

There are some gray areas regarding this however. Some emulators require a copy of the system's BIOS to operate, and distributing a BIOS file is in fact illegal unless the copyright holder authorizes the distribution, or if the copyright becomes nullified.(Which can happen because of other events not discussed here.)

ROMs unto themselves are also perfectly legal to own, copy, and distribute. These rules do NOT apply to copyrighted material however, and it just so happens that most ROMs are made from data that is still under copyright.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_emulators_...z1JRxYzeJt
Open
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ok guys so the past few nights ive done nothing but play Super Mario, Killer Instinct, and NBA Jam on a SNES Emulator for my computer. I hook my Xbox controller up and use it as a SNES controller. You can play any game for any console ever made. From Atari to Xbox. Its Amazing,

NOw here is the crazy part.

YOU CAN PLAY AGAINST EACH OTHER ONLINE!

Yes, Classic NBA JAM, Killer Instinct, Mario, Donkey Kong, ONLINE.

Its amazing. Anyone wanting to check it out. Post on here an ill do a full Tutorial.

Wildcatk23 and LWC took their Mario Brothers fun a little too far!

[Image: http://i56.tinypic.com/jp9a9u.gif]
LWC? I dont see the Princess in the Picture?
^From the appearance of it, they aren't far from princesses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]