Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Baseball
Does anyone keep up with UK's baseball team? If so, how are they doing?
MisterPerfect Wrote:Does anyone keep up with UK's baseball team? If so, how are they doing?

There Sucking. There 17-21 (2-13 SEC) They lost to WKU 11-8 Last Night. Only Good thing about them so far is they did beat Loserville 3-2 @ Loserville

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-base...sched.html
Ouch, that's a terrible looking record! I thought they were always kinda decent. I don't really follow UK baseball or any sort of baseball. lol
From what I have been told by my Louisa pal, Chandler Shepherd will be a great addition for that team next year. Kid has thrown 3 no-no's thus far for an unbeaten Lawrence County squad.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Ouch, that's a terrible looking record! I thought they were always kinda decent. I don't really follow UK baseball or any sort of baseball. lol

there terrible. don't believe they'll get any better til Next Year

dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:From what I have been told by my Louisa pal, Chandler Shepherd will be a great addition for that team next year. Kid has thrown 3 no-no's thus far for an unbeaten Lawrence County squad.

Lawrence County is 13-2. I do agree he will be a big help to UK next year
College baseball is ruled by the SEC.
MVP2 Wrote:College baseball is ruled by the SEC.

It is scary how good the SEC is.
A former player of ours is a team manager for the Cats. There is a lot of drama going on and it looks like there will be a coaching change.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:from what i have been told by my louisa pal, chandler shepherd will be a great addition for that team next year. Kid has thrown 3 no-no's thus far for an unbeaten lawrence county squad.

from what i have heard shepard is going to throw his name in the draft and if he gets drafted high enough hes going but if he dont then he signed with uk to have a backup plan but just a rumorthat i have heard
Stardust Wrote:A former player of ours is a team manager for the Cats. There is a lot of drama going on and it looks like there will be a coaching change.

They need one he's done nothing since he's been there
SCHS#70 Wrote:from what i have heard shepard is going to throw his name in the draft and if he gets drafted high enough hes going but if he dont then he signed with uk to have a backup plan but just a rumorthat i have heard
Basically every high school senior is eligible for the draft. No entry required.
SCHS#70 Wrote:from what i have heard shepard is going to throw his name in the draft and if he gets drafted high enough hes going but if he dont then he signed with uk to have a backup plan but just a rumorthat i have heard

There is no hat to throw your name into. If he does get drafted and does decide to go, he can never come back and play at the college level. If he does decide to go to Uk , he is not eligible to be drafted gain until after his junior year in college. It's a big decision.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Basically every high school senior is eligible for the draft. No entry required.

Lol, agreed. I've known of kids who were drafted that knew nothing of it until they received a call.
Strikeout King Wrote:They need one he's done nothing since he's been there

Then you obviously have not followed UK Baseball very closely. He came to UK with a very impressive resume as an assistant, winning the National Assistant Coach of the Year Award while at Florida.

I think that he and John Cohen formed a dynamic duo together, however both have not been very successful alone while they have gone on to head coaching positions respectfully at both UK and at Mississsipi State. IDK, maybe they need each other to feed off of.

While working as Cohen's assistant Henderson was not only the pitching coach but was also responsible for recruiting. I know that as fact as I answered the phone many times when the weekly phones calls came with him on the other end. He was the one who brought in all of the talent and developed the pitching. The most glaring example of pitching development came with Greg Dombrowski and Brock Baber. They were two very unheralded walkons who became SEC stoppers.

I dont know what has happened since he took over the reins as the head coach, but make no mistake he is largely responsible for the success that UK baseball has enjoyed in recent years. Regardless, he certainly does not deserve that comment.
Stardust Wrote:Lol, agreed. I've known of kids who were drafted that knew nothing of it until they received a call.
I only know this because I tried to enter it as a joke after my senior year. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for that call each year.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I only know this because I tried to enter it as a joke after my senior year. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for that call each year.

Dang that AT&T!!!

Phone lines have obviously been messed up, PT.:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:Then you obviously have not followed UK Baseball very closely. He came to UK with a very impressive resume as an assistant, winning the National Assistant Coach of the Year Award while at Florida.

I think that he and John Cohen formed a dynamic duo together, however both have not been very successful alone while they have gone on to head coaching positions respectfully at both UK and at Mississsipi State. IDK, maybe they need each other to feed off of.

While working as Cohen's assistant Henderson was not only the pitching coach but was also responsible for recruiting. I know that as fact as I answered the phone many times when the weekly phones calls came with him on the other end. He was the one who brought in all of the talent and developed the pitching. The most glaring example of pitching development came with Greg Dombrowski and Brock Baber. They were two very unheralded walkons who became SEC stoppers.

I dont know what has happened since he took over the reins as the head coach, but make no mistake he is largely responsible for the success that UK baseball has enjoyed in recent years. Regardless, he certainly does not deserve that comment.

I just don't think he's that good of a coach, if he was then you wouldn't be hearing about a coaching change, he's only been here what 3 years?
Strikeout King Wrote:I just don't think he's that good of a coach, if he was then you wouldn't be hearing about a coaching change, he's only been here what 3 years?

Never mind. Apparently you didn't even read what I wrote.
Bob Seger Wrote:Never mind. Apparently you didn't even read what I wrote.

Yes I did read it and you are right he deosn't know deserve that comment. If they wanna win games and actually be able to play in the post season then they need to get someone in there that can but We're a Basketball School and a Basketball School Only!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I only know this because I tried to enter it as a joke after my senior year. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for that call each year.

LOL :lmao:
:Thumbs:
Strikeout King Wrote:Yes I did read it and you are right he deosn't know deserve that comment. If they wanna win games and actually be able to play in the post season then they need to get someone in there that can but We're a Basketball School and a Basketball School Only!

Why? Why can't we be a Basketball, Football and Baseball school? There are plenty of great ATHLETIC schools across the country that compete for titles in those three sports, but we ONLY want to be a Basketball school????:HitWall:
Stardust Wrote:Why? Why can't we be a Basketball, Football and Baseball school? There are plenty of great ATHLETIC schools across the country that compete for titles in those three sports, but we ONLY want to be a Basketball school????:HitWall:

Don't ask me, ask Mitch Barnhart. If you look they've put more into Basketball then they have Football and Baseball. I'm not saying they don't care about other sports but they just don't put much into others as they do Basketball if they did then they would have hired better coaches then what they have hired for other sports in the past.
Strikeout King Wrote:Don't ask me, ask Mitch Barnhart. If you look they've put more into Basketball then they have Football and Baseball. I'm not saying they don't care about other sports but they just don't put much into others as they do Basketball if they did then they would have hired better coaches then what they have hired for other sports in the past.

My question is rhetorical, not directed at you. But forever, all we ever hear is that UK is a basketball school. That should not be acceptable.
Stardust Wrote:My question is rhetorical, not directed at you. But forever, all we ever hear is that UK is a basketball school. That should not be acceptable.

I agree. they should put more into the other sports than what they do but they don't and we have to live with it. I Love Baseball, Its my Life, I wanna see them do good but they need to put more into it
Strikeout King Wrote:I agree. they should put more into the other sports than what they do but they don't and we have to live with it. I Love Baseball, Its my Life, I wanna see them do good but they need to put more into it

I'd like to see them put it into baseball, but to be honest, they need to start with football. You cannot be in the SEC and be OK with your football program being nothing more than .500. I don't buy into recruits do not want to come to a school like UK or they can't get great coaches. If they can do it at whacked out places like Utah, Boise, Washington, then they can do it at UK!
How in the world could anybody even think about critisizing Mitch Barnhardt for the way in which he has handled the UK baseball program. I think Barnhart does want to see UK baseball succeed and proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. His coaching hire turned UK from a cellar dweller program in the toughest conference in the country into a legitimate conference powerhouse in just a few short years. Cohen was the hottest coaching commodity in the country while at UK .Stop and think what Cohen/Henderson did in the time they were together. They reached heights never ever before acheived by any team in the history of Kentucky baseball. Cohen was such a hot commodity while at UK that when the job came open at his alma mater (Mississippi State) he was able to trump Ron Polk's wishes of Miss State hiring his hand picked successor. Polk became so enraged that the selection committe went with Cohen that he demanded that his name come down from the Miss State stadium. Since Henderson was such a vital part of UK's success with Cohen , it was only natural that Barnhart hand over the reins to Henderson. Henderson earned the right of being given the first shot.

Barnhardt also pumped a lot of money into the renovation of Cliff Hagan stadium and a promise of a new stadium was made. However I dont know what ever happened to that development.
Bob Seger Wrote:How in the world could anybody even think about critisizing Mitch Barnhardt for the way in which he has handled the UK baseball program. I think Barnhart does want to see UK baseball succeed and proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. His coaching hire turned UK from a cellar dweller program in the toughest conference in the country into a legitimate conference powerhouse in just a few short years. Cohen was the hottest coaching commodity in the country while at UK .Stop and think what Cohen/Henderson did in the time they were together. They reached heights never ever before acheived by any team in the history of Kentucky baseball. Cohen was such a hot commodity while at UK that when the job came open at his alma mater (Mississippi State) he was able to trump Ron Polk's wishes of Miss State hiring his hand picked successor. Polk became so enraged that the selection committe went with Cohen that he demanded that his name come down from the Miss State stadium. Since Henderson was such a vital part of UK's success with Cohen , it was only natural that Barnhart hand over the reins to Henderson. Henderson earned the right of being given the first shot.

Barnhardt also pumped a lot of money into the renovation of Cliff Hagan stadium and a promise of a new stadium was made. However I dont know what ever happened to that development.

he did do a Excellent job when he hired Cohen but since Cohen left for Miss. State, Barhart didn't put much into the Coaching Search for the Baseball Program. Past few years they haven't shown anything. Since Gary Henderson was hired at Kentucky in 2009 he is only 2 games about .500 at 74-72 (including the games that have been played this year)

2009: 26-24
2010: 31-27
2011: 17-21

All I'm saying is that they don't put as much into other sports like they do Basketball like Cal State Fullerton for an Example there a Baseball School, Every year there Ranked and they go deep into the post season
Don't get me wrong I Love UK, I Bleed Blue but all I'm saying is that they don't put much into other sports like other schools do, I'm not saying they don't put nothing into it because that would be telling something that isn't true, they do put stuff, money, etc. etc. into sports just not as much as Basketball. Speaking of Basketball, anyone know when there suppose to start on New Arena?
[quote=Strikeout King]he did do a Excellent job when he hired Cohen but since Cohen left for Miss. State, Barhart didn't put much into the Coaching Search for the Baseball Program. Past few years they haven't shown anything. Since Gary Henderson was hired at Kentucky in 2009 he is only 2 games about .500 at 74-72 (including the games that have been played this year)

2009: 26-24
2010: 31-27
2011: 17-21

All I'm saying is that they don't put as much into other sports like they do Basketball like Cal State Fullerton for an Example there a Baseball School, Every year there Ranked and they go deep into the post season.

They are also like all of the other powerhouse college programs in the country. Most are located in the deep south and in the far west where favorable year round climates allows for a greater selection of nearby local talent. Kentucky and surrounding states just do not have the ample supply of nearby talent. Kentucky has to compete with all of the southern powerhouse programs for the same players living in their own back yards. That's whats makes coaching at UK unattractive to an established big time coach. Too many recruiting obstacles to overcome from their SEC counterparts.