Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do cheerleading discussions get so heated? Any theories?
Why is it that every other sport discussion is simple? Everytime cheerleading is brought up a fight/war starts.

I want to know everyones thoughts on why this is. Please do not mention any squads or schools specifically, that will just start another argument.
"PvilleCheerAlum" Wrote:Why is it that every other sport discussion is simple? Everytime cheerleading is brought up a fight/war starts.

I want to know everyones thoughts on why this is. Please do not mention any squads or schools specifically, that will just start another argument.

Because mothers and daughters are involved. Simple as that. I should know..I am one of those mothers!!Wink Smile
Just like Motley Crue says . . . .

Girls, Girls, Girls . . . .
Shew because my girlfriend is one of those cool cheerleaders that like to argue lol
"PvilleCheerAlum" Wrote:Why is it that every other sport discussion is simple? Everytime cheerleading is brought up a fight/war starts.

That's not so true. You can check any other thread or sports chat forums for that matter and see that it's pride and passion that skews most reasonable people's discussions on sports and cheer. Pride in one's school, Pride in one's kids, Pride in one's tradition, Passion for one's kids, Passion for one's fav sport, Passion to be and/or being the BEST. You get me? People can not remain objective... hence, all the bruhahas!:big grin: I get peeved when discussing my own school's issues because I see so much wasted talent, so many huge egos, so much manipulation, and so much wasted time!
Because some people think they know what they are talking about and they really have no idea. They have no idea what it is like to compete and actually know what a "good squad" is like.
"Pirate Pal" Wrote:Because mothers and daughters are involved. Simple as that. I should know..I am one of those mothers!!Wink Smile

Amen!!!
look carefully, this is NOT about "is cheerleading a sport" or anything like that so you don't have to back it up or anything.

on topic, it's just controversial because some think it's needed and some don't, some think it's a sport and some don't. it's just one of those gray lines for most people.
I'm tired of everybody arguing about it though!
now that i think about it, this thread is kind of a gray line itself. and unfortunately a recipe for another disaster.
"acoustic_andrew" Wrote:look carefully, this is NOT about "is cheerleading a sport" or anything like that so you don't have to back it up or anything.

on topic, it's just controversial because some think it's needed and some don't, some think it's a sport and some don't. it's just one of those gray lines for most people.
I'm tired of everybody arguing about it though!

Perfect example!!!
People can srart talking about Cheer and then someone that doesn't have a clue gets on here and says something like this! then us emotional people get piffed because to us, cheer is as black and white as it can be!!
"The Guru" Wrote:Perfect example!!!
People can srart talking about Cheer and then someone that doesn't have a clue gets on here and says something like this! then us emotional people get piffed because to us, cheer is as black and white as it can be!!

You are exactly right Guru! I think that this is really one of the reasons there are such heated discussions in cheer. The people involved with cheer feel like the girls or boys don't get any respect what so ever because ussually people don't have a clue. And most of the squads don't get respect. Just simply unfair. Plus, another reason cheerleading discussions get so heat is that if you look at cheerleaders and their parents. The parents ussually (Not always), former cheerleaders or athletes themselves. So they ussually cary alot of team or school spirit, and Cheerleaders are the most spirited ATHLETES that there are. So they are VERY competetive.

But, what do I know.:Cheerlead
In my opinion, girls get on here and read and read about basketball and just DIE for the opportunity to express their feelings about something they really know alot about, and when a thread is brought up about something dealing with cheerleading, we want to get in as much as we know!Wink
so now i'm being attacked? i simply answered the thread question.

I like and respect cheerleading and cheerleaders. I know a bit about it, my sister was a varsity cheerleader all 4 years and then went on to cheer at Marshall, so i've had to travel and be around it my fair share.
thanks
"wildcat20" Wrote:In my opinion, girls get on here and read and read about basketball and just DIE for the opportunity to express their feelings about something they really know alot about, and when a thread is brought up about something dealing with cheerleading, we want to get in as much as we know!Wink

I think that this is a very interesting post. Because if it is the truth--these girls really need to think about why they are cheerleading to begin with.

Are you doing it because you love it, or are you doing it because you want to be known as a cheerleader?

There is NOTHING wrong with being passionate about what you love--but so far, the trend here is that most of the cheerleading stuff turns into some silly argument. Which, again, is a complete shame.

The culture here needs to change. Lets be a little more willing to discuss who is good, why they are goo, etc--as opposed to trying to tear all of the other teams down.
I thought things were looking good. Some nice posts have been made and good points expressed. I read through the other sports threads and some of the things said there are not only stupid but completely uncalled for. We can't discuss "who's the best" until the division is posted... otherwise it's like asking "who's the best football team" and never mentioning anything about which class you're wanting to discuss.
"Fuzzy5118" Wrote:I thought things were looking good. Some nice posts have been made and good points expressed. I read through the other sports threads and some of the things said there are not only stupid but completely uncalled for. We can't discuss "who's the best" until the division is posted... otherwise it's like asking "who's the best football team" and never mentioning anything about which class you're wanting to discuss.

They are looking a little better--but things tend to go downhill in a hurry.

Personally, I like the cheerleading competition. Not just because they are "cheerleaders" but--some of the best runners I have ever coached (including one that recently signed a full scholarship to run at Louisville) were/are cheerleaders. There is something about their athletic ability (and their ability to deal with pressure) that puts them a step ahead.

I just don't want things to go downhill.
You're making me giggle @ the screen! I know exactly what you're talking about though!
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:They are looking a little better--but things tend to go downhill in a hurry.

Personally, I like the cheerleading competition. Not just because they are "cheerleaders" but--some of the best runners I have ever coached (including one that recently signed a full scholarship to run at Louisville) were/are cheerleaders. There is something about their athletic ability (and their ability to deal with pressure) that puts them a step ahead.

I just don't want things to go downhill.

You said a mouth full. I have been to alot of pretty good sized competions and let me tell you something, the pressure is unreal! But, it seems like it never phases those girls. I would be trimbling at the knees and not be able to walk, let alone tumble and remember my spots and what to say. I got nothing but RESPECT for the girls that get out there.
One last thing. I saw something tonight thatif it had happened to my daughter. They would have had to drag me out of the gym in cuffs.
Both squads were facing their side of the gym prior to the game and doing pre game cheers. Well, One of the basketball teams were doing pre game warmup (defensive slides) and the player (a Coaches son) was aproaching the other teams cheerleaders and instead of stopping shy of the girls, he flat out barreled over the back row cheerlead, went completley to the sidelines and then sprinted through the squads formation. He is entire team followed him and continued to do this for at 1 1/2 mins. You talk about classless and dangerous.:wtf1:

Lack of respect is what causes most problems!
Maybe a thread on etiquette or perhaps common courtesy could cover this sort of thing! Couldn't hang last night had to catch some "zee's"! C'ya later!
:Thumbs:
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:Just like Motley Crue says . . . .

Girls, Girls, Girls . . . .

i'll second that ... i am going to have to read these cheerleading forums more often lots of good "conversation"
Quote:I think that this is a very interesting post. Because if it is the truth--these girls really need to think about why they are cheerleading to begin with.

Are you doing it because you love it, or are you doing it because you want to be known as a cheerleader?

There is NOTHING wrong with being passionate about what you love--but so far, the trend here is that most of the cheerleading stuff turns into some silly argument. Which, again, is a complete shame.

The culture here needs to change. Lets be a little more willing to discuss who is good, why they are goo, etc--as opposed to trying to tear all of the other teams down.
I cheer because I love it, now I can't speak for everyone
Ahhhh I can feel it coming on... KentuckyHillbilly5321..... Spell it..... I x N x T x E x G x R x I x T x Y!!!! There's nothing like it! I love girls who cheer for the love of their school, their friends who are playing, and/or the sport of cheer!!! I EQUALLY LOVE CHEER COACHES who coach to help advance their squad, help their school, and love all the girls and players equally! If a cheer leader is in it to be seen or bump up her popularity no one has to say it out loud, HECK, SHE'LL STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB....
same for coaches.... IF THEIR HEART ISN'T PURE AND THEY AREN'T TREATING PEOPLE'S CHILDREN WITH DIGNITY OR RESPECT (no matter how they crybag to their super/principal/ad/ asst. principal, OR stand around with their noses buried deep in power peoples fannies...... IT WILL COME HOME TO ROOST IN SOME FASHION... IT ALWAYS DOES AND IT, TOO, STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!
I goofed up there while I was preaching to people in the room...Ha!... but what I wanted to finish by saying was...... and this is something every pure cheer person knows deep down.... Cheer leaders are in it for the love of their school, their players, and the sport of cheer.... they love it like no other..... Cheer leading is all about HEART... MILES AND MILES OF HEART! You can't treat it like a business because it has nothing in the least to do with that breed of cat!
im glad that everyone had something to say on the matter. I completely agree that people get on here that have no idea what they are talking about and just run their mouth to be able to see their own post. hehe.

Its good that people can get on here and talk about cheerleading because it IS a very controversial sport. New rules are being made everyday. Not to improve cheerleading relations, like making small, medium, and large based on school size instead of how many people you have to put out on the floor. These rules are made everytime you see a high school cheerleader on the national news who fell out of a stunt and broke something, or landed on her head tumbling. This is not because of the sport of cheerleading. It is because of bad trainers/coaches who think coaching cheerleading would be easy and just sign up to do it for fun. These are the kinds of regulations that need to be made. Not regulations limiting what kind of stunts can be done, or tumbling that can be thrown.

Cheerleading is going through the same scrutiny that all womens sports have come across throughout history. Womens basketball and other predominant womens sports have had the same response to people thinking that girls shouldnt be allowed to participate in strenuous activity. Cheerleading did start out as a means of support for the mens teams. It has evolved.

Cheering for basketball games and football games are extemely miserable to me. Most of the time the crowd has no desire to cheer along. In high school, these games are a social event most of the times. Cheerleading doesnt become fun for the cheerleaders unless they have a good fan section.

So to all you fans and spectators out there, give the cheerleaders a break. Cheer along with them and clap when they leave the floor after a cheer. These girls work very hard to be there for their teams, but they can only do so much.
lol cheerleading is so a sport and worth arguin over and you really shouldnt say that bout your girlfriend you never know when shes reading this and replying back! lol:thumb:
"Cartman" Wrote:Shew because my girlfriend is one of those cool cheerleaders that like to argue lol
Because we are girls and we think our sport is just as good as n e guy sport so we like to show it.....
Because its women, and they like to argue
I cheered for about 11 years and I have to say that I loved it more than anything in the world. And no-- it wasn't just because I could say I was a cheerleader... it was because there is nothing better than stepping out onto that blue cheer floor in front of everyone getting ready to compete, or with 3 seconds left in the game and your up by one and everyone in the entire gym is screaming, or having a bad day and coming to practice to about 15 of the best friends you'll ever have in your life being there for you. That's what cheerleading is... the heart, the excitement, and the pride. IMO- there is no other sport out there that you will find more of those 3 things in it that cheerleading.
I think the statement that it doesn't happen in other arenas is absoulutely wrong.  Have you read the basketball forum. It's all about school spirit and passion.  The same things are said at the games and during school.  I agree that it does get out of hand but it's in every sport not just cheerleading. And people do say things they have no knowledge of and that does start controversy when maybe there isn't any.