Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kings to KY or Cincy: Good or Bad idea?
There other thing that is missing is television dollars. The Reds do have a television contract, but it is the lowest paid contract in MLB. There is not enough advertising dollars in the Cincy market to pay a $100M tv deal!
Stardust Wrote:Hmm, then why do the Bengals and Reds not have major money coming from these two?

I do not want to sound like sour-grapes, because I am not sour. I know the Kings have been terrible, so the major sponsors may not follow them either BUT the Bengals and Reds have really stunk it up for years. Late 80's and Early 90's they were pretty good and both have had a season or two that was pretty good but more often than not they had been terrible, just like the Kings.

That is probably why it is so hard for sell-outs and major sponsorship. Why would Kroger slap their name on a team that goes 3-13 basically every year or 70-92?

No excuse for me either, aside from the Chris Webber years, the Kings have been just a step above the Clippers (most years).

At least the Reds, Bengals and Kings can be thankful for the Pirates, Browns and Clippers over the years. Wink
^I just re-read that post and it made me lol again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMHO, a pro team in KY would hurt UK.
It wont happen and never will.
Id like to see them in Cincy or maybe even Knoxville.
I think they should stay in Sacramento. The Kings had an excellent stretch from 1998 until about 2006. They have gone through a down spell as of late, but things are really starting to look like they will pick up with guys like Hayes, Cousins, Thorton, and Evans around. It would be nice to have a local pro team, but I just don't see it happening so I'll stick to my Cavs, since they are the closest thing to home. Big Grin
This comment recently made by David Stern makes things interesting:

"I don’t have any current view on where such a team comes from. We deal with a lot of cities. Seattle happens to be another great city. We’ve dealt with everything from Kansas City to Virginia Beach to Pittsburgh, Columbus, Louisville – all cities of the certain type who would very much like to be considered for an NBA franchise. Anaheim, Vancouver, Las Vegas. So Seattle is very much in the mix."
Cincinnati would not support an NBA team.
The local NFL has a hard time selling out(although that money is pure profit since all expenses are paid through the leagues TV deal), even with the run the Reds made this year people went grudgingly. NBA would have a difficult time putting butts in the seat. As Dusty said we like the college game just less than 7 miles from downtown Cincinnati are 3 D-1 schools, less than an hour you can add UK, Dayton, and for the northern suburbs THE Ohio State University.
Plus the multiple lower level college basketball teams
^I agree. However, according to David Stern, Louisville has reached out about obtaining an NBA team, so they certainly want to try.

Maybe Humana and Yum! would swing enough corporate boxes and seats to make it possible.

Also, there are teams other than the Lakers, Celtics and Heat. Teams and owners tend to know what their possibilities are.