Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011-2012 Preview
Due to some changes up coming in my near future, I won't be living or coaching within the 15th region next year. So before I go, I thought I would give my outlook on what 2011 and 2012 will be in Floyd and Pike County...

Floyd County

All County Team -

G - Kory Stevens (Betsy Layne)
- Strength: Kid is one of the most coachable kids I have ever seen and can play the point, the wing or on the block though his size is fooling.

-Weakness: Needs to toughen up a little when attacking the basket, sometimes shy's away from contact which limits 3 point play chances.

G - Nate Hall (Allen)
Strength - Kid is as good with his left hand as he is his right hand, sometimes make it hard to know which way to guard and will have chances to make plays with JT Hall in the middle.

Weakness - Too unselfish, sometimes in the games I have seen, he seems to get lost in the game when he can make plays to help his team take over.

G/F - Andrew Tackett (South Floyd)
Strength - Almost impossible to guard when he wants to attack the goal with his size and talent. Can also knock down the deep shot whenever you back off to take away the drive.

Weakness - Tunnel vision, whenever he attacks the goal and defense helps off on him, he will force a bad shot rather then find the open man.

F - Dalton Fraizer (Adams)
Strength - Probably the most dominate player in Floyd County, maybe even the 15th region next year with his size and skill under the goal.

Weakness - If you can force him away from the goal, his ball handling is at best questionable. Needs to develop his ability to attack the basket from mid range.

F/C - Zach Hall (South Floyd)
Strength - His size and skill are some of the best you will find, but he is also surprisingly quick and being a south paul makes him even harder to guard.

Weakness - Sometimes will settle for the outside shot rather then battling for position on the block where he can dominate a game.

Top Three Teams -
1.South Floyd
2.Adams
3.Betsy Layne

Pike County

All County Team

G - Chandler Rowe (Virgie)
Maybe the most talented kid in the 15th region, with big game experience and talent to be a true floor general even at such a young age.

Weakness - The unknown, how will he react next year (if he plays grade school ball at all) when all of the focus is on him and he does not have the same talent around him to help keep defenses honest.

G - Ryder Johnson (Pikeville)
Strength - Ability to control a game and push the ball which helps the team of athletes he has around him find easy shots and quickness to cause match up problems on both ends of the court.

G/F - Cody Charles (Pikeville)
Strength - His talent is really good for his age level but the body is built like a full grown man which makes it hard to stop him if he wants to post or attack the basket.

Weakness - Attitude, can sometimes take himself completely out of a game if one call or one play goes bad.

F - Hunter Swindell (Dorton)
Strength - Very talented player that can shoot the ball, attack the basket and rebound along with good shut down defense. His length for the average size player next year will make him tough to handle on both ends.

Weakness - Attitude, sometimes he can let his emotions get the best of him when someone plays him physical which can lead to cheap fouls.

F/C - Logan Newsome (Mullins)
Strenght - Most coachable kid you will ever meet, with a ton of up side still. Probably the most fundamental true big man I have seen next year in Pike County.

Weakness - Team mates shoot too many three and take him totally out of the game by not giving him touches and not giving him a chance to rebound the ball for put backs.

Top Three Teams -
1.Pikeville
2.Dorton
3.Mullins

------------------------------

15th Region Top 10
1.Louisa
2.Pikeville
3.Paintsville
4.Johnson Central
5.Dorton
6.South Floyd
7.Mullins
8.Martin County
9.Adams
10.Betsy Layne
Very sorry to hear you are leaving. I wish you all the best. You will be missed in the 15th. Looks like some good rankings. Louisa and Pikeville always battle to the end.
Sad to see you go as well. You will truly be missed. Louisa and Pikeville are 1 and 1A. Those two teams battle it out until the end every time they play eachother.

I look for Pikeville to win Pike County pretty easily. With Charles, Johnson, May, and Silvers they just have so many offensive weapons. Johnson pushing the ball and getting May open shots and Charles and Silvers dominating the paint. Their defense is one of the best as well.

Louisa has a talented group of players and just about every player on their team can shoot the basketball very well minus guy. #23 and #2 are great shooters and if you leave them open you are in trouble!

The 15th region has a very bright future even after Richardson and those guys graduate. This class has a lot of talented teams. Pikeville, Louisa, JC, Paintsville, and Dorton are all very talented, well coached teams.
Wow! Can you believe we are already talking next season? I'm sure not ready. We played a heck of a schedule last season. I have actually been to more games in the last year than any other year in my life. I would say that Hunter has played in well over 100 games in the last year. I sure hope this coming season he can equal that desire to keep playing hard and getting better.
I know that it is hard to forecast what will happen next season so far away from the first tip-off but, I will give it a go as well. I guess most of you know that I will no longer be coaching but I will still be attending as many games as possible. My predictions are based on what I have seen and the schools I have not seen will take a little imagination based on their coaches and previous seasons.

15th region: 1. Pikeville Panthers 2. Johnson Central 3. Dorton Wildcats 4. Louisa (Lawrance County) 5. Virgie Eagles 6. Johns Creek 7. Adams 8. Paintsville 9. South Floyd 10. Belfry/Betsy Layne/Mullins/Martin Co.

Should be another great season although the top five are a lot closer than last season. Last season, I thought Virgie was 20 pts. better than everyone on their best night!
Cougar Connection Wrote:Wow! Can you believe we are already talking next season? I'm sure not ready. We played a heck of a schedule last season. I have actually been to more games in the last year than any other year in my life. I would say that Hunter has played in well over 100 games in the last year. I sure hope this coming season he can equal that desire to keep playing hard and getting better.
I know that it is hard to forecast what will happen next season so far away from the first tip-off but, I will give it a go as well. I guess most of you know that I will no longer be coaching but I will still be attending as many games as possible. My predictions are based on what I have seen and the schools I have not seen will take a little imagination based on their coaches and previous seasons.

15th region: 1. Pikeville Panthers 2. Johnson Central 3. Dorton Wildcats 4. Louisa (Lawrance County) 5. Virgie Eagles 6. Johns Creek 7. Adams 8. Paintsville 9. South Floyd 10. Belfry/Betsy Layne/Mullins/Martin Co.

Should be another great season although the top five are a lot closer than last season. Last season, I thought Virgie was 20 pts. better than everyone on their best night!

Not sure about 20 pts. better than everyone, Johnson County finished 2nd in the state. Got beat by one point in the championship. As for next years rankings I would rank Johnson County 4th , behind Pikeville, Louisa and DOrton.
MR. Slate Wrote:Not sure about 20 pts. better than everyone, Johnson County finished 2nd in the state. Got beat by one point in the championship. As for next years rankings I would rank Johnson County 4th , behind Pikeville, Louisa and DOrton.

I am not going to deny the fact that the state team was not the team that played all season. I was comparing the team everybody else played. I think we beat them pretty easy in the 15th regional tourney but, that was not the team that went to state. I thought the match up between Virgie and Johnson County (with all their players) was pretty even. I love this game. Don't you, I mean, we have some great players and teams right here in Eastern Kentucky!
Good luck to all teams next season. I will be watching! Maybe I can continue where B-Ball leaves off. I sure invite everyone to make their arguments be made known.
FYI... if you want to be honest the best team didn't even play together last season (Feds Creek).
I agree Coach. Feds Creek would've been very dangerous last year if Justice and Miller played.
1. Louisa
1A. Pikeville
3. Dorton
4. Paintsville
5. Johnson Central
6. Magoffin

Haven't seen too much of the other teams. Should be fun.
Out of the teams I have seen:
1. Louisa
1A. Pikeville
2.Magoffin
3.Dorton
4.Johnson Central
5.South Floyd
All these teams are good picks for 15 region next year.
mullins is lookin good for next year tho too
Pikeville went 13-0 and won the tournament in the 8th Grade Division at Happy Osborne's Georgetown Team Camp! They defeated Scott County, North Oldham, South Oldham, Oldham County twice, Barrett (Louisville Male), Taylor County, Logan (WV), South Warren, Bullitt Central, Royal Springs, and Bullitt East twice (Championship). Very strong showing by the Panthers.
adidas_4 Wrote:Pikeville went 13-0 and won the tournament in the 8th Grade Division at Happy Osborne's Georgetown Team Camp! They defeated Scott County, North Oldham, South Oldham, Oldham County twice, Barrett (Louisville Male), Taylor County, Logan (WV), South Warren, Bullitt Central, Royal Springs, and Bullitt East twice (Championship). Very strong showing by the Panthers.

Very impressive showing by the Panthers. To me the thing that makes them so tough to beat is that they play so well together.
Pikeville should be 15-20 points better than the 2nd best team in the county.
Don't forget about Paintsville. They have some really nice players. I am looking forward to the upcoming season. It is too far away but it will sneak up on us pretty soon.
Well I think that that the top players in the county will be.
1.Chandler Rowe
2.Trey Little
3.Cody Charles
4.Steven Silvers
5.Hunter Swindall
1.Paintsville
2.Louisa
3.Pikeville
betsy layne definatley one of the most talented teams in there region next year. You put kory stevens at pg, nate hall at sg, andrew tackett at sf, dalton meade at pf, and jt hall on the block.......:yikes: i expect betsy layne to win county atleast kory knows how to run a team and is not selfish at all, nate halls a 3 point shooter, andrew tackett is a dominant all around player, he can handle the ball but also play just about any position at about 6 feet tall, dalton meade a transfer from pike county can REBOUND the basketball. in the a team tournment last year dalton recorded 18 rebounds over pikevilles big bodys austin charles and steven silvers. dalton can also handle the ball and is a good shooter to be a big at about 6 foot. At center is the big body of allens transfer jt hall. jt can scpre in the post and is a tough rrebounder and post defender. plus this team attacks the basket and does not shoot many 3's with the exciption of nate hall. which means that they will get the ball to dalton and jt inside, and not a lot of 3's gives the bigs a chance to rebound the basketball for putbacks.
bgrfan 3 Wrote:betsy layne definatley one of the most talented teams in there region next year. You put kory stevens at pg, nate hall at sg, andrew tackett at sf, dalton meade at pf, and jt hall on the block.......:yikes: i expect betsy layne to win county atleast kory knows how to run a team and is not selfish at all, nate halls a 3 point shooter, andrew tackett is a dominant all around player, he can handle the ball but also play just about any position at about 6 feet tall, dalton meade a transfer from pike county can REBOUND the basketball. in the a team tournment last year dalton recorded 18 rebounds over pikevilles big bodys austin charles and steven silvers. dalton can also handle the ball and is a good shooter to be a big at about 6 foot. At center is the big body of allens transfer jt hall. jt can scpre in the post and is a tough rrebounder and post defender. plus this team attacks the basket and does not shoot many 3's with the exciption of nate hall. which means that they will get the ball to dalton and jt inside, and not a lot of 3's gives the bigs a chance to rebound the basketball for putbacks.

Thanks for the kind words about what Betsy Layne will have this year, though you kinda let the cat out of the bag. However, you did forget to mention some key players that could very well start for Betsy Layne this year as well. Aaron Rogers is extremely good at attacking the basket and finishing in traffic and can get to the free throw line. Kyle Watkins gained a ton of experience last year and has as much talent as anyone though he has not developed the height quite yet. Zach Hamilton was a big key in Betsy Layne's develop last year as well, he came on really strong at the end of the year for our B team and can really help out in the paint. Fact is, we go at least 8 deep this year and should be a really good team. But then you have other players from last year who could very well step up and contribute as well like Mason Swiger, Grant Osbourne, Nathan Brinager, Morgan Tackett and Jordan Kendrick (I am sure that I have left a few out and I am sorry if I have over looked someone). This should be another fun and successful year for the Bobcats! Can not wait to get it started!
Wait Betsy Layne recruits and its O.K. But Wesley does it and its not. You have a Allen, South Floyd, and Pike Central team now. You actually CAN'T be called Bobcats now? Can you ,lol, just kidding but why talk about other people? Good luck...:igiveup:
WESLEYRIDERSFAN Wrote:Wait Betsy Layne recruits and its O.K. But Wesley does it and its not. You have a Allen, South Floyd, and Pike Central team now. You actually CAN'T be called Bobcats now? Can you ,lol, just kidding but why talk about other people? Good luck...:igiveup:

:lmao::Clap:
[COLOR="Blue"]You guys have figured it out and your right. We at BL are giving kids FREE breakfast and lunches this year!!!

There coming from all over to be fed!!!

Coach Howard[/COLOR]
scbmike1 Wrote:[COLOR="Blue"]You guys have figured it out and your right. We at BL are giving kids FREE breakfast and lunches this year!!!

There coming from all over to be fed!!!

Coach Howard[/COLOR]

:lmao: Coach, now you have let the Bobcat out of the bag. That will be every school in the surrounding area's new recruiting gig. Wait & see if all surrounding counties dont have free breakfast & lunches all year now.:biggrin: