Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivals
I would like to know what other schools consider there rivals.
Belfry rivals would have to be:
Pikeville
P-burg
Russell
What i consider a rival is where they have played at least played 20 games and its not completly 1 team destroys all the time
for EX: Sheldon clark they have 4 or 5 wins over us but we have beat them 20 times
Prestonsburg

Belfry
Paintsville
Pikeville
Sheldon Clark
Rockcastle County:

Madison Southern (?)
Bell County
recently had some VERY good and important games with Knox Central

Teams like Corbin and Lincoln County have been good games over the years but we no longer play them consistently.

A little help from the Rock fans. So many teams we love to play, but we keep getting shuffled around, lol.
Estill County

Powell County
Owsley County
Lee County
George Rogers Clark
Montgomery County
Madison Southern (Don't know If you'd consider then our rivals or not but we do pay them in every sport every year besides Football)
Campbell County

Newport Catholic
Ryle
Boone County
Conner
Harlan and Pineville. We've been playing for 90+ years. Not sure what the record is,but I think Harlan's leading.
I would consider Belfry and Sheldon Clark rivals.
Real Badman Wrote:I would consider Belfry and Sheldon Clark rivals.

A recent rival in football but not a longstanding rival.
In other sports i think every school within the mountains are all "Rivals"
Boyle County:

Danville
Lexington Catholic
Raceland

Fairview
Russell
Greenup Co.

Lawrence Co. and Paintsville were old rivals that stopped that I would like to see stay on for a permanent basis.
LexCath-
Boyle County
For Montgomery Co its Clark Co. :ChairHit:
Lewis County:

West Carter
Bath County
Mason County
Bath County

Nicholas Co.
West Carter
Lewis Co.
Fleming Co.

(Rowan County used to be a huge game, but these teams haven't faced each other since '08)
Strikeout King Wrote:Estill County

Powell County
Owsley County
Lee County
George Rogers Clark
Montgomery County
Madison Southern (Don't know If you'd consider then our rivals or not but we do pay them in every sport every year besides Football)

Estill County

Football:

Powell County
Breathitt County

Basketball (Both Boys & Girls)

Powell County
Lee County
Owsley County
Madison Southern

Montgomery County & GRC (Even tho they don't play anymore)

Baseball

Powell County
Lee County
Owsley County
Madison Southern
Madison Central
George Rogers Clark
Montgomery County
Garrard County

Softball

Powell County
Lee County
Owsley County
Madison Southern
Madison Central
George Rogers Clark
Montgomery County
Garrard County
Dang SK, I don't think all of those are legit "rivals" to EC.
LClion4life Wrote:Dang SK, I don't think all of those are legit "rivals" to EC.

I don't know if Madison Southern, Madison Central and Garrard County are but we play them alot almost every year. but GRC & Montgomery County both are.
The Civil War Game

South Laurel: North Laurel

North Laurel: South Laurel
Perry Central-

Hazard
Letcher Central
*Leslie
*Breathitt
Belfry

Historical Rivalries, rivalries that have withstood the test of time and district boundaries.

Pikeville- Not a recent rivalry as Belfry has dominated the Panthers the past decade, but historically speaking it is probably one of the 10 best rivalries in the State

Pburg- Long time district competitors, and schools who have competed enough time in non-district games to earn the distinction.

Playoff Rivalries, teams with great traditions that are not consistently on the schedule, but always seem to appear in the playoffs:

Russell-Some old district history, but reclassification heated this one back up. Numerous matchups in significant playoff games this decade.

Breathitt County- See above.

Recent Rivalries/Rivalries by Proximity, upstart teams who have only recently found success or teams who have been made rivals due to simply being close.

Sheldon Clark- Back to back wins and 3 wins this decade has given this match up a rivalry tag.

Johnson Central- With the series starting back up JC has gained back to back wins for the first wins in the series' history.

Fringe Rivalries, sort of like UK vs. Duke in basketball. Similar prestige programs that are a rare occurrence when they play, but a rivalry exists based on acclaim:

Bell County- The Co-King of the Mountains.
Southwestern:

Pulaski County

Somerset
Now that a lot people have stated thier opinions. What are some longstanding rivalries
and they do not have to be a team that they have played recently?
The only ones that comes to mind is Pikeville, williamson, prestonsburg. I think we have all played them at least 50 times.pike and prestonsburg for sure.
This is a list of classic rivals for Henry County:
(Although in the past few years all of them dropped HC from the schedule due to HC's dominance against the smaller schools.)

Eminence-Was huge in county rivalry before their football program crumbled :thatsfunn(Rivalry now only played in basketball)
Owen County- Always a hyped border game, official last game of the series was this past season
Trimble County-Same as above
Carroll- The infamous "redneck VS River Rat game" :ChairHit:
(No longer played)
Gallatin-A Rivalry that stemmed from the district basketball rivalry between the schools. (this past season was the last time they will meet.)
Lee County:

As far as boys basketball is concerned.

Powell Co. has to be our biggest rival!
Estill Co.
Owsley Co.
Wolfe Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Somerset

Danville (every Somerset player wants this game more than any other regular season game, has always been that way)

Pulaski County
Southwestern
Somewhat of a rivalry with Russell Co.
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:LexCath-
Boyle County

The Boyle County/Lexington Catholic rivalry is starting to get bigger than the Boyle County/Danville rivalry. The game means more for both teams and the games are always competitive. No matter the outcome.
Highlands rivalry the whole state:Thumbs:
Johnson central and paintsville. A little forgotten tradition called the apple bowl.
East Carter and West Carter are huge rivals in every sport.
mrb5150 Wrote:Highlands rivalry the whole state:Thumbs:

A little over the top. Maybe someone like Covington Catholic?

With Highlands moving to 4A, I believe that the Boyle County/Highlands game could turn into a big rivalry game.