Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who leaves a greater legacy: Randall Cobb or Brandon Knight?
Randall Cobb

In my lifetime, I can’t remember a player, other than probably Tim Couch, who brought more energy and excitement to the University of Kentucky football program. Cobb was electrifying on the field and displayed utmost character and dedication to the university off of it. He holds the UK record for total touchdowns in a career and the SEC record for all-purpose yards in a season. He was named an All-American by multiple outlets in his final year in addition to being a consensus All-SEC selection. Cobb then went on to be drafted by one of the most storied franchises in NFL history with a very bright future ahead of him.

Randall provided the most memorable face (and eyes) for one of the most successful stretches in the history of the football program. He came in as an unregarded recruit from Tennessee and left as a Kentucky legend. I think he deserves his name in the Commonwealth Stadium Ring of Honor. However, for all of his accolades and attention within the state of Kentucky and the Southeastern Conference, UK never went to a bowl with a big national reputation during Randall’s time as a Wildcat. In addition, his legacy in Kentucky may be stunted due to the fact that he starred on the gridiron and not the hardwood. The casual fan in this state is more likely to glorify a basketball star than his football counterpart.

Brandon Knight
Coming into his freshman year, to compare Brandon Knight to John Wall was grounds for a quick admonishment. ‘They aren’t the same player and it’s unfair to try to lump them together like that’, was the response when any correlation was attempted. There seemed to be a fear that Brandon wouldn’t be as successful as John was and comparisons would only serve to hurt his confidence. After the season, the comparisons were still taboo, but only in regards to style of play. Any question of a lack of success was thrown out the window. For a freshman season at UK, Knight finished first in points, threes made and threes attempted, as well as second in assists. He was the Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA East Regional and an All-SEC, All-SEC Tournament and All-SEC Freshman Team selection, all while maintaining a GPA of 4.0.

For all of Brandon’s accolades and stats, his most memorable impact was his postseason run that propelled him to draft declaration. Knight took over in the SEC and NCAA tournament and garnered attention from the upper echelons of basketball royalty. When Magic Johnson tweets out that he would take you with the first overall pick in the NBA draft, then you’re doing pretty well for yourself. Brandon’s shots against Princeton and Ohio State and his dominant performances versus West Virgina and North Carolina became the stuff of NCAA tournament legend. He established himself as a household name not only in the Commonwealth, but also throughout the entire nation. However, his time in Lexington may be marred by the fact that it was so short lived, especially when his running mate, Terrence Jones, decided to spurn the riches of being an NBA lottery pick to return for his sophomore season. Brandon Knight will never have his name in the rafters and, if this 2011-2012 team plays like we expect they will, his Final Four may be eclipsed only one season after his departure.

Who ya got?

Who do you think leaves a better legacy? Ten years from now, whose name will be the one best remembered by Big Blue Nation? Which one of these young men made a bigger impact on their respective programs during their time on campus? Who would you rather have back next season?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=81145
Brandon Knight, credit to him or not, hit several game winners to send UK to its first Final 4 in 13 years, this is not even close for me.
Wow, I like the thread but give me Cobb.
^Cobb?? Wow... UK football has done nothing, how can you say Cobb?

Give me Brandon Knight and our 1 point loss in the final four anyday.
I can't say anyone leaves a legacy after only being in school for one year. Wall had a bigger impact than Knight, WAY MORE! Wall represented that players wanted to come be part of the Blue and White, BK only followed Walls footsteps!
Stardust Wrote:I can't say anyone leaves a legacy after only being in school for one year. Wall had a bigger impact than Knight, WAY MORE! Wall represented that players wanted to come be part of the Blue and White, BK only followed Walls footsteps!

Now players know they can come to UK and win a Final 4 because of Brandon. Wall and company represent falling short, and Brandon's group represents doing more than what you should be able to do.

Also, couldn't the same be said for guys like Mercer, Delk, and McCarty following Mashburn after the probation era?

Cousins committed before Wall didn't he?
^ I don't buy that. I don't think there is anyone around the country that does not believe that the team with Wall would beat the team with Knight. Wall represented that the best player in the country would go to UK, and that is something that had not happened in a long, long time. Wall, along with Calipari, put UK back into national prominence. I'm not selling Knight short at all, but if this thread is about Legacy, Wall had more of a legacy than BK!
Stardust Wrote:^ I don't buy that. I don't think there is anyone around the country that does not believe that the team with Wall would beat the team with Knight. Wall represented that the best player in the country would go to UK, and that is something that had not happened in a long, long time. Wall, along with Calipari, put UK back into national prominence. I'm not selling Knight short at all, but if this thread is about Legacy, Wall had more of a legacy than BK!

I agree that Wall is better than Brandon but that isn't the question.

Also, as UK fans have learned the hard way, the best players don't always win. Tubby had by far the best team in the country at LEAST twice, also that Wall team was the best, but neither teams got to a Final Four. UK all that matters is titles and Final 4's.

The question is Cobb vs. BK. BK is the clear-cut winner. I know football needed Cobb but take Cobb away and UK might win 2 games. Take BK away and that team may not get in the tournament, certainly no Final 4.
Give me Cobb. I don't care if the football team did anything. You can not leave a legacy in 1 year at UK. Cobb was loved by everyone in the state of Kentucky. Knight didn't get as much love because he only stayed 1 year.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I gotta go with Randal Cobb! There quite a few games throughout his 3 year career at UK that he basically won on his own! If Randal Cobb hadn't come to UK, I would hate to think how bad are record over the past three seasons would be!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Randall Cobb got where he was by working harder than anyone on the field. In the game against south carolina when he scored the touchdown to beat spurrier well to me that meant more than a final four ever could.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Randall Cobb got where he was by working harder than anyone on the field. In the game against south carolina when he scored the touchdown to beat spurrier well to me that meant more than a final four ever could.

The Final 4 meant a lot but man I have to agree, beating Spurrier is just an awesome feeling. I was at that game and it was the greatest game, Ive ever attended. Cobb > Knight.
I have to agree with PT and MVP, BUT anytime Kentucky Athletics does well, it means alot and get's us pumped
Cobb, all the way, Knight didn't win anything either.

Cobb was the only good player on the team for the last 2 years. Cobb was a better football player then Knight was basketball player.
Cobb