Poll: Who Wins Championships?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Coach
0%
Player(s)
40.00%
Both
60.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wins Championships, Coach, Player(s) or both?
alright me and my aunt (she's an LBJ Fan) were having a discussion about this and she basically agreed with Scottie Pippen on his comments about LBJ being better than Jordan.

I said that Jordan didn't have Wade or Bosh to win his for him, she's like he had help with Pippen, Luc Longley, Dennis Rodman, and couple others. LBJ didn't have anyone to help him out in Cleveland. I went on to say that LBJ won't be as good as Jordan, he'll be good but not as good as Jordan.

I said Jordan didn't have a big tv show just to announce where he was going like LBJ did, she's like no because Jordan went straight to College for 4 years, James went to the NBA straight out of high school.

Then she tried to say that she didn't think Jordan would be as good as he was if it wasn't for Phil Jackson.

Then the Lakers got brought up and she said that it wasn't because of Kobe Bryant and Shaq that won those Championships for LA that it was Robert Horry. He went to San Antonio and I said that he didn't do nothing there and she's like he won championships, I said 1. Then I mentioned that Kobe Bryant would tell her to sit down and she's like yea and I'd tell him to get off his butt and quit being lazy.

she basically said that if it wasn't for Phil Jackson, Jordan wouldn't be as good as he was, if it wasn't for Robert Horry, Kobe & Shaq wouldn't have won those championships.

You can't argue with her because she will go toe to toe with you and she usually wins.

She's a LBJ fan

so this got me thinking, who really wins championships, Coach, Player(s) or both?
Players. Put Phil Jackson with the Cavs or the Wizards and see how he does. If you dont got the players you cant win ballgames. I dont care good you can coach or how good you know/study the game.
^ I'm thinking the same thing
I'm sorry but what kind of question is that??

It's Both!!!!!

Sure great players can make coaches look good but it takes good coaching and good players to win Championships....
ekff Wrote:I'm sorry but what kind of question is that??

It's Both!!!!!

Sure great players can make coaches look good but it takes good coaching and good players to win Championships....

So if the Heat wins the championship, Erik Spoelstra is a good coach? I'm sorry but I disagree. I think it is 100% the players. If the Heat win it's because Bron, Wade, Bosh and all the players on the team. Spoelstra has 0 impact of them winning.JMO.
60% players
40% Coach

But it takes a coach who at least knows what he's doing for a team to win.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
An average joe that doesnt know anything about basketball could have the Heat winning because of the PLAYERS. The coach may have 5% of an impact because of the authority of how to play the players.
^OK, then who keeps everyone flat headed? Who draws up the plays? Who chooses the plays they need to run? The COACH!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
If your the Heat-Bron, Wade.If your the Lakers, Kobe. If your the Mavs,Dirk. Once again the answer is the PLAYERS!.
^Agree to disagree TB44
#BBFL
Tailback44 Wrote:If your the Heat-Bron, Wade.If your the Lakers, Kobe. If your the Mavs,Dirk. Once again the answer is the PLAYERS!.

IMO it's a combination of both(more so the players than coach) but if you had to pick one, it's definitely the players. You can be the best coach mankind has ever known but if you don't have talented players then you're not going to be doing much winning.
Aslan Wrote:Players 80%
Coach 20%

I agree with this as much as any
Tailback44 Wrote:So if the Heat wins the championship, Erik Spoelstra is a good coach? I'm sorry but I disagree. I think it is 100% the players. If the Heat win it's because Bron, Wade, Bosh and all the players on the team. Spoelstra has 0 impact of them winning.JMO.

Spoelstra is a coach for a reason buddy.... And what has he done to make people think he's a bad coach..... I think he's kind of smart, he's the one who tells Lebron to make PG every 4th quarter.....
^ I'm not saying he's the best coach, and I understand Lebron and Wade are the two best players in the game but It takes good coaching to win championships...

If it's 80% players then why didn't Kentucky win the championship last year, they had the best players in the NCAA.....
ekff Wrote:Spoelstra is a coach for a reason buddy.... And what has he done to make people think he's a bad coach..... I think he's kind of smart, he's the one who tells Lebron to make PG every 4th quarter.....

What has he done that makes him a good coach? He was 90-74 coming into this season. The most wins in one season was 47 under him. He never made it past the 1st round untill this season. Hm now for some reason, I dont think Spoelstra became a better coach over the offseason, it was because of the players that came to Miami. Its the PLAYERS!
65% players
35% coach

IMO in a 7-game series the coaching is as much an important aspect as the players.
You have to make the adjustments from game-to-game and you have to manage the in-game aspect as well.
But when all is said and done the players have to execute the coach's gameplan and there are things that happen on the court that the coach can't account for, so I give the players a 30% edge Wink
Tailback44 Wrote:What has he done that makes him a good coach? He was 90-74 coming into this season. The most wins in one season was 47 under him. He never made it past the 1st round untill this season. Hm now for some reason, I dont think Spoelstra became a better coach over the offseason, it was because of the players that came to Miami. Its the PLAYERS!

Dude, If you coach in the NBA (the best basketball league in the world) THEN your a good basketball coach..

Pat Riley isn't a dumba$$, Spoelstra is there because he is a good young coach
NBA
Players - 60%
Coaches - 40%

NCAA
Players - 40%
Coaches - 60%

College Colleges pick their players...

High School
Players - 60%
Coaches - 40%
^ But it takes both good players and good coaching to win a CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

If you don't believe me, get into coaching yourself and see what all it takes from a coach... Coaches put WAY more time into the game then the players do....
You mean to tell me Pat Riley has not thought bout firing him? Of course, he has. The only reason why he didnt is because this Heat team already has enough pressure on them and didnt want to cause conflict between the team in the middle of the season. Could this clown coach and win with the T-Wovles, Pistons, Cavs, Wizards. I think not. These players make him look good. I know a little bout basketball and I could coach the Heat to the championship.
ekff Wrote:Dude, If you coach in the NBA (the best basketball league in the world) THEN your a good basketball coach..

Pat Riley isn't a dumba$$, Spoelstra is there because he is a good young coach

I'm with you a little bit....
but look at Spoelstra's history.
He was a player/coach in Germany after his college career in Portland.
He became the Heat's video coordinator/assistant in 1995.
In 1999 he became a scout/assistant.
In 2001 he became a scout director/assistant.
In 2008 he was announced as Riley's succesor.

Riley was taking a chance on Spoelstra and IMO if he doesn't produce a ring quickly he gets the boot.
I know this may be jumping the gun....
but the zen master may be getting a call from Pat Riley over the summer if the Mavs when the title.
100% Players.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:100% Players.

:notworthy
Aslan Wrote:Players 80%
Coach 20%

Agreed.
While championships are won mostly with the players, you do need a coach for gameplanning and strategy.

70% Players
30% Coaches
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Coaches and their systems are more important to winning programs than players are. Obviously, the greatest coach in the world is not going to beat and NBA team with a team of high school players but great coaches can and do win games in which their teams are badly out manned.

It takes great coaches with great players to win titles repeatedly.

An NBA All-Star team with no coach would have little chance of winning an Olympic gold medal. An NBA All-Star team coached by Billy Gillispie would face even longer odds.