Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IS THERE ANY SCHOOL IN FLOYD COUNTY THURSDAY
Why wouldn't there be?
idk so far i ahve heard they are on a two hour delay....same reason we didnt go today i guess who knows its FLOYD COUNTY
Are you all STILL out for snow? If you are, that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
Yes, We still are out and it is very rediculous I am still in H.S and i think that we should have been in school 2 days ago... Right now they are set for a 2 hour delay cuz the weather station has flurries till late tonight
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. It cannot be THAT bad.
Its always been that way in Floyd County.. I suppose because there is so many hills that a bus would have to travel to take kids to and from school. I remember many of times Floyd County would call off school if there was even snow in the forcast
I know there are some places around where I live that you could still see snow, even if it had melted everywhere else.. These are places that the county don't even send a scraper or a salt truck to try to clean it up. And I'm sure Floyd County has places like this as well. I went to Pike Central, and I know of a couple times school would be back in session, but I would have to stay home cause I still couldnt' get out due to ice on the road and what not.
There are places in floyd county that rarely see sunshine.. Let alone a salt truck..
Same thing for where I live QQ.
Two hour delay and will know somthing by 5:30 in the morning if that changes. Some of the side roads were not in good shape according to the transportation Dept in Floyd Co. If the temp. gets down tonight I look for school to be called off.
Not everyone lives on the main road.
Most schools in Eastern Ky have this problem. If the road isn't blacktop and the sun doesn't hit it the snow and ice will remain for days. LC was out for MLK day went on Tuesday out the rest of the week and have been out everyday this week. Going back on Thursday right now. I was on some roads today that still had ice and snow late this afternoon. Most roads in LC don't have blacktop.
You can go out and piss on the road in Floyd and/or Pike County and they will call off school. Pikeville City will have school with a foot of snow on the ground.....it used to make me so mad. They would tell us "well you will get out earleir in the summer" but we always got out the same week as Pike County schools.
I didn't live on the main road in Pikeville either, in fact the road I lived on was pretty bad, but it is more manageable than people think.
The big reason unless its change and I don't think it has is due to Kentucky paying per student attending for the day. While in WVA and Ohio they get the same funding no matter how many students show up. So if most of your students live up hollows you will lose money by having school.

I know it has been awhile in LC but when was the last time your county had a bus flip or just a bad bus wreck due to slick roads. It happens every year in WVA as a matter of fact it happened today.

I don't always like it but I would rather them call it off than take the chance. LC many years ago started to stop calling it off for the minor road problems and they had a bus flip on a hill causing injuries and they haven't really pressed their luck since.
Can you blame them
and how many people if any has died in WVA bus wrecks?
I think another reason (other than money) that they call off school if it's cloudy is because the bad bus wreck in '58. I could be wrong...but I think that has a lot to do with it.
Yeah, this comes a little late but there was school, not on regular schedule though, it was a 2 hour delay.
What was the point behind the 2 hr delay?
Regular Schedule tomorrow for all listeners in the EKB broadcasting area!!!!

About time....lol
Cali I don't think many people still remember the bus wreck. I remember seeing old newspaper articles from my grandmother it was such a loss.

Football05 I hope no one in WVA has died but I wouldn't want my kids on a bus taking a chance.
There was a big thing on WYMT about it last year...it's understandable why they call it off after what happened.
Yes, it is listed as one of the Top 10 All-Time Tragedies in America by Time if I'm not mistaken, killed ALL the passengers.
Wasn't it 20+ students.....watching that show made me tear up...it was really touching what happened!

Wish everyone could see it.
Some people lost entire families...like 5 and 6 kids...it's just terrible. I can remember going into Billy Ray's restaurant in Prestonsburg when I was younger and sitting in the booths and looking at the pictures on the wall...it had all the kids and everything and they had newspaper articles of it.
yeah there was i had a ungle and my dad had two neices on that bus
Here's a good story on the 58 bus wreck.

http://www.military.state.ky.us/kyngemus...sburg1.htm