Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurel?
What's the latest on that Job?
Word out of London, interviews will start today and theres a limited number of applications for the job. No big name coach's have applied for the job, 2 of their assistant coach's and a few other local high school assistant Coach's and Brad Sizemore.

Theres a rumor that a assistant coach from the University of the Cumberlands applied and will get a interview.

The South Laurel, job seems not to be a highly sought after job as one would think.
Nate Valentine should apply for it. He has been an assistant at Transy for 6 years now and would be more than qualified for the job. He also was a star at South Laurel back in the day.
That's What She Said Wrote:Nate Valentine should apply for it. He has been an assistant at Transy for 6 years now and would be more than qualified for the job. He also was a star at South Laurel back in the day.

Yes, he was tough. I believe he graduated around 1999 or 2000 and he was good. There were him and another that when both got going they were hard to handle. They were state contenders that year but I believe got knocked off in the semi-finals at Rupp.
It's amazing to me there isn't more interest in this job.
Blue_Blinker Wrote:It's amazing to me there isn't more interest in this job.

I agree. I figured this thread would be loaded with posts by now
Blue_Blinker Wrote:It's amazing to me there isn't more interest in this job.

Read that there was less than 10 applications.
friend of mine that is close to the program says it is between vernon from cumberland college and sizemore from garrard co.
when are they going to decide?
I heard that new Jackson County boys basketball coach, Greg Parrott applied for the job and was a front runner for the job. That seems wrong to me. I heard he has been after the JC job for a while and now he has it and wants to leave to SL? Not a good situation.
Any word on when they will announce the new coach?
Any news yet?
Generals2010 Wrote:I heard that new Jackson County boys basketball coach, Greg Parrott applied for the job and was a front runner for the job. That seems wrong to me. I heard he has been after the JC job for a while and now he has it and wants to leave to SL? Not a good situation.

Not a very good Coach for that job, in my opinion! They can definitely do better!:popcorn:
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Not a very good Coach for that job, in my opinion! They can definitely do better!:popcorn:

I heard that the coach from Cumberland U. backed out on the Cardinals, so what now?
I've heard that it's between Greg Parrett and Brad Sizemore. Also heard that North Laurel wants Sizemore and South wants Parrett, now whether those are true or not I don't know, just from what I've heard
Strikeout King Wrote:I've heard that it's between Greg Parrett and Brad Sizemore. Also heard that North Laurel wants Sizemore and South wants Parrett, now whether those are true or not I don't know, just from what I've heard

Is the North Laurel job open????
Gold Charger Wrote:Is the North Laurel job open????

Yes
from What I'm hearing Sizemore has turned down the South Laurel job to take the North Laurel Position
Sizemore to South, at least that is what some South Laurel parents have been telling me.
That could be. I was told one thing and was told something different right after so who knows at this point
Please spell his name correctly, it is Parrett. Now if we were talking about Polly wants a cracker Parrott then your way would be correct. He is the right man for the job.
Parrett is the man for the job.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Not a very good Coach for that job, in my opinion! They can definitely do better!:popcorn:

Yeah Coach Parrett he did a terrible job coaching Jackson County girls for 6 years. His record was 172-33. His teams played in four Sweet Sixteens making the quarterfinals three times and making the championship once. He also won two All "A" state championships. I am sure that there are many basketball "Purists" or "Gurus" that feel like he cannot coach boys because many feel like girls basketball is inferior, including the coaching. He does need to work on his PR skills because he is not a bullsh@#*er like many successful coaches are. On the other hand, with the tradition they have and their location and facilities, they should be able to attract a boys coach that has state championship credentials.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Yeah Coach Parrett he did a terrible job coaching Jackson County girls for 6 years. His record was 172-33. His teams played in four Sweet Sixteens making the quarterfinals three times and making the championship once. He also won two All "A" state championships. I am sure that there are many basketball "Purists" or "Gurus" that feel like he cannot coach boys because many feel like girls basketball is inferior, including the coaching. He does need to work on his PR skills because he is not a bullsh@#*er like many successful coaches are. On the other hand, with the tradition they have and their location and facilities, they should be able to attract a boys coach that has state championship credentials.

Less than 10 applied....which is shocking.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Yeah Coach Parrett he did a terrible job coaching Jackson County girls for 6 years. His record was 172-33. His teams played in four Sweet Sixteens making the quarterfinals three times and making the championship once. He also won two All "A" state championships. I am sure that there are many basketball "Purists" or "Gurus" that feel like he cannot coach boys because many feel like girls basketball is inferior, including the coaching. He does need to work on his PR skills because he is not a bullsh@#*er like many successful coaches are. On the other hand, with the tradition they have and their location and facilities, they should be able to attract a boys coach that has state championship credentials.

This is not intended to offend you or Jackson, but how many of those wins were by Sarah Elliot herself?
I honestly think if you take her out he was more of a 500 coach while there.
If they could have got Vernon they would have been in great shape. I personally know him and think he would have been a great fit for the job. Young and energetic, i wish Whitley could have stole him, but resorted to a nobody who will do nothing because they know he will stick around and not quit so they wont have to look for a new coach next year and the year after.
I hope North and South dont do the same.
Bolt Wrote:This is not intended to offend you or Jackson, but how many of those wins were by Sarah Elliot herself?
I honestly think if you take her out he was more of a 500 coach while there.

I watched Jackson County play several times and they were a very well rounded team with multiple players who could score and they played fanatical defense. The primary thing you have to go by is his record. Which is the only factual thing you can bring to a debate or discussion. Opinions about his coaching abilities and the "what ifs" if he didn't have certain players is just speculation, nothing factual. You take away special players and transfers from a lot of coaches and there records would diminish tremendously.
Bolt Wrote:If they could have got Vernon they would have been in great shape. I personally know him and think he would have been a great fit for the job. Young and energetic, i wish Whitley could have stole him, but resorted to a nobody who will do nothing because they know he will stick around and not quit so they wont have to look for a new coach next year and the year after.
I hope North and South dont do the same.

I would assume these schools would go after the best coach they can get and is available. I believe Whitley has got Footballitis and Basketball is secondary to them right now.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I would assume these schools would go after the best coach they can get and is available. I believe Whitley has got Footballitis and Basketball is secondary to them right now.

I agree, however Vernon took his name out which is surprising. Im not sure why but there must have been something there he didnt like.
And yes football will always come first at Whitley, and personally im glad it does, but Whitley is also probably the 3rd or 4th biggest school in the mountains behind north and south and no matter the coach, Whitley should have a team that competes every year. Its beyond me how teams like Corbin can compete and win the 13th region every year with half the kids of these three schools. Must be something in the water at corbin, or parents checkbooks lol.
Bolt Wrote:I agree, however Vernon took his name out which is surprising. Im not sure why but there must have been something there he didnt like.
And yes football will always come first at Whitley, and personally im glad it does, but Whitley is also probably the 3rd or 4th biggest school in the mountains behind north and south and no matter the coach, Whitley should have a team that competes every year. Its beyond me how teams like Corbin can compete and win the 13th region every year with half the kids of these three schools. Must be something in the water at corbin, or parents checkbooks lol.

Unless you are loaded with superstar athletes every year(most mountain teams are not), then coaching plays a major role in how teams perform. If you do not have a quality coach, most likely you are not going to have a quality team no matter what size the school is. I think it is even more important now because many boys(not all) are big spoiled babies and cannot handle criticism, constructive or harsh. They have always been told by their parents that their coach or teacher doesn't know what they are talking about and that they are being picked on. Many of the new generation is taught that they are to receive respect first and then give respect later instead of vice versa. Respecting elders is all but extinct. 20 and 30 years ago, every boy in the school, fat or skinny, athletic or geeky, new the rules to football, basketball, or baseball. Whether they played organized or barnyard. Many of the ones who play today still do not know all the rules and have played forever. So what they learn is in the gym and so that takes a good teacher or coach.