Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Lawrence Co. using illegal player
I was not at the game yesterday, but 4 of the NCC players play on our summer team and I heard from the parents in glee when they returned home last night. It's sounds like some disgruntled individuals were saying that a player for the LC team really lives in Paintsville (next to the school is what was said), and makes the drive to LC every day. I guess the reason they are upset is that not only does the player play out of District (taking a LC player's spot), but is possibly going to try to go back to Paintsville next year.

Don't shoot the messenger here. I have no names, thus rumors are rumors. Anyone hear of this? We hear things like this all the time, and I see rumors on this board often. Since I don't know the area, but the primary posters on this site are from that area, was just looking to see what anyone else has heard.
Stardust Wrote:I was not at the game yesterday, but 4 of the NCC players play on our summer team and I heard from the parents in glee when they returned home last night. It's sounds like some disgruntled individuals were saying that a player for the LC team really lives in Paintsville (next to the school is what was said), and makes the drive to LC every day. I guess the reason they are upset is that not only does the player play out of District (taking a LC player's spot), but is possibly going to try to go back to Paintsville next year.

Don't shoot the messenger here. I have no names, thus rumors are rumors. Anyone hear of this? We hear things like this all the time, and I see rumors on this board often. Since I don't know the area, but the primary posters on this site are from that area, was just looking to see what anyone else has heard.

I am not aware or do not know the situation but he can enroll at any school he wants when he goes from grade school to high school. If he did this, there is no problem. If he transferred while he is in high school, he needed to show a legitimate move or a hardship(which are approved rarely). If he does go back to Paintsville, he has to move before he gets eligible. You are not automatically eligible in the district you live in.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I am not aware or do not know the situation but he can enroll at any school he wants when he goes from grade school to high school. If he did this, there is no problem. If he transferred while he is in high school, he needed to show a legitimate move or a hardship(which are approved rarely). If he does go back to Paintsville, he has to move before he gets eligible. You are not automatically eligible in the district you live in.

I am not aware of all the facts, but apparently the player played at Paintsville for 2 years, then transferred to LC this year. (Actually drove himself to the new school, which does not sound like a Freshman).
I thought that stuff went on at every school. Nobody has to actually move, just provide an address. If you are the #2 pitcher on team A but team B needs a good pitcher you just enroll at team B school and become team B's # 1. A lot of these rules are taken as advice. Of course who ultimately gets punished if caught. The players left on the team. When the KHSAA put Rose Hill on probation the coaches, parents/players and "boosters" involved had all left. The only people punished were the kids going to school there to get an education and liked to play basketball. And I would imagine it is a nightmare to keep up with in those counties that have 4 or 5 high schools. I am not sure what the answer is but I think some of these rules need to be reevaluated.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:I thought that stuff went on at every school. Nobody has to actually move, just provide an address. If you are the #2 pitcher on team A but team B needs a good pitcher you just enroll at team B school and become team B's # 1. A lot of these rules are taken as advice. Of course who ultimately gets punished if caught. The players left on the team. When the KHSAA put Rose Hill on probation the coaches, parents/players and "boosters" involved had all left. The only people punished were the kids going to school there to get an education and liked to play basketball. And I would imagine it is a nightmare to keep up with in those counties that have 4 or 5 high schools. I am not sure what the answer is but I think some of these rules need to be reevaluated.
Actually, IF the above information is correct, a player coming from Johnson County to Lawrence County would need to actually move to play or be a student there. Speaking only on what I know for sure, I do know that Pikeville checks the addresses of students 1) Randomly or 2) When there might be a concern about the eligibility of a student/athlete. I can positively confirm that after my family moved back here to Pikeville, the director of pupil personnel PERSONALLY showed up at our doorstep to verify that we were actually living where we said we were. I'm also personally aware of one other instance in the past year where the same individual went to an address of two other athletes after hearing a rumor they had moved close to the end of the school year. Nothing came of that because they were still living where they were listed as living. So, either this story is just hogwash with no basis in fact, OR the address had not been verified. There are numerous factors that come into play when the KHSAA eligibility is concerned. But the main thing to remember is an athlete MUST physically move in cases where the circumstances are like what is discussed above.
PHSForever Wrote:Actually, IF the above information is correct, a player coming from Johnson County to Lawrence County would need to actually move to play or be a student there. Speaking only on what I know for sure, I do know that Pikeville checks the addresses of students 1) Randomly or 2) When there might be a concern about the eligibility of a student/athlete. I can positively confirm that after my family moved back here to Pikeville, the director of pupil personnel PERSONALLY showed up at our doorstep to verify that we were actually living where we said we were. I'm also personally aware of one other instance in the past year where the same individual went to an address of two other athletes after hearing a rumor they had moved close to the end of the school year. Nothing came of that because they were still living where they were listed as living. So, either this story is just hogwash with no basis in fact, OR the address had not been verified. There are numerous factors that come into play when the KHSAA eligibility is concerned. But the main thing to remember is an athlete MUST physically move in cases where the circumstances are like what is discussed above.
I was being a bit facetious. We are all aware that you are actually supposed to move except in very rare cases. But we are also aware of those players, who would/could not transfer without the advice and consent of parents, AD's, coaches etc. If the onus is on the school to investigate athletic transfers it is very easy to see an AD or DPP looking the other way to get that perceived game changing player.
I would bet a transfer back would raise tons of stink with the KHSAA. As for the players left behind at the cheating school, they would have no one to blame but there own administration. Paintsville and Lawrence County are in the same district Stardust.
Commanche Wrote:I would bet a transfer back would raise tons of stink with the KHSAA. As for the players left behind at the cheating school, they would have no one to blame but there own administration. Paintsville and Lawrence County are in the same district Stardust.

Nobody is cheating. Why make that claim? In order for this player to play, wouldn't he have to be cleared by the KHSAA first? So if he is playing, and he was cleared, how is this "cheating"?
dawgeers Wrote:Nobody is cheating. Why make that claim? In order for this player to play, wouldn't he have to be cleared by the KHSAA first? So if he is playing, and he was cleared, how is this "cheating"?
I think he meant "cheating" in regards to Dawgbyte's post (#4), hypothetically.
Dawgeers, PHSForever is correct. Just making an observation to his post.

It does not matter at this point anyway.
dawgeers Wrote:Nobody is cheating. Why make that claim? In order for this player to play, wouldn't he have to be cleared by the KHSAA first? So if he is playing, and he was cleared, how is this "cheating"?
The Khsaa has no way of knowing if you actually loaded up the U-Haul and moved. On very rare occasions the Khsaa has ruled that a player is eligible to play at another school without moving. It is very easy to produce a rent receipt and electric bill and claim you live there with your uncle. If things don't work out you move back to where you came from and retain all your eligibility. This happens all the time in divorce cases. Parents split, kid moves to new school with dad, does not like and moves back with mom. Should the Khsaa rule this kid ineligble? Not when everybody is trying to do what is best for the kid. The problem I have is when we bend the rules for the coach or administration to go in search of glory at the expense of the kids. Tradition is built not recruited. Now what Stardust is referring to could be a simple matter of a 18 year old kid going back home to mama and all his childhood friends to graduate from the school system he attended for 10 or eleven years. Or it could be that Paintsville baseball is projected to be a contender next year and Lawrence County is projected to be extremely weak. Or it could all be rumor. What would you do if you were on the Khsaa board of control?
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Tradition is built not recruited. Now what Stardust is referring to could be a simple matter of a 18 year old kid going back home to mama and all his childhood friends to graduate from the school system he attended for 10 or eleven years. Or it could be that Paintsville baseball is projected to be a contender next year and Lawrence County is projected to be extremely weak. Or it could all be rumor. What would you do if you were on the Khsaa board of control?

If your first statement is correct, then why do so many Catholic/Private schools win championships? Their players are not "homegrown".

Why can't people just leave the rumors out of it? Has the kid said anything about going back to Paintsville? Also seems like everyone is ready to kick dirt on LC and bury them completely next year.
dawgeers Wrote:If your first statement is correct, then why do so many Catholic/Private schools win championships? Their players are not "homegrown".

Why can't people just leave the rumors out of it? Has the kid said anything about going back to Paintsville? Also seems like everyone is ready to kick dirt on LC and bury them completely next year.
I think the reason any school system,private or public, is successful, is because they set the bar very high for everyone. This includes not only the athletes, but the administrators,teachers, parents or anyone that interacts with them. The only trophy truly worth winning is knowing that you had a hand in developing the best individual you could not just a ball player. As for rumors usually there is a little truth in all rumors. Who knows if the kid said anything but the rumor got started somehow. I don't think anyone is kicking dirt on LC. You just have to take one look at their published roster to know they are going to be very weak in some positions not counting pitchers. Pitching will be very weak unless the RUMOR is true that a transfer is in the works. On the other hand they have good coaches, that I have no doubt, will have them as competitive as they can be with what they have to work with.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:I think the reason any school system,private or public, is successful, is because they set the bar very high for everyone. This includes not only the athletes, but the administrators,teachers, parents or anyone that interacts with them. The only trophy truly worth winning is knowing that you had a hand in developing the best individual you could not just a ball player. As for rumors usually there is a little truth in all rumors. Who knows if the kid said anything but the rumor got started somehow. I don't think anyone is kicking dirt on LC. You just have to take one look at their published roster to know they are going to be very weak in some positions not counting pitchers. Pitching will be very weak unless the RUMOR is true that a transfer is in the works. On the other hand they have good coaches, that I have no doubt, will have them as competitive as they can be with what they have to work with.

This happens a lot in all the surrounding schools..kids claiming they are living somewhere else or with a grandparent.. just have to produce something with their name on the address. As for the kid from Paintsville..he didn't add much to the LC team anyway
ballfan87 Wrote:This happens a lot in all the surrounding schools..kids claiming they are living somewhere else or with a grandparent.. just have to produce something with their name on the address. As for the kid from Paintsville..he didn't add much to the LC team anyway
Didn't add much to the team? If I'm not mistaken he did hit leadoff for the most part, (from what I've heard). And he played solid defense, and was a vocal leader on this team. I heard the latter part first hand.
His family owns property in both Paintsville and Lawrence county. Perfectly legal. Albeit probably not right by most peoples standards. Also he more than likely will be a tiger next year.
Out of county? Hell, there are some schools in the 16th that have athletes that live out of state!
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:His family owns property in both Paintsville and Lawrence county. Perfectly legal. Albeit probably not right by most peoples standards. Also he more than likely will be a tiger next year.
I'm not gonna get into this specific situation, because one, I really don't care and two, what does it matter?

BUT, from personal experience, having dual residences does NOT grant an automatic approval from the KHSAA. In fact, it WAS the reason I was ineligible after transferring.

Also, I find it hilarious I was ineligible after the move and being honest about everything but some people that lie about everything are cleared. The KHSAA is a joke and it is to the benefit of the player just to lie about everything anyway when trying to transfer.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I'm not gonna get into this specific situation, because one, I really don't care and two, what does it matter?

BUT, from personal experience, having dual residences does NOT grant an automatic approval from the KHSAA. In fact, it WAS the reason I was ineligible after transferring.

Also, I find it hilarious I was ineligible after the move and being honest about everything but some people that lie about everything are cleared. The KHSAA is a joke and it is to the benefit of the player just to lie about everything anyway when trying to transfer.

You should sue the KHSAA for robbing a year of eligibility from you. What did
playing tennis at Paintsville to do with baseball at Pikeville. KHSAA is a joke and should be done away with. Lying is probably the best policy when dealing with the KHSAA MAFIA.

I dont agree with a player moving every year. I think all athletes should be allowed to move one time and then sit out a year for each successive transfer. No HS kid who only has 4 years eligibility should be stuck with a moron coach or in an awful program. I think if the coaches can move why not the players.
In Wv you only have 4 years eligibility in varsity sports. In Ky you have7th & 8th graders playing varsity sports such as girls basketball and softball. So a 7th grader would have 6 years of eligibility. And I believe Sheperd was pitching varsity in the 8th grade.
If a person had the means should a student athlete be allowed, lets say, to play football for Phillip Heywood at Belfry in the fall semester and transfer to Pikeville to play baseball for Steve Priode in the spring semester without moving?
dawgbyte02 Wrote:If a person had the means should a student athlete be allowed, lets say, to play football for Phillip Heywood at Belfry in the fall semester and transfer to Pikeville to play baseball for Steve Priode in the spring semester without moving?

I hope you are not comparing Heywood and Priode. My point is everyone should have a one time transfer with no penalty.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:If a person had the means should a student athlete be allowed, lets say, to play football for Phillip Heywood at Belfry in the fall semester and transfer to Pikeville to play baseball for Steve Priode in the spring semester without moving?

Funny you would mention this scenario. I think it was early 90's, but a young man from Lawrence County played Football at LC and Baseball at Paintsville for his entire high school career.
ballfan87 Wrote:This happens a lot in all the surrounding schools..kids claiming they are living somewhere else or with a grandparent.. just have to produce something with their name on the address. As for the kid from Paintsville..he didn't add much to the LC team anyway

I beg to differ, give the kid credit(eligible or ineligible) he batted in the leadoff or 2 spot all year and played a good third base. AND........ LC did not have any depth. So I think he was an integral part of your championship.
One time transfer with no going back and forth from year to year, absolutely. But, I am NOT a fan of the back and forth. It absolutely ruins any chance of school pride, etc. All it is is basically trying to be on a winning team. If a player feels that they need to be better coached in one sport, but are receiving adequate coaching in the other, stay where you are and go to camps, etc. to get better in the sport you wish to get better coaching in. I know of MANY players who played for lousy high school teams in a particular sport but went on to have successful college careers in that particular sport because they put in the time needed on THEIR own time to get better. Half year at Belfry, half year at PHS (or any other schools) crap is ridiculous and unfair.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:In Wv you only have 4 years eligibility in varsity sports. In Ky you have7th & 8th graders playing varsity sports such as girls basketball and softball. So a 7th grader would have 6 years of eligibility. And I believe Sheperd was pitching varsity in the 8th grade.
In Kentucky, it is the same thing. Once you enter 9th grade, you have FOUR CALENDAR YEARS to complete your eligibility. Playing up from 7th or 8th grade onto the high school team doesn't kick your eligibility into effect early. So if a 7th grader is good enough to play and contribute to the hs team, they can play. But once they enter 9th grade, the clock is ticking and have 4 years, period. They can't get held back in 9th grade, for example (some rare exceptions) and get a 5th year in high school sports.
PHSForever Wrote:In Kentucky, it is the same thing. Once you enter 9th grade, you have FOUR CALENDAR YEARS to complete your eligibility. Playing up from 7th or 8th grade onto the high school team doesn't kick your eligibility into effect early. So if a 7th grader is good enough to play and contribute to the hs team, they can play. But once they enter 9th grade, the clock is ticking and have 4 years, period. They can't get held back in 9th grade, for example (some rare exceptions) and get a 5th year in high school sports.
In Wv you have 4 total years regardless of when you start. One game in any sport at the varsity level constitutes a year of eligibility regardless of age. So a 7th grader would be completely done after their soph. year. You never see 7th and 8th graders on Wv varsity teams because of this rule.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:In Wv you have 4 total years regardless of when you start. One game in any sport at the varsity level constitutes a year of eligibility regardless of age. So a 7th grader would be completely done after their soph. year. You never see 7th and 8th graders on Wv varsity teams because of this rule.

STUPID rule, the only person this hurts is the child who is good enough to play as a 7th or 8th grader. These agencies present them self as for the kids, but this is totally contradictory to that statement.
This thread needs to be closed. There is nothing illegal going on with this young man and him playing at LC. Great young man who contributed a lot to the team this year. Can't wait to see him play next year.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:In Wv you have 4 total years regardless of when you start. One game in any sport at the varsity level constitutes a year of eligibility regardless of age. So a 7th grader would be completely done after their soph. year. You never see 7th and 8th graders on Wv varsity teams because of this rule.
Also why OJ Mayo was at Rose Hill in Junior High.