Poll: Who wil win the 57th District next year?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Johnson Central
34.78%
Lawrence Co.
4.35%
Magoffin Co.
30.43%
Paintsville
30.43%
Sheldon Clark
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 57th District Favorites
OffTheHook Wrote:In the recent months I have spoke to many former and present D1, JUCO & NAIA players. The topic was the new bats. They ALL agree that it is a whole new world with them. Now, if it made such a drastic change at those levels. What do you think it is going to do at the High School Level?

You won't need a dominating pitcher that blows the ball by everyone next season. All though it is always nice to have one....lol. But, if you have a 3 to 4 man rotation that can consistantly throw strikes and be pretty decent at hitting his spots. Then, IMO, you will have a successful team. This is also going to bring in another big factor....DEFENSE! Going to have to be strong up the middle and everyone is going to have to know where they are going on EVERY play. IMO...most teams will be LUCKY to see a long ball next season. Mark my words,...Those shots that little junior was cranking of the wall last season, won't be anything but a routine fly ball this season.
As far as "honeymoon phase" at Paintsville....this group of boys have played together since the ball was placed on a tee for them. They have ALL also played for and against Coach for MANY years. They ALL know him and know what he expects and he the same of them. The honeeymoon is over. It's all buisness now

That's great I hope it is like that? I do feel like, however, that JC has the better program, and I think everyone would agree on that? There's just not been the consistency at Painstville in the last 5 years. There were quite a few years in a row where Paintsville had the much better talen, but Shawn out-coached them everytime.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That's great I hope it is like that? I do feel like, however, that JC has the better program, and I think everyone would agree on that? There's just not been the consistency at Painstville in the last 5 years. There were quite a few years in a row where Paintsville had the much better talen, but Shawn out-coached them everytime.

You have to remember that they have a new coach over there that beat us twice last year.
Joker Wrote:You have to remember that they have a new coach over there that beat us twice last year.

I think that is a little decieving to say since were talking about the upcoming year? I say that because the kid that beat them is no longer on the team, so that basically is irrelevant. I love Painstville High School, and I love the town. I am a Tiger at heart and I am also a Golden Eagle by heart too. I won't explain to you why that is, but the reason I say that is to show you that I am not a biased poster. I see things as I see them, and sometimes i'm wrong and sometimes i'm right, but it is just my opinion, and my opinion is that Shawn Hall and his brother Mike are the best coaches in the region. I think Pikeville College made a mistake not hiring Shawn a few years back, and I think if you give every team in the district the exact same players, the Hall brothers will win every game? It's easy to not like JC because the ruin a lot of peoples seasons, but the fact still remains that there is not a better coach in the 15th. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying he is the best coach in Eastern Kentucky because I think there a couple that could be in that discussion with Shawn and Mike, like Michael Hagy and Bryan Dean. After those guys I think it's wide open?

I have noticed that SC hasn't got any votes in this and MC has 5? That is amazing to me? On any given day, Mike Hall can beat anyone in the district or the region. I
I'm not sure that I agree with the last post at all... I think that the 57th is loaded with great coach's. Some are established, some are just now proving them selves. First, lets compare SC and MC since they are in the same situation. Hall is established, Dials is a work in progress. Since 2010 when he was hired he has went 2-3 against Hall. Beating Hall 2 out of 5 is pretty dang good for a young coach just learning the ropes, especially since they are basically at the same in terms of funding and support. Now MC and JC, Dials is 1-4 in 2 years against him. I would dare say that not to many young coachs can say in 2 years that they have beat both Hall brothers. Dials is 0-3 against both LC and Paintsville.

Now lets look at Miller at Paintsville. Although he has been around the diamond for years he is very new to the high school level. In one year he was 6-2 in District. Miller went 2-0 against JC. Miller went 2-0 against MC. Miller went 2-0 against SC, and Miller went 0-2 against LC getting beat by I think 1 run both of those games. Very dang impressive for a first year skipper especially in the 57th.

Now coach Feltner, although he has been around the 57th for a while now he has only been the head man since 2009. Since then Feltner has went 5-0 against Sc. Feltner has went 4-2 against JC. Feltner has went 4-0 against MC, and Feltner has went 5-2 against Paintsville. Feltner has compiled a District record or 18-4 over these seasons which again is remarkable.

Also, coaching in the 57th right now are 4 that played for 2 of the all time greats in high school coaching Mike Collins (Hall Brothers, and Dials) and Charlie Adkins (Miller), Im not sure about Feltner. All in all, all I am trying to say is that I do not think that one can say that only a select few are far and above others in the 57th any more. Much has changed over the past 5 or 6 years in regards to coaching in the 57th and for that matter in the 15th. I could go on more and more in regards to up and coming coachs around the 15th.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I'm not sure that I agree with the last post at all... I think that the 57th is loaded with great coach's. Some are established, some are just now proving them selves. First, lets compare SC and MC since they are in the same situation. Hall is established, Dials is a work in progress. Since 2010 when he was hired he has went 2-3 against Hall. Beating Hall 2 out of 5 is pretty dang good for a young coach just learning the ropes, especially since they are basically at the same in terms of funding and support. Now MC and JC, Dials is 1-4 in 2 years against him. I would dare say that not to many young coachs can say in 2 years that they have beat both Hall brothers. Dials is 0-3 against both LC and Paintsville.

Now lets look at Miller at Paintsville. Although he has been around the diamond for years he is very new to the high school level. In one year he was 6-2 in District. Miller went 2-0 against JC. Miller went 2-0 against MC. Miller went 2-0 against SC, and Miller went 0-2 against LC getting beat by I think 1 run both of those games. Very dang impressive for a first year skipper especially in the 57th.

Now coach Feltner, although he has been around the 57th for a while now he has only been the head man since 2009. Since then Feltner has went 5-0 against Sc. Feltner has went 4-2 against JC. Feltner has went 4-0 against MC, and Feltner has went 5-2 against Paintsville. Feltner has compiled a District record or 18-4 over these seasons which again is remarkable.

Also, coaching in the 57th right now are 4 that played for 2 of the all time greats in high school coaching Mike Collins (Hall Brothers, and Dials) and Charlie Adkins (Miller), Im not sure about Feltner. All in all, all I am trying to say is that I do not think that one can say that only a select few are far and above others in the 57th any more. Much has changed over the past 5 or 6 years in regards to coaching in the 57th and for that matter in the 15th. I could go on more and more in regards to up and coming coachs around the 15th.

I completely agree with you. There are good coaches, but the point I was making was LC has lost Shep, and Painstville has lost Jackson. Now, they can't send a kid to the mound and let him take over? Now more stragedy has to come into play with these coaches now because it is more even across the board. Just to prove that point, how many of Miller's district wins were won by Jackson? All of them maybe? Regardless, this can be his year to really show everybody what their made of and Dials can do the same. All I am getting at is that I think this year will come down to who will execute defensively and who will execute "small ball?" Small ball will most likely win the region this year, and I think Shawn Hall does it better than anyone in the region, and that is my pick to win it this year. The reason I say this is based off of really just two things; 1.) All of the aces are gone, there is no way for any of the head coaches in the district to rely on but themselves and how much work they put in in the off season, and 2.)the bats-The new bats are going to make high school baseball a defensive game again, and a lot of the gappers will now be routine fly balls. Alot of the grounders that get thru the holes won't anymore because of less pop on the bat. Those balls now become routine ground balls.

I would even make the prediction that whomever has the highest fielding percentage this season will win the region. I know its a stretch but I can see it happening any other way?
If what you are saying is true then everyone needs to just play 3rd and 1st in and stick short and second in the shallow infield and completely take the small game out of it. Ill say this as well if this is true, if defense is what will win district and region the 57th will be upside down this year.
^ It won't be the only District like that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Bob Seger Wrote:I dont know how the health of JC's pitchers will be this coming year, so I dont know that one can predict that just yet. IF last years pitcher's arms are healthy they will have what I think is the best staff in the region. Going into the district Meek, Kestner, Ward, and Sanor were all hurt and could not throw. Kestner tried but just wasn't really able to go. I am not sure of the status of Sanor, but if he is back at least to 90%, you will see the region's best pitcher along with Hamilton. Granted Kestner is now gone, but all of the others are pretty good pitchers when healthy. Pitching has always been JC's strong point, it's never been their hitting or defense. They do have some good young ones coming up. Perhaps they can mature somewhat between now and next May and can fill the void if the returners are still on the DL. I think there might be a Big surprise or two, or three that you may not be aware of. Anyways I think they will be a little better than what you may be giving them credit for, especially considering they should be a pretty good hitting team this year to go along with it..
No surprise for me Bob. I think we both could be more specific but it is way to early. I don't personally like the 3 game set.It just takes to much of the schedule.However they did not ask me to vote. By the way I know this is a 57th thread but I will go out on a limb and say the kids from Pond Creek will get the 15th.I wish I could "Say It Ain't So Joe" but it is. Coach " H" I am sorry to even mention that this time of the year.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:No surprise for me Bob. I think we both could be more specific but it is way to early. I don't personally like the 3 game set.It just takes to much of the schedule.However they did not ask me to vote. By the way I know this is a 57th thread but I will go out on a limb and say the kids from Pond Creek will get the 15th.I wish I could "Say It Ain't So Joe" but it is. Coach " H" I am sorry to even mention that this time of the year.

Who knows Charlie. That may very well be the way it turns out. They were pretty solid last year, but JC did beat them with a freshman (Ward) on the mound. Anyways you are right. They are more than a legit (and quite possibly the favorite) threat to take it all. If the staus of all the above mentioned would be 100%, I would disagree, but there are way too many health uncertainties for the JC staff right now to name them in the driver's seat.. Heck, with Hamilton and Maynard back for Pikeville, I wouldn't rule them or a couple of others out for a second either. Could be a wild year.
Bob Seger Wrote:Who knows Charlie. That may very well be the way it turns out. They were pretty solid last year, but JC did beat them with a freshman (Ward) on the mound. Anyways you are right. They are more than a legit (and quite possibly the favorite) threat to take it all. If the staus of all the above mentioned would be 100%, I would disagree, but there are way too many health uncertainties for the JC staff right now to name them in the driver's seat.. Heck, with Hamilton and Maynard back for Pikeville, I wouldn't rule them or a couple of others out for a second either. Could be a wild year.
It would be most comforting to have Sanor back full throtle,however if he is back to throw on occassion that would be a great help especially if Meek gets a few wrinkles ironed out. What I was thinking was in terms of Ward and a Freshman:biggrin: or two that might just be able to make a quick adjustment to the HS mound or at least get some valuable experience for future dates. I would guess proper utilization would be the key to short and long term play.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:It would be most comforting to have Sanor back full throtle,however if he is back to throw on occassion that would be a great help especially if Meek gets a few wrinkles ironed out. What I was thinking was in terms of Ward and a Freshman:biggrin: or two that might just be able to make a quick adjustment to the HS mound or at least get some valuable experience for future dates. I would guess proper utilization would be the key to short and long term play.

I agree. I think that will be for the most part the grand scheme of things. I think we will have a couple that could help out in the post season if they get a few innings under their belts during the regular season. One thing for sure, with the new district setup, there are definately going to be some that will be baptized by fire way before they are ready for prime time and get their chances. I think it will be that way for every team in the 57th this year, with this new setup.
I couldn't agree more guys. I also dislike the new 3 game series setup. As far as pitching goes. We may not have the over powering pitcher this season. But, I think that VanHoose SHOULD be able to step up and take a lot of the load and we do have a lot of kids returning that have had quite a bit of mound time at the varsity level over the last few seasons. This should be a pretty competitive year in the 57th and 15th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:I couldn't agree more guys. I also dislike the new 3 game series setup. As far as pitching goes. We may not have the over powering pitcher this season. But, I think that VanHoose SHOULD be able to step up and take a lot of the load and we do have a lot of kids returning that have had quite a bit of mound time at the varsity level over the last few seasons. This should be a pretty competitive year in the 57th and 15th.

Vanhoose is alot better than people give him credit for.
OffTheHook Wrote:I couldn't agree more guys. I also dislike the new 3 game series setup. As far as pitching goes. We may not have the over powering pitcher this season. But, I think that VanHoose SHOULD be able to step up and take a lot of the load and we do have a lot of kids returning that have had quite a bit of mound time at the varsity level over the last few seasons. This should be a pretty competitive year in the 57th and 15th.

I agree with you about the 3 game series? I don't like it at all, but you have to go with the situation I guess, and I think the regular season could play a big role when it comes to winning the 57th this year?
I like the 3 game series. You are pretty much guaranteed to get the best team to the worst team in seeding. I'm not a fan of one kid determining a teams success (Chandler, Jackson, etc.). Now it looks like we will know who has the best team not the single best pitcher.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I like the 3 game series. You are pretty much guaranteed to get the best team to the worst team in seeding. I'm not a fan of one kid determining a teams success (Chandler, Jackson, etc.). Now it looks like we will know who has the best team not the single best pitcher.

While the concept may say that, It still doesn't mean that a cellar dweller team that only possess a Shepherd, Jackson, etc. can't still pull the same upset come tournament time. It still boils down to #1 facing #5 (that might have the stud) in the opener. In reality it changes nothing.
Bob Seger Wrote:While the concept may say that, It still doesn't mean that a cellar dweller team that only possess a Shepherd, Jackson, etc. can't still pull the same upset come tournament time. It still boils down to #1 facing #5 (that might have the stud). In reality it changes nothing.

How are the 3 games set up? From how I am seeing it, it is either going to be 3 consecutive days, or it's going to be 2 consecutive days with one day being a double header, is that right?

One of my biggest concerns with this format is what are you preparing for during the regular season? I would want to try and play as many good teams as possible to get my teams ready for the post season? Now that they have thrown this in the mix, not only does it cut down on the better competition you can play, but it also kills the rest of your games for the remainder of that week? If you have a 3 game series on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with Sheldon Clark and then on Friday you have Lexington Catholic coming in for game, and the following Monday you have another 3 game series with another district team, guess what that means? YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PITCHING DURING THE REGULAR SEASON FOR ANY TEAMS BUT DISTRICT OPPONENTS!! That is just a fact. If you want to throw your best against Catholic on that Friday then that means you are going to have to bring back your #1 on 3 days rest, but then have to turn around and pitch him on Monday's game? See what I am saying? All they did by doing this was kill any hope these teams had of giving good competition a good game? You think Lexington Catholic is going to come back to eastern kentucky for a mercy rule game? ABSOLUTELY NOT! This should have been thought thru before they did this? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:How are the 3 games set up? From how I am seeing it, it is either going to be 3 consecutive days, or it's going to be 2 consecutive days with one day being a double header, is that right?

One of my biggest concerns with this format is what are you preparing for during the regular season? I would want to try and play as many good teams as possible to get my teams ready for the post season? Now that they have thrown this in the mix, not only does it cut down on the better competition you can play, but it also kills the rest of your games for the remainder of that week? If you have a 3 game series on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with Sheldon Clark and then on Friday you have Lexington Catholic coming in for game, and the following Monday you have another 3 game series with another district team, guess what that means? YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PITCHING DURING THE REGULAR SEASON FOR ANY TEAMS BUT DISTRICT OPPONENTS!! That is just a fact. If you want to throw your best against Catholic on that Friday then that means you are going to have to bring back your #1 on 3 days rest, but then have to turn around and pitch him on Monday's game? See what I am saying? All they did by doing this was kill any hope these teams had of giving good competition a good game? You think Lexington Catholic is going to come back to eastern kentucky for a mercy rule game? ABSOLUTELY NOT! This should have been thought thru before they did this? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I agree with all of what you said Rabbit. I dont like it either, for all the reasons you just stated. As I pointed out, it changes absolutely nothing in a "one and you're done" first round of the district tournament.
What it changes in my opinion and in talking to 2 of the 3 coach's that voted for it is this...

It will not change how tournament is played, but it will make sure that your best team for the most part is the 1 seed. So if the 4 or 5 team has only one good pitcher they have to get outa the first games before they can play the 1. It will provide a more secure way to make sure the 2 best teams go to Region.
When the 57th was drawing everyone was upset because the 2 best teams were not always headed to the Region. This will completely put an end to it and do what everyone was wanting, give the 2 or 3 best teams the best opportunity to go.

Also, good competition... There is not a team in the 57th this year that can compete with any great teams from around the state, and with the way the economy is I'm not sure the school systems want to pay the buses to head to far away every weekend. I know that 2 systems have already told there coach's not to be planning any spring break trips this year.
My biggest concern is not so much if we have the best team coming out of the 57th, but if we have the best prepared team going into the Reg. or perhaps further. This is especially striking when you look and see that 1/3 of your games have been played in District. I would think that this format would be a tough sell in the strong regions.This whole thing may just weaken the strongest team ????? On the otherhand it might just strengthen the weakest team who would not even see the Reg.??? Personally I don't think that a team should be required to play a single game in District until the Tournament!!!! It reall is not hard to see what happened here. Anyway my hat goes off to the Tiger skipper that voted no.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:What it changes in my opinion and in talking to 2 of the 3 coach's that voted for it is this...

It will not change how tournament is played, but it will make sure that your best team for the most part is the 1 seed. So if the 4 or 5 team has only one good pitcher they have to get outa the first games before they can play the 1. It will provide a more secure way to make sure the 2 best teams go to Region.
When the 57th was drawing everyone was upset because the 2 best teams were not always headed to the Region. This will completely put an end to it and do what everyone was wanting, give the 2 or 3 best teams the best opportunity to go.

Also, good competition... There is not a team in the 57th this year that can compete with any great teams from around the state, and with the way the economy is I'm not sure the school systems want to pay the buses to head to far away every weekend. I know that 2 systems have already told there coach's not to be planning any spring break trips this year.

It will let you be more prepared for the district and region but that's it, and this is a great example of why the stigma eastern kentucky has isn't going to be lifted anytime soon. There is no way they are going to be able to compete at the state tournament with this type of scheduling format? NO WAY!!
I would say that it should help you be able to compete. It requires you to develop pitching. Everyone knows pitching and Def. wins championships! I also think that the teams in our Region and the 57th for that matter are very competitive. In the last 4 or 5 years the teams from our regions have done pretty well at State. I think that the larger issue here is that people don't like that 1 great arm can possibly put them in a lower seed then 3 good arms. There will be no more of this riding one big arm stuff going on. Personally I like it.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I would say that it should help you be able to compete. It requires you to develop pitching. Everyone knows pitching and Def. wins championships! I also think that the teams in our Region and the 57th for that matter are very competitive. In the last 4 or 5 years the teams from our regions have done pretty well at State. I think that the larger issue here is that people don't like that 1 great arm can possibly put them in a lower seed then 3 good arms. There will be no more of this riding one big arm stuff going on. Personally I like it.

What in the world are you talking about? How does it develop pitchers? The format has nothing to do with developing pitchers?
Its pretty simple. It forces you to develop pitchers because they are going to have to pitch against good competition rather then the crap teams. Teams are going to have to have at least 4 pitchers for the Friday and Saturday series. One of the biggest issues in our area is that most teams only have 1 good pitcher while the others outside Eastern KY has 2 or 3. Forcing kids to pitch in games that matter in must win games against good competition will force our schools to develop pitching at a more efficient rate. Young kids will get valuable experience which should translate over as they mature and enter into their junior and senior years.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:Its pretty simple. It forces you to develop pitchers because they are going to have to pitch against good competition rather then the crap teams. Teams are going to have to have at least 4 pitchers for the Friday and Saturday series. One of the biggest issues in our area is that most teams only have 1 good pitcher while the others outside Eastern KY has 2 or 3. Forcing kids to pitch in games that matter in must win games against good competition will force our schools to develop pitching at a more efficient rate. Young kids will get valuable experience which should translate over as they mature and enter into their junior and senior years.

That makes no sense? What do you think is going to happen to your top 3 pitchers who are wasting their season pitching against the district every week?their not going to get any better doing it that way. Your going to have freshman and sophomores and pitchers who should be throwing to jv teams throwing to your best teams on the schedule. Which in turn results in a mercy rule game and that starts a domino effect of those lexington and Louisville schools refusing to play eastern Kentucky because their not facing good pitchers. Your wrong on this one.
I guess we will see when things play out this season. With the exception of LC the past few years just how many games do we play out of Region any way against the Lex. Louisville teams?
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I guess we will see when things play out this season. With the exception of LC the past few years just how many games do we play out of Region any way against the Lex. Louisville teams?

Several teams do. As a matter of fact it would be easier to list the teams who dont, that would be a smaller list. They don't play as many as they should, because of money and other reasons, but a lot of teams do try.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That makes no sense? What do you think is going to happen to your top 3 pitchers who are wasting their season pitching against the district every week?their not going to get any better doing it that way. Your going to have freshman and sophomores and pitchers who should be throwing to jv teams throwing to your best teams on the schedule. Which in turn results in a mercy rule game and that starts a domino effect of those lexington and Louisville schools refusing to play eastern Kentucky because their not facing good pitchers. Your wrong on this one.
Please explain to me why the best pitchers will not pitch against the best teams? These series are set up on a Fri and Saturday, coaches have set their schedule around this and should have not if smart put these Lex-Louisville teams on the same week.

And it makes sence that it will improve pitchers! A team is now force to throw all their pitchers instead of letting one pitcher do all the work. Theres no way this will hurt you number one pitcher on a team, thats stupid, The Lex-Louisville teams will still face the number ones on the teams.
Actually if you look at the schedules for those in the 57th they may have played 2 or 3 games against lexington and louisville teams total outside there spring break trips. I don't think that is a legit argument. If you could as I said list a few of the teams and just how may games they have played over the last 2 or 3 years against lexington and louisville teams... Also, these series are only making up 4 weekends out of the entire season. There are many other opportunities teams have to play the level of competition that they want to play.
It's obvious were going to disagree and it's really getting obnoxious saying the same thing over and over. So let's just disagree