Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Baseball 2012
dawgbyte02 Wrote:You miss my point. Coach Bowens is one of the best coaches in the state at the varsity level. He expects to win every single game no matter what. This is great for varsity players but is hard for a 13 year old to grasp. All of these players that quit were starters. They are starters in other sports. They are definitely not quitters. They quit because they were not allowed to make mistakes. They were forbidden to strike out. Failure resulted in a very demeaning tirade and violent explosions of rage. All over a middle school game that the next day no one remembered the score. Winning builds egos losing builds character. Learning to deal with failure and loss is a far bigger life lesson teachable moment than celebrating a win. The successful program was built by Keeton who attended many senior league games at Stella Moore to scout players and encourage them to come out for the high school team. Seems like more positive encouragement is needed rather than negative downgrading.

Being one of Bowens former players, I know for a fact he does not violently explode with rage when someone simply strikes out. He does get aggrivated with simple mistakes, which you could argue is a little harsh from Middle School players. He is not looking for perfection. He himself will tell you, baseball is more failure than success. Thats all there is to it. He gives plenty of positive encouragement. I'm not sure what coach you are watching, but you should open your eyes.
Another thing, which goes along with what has been said by Hustle and LCHSalumnus. If you don't like the way Bowens acts, take it up with him. Don't come run your mouth on a message board. Man up and take actions yourself. The way Bowens acts is used to make your kids tough. I know it worked for me and my classmates. If they can't take a little tough love then they don't belong on the diamond. Bowens loves every kid he coaches and only wants the best for them. Either toughen up or stay off the field.
This is more of a hitting team?
This team is really young, but really talented for a young team. Got a few nice young pitchers who have live arms. Team looked like it had a lot of speed, and defense looked pretty solid as well.
They have a great program. I'm sure they will be a contender in due time. Good luck Dawgs!! Looking forward to some baseball real soon.
Even with the loss of the key seniors, they always seem to have a great program.