•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordia moving to the top of the 14th?
Orange now I am glad I am out of trouble in football and now you have taken my placeSmile!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Orange now I am glad I am out of trouble in football and now you have taken my placeSmile!

:Thumbs: I can handle it.
High everyone, its been a while since I have been on here. Let me straight everything out here!!

Yes there has been freshman show up for Coach Rhodes but NO YOU ARE WRONG in saying its freshman that couldn't compete anywheres else. Its actually in-coming freshman that just graduated grade school and haven't even attempted to play for these big high schools because they want to play for an exciting and fun style basketball. Why does Calipari get all these top recruits, because they want to play his style basketball. Well these grade school kids are going to want to go to Cordia because they like most kids are going to want to score 80 points a game instead of 40 and 50.

Cordia will beat teams next year that are better then them just because of their style of basketball. You play that style and press the entire game you will just be in better shape then everyone else and will be putting up more points then the other team can even imagine of scoring.

Letcher Central will be hurting next year because there ONLY outside threat graduated, pack it in on defense and make LCC shot outside and they are Worthless. Wall2Wall is right, Cordia was not far behind if any behind LCC, with this style baskeyvball and Coach Rhodes they are a better team.

Cordia will more then likely lead the 14th Region in scoring and will no question draw huge crowds because of their style basketball. I would like for them to match up with PCC in the regional tourney next year so we all can see if PCC is capable of scoring more then 70 points.
If you are gonna talk recruits, then get your facts straight! The boys are from Texas--NOT New Jersey! (If you knew anythign about Coach Rhodes or Cordia you would know this)
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Sounds as if Orange and Blue played for Letcher, Whitesburg, or Fleming-neon in the 90's when Cordia spanked all of them 95% of the time.

Actually when I was in high school we were 6-1 against Cordia and we were not very good.
Crazy Horse Wrote:High everyone, its been a while since I have been on here. Let me straight everything out here!!

Yes there has been freshman show up for Coach Rhodes but NO YOU ARE WRONG in saying its freshman that couldn't compete anywheres else. Its actually in-coming freshman that just graduated grade school and haven't even attempted to play for these big high schools because they want to play for an exciting and fun style basketball. Why does Calipari get all these top recruits, because they want to play his style basketball. Well these grade school kids are going to want to go to Cordia because they like most kids are going to want to score 80 points a game instead of 40 and 50.

Cordia will beat teams next year that are better then them just because of their style of basketball. You play that style and press the entire game you will just be in better shape then everyone else and will be putting up more points then the other team can even imagine of scoring.

Letcher Central will be hurting next year because there ONLY outside threat graduated, pack it in on defense and make LCC shot outside and they are Worthless. Wall2Wall is right, Cordia was not far behind if any behind LCC, with this style baskeyvball and Coach Rhodes they are a better team.

Cordia will more then likely lead the 14th Region in scoring and will no question draw huge crowds because of their style basketball. I would like for them to match up with PCC in the regional tourney next year so we all can see if PCC is capable of scoring more then 70 points.

PCC won't need to score 70 to beat Cordia...
If Perry Central scores 70 that means they have beaten somebody by 30. Hatcher is the master of the slow, low scoring games.
How can you pack it in a zone and play a wide open game? A wide open game is only good against teams that you have more depth or more talent.
You must need to go back and check your KHSAA website in the 90's Cordia dominated that district, Home and Away. People tend to remember what they want and forget what they don't want. Obviously that must to have not been your era of basketball.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:You must need to go back and check your KHSAA website in the 90's Cordia dominated that district, Home and Away. People tend to remember what they want and forget what they don't want. Obviously that must to have not been your era of basketball.

Looks to me like you're on the inside looking out....
Let's wait until Cordia actually tips off for the first time before we start talking about them dominating a game.

Cordia has their work cut out of them with Letcher and Knott.
They are coming off of a bad season and if Denny couldn't muster up some wins out of those kids then I don't see Rhodes doing it without some QUALITY transfers.
School starts soon....
the transfer rumors will come to a head in the coming weeks.
Anyone seen the Rhodes shirts they are selling? Pretty cool.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:If Perry Central scores 70 that means they have beaten somebody by 30. Hatcher is the master of the slow, low scoring games.

I talked to Hatcher awhile back and a few of his assistants and they all say Perry is going to play a little faster this year... Hatcher didn't always play slow ball, the guy just does what it takes for his team to win.....

But back to the topic of this thread... Top of the Region

I'd say this is how the preseason top 10 will look:

1- Perry Central
2- Buckhorn
3- Knott Central
4- Hazard
5- Breathitt County
6- Letcher Central
7- Leslie County
8- Cordia
9- Wolfe County
10- Powell County

I know a lot of people are high on Cordia right now but unless they bring some big time help in I see maybe a .500 win season or around 12-15....

Lets not forget Denny Fugate is a pretty good high school basketball coach, and he had a hard time last season with Cordia....
Buckhorn will definitely shake up some teams this year..
It's a shame they got paired first round with PCC at PCC in district last year.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Ballers you keep telling yourself that Leycher is a few spots back. Just how we like it.

Good because that, IMO is how it is.

HDE Wrote:You think Letcher will be behind Cordia in the region? Letcher should be ranked quite a bit higher, maybe third or fourth in the region.
Uhh 3rd or 4th? You gotta be kidding me. Letcher has one guy that their whole game revolves around.

OrangenowBlue Wrote:You are definitely wrong on all accounts.

Who cares, stop living in the past.
ekff Wrote:I talked to Hatcher awhile back and a few of his assistants and they all say Perry is going to play a little faster this year... Hatcher didn't always play slow ball, the guy just does what it takes for his team to win.....

But back to the topic of this thread... Top of the Region

I'd say this is how the preseason top 10 will look:

1- Perry Central
2- Buckhorn
3- Knott Central
4- Hazard
5- Breathitt County
6- Letcher Central
7- Leslie County
8- Cordia
9- Wolfe County
10- Powell County

I know a lot of people are high on Cordia right now but unless they bring some big time help in I see maybe a .500 win season or around 12-15....

Lets not forget Denny Fugate is a pretty good high school basketball coach, and he had a hard time last season with Cordia....

I've heard the same thing.
I hear its going to be Braxton at the 1, Trevor at 2, Huff at 3, (it's a secret) at 4, and Dalton at 5.
zaga_fan Wrote:I've heard the same thing.
I hear its going to be Braxton at the 1, Trevor at 2, Huff at 3, (it's a secret) at 4, and Dalton at 5.

Trevor Kelly at the 4.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:You must need to go back and check your KHSAA website in the 90's Cordia dominated that district, Home and Away. People tend to remember what they want and forget what they don't want. Obviously that must to have not been your era of basketball.

That statement is a little misleading as the KHSAA only goes back the final three years of the nineties. What about 1990-1997? Since you know so much, give me Cordia's exact record over every Letcher County team during that time period.
Ballers Wrote:Good because that, IMO is how it is.

Uhh 3rd or 4th? You gotta be kidding me. Letcher has one guy that their whole game revolves around.

Who cares, stop living in the past.

That doesn't make any sense since I wasn't the one who brought up the past and all the supposed past glory of the Cordia Lions.
91, 92, 93 Cordia lead the entire state of KY in scoring. Had the only team in school history to be ranked in the top 25 in the state. And yes was ranked the best team and dominated every team in the region other then MC Napier. People without Brian Roark who else on that team is a good hand to shoot the ball. Without him Cordia would of beat them last year.

In order for any team to beat Cordia you better put up the points, because Cordia WILL BE the best conditioned team in the region and will average more points a game then any other team.

How did Cordia come off a bad season? They just lost to Letcher Central by 3 or 4 points and lost to KCC in the district tourney by 11. And they played right with these teams with a big man of 5'11". Actually they won more games then what most of you would of thought they would. Rhodes brings his Pitino style basketball to this region and lets all pray this region gets back to where its actually exciting to watch.

Yes it is true we are going to have to wait for the first time they play Letcher or Knott to see what they really are made of, but I will tell you this, its going to be extremely difficult to run up and down the court with them because they are already having 4 hour workouts. Like I said they are already working hard, how many other teams are already doing this? They are going to be in crazy shape
Crazy Horse Wrote:91, 92, 93 Cordia lead the entire state of KY in scoring. Had the only team in school history to be ranked in the top 25 in the state. And yes was ranked the best team and dominated every team in the region other then MC Napier. People without Brian Roark who else on that team is a good hand to shoot the ball. Without him Cordia would of beat them last year.

In order for any team to beat Cordia you better put up the points, because Cordia WILL BE the best conditioned team in the region and will average more points a game then any other team.

How did Cordia come off a bad season? They just lost to Letcher Central by 3 or 4 points and lost to KCC in the district tourney by 11. And they played right with these teams with a big man of 5'11". Actually they won more games then what most of you would of thought they would. Rhodes brings his Pitino style basketball to this region and lets all pray this region gets back to where its actually exciting to watch.

Yes it is true we are going to have to wait for the first time they play Letcher or Knott to see what they really are made of, but I will tell you this, its going to be extremely difficult to run up and down the court with them because they are already having 4 hour workouts. Like I said they are already working hard, how many other teams are already doing this? They are going to be in crazy shape

Its a funny thing to me that in 91, 92, and 93 Knott County Central won the 14th region. So they must not have dominated them. Did they win the All "A" region. I do know that Jenkins won it in 1991 with Johnny Ray Williams and Brian Johnson. Dilce Combs was in there also and they also won the state with Cavanaugh Trent and Heston Beverly. Owsley County(runner up one year) and Hazard also had several All "A" state appearances. It might be easier to list the district titles that Cordia has won because I do not remember them either.
Crazy Horse Wrote:91, 92, 93 Cordia lead the entire state of KY in scoring. Had the only team in school history to be ranked in the top 25 in the state. And yes was ranked the best team and dominated every team in the region other then MC Napier. People without Brian Roark who else on that team is a good hand to shoot the ball. Without him Cordia would of beat them last year.

Knott beat them by 14 in the District without Nason Roberts or Zach Davis!!!!

Cordia didn't have a good season last year any way u look at it... A 7-16 record is not good...

Knott beat Cordia by: 27, 20, and 14 - without Davis or Roberts

Letcher beat Cordia by: 22, and 4

Hazard beat Cordia by: 34

Buckhorn beat Cordia by: 27, and 15

Powell beat Cordia by: 28

Cordia only had 7 wins last season - Owsley County (4-20) , Jenkins (7-18), Jackson City (7-19), Riverside (1-27), and Garrard County (10-18).... That's a bad season....

I don't believe Cordia will score more points a game then Breathitt, Knott, or Buckhorn.... But that's not the key to winning, it's how many points will Cordia allow...

Cordia will be in shape but that really doesn't mean that much in the 14th region. Talent level is very low in the 14th, so I'll take the teams that does have talent over a team that's in great shape.... Only way I see Cordia being a top team in the region is if those players do come....

Rhodes was a great player, and might be a good coach but he's coaching in a region with guys that know how to win in the 14th....
Letcher Central beat them 22 the second time they played. That game somehow is never mentioned.
I am not saying Cordia had a good season last year, and yes Cordia did get beat badly the second time around by LCC. But the majority of the games they lost were close through the 1st half, and the teams pulled away in the 2nd half. Cordia has the guards, the desperately need size.

Cordia will be in shape and press teams, but I'm not saying RUPP or nothing like that. I am just saying that LCC and KCC better be ready for a dog fight because there will be no 20+ victories anymore.

I am a proud graduate of Cordia and I am just excited about what is happening on Lotts Creek. I have talked with Rod several times since he has been in town and everytime I talk to him, the more pumped I get. What I think that many of you don't understand is that Joel and Alice told him that Cordia was very small, told him about the small gym, emailed him pics of the gym, told him that the school has never been to a state tournament and only has one District title in school history. He took this job to affect the kids and their lives. From him, to his brother, to many of the people that know him believe he is on Lotts Creeks for awhile. He wants to turn Cordia into a contender in this region. He played pro ball, he has money so money has got nothing to do with it. I wish Rod the best of Luck and I can't wait to see what and where he takes my Lions!!!!!
ekff Wrote:Knott beat them by 14 in the District without Nason Roberts or Zach Davis!!!!

Cordia didn't have a good season last year any way u look at it... A 7-16 record is not good...

Cordia only had 7 wins last season - Owsley County (4-20) , Jenkins (7-18), Jackson City (7-19), Riverside (1-27), and Garrard County (10-18).... That's a bad season....

I don't believe Cordia will score more points a game then Breathitt, Knott, or Buckhorn.... But that's not the key to winning, it's how many points will Cordia allow...

Cordia will be in shape but that really doesn't mean that much in the 14th region. Talent level is very low in the 14th, so I'll take the teams that does have talent over a team that's in great shape.... Only way I see Cordia being a top team in the region is if those players do come....

Rhodes was a great player, and might be a good coach but he's coaching in a region with guys that know how to win in the 14th....

One game Knott didn't have Nason, all three they didnt have Zach. The Letcher game was close till the 4th. The Hazard game was around 10 points at halftime. Both Buckhorn games were close till LATE. And they just layed a goose egg against Powell.

But you are right, they didnt have any impressive victories. But many of the teams that beat them had to work.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Its a funny thing to me that in 91, 92, and 93 Knott County Central won the 14th region. So they must not have dominated them. Did they win the All "A" region. I do know that Jenkins won it in 1991 with Johnny Ray Williams and Brian Johnson. Dilce Combs was in there also and they also won the state with Cavanaugh Trent and Heston Beverly. Owsley County(runner up one year) and Hazard also had several All "A" state appearances. It might be easier to list the district titles that Cordia has won because I do not remember them either.

Cordia was a great offensive team, but their defense let them down a lot as well. Cordia, can not remember which year, was ranked in the top 20 in the state and #1 in region. Was upset by M.C.Napier in semi-finals of region.
WALL2WALL Wrote:I am not saying Cordia had a good season last year, and yes Cordia did get beat badly the second time around by LCC. But the majority of the games they lost were close through the 1st half, and the teams pulled away in the 2nd half. Cordia has the guards, the desperately need size.

Cordia will be in shape and press teams, but I'm not saying RUPP or nothing like that. I am just saying that LCC and KCC better be ready for a dog fight because there will be no 20+ victories anymore.

I am a proud graduate of Cordia and I am just excited about what is happening on Lotts Creek. I have talked with Rod several times since he has been in town and everytime I talk to him, the more pumped I get. What I think that many of you don't understand is that Joel and Alice told him that Cordia was very small, told him about the small gym, emailed him pics of the gym, told him that the school has never been to a state tournament and only has one District title in school history. He took this job to affect the kids and their lives. From him, to his brother, to many of the people that know him believe he is on Lotts Creeks for awhile. He wants to turn Cordia into a contender in this region. He played pro ball, he has money so money has got nothing to do with it. I wish Rod the best of Luck and I can't wait to see what and where he takes my Lions!!!!!

Wall2Wall I will have to give you credit. That is a very good and reasonable statement. One of the best ones I have seen so far.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Wall2Wall I will have to give you credit. That is a very good and reasonable statement. One of the best ones I have seen so far.

Thanks Man!!! Just my opinion on it, you guys should meet him, he is a great guy, and tells some of the funniest stories of when he played with Charles Barkley.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Letcher Central beat them 22 the second time they played. That game somehow is never mentioned.

Good Point.

WALL2WALL Wrote:I am not saying Cordia had a good season last year, and yes Cordia did get beat badly the second time around by LCC. But the majority of the games they lost were close through the 1st half, and the teams pulled away in the 2nd half. Cordia has the guards, the desperately need size.

Good Post Wall.

ekff Wrote:Knott beat them by 14 in the District without Nason Roberts or Zach Davis!!!!

:Thumbs: ---Heard from a good source, they'll be here. Only time will tell if true though.

Statements like that would almost drive me to betting for money.
Thats why they call him Crazy Horse
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next