Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
top players in the 16th region and favorites for player of the year
lets hear everybody's list and see if it holds true at the end of the year
Let's start the discussion by breaking down each team individually. As I see it Ashland is absolutlely loaded with talent. Talent that includes players such as Mykal (I'm the fastest human being alive) Farris to Julia (The Beast) Heaberlin, Kaylyn (Dead eye) Gambill, Allie (Total game) Slone, Sydney Cullop and future superstar Alexis Robinson.
Boyd Co. has Taylor Wheeler and Logan Fraley as their stars.
Fairview - Kayla Day
Raceland - Taylor Lacks and Brooke Gee
Lewis Co. - Taylor Frye and Savannah Anderson
Greenup Co.- Destiny Jones and Kayleigh White
Fleming Co. - Robbie Alex
Rowan Co. - Kathryn Duff and Stevee Townsend
Rose Hill - Alana Martin
East Carter - ?
West Carter - ?
Russell - ?
Bath Co. - ?
Morgan Co. - ?
Menifee Co. - ?
Elliott Co. - ?

I feel that out of these players Mykal Farris, Kayla Day and Julia Heaberlin are the leading candidates for Player of the year with Mykal Farris winning it.
Mykal Farris is hands down the favorite with nobody close in my opinion....also hearing that the White girl for Greenup has transferred to somewhere in Ohio....big blow for Greenup Co.
I hear alana Martin tranferred to ironton
Top 10 in order

1. Farris- also player of the year
2. Robinson
3. Day
4. Gambill
5. Gee
6. Alex
7. Townsend
8. Heaberlin
9. Lacks
10. Frye

** honorable mention **
Fraley
I'm pretty sure Martin did transfer
dei227 Wrote:Mykal Farris is hands down the favorite with nobody close in my opinion....also hearing that the White girl for Greenup has transferred to somewhere in Ohio....big blow for Greenup Co.

She would have made list if she was still in the region
Ashland should win the region hands down, besides the tomcats the rest of this region is plum awful compared to years past.
If Ashland presses they will put games away by halftime, if they don't then games will b interesting. Although they did add a couple more tough games to there schedule that will be tough.
Top Ten
1. Farris
2. Day
3. Heaberlin
4. Gee
5. Anderson
6. Lacks
7. Slone
8. Cullop
9. Alex
10.Gambill

Honorable mention - Robinson
Farris
Day
Gambill
Heaberlin
Robinson
Townsend
Frye
Alex
Cullop
Lacks
with the junior and senior classes being so down in the 16th i feel that fraley should be getting more praise being one of the atleast top 3 shooters in the region
Although Fraley is a good shooter is that the only criteria for being a top player. Imo her defense needs work, shes too slow and can be guarded easily. When I think of top players I try to look at their whole game. Do they play good defense, rebound, get steals, hustle, score, don't turn the ball over etc.
Other good players I put in this category would be M. Jones, T. Frye, D. Jones, T. Wheeler and S. Townsend.
Fraley has to be in there after the way she came on strong at the end of last season. Had over 20 points at the state playoffs. Wheeler was 16th playoff MVP. Day, Farris, Gambill and Heberlin were all-area. Gee and Lacks could be a great combination.
I agree this is my list:

Farris -POY
Day
Duff
Anderson
Gee
Fraley
Heaberlin
S. Townsend
Alex
Gambill
I remember watching Rowan play last year they struggled with guard play. i hear the have two guards that transfered from a christian school. is this true?
I think it comes down to these two players for POY
Farris-ashland
Day-fairview
Yes, Rowan will have Taylor and Faith Conn who played for Lakeside Christian Academy.
the top players from the 16th region according to Rick Bolus in alphabetical order
Duff- Rowan
Farris- Ashland
Moore- Boyd
Robinson- Ashland
Does Rick bolus get most of his information from his camps. Just wondering because there are some girls that he doesn't have on his list that have better stats than some that he has listed. Not saying anything about him, think he does a great job, just curios if there's girls that he doesn't see because they don't go to his camps or are not on a major travel team.
A lot of people are caught up in stats. I've seen a lot of kids that avg 20 ppg on a bad team that would struggle to get playing time on a good team, especially in the 16th region.
Gotta agree with you there
Farris is the best in the region. Best all around athlete, best defender, extended the range on her jumper over the summer and is more worried about winning than stats, something some others cannot say that are highly ranked.
I cannot believe that Taylor Wheeler (MVP of the Regional Tourney) and Logan Fraley are hardly even mentioned. Both are top 5 players. I must now pause for a brief moment and give praise to you Ashlanders. After predicting for the last 5 years that the Kittens were going to win the Region, your dire prophecies may just come true this year.

After my brief pause....I now reconsider my top ten....in no particular order:
1. Cullop
2. Gambill
3. Farris
4. Heaberlin
5. Gunter
6. Jones
7. Robinson
8. Slone
9. Gransberry
10. Foutch

Honorable mention in no particular order:
Lacks, Epling, Gee, Martin, Duff, Destiny Jones

Coaches of the Year: Steve Porter, Pete Fraley, George Bellamy for having the coconuts to be in the same District as the mighty Kittens!
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Farris is the best in the region. Best all around athlete, best defender, extended the range on her jumper over the summer and is more worried about winning than stats, something some others cannot say that are highly ranked.

Easily the best athlete...not the best player imo. May not even be the best basketball player on her team (Alexis Robinson).
:thatsfunn
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Farris is the best in the region. Best all around athlete, best defender, extended the range on her jumper over the summer and is more worried about winning than stats, something some others cannot say that are highly ranked.

FrankenMonkey Wrote:I cannot believe that Taylor Wheeler (MVP of the Regional Tourney) and Logan Fraley are hardly even mentioned. Both are top 5 players. I must now pause for a brief moment and give praise to you Ashlanders. After predicting for the last 5 years that the Kittens were going to win the Region, your dire prophecies may just come true this year.

After my brief pause....I now reconsider my top ten....in no particular order:
1. Cullop
2. Gambill
3. Farris
4. Heaberlin
5. Gunter
6. Jones
7. Robinson
8. Slone
9. Gransberry
10. Foutch

Honorable mention in no particular order:
Lacks, Epling, Gee, Martin, Duff, Destiny Jones

Coaches of the Year: Steve Porter, Pete Fraley, George Bellamy for having the coconuts to be in the same District as the mighty Kittens!

:thatsfunn Hilarious! I'm not quite as ready as some to hand over the 16th Region crown to AShland yet. Will they be the favorite? Absolutely. Are they the most talented? Absoultely. There are plenty of unanswered questions about this group.
And Logan Fraley is unquestionably one of the 10 best in the region.
Ashland will go as far as Farris takes them. She is the leader of that team. Bradley will put her on the best player on the other team and she will shut them down more often than not. There are other very good players at Paul Blazer, but none of them are as complete as Farris. She is their best defender, best athlete and she is better offensively than she is given credit. There may be better shooters on the team, but not a more complete player than her.
HD28 Wrote:And Logan Fraley is unquestionably one of the 10 best in the region.

Not yet ...way too soon to make that call. A very good player but lets see this year after Chaney and Plybon are not there and she gets everybodys best defender....I hope she proves me wrong.
I agree dei227, Fraley is not there yet. I also don't think Robinson is a top 10 player yet. Although both are excellent players their time is not now.