Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitt Romney receives Mysterious 1Mill
Report: Mysterious company gives pro-Romney group $1M, then dissolves

A mysterious corporation that was formed in Delaware in March gave $1 million in April to a political group backing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney -- and then dissolved in July, according to a report from NBC News' Michael Isikoff. It's unclear exactly who was behind the large donation.

The group Restore Our Future, a so-called "super political action committee," received a donation of $1 million from W Spann LLC on April 28, according to the super PAC's campaign disclosure report, filed last week. The group received $12.2 million during the first six months of the year, including gifts from four donors who gave $1 million each, the report showed.

One of the million-dollar donors was W Spann LLC, formed by Boston estate tax planner lawyer Cameron Casey, who specializes in "wealth transfer strategies" for high-end clients. Casey works for the firm Ropes & Gray's, which has done work for Bain Capital, the investment firm formerly headed by Romney.

Ropes & Gray's is also one of several major companies, Isikoff reports, that have offices at a Manhattan office building at 590 Madison Ave. -- the address listed for W Spann. Other companies there include UBS, IBM and Cemex. The building, however, has no record of a tenant called W Spann. On top of that, corporate records for W Spann give no information about the company's owner or the type of business it does.

Restore Our Future told Isikoff that the super PAC has complied with all Federal Election Commission disclosure requirements and said it did not ask W Spann for information about its business.

Restore Our Future is a super PAC that's independent of Romney's campaign but was founded by three former Romney aides with an interest in electing the former Massachusetts governor as president. The group is similar to Priorities USA, the super PAC founded by Obama allies Bill Burton and Sean Sweeney.

The 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court ruling allows for corporations and labor unions to spend unlimited money on political campaigns, though not by giving directly to candidates or party committees.

Lawrence Noble, former FEC general counsel, told NBC that the establishment of a company for the sole purpose of donating to a super PAC could raise a "serious" legal issue.
I hate that everytime it happens to me!!!
Obama received more than $200 million in mysterious donations in 2008 and taxpayers will soon be funding his "jobs" campaign bus tour.

The $1 million donation probably came from businessmen who see our economy crumbling but fear retribution from Obama if they openly donate to Romney.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Obama received more than $200 million in mysterious donations in 2008 and taxpayers will soon be funding his "jobs" campaign bus tour.

The $1 million donation probably came from businessmen who see our economy crumbling but fear retribution from Obama if they openly donate to Romney.

Isn't it funny how people get upset over the use of someone elses money? These are the same people that demand to raise taxes on OTHERS.. and then spend their money as they see fit.

Mitt Romney has brought billions to this nation and probably created more jobs in the last 35 minutes than obama has in the last 35 years.

Please, someone.... show me the obama record of not taking 'big money', and creating 'lots of jobs'. go ahead... i'll wait.
real_change Wrote:Isn't it funny how people get upset over the use of someone elses money? These are the same people that demand to raise taxes on OTHERS.. and then spend their money as they see fit.

Mitt Romney has brought billions to this nation and probably created more jobs in the last 35 minutes than obama has in the last 35 years.

Please, someone.... show me the obama record of not taking 'big money', and creating 'lots of jobs'. go ahead... i'll wait.
In a Romney/Obama race, I will vote for Romney. In a Perry/Obama race, I will vote for Obama. I'm leaving it up to Republicans to make it happen.
Even though Perry did disappoint me on illegal immigration in the debate last night, I can't fathom voting Obama over any candidate in the race.

Even though Perry is in a quandary by living in a border state and by the fact the Texas legislators overwhelmingly approve, he lost some of my respect by defending children of illegal aliens getting $100,000 of tuition at state colleges subsidized by tax payers. I don't care what he says...It is a magnet.

If ANY CHILDREN are worthy of getting their tuition subsidized by tax dollars, at the very least their parents should be LEGAL citizens of Texas/USA. Agree?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Even though Perry did disappoint me on illegal immigration in the debate last night, I can't fathom voting Obama over any candidate in the race.

Even though Perry is in a quandary by living in a border state and by the fact the Texas legislators overwhelmingly approve, he lost some of my respect by defending children of illegal aliens getting $100,000 of tuition at state colleges subsidized by tax payers. I don't care what he says...It is a magnet.

If ANY CHILDREN are worthy of getting their tuition subsidized by tax dollars, at the very least their parents should be LEGAL citizens of Texas/USA. Agree?
You know whats sad about that whole thing? I am ready to face the brunt of this post, but so be it. What is the difference in the 70% of Eastern Kentucky, born in the United States, on the draw from the time they are 18 or 19, refusing to work and letting the government take care of them and their four kids, sponging free medical care and their pain pills, and getting free handouts at every turn.......and illegals? Personally, Im more sick of the lazyass Appalachians than I am the Mexicans that come here and bust their asses to earn their money, under the table or not. I respect an illegal coming here to better their life. Yeah, go ahead and give me the "Yeah but they have to do it the right way" all you want. If you lived in Mexico or a country that had substandard living conditions, with no chance of it ever getting better, and America was right across the border, then you better believe that you'd try everyway in the world to CROSS that border and better your life. I would. I'd try until I got in. I get tired of these "entitled check drawers" bitching about the Mexicans to the point of I just want to beat their lazy asses in the dirt. Yeah I realize there is a problem, but the 20 and 25 year old Americans in this country laying on the couch eating cheetos and making babies every nine months, drawing a kings ransom at an alarming rate is more of a problem than the illegals issue. But nobody wants to hurt their feelings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:You know whats sad about that whole thing? I am ready to face the brunt of this post, but so be it. What is the difference in the 70% of Eastern Kentucky, born in the United States, on the draw from the time they are 18 or 19, refusing to work and letting the government take care of them and their four kids, sponging free medical care and their pain pills, and getting free handouts at every turn.......and illegals? Personally, Im more sick of the lazyass Appalachians than I am the Mexicans that come here and bust their asses to earn their money, under the table or not. I respect an illegal coming here to better their life. Yeah, go ahead and give me the "Yeah but they have to do it the right way" all you want. If you lived in Mexico or a country that had substandard living conditions, with no chance of it ever getting better, and America was right across the border, then you better believe that you'd try everyway in the world to CROSS that border and better your life. I would. I'd try until I got in. I get tired of these "entitled check drawers" bitching about the Mexicans to the point of I just want to beat their lazy asses in the dirt. Yeah I realize there is a problem, but the 20 and 25 year old Americans in this country laying on the couch eating cheetos and making babies every nine months, drawing a kings ransom at an alarming rate is more of a problem than the illegals issue. But nobody wants to hurt their feelings.
Hey man, I agree with you on those "lazy ass appalachians". Not only them, but those in every county of every state. Too many handouts to legals or illegals. If there is a list though, illegals should be on the bottom IMO.

If I were a Mexican that wanted to become an American, I would do it legally. If he is the ass buster you described, he'll bust his ass to become legal. Won't he?
TidesHoss32 Wrote:You know whats sad about that whole thing? I am ready to face the brunt of this post, but so be it. What is the difference in the 70% of Eastern Kentucky, born in the United States, on the draw from the time they are 18 or 19, refusing to work and letting the government take care of them and their four kids, sponging free medical care and their pain pills, and getting free handouts at every turn.......and illegals? Personally, Im more sick of the lazyass Appalachians than I am the Mexicans that come here and bust their asses to earn their money, under the table or not. I respect an illegal coming here to better their life. Yeah, go ahead and give me the "Yeah but they have to do it the right way" all you want. If you lived in Mexico or a country that had substandard living conditions, with no chance of it ever getting better, and America was right across the border, then you better believe that you'd try everyway in the world to CROSS that border and better your life. I would. I'd try until I got in. I get tired of these "entitled check drawers" bitching about the Mexicans to the point of I just want to beat their lazy asses in the dirt. Yeah I realize there is a problem, but the 20 and 25 year old Americans in this country laying on the couch eating cheetos and making babies every nine months, drawing a kings ransom at an alarming rate is more of a problem than the illegals issue. But nobody wants to hurt their feelings.
:Thumbs: I am with you. I would gladly trade 10...make that 100...no make that all lazy, government check drawing, poorly educated, ambition-less, good-for-nothing eastern Kentucky meth-heads for one hard working immigrant who is not a parasite on American taxpayers (preferably a well-educated, legal immigrant who is on a path to citizenship).
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Hey man, I agree with you on those "lazy ass appalachians". Not only them, but those in every county of every state. Too many handouts to legals or illegals. If there is a list though, illegals should be on the bottom IMO.

If I were a Mexican that wanted to become an American, I would do it legally. If he is the ass buster you described, he'll bust his ass to become legal. Won't he?
I think he'd do what he felt he had to do, and eventually he would be legal. For the record, after I reread my post, I noticed there were a few "you's and yours" in it. The "you" and "your" in that post wasnt directed at you, lol..it was just made in jest. I wasnt directing any of this towards you, by any means. I bet you thought "wtf is this guys problem with my post?", lol..I have zero problem with your post. Just saw an oppurtunity to add to it with something I feel strongly about (these people in this area and their entitlement). I agree with just about everything you post. Just about Big Grin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: I am with you. I would gladly trade 10...make that 100...no make that all lazy, government check drawing, poorly educated, ambition-less, good-for-nothing eastern Kentucky meth-heads for one hard working immigrant who is not a parasite on American taxpayers (preferably a well-educated, legal immigrant who is on a path to citizenship).
This is a post that You and I agree on 110%. :Thumbs:

I agree but would add that 18 or 19, refusing to work and letting the government take care of them from all 50 states not just Appalachia is a joke
Benchwarmer Wrote:I agree but would add that 18 or 19, refusing to work and letting the government take care of them from all 50 states not just Appalachia is a joke
Oh yeah, definitely. Its not just the Appalachians. It goes for all 50 states.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]