Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westboro Baptist Church has a right
Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus....tml?hpt=C1
A Kansas church known for its angry, anti-gay protests at funerals of U.S. troops won an appeal Wednesday at the Supreme Court in a case testing the competing constitutional rights of free speech and privacy.
In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said that members of Westboro Baptist Church had a right to promote what they call a broad-based message on public matters such as wars. The father of a fallen Marine had sued the small church, saying those protests amounted to targeted harassment and an intentional infliction of emotional distress.

I'm so mixed on this but in the end the Supreme Court got it right:yikes:.
If you claim to support the First Amendment, then...............
I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it - Evelyn Beatrice Hall
nky Wrote:Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus....tml?hpt=C1
A Kansas church known for its angry, anti-gay protests at funerals of U.S. troops won an appeal Wednesday at the Supreme Court in a case testing the competing constitutional rights of free speech and privacy.
In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said that members of Westboro Baptist Church had a right to promote what they call a broad-based message on public matters such as wars. The father of a fallen Marine had sued the small church, saying those protests amounted to targeted harassment and an intentional infliction of emotional distress.

I'm so mixed on this but in the end the Supreme Court got it right:yikes:.
If you claim to support the First Amendment, then...............
I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Voltaire also said this.
First off- Thank you, Judge Alito.

Second- If a Vet was to walk up to this bunch and open fire on them, Ill be the first one to organize fundraisers for his bail money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wonder if they would be so passionate about wishing our troops dead, if they were all of a sudden transplanted into Afgahnistan or Iraq.

I mean if some members were suddenly kidnapped and woke up in the war zone. I doubt they would grab their signs and shout their hate then.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I wonder if they would be so passionate about wishing our troops dead, if they were all of a sudden transplanted into Afgahnistan or Iraq.

I mean if some members were suddenly kidnapped and woke up in the war zone. I doubt they would grab their signs and shout their hate then.
Post of the year. :1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:Voltaire also said this.
Actually, he didn't. Beatrice wrote it in her book "Friends of Voltaire". She was supposedly paraphrasing his beliefs on freedom of expression. But, I digress.

I hate everything about WBC, but like nky, I am tore on this one. I hate to see anybody's freedom of speech walked on. But, like TH32, if someone were to stomp a mud puddle in their ***, I would have to laugh
TheRealVille Wrote:Actually, he didn't. Beatrice wrote it in her book "Friends of Voltaire". She was supposedly paraphrasing his beliefs on freedom of expression. But, I digress.

I hate everything about WBC, but like nky, I am tore on this one. I hate to see anybody's freedom of speech walked on. But, like TH32, if someone were to stomp a mud puddle in their ***, I would have to laugh

I guess we have to be technical don't we, lol.

This one of the VERY few cases EVER when I wish the Supreme Court were allowed to use common sense. The law does say they can, but human compassion says no way!
LWC Wrote:I guess we have to be technical don't we, lol.

This one of the VERY few cases EVER when I wish the Supreme Court were allowed to use common sense. The law does say they can, but human compassion says no way!
:Thumbs:
Instead of responding with violence use creative solutions. Stand infront of these "religious" people with large tarps of something to block their message.
No one should be holding up signs of any kind when a family is trying to bury a loved one, especially someone who has died for their freedom.
Everybody knows WBC is full of crap in everything they do. Theyve have become nothing better than a bunch of manson followers.
Wouldnt it be a beautiful thing to see a lot of these younger protesters get drafted into the military one day lol. Theyd crap on theirselves for sure then.
This bunch has opened up a brand new world for arguing on different subject...
For example, lets say one of these guys get drafted in a war someday. Can they get out of it just like the Muslim community did back in Vietnam(Ali) or will they just be shrugged off because that wouldnt seem right, yet they continue to do this type of thing living in a free society that has way to many loopholes. Im not sure where to side as many of you but i believe all American should have the right to a private session on private land and if so would the same rules apply to defending yourself if one of these protesters walked onto your land, even if their protesting a funeral, and you feel threatened, would you have the right to blow them away. I think they should. I know if i had a son or young relative in the military who had died and these wack jobs showed up, i wouldnt show any mercy.
Let's not confuse Morally right, Ethically right, and Legally right.

The Supreme Court ruled they had the legal right to do this. As a "church" of faith I would think they would know what they are doing is morally objectionable, and they have an ethical responsibility not to do this
I've already had my day with these people, and I would do the exact same thing over again. If a fist to the face is the only thing that will make these people leave the funeral, then I will provide that.

But they do have the right to come to my dead friends' funeral and yell and cuss at his wife and kids. I think there should be a law that lets the families choose to be able to remove who they want from a funeral...even if it's public property. This is just pathetic. It was like I didn't really believe they did this **** until I seen it..I still can't believe anyone could be that disrespectful.

They'll always have the right to do it, and I'll always react the same.
vundy33 Wrote:I've already had my day with these people, and I would do the exact same thing over again. If a fist to the face is the only thing that will make these people leave the funeral, then I will provide that.

But they do have the right to come to my dead friends' funeral and yell and cuss at his wife and kids. I think there should be a law that lets the families choose to be able to remove who they want from a funeral...even if it's public property. This is just pathetic. It was like I didn't really believe they did this **** until I seen it..I still can't believe anyone could be that disrespectful.

They'll always have the right to do it, and I'll always react the same.
:Thumbs:
Why is it that when someone says that which you agree with, they are heroes? And those that speak against that which you believe, are evil?

I'm in the military, have served in Iraq and soon enough afghanistan. I've lost those to my left and right... and will again soon. And as much as i disagree with WBC, i'll fight until the death to protect them and their god given right to express their views. Why don't you? better yet, why don't defend this nation? just curious, how many here have started a counter protest against WBC? how many have joined the military? how many have defended that which they hate?

pathetic.