Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region 2011-12
Who's your favorite to win the region since this year clay is down but I'm sure they won't go down easy. Mine would have to be Harlan County. Seeing that they return basically everyone.

They return one of the most if not the most talented pitching staffs in the 13th region..

-Tyler Boggs
-James bond
-Tyler Cornett
-Connor leisge.
( I'm basing this on the ones I've seen pitch For them and that's this group of talented young men.)

Let's hear what you guys think?
^ sorry about the 2011.
North Laurel is no doubt the favorite to win the 13th region this season. They return a core group that nearly knocked off Clay in the championship last season. After that, you have a group of teams that could step up and win the 13th. That group is Harlan County, Middlesboro, Corbin, Clay County & South Laurel. If I were to rank the 13th preseason it would look like this:

1) North Laurel (IMO.. they will be similar to Clay and the 13th from last season)
2) Harlan County (Good group of players.. good assistant coach that may help boost to championship caliber)
3) Middlesboro (Not far behind HC, but will have to be better defensively)
4) Corbin (Will go as far as Vorbeck can carry them)
5) Clay County/South Laurel (Clay has some decent returning talent mixed with some decent young talent/ South has good young talent that will be hungry to compete)
7) Knox/Bell/Barbourville/Jackson Co. (Couldn't decide which to put ahead of the other because much is up in the air/ Knox will be down in talent but are well coached/ Bell will have a good group of young talent and may be better by season's end/ B'ville may be better than both with the returning group they have/ Jackson could be a sleeper)
8) Williamsburg (well coached.. lost a lot so may be a step below previous 3.. but could move up)
9) Whitley Co. (lost a lot as well from last season.. IMO.. where one of more talented teams last season, but losing that senior class will set them back.. could be on par with W'burg though)
10) Pineville/Harlan (Harlan did not lose anything, but they weren't very good last season/ Pineville & Harlan are still a step above Lynn Camp though from last season.)
11) Lynn Camp (I hope to see Lynn Camp do better this season.. with very few players to choose from and players not playing last season, it made for a long season.)
You do have a good point my friend.. I just don't know if North laurel would have the pitching to compete, but they most definitely have the bats.
North Laurel should be a pre-season top 25 team and they dont have many faults. Harlan Co. will be a tough team and willl not get the respect they probably deserve. Everyone other team will be trying to catch these two teams to win the region. Where is the region this year?
I do believe it's at North Laurel this year but I could be wrong. More than likely these two teams will play for the region title. I believe they play each other this season, if they do should be a good game.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I do believe it's at North Laurel this year but I could be wrong. More than likely these two teams will play for the region title. I believe they play each other this season, if they do should be a good game.

The 49th hosted it last year so it shouldnt be NL. Since the 49th hosted last year it should be the 50ths turn (Whitley Hosted the 50th last time), so my guess is region will be at Corbin.

North should be the team to beat returning UK commit Storm and company. But Clay is reigning champion until proven otherwise. Clay returns more than people think; Leadoff hitter Corey Corum, Tanner Hensly who was amongst the teams leaders in bombs last year, Smith who got the win in region championship, and Carnahan who all started last year to go along with a solid JV team they had so Clay will be no slouch. South has a very talented group of youngsters, but im not sure their quite ready for the "big" run just yet. Corbin like previously stated will go as far as Vorbeck takes them, im not sure if they have much pitching past him. Middlesboro and Harlan County I believe will slug it out again in the district again with Boggs leading the Bears and middlesboros lefties leading them. Knox has arguably the best catcher in the region with Gilbert to lead a young team. The rest of the Region not sure there is much to say.
Thanks for the confirmation dark.. and you are right since Clay is reigning camps they're the team to beat I guess.. But If I had to guess these four teams will make the deepest run in region. ( numbering doesn't matter I'm just listing as I go)

1. Harlan County.
2. North Laurel.
3. Clay Co.( reigning champs)
4. Middlesboro/South Laurel
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Thanks for the confirmation dark.. and you are right since Clay is reigning camps they're the team to beat I guess.. But If I had to guess these four teams will make the deepest run in region. ( numbering doesn't matter I'm just listing as I go)

1. Harlan County.
2. North Laurel.
3. Clay Co.( reigning champs)
4. Middlesboro/South Laurel

Now that I think about it Fan, region could be at Williamsburg, I forgot about them. They are next in line in that district not Corbin. If their field has all the reguirements it will probably be there. If not who knows.
Yea, now that you mention it but who knows.. Hopefully wherever region is they have all the requirements and the field in good condition.
north laurel class of the region harlan co. middlesboro and clay county next group and then south laurel jackson county and barbourville as well as corbin next group. 49th district strongest for 3rd year in a row.
^ No Knox Central? They might be young but they have the coach and probably the region's best catcher to pull in a nice team.

And I think Corbin is ahead of South Laurel, Barbourville, and Jackson Co....they belong with Clay and Middlesboro
thedealer12 Wrote:^ No Knox Central? They might be young but they have the coach and probably the region's best catcher to pull in a nice team.

And I think Corbin is ahead of South Laurel, Barbourville, and Jackson Co....they belong with Clay and Middlesboro

Barbourville and Jackson with no question, but i dont know about them being ahead of SL.
thedealer12 Wrote:^ No Knox Central? They might be young but they have the coach and probably the region's best catcher to pull in a nice team.

Corbin does has Vorbeck, who has the ability to beat any team in the region. While I don't think he will be totally dominant, he is the best pitcher in the region in my opinion. After him I say Smith from Clay and Epperson from Middlesboro. After these two, I say Boggs from HC.
I've seen Vorbeck pitch and honestly the kid is not that great of a pitcher. Yea he's got a lil bit of velocity but that's it. I've not seen smith from Clay pitch. Epperson is behind boggs and in my opinion behind a couple of HC pitchers. Don't get me wrong Epperaon is a good player he's not not that good of a pitcher IMO.
I believe North should be the favorite led by Carson and Storm. With Harlan County, Corbin, and Middlesboro falling right behind them.
1. NL
2. HC
3. Corbin
4. Middlesboro
I believe everyone would agree with you.. And think about this folks the good thing for Harlan County is this season they have the same pitching staff back from last year and they'll have the same staff next year.. That's alot of experience for one pitching staff.. Just something for you guts to ponder about.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I've seen Vorbeck pitch and honestly the kid is not that great of a pitcher. Yea he's got a lil bit of velocity but that's it. I've not seen smith from Clay pitch. Epperson is behind boggs and in my opinion behind a couple of HC pitchers. Don't get me wrong Epperaon is a good player he's not not that good of a pitcher IMO.

I wasnt there, but didnt Vorbeck toss a shutout in region vc HC and Boggs gave up 8 runs? I could be wrong. Boggs is a great player but "On the Mound", ill take Vorbeck and Epperson over him.
Yes. You do have a good point dark, but I just wanna get this across and don't get me wrong epperson is a good player I just think "on the mound" he's not better than Boggs. Just my opinion.. I guess well find out come game time.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Yes. You do have a good point dark, but I just wanna get this across and don't get me wrong epperson is a good player I just think "on the mound" he's not better than Boggs. Just my opinion.. I guess well find out come game time.

Well we all have our opinions and I can understand that you may think that since Epperson didn't pitch against you all last year. That being said, here were his statistics:

3/24 @KC 5.2 IP 2 R 0 ER 1 H 2 BB 6 K 0 W ERA 0
4/8 @B'ville 2.0 IP 2 R 1 ER 2 H 2 BB 3 K 0 W ERA 3.50
4/19 Harlan 2 IP 0 R 0 ER 0 H 1 BB 3 K 0 W ERA 0
4/21 KC 2 IP 1 R 0 ER 1 H 1 BB 4 K 0 W ERA 0
4/26 BC 5.1 IP 3 R 0 ER 2 H 6 BB 8 K 1 W ERA 0
5/17 W'burg 1.1 IP 2 R 0 ER 0 H 0 BB 1 K 0 W ERA 0
5/19 @ Clay Co. 1.2 IP 0 R 0 ER 0 H 0 BB 3 K 0 W ERA 0
5/23 @ BC 7 IP 4 R 0 ER 3 H 1 BB 12 K 1 W ERA 0

TOTAL 32 IP 18 R 1 ER 14 H 19 BB 43 K 2 W ERA 0.22

Sadly for Thomas, he was too important to the defense to put on that mound as often as he should. That will change this coming season though as there will be some depth and options for infielders for MHS.

For Vorbeck, heard from a college scout that clocked him at 92 MPH this summer. I'd say that's more than a "little velocity". He's definitely the top pitcher in the region.
Well. I guess everyone has their opinions and it doesn't matter what we say what matters is come game time the kids prove it.

Vorbeck has velocity, yes. But I highly doubt 92, Id say mid 80's.
I heard he was going to EKU but I could be wrong don't hold it against me.

Those are some decent stats, but I'd like to see how he does against some top contenders away from region. If I'm correct, HC played Ballard in Myrtle Beach ,who comes out of the 7th region which is basically one of the best around and only got beat 10-0 after having already played a game 45 minutes before. IMO, epperson couldn't have handled competition like that.
^^ forgot to say Boggs pitched that game too.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Well. I guess everyone has their opinions and it doesn't matter what we say what matters is come game time the kids prove it.

Vorbeck has velocity, yes. But I highly doubt 92, Id say mid 80's.
I heard he was going to EKU but I could be wrong don't hold it against me.

Those are some decent stats, but I'd like to see how he does against some top contenders away from region. If I'm correct, HC played Ballard in Myrtle Beach ,who comes out of the 7th region which is basically one of the best around and only got beat 10-0 after having already played a game 45 minutes before. IMO, epperson couldn't have handled competition like that.

IMO, a 10-0 loss is never anything to brag about in any shape form or fashion.
Dark wizard he sounds like a little sour grapes! He must not like the hounds and vorbeck, maybe because Vorbeck went yard on boggs with a walk off in the region at middlesboro two tears ago, and last year in the region went back to back bombs at Clay! Just a guess wizard LOL!
I'm not bragging I'm just saying epperson couldn't handle competition like that. And really your gonna make a comment like that? The past is the past. Come season time HC wil put it on Corbin. They're hungry for some payback.
Bam!!
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I'm not bragging I'm just saying epperson couldn't handle competition like that. And really your gonna make a comment like that? The past is the past. Come season time HC wil put it on Corbin. They're hungry for some payback.

Based on the score, doesnt look like Boggs can either.
Its Ballard I highly doubt anyone from around here could. But this thread is about the 13th region and who's gonna win how about we get back on track.
I think North will be the team in the 13th, if there pitching can hold up, I think thats the big question for them.
You're right NL is most definitely the favorite. And I wish them the best I would just like to see Harlan County make a deep run like I know they can.

Also I'm not hating on coach Lewis but after losing two years in a row to Corbin with Boggs on the mound I wonder if he'll try anybody else on the staff to get past first round.