Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: Cubs set to hire Theo Epstein
The Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox are finalizing a deal that would make Theo Epstein the Cubs' president of baseball operations at some point Thursday morning, according to a Major League Baseball source.

A source with knowledge of negotiations said: "The two sides are on the 5-yard line."

A news conference is expected on Friday.

The Red Sox initially asked for Cubs starting pitcher Matt Garza, and at one point proposed the Cubs take pitcher John Lackey's contract as part of the compensation, according to a major league source. Lackey has three seasons remaining on a five-year, $82.5 million contract. He was 12-12 with a 6.41 ERA in 28 starts for the Red Sox in 2011.

But the expected agreement will include Cubs minor leaguers, although not top prospects Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt and Matt Szczur, the source said. Cash will not be part of the compensation.

MLB already has told the Cubs that they can have a news conference on Friday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Two other sources confirmed ESPNChicago.com's report that San Diego Padres general manager Jed Hoyer will be named Cubs GM a few days after Epstein's news conference. But Padres owner Jeff Moorad emailed ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes late Wednesday night that the Cubs had not asked for official permission to interview Hoyer.

Hoyer will be granted permission to leave when San Diego promotes senior vice president of baseball operations Josh Byrnes to vice president-general manager, a source said. Byrnes was GM of the Arizona Diamondbacks when Moorad was part-owner of the Diamondbacks. Sources said Moorad always had wanted Byrnes to return to the job, even though he respected Hoyer, who he hired in 2010.

There will be no compensation for Hoyer, a source said. Moorad and Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts have become friends since the Ricketts family bought the Cubs in October 2009. Ricketts was in San Diego on Sept. 28, which was the last day of the regular season, and did not return with the Cubs on the flight back to Chicago. Ricketts met with Moorad and sat with him, Byrnes and Hoyer during the season finale.

The Ricketts family has a strong relationship with Byrnes' brother through their bond business, and it's been confirmed that Ricketts had some informal conversations with Byrnes as far back as spring training.

Byrnes and Hoyer worked with Epstein in Boston before moving to their next positions. Hoyer took over as Padres GM in 2010 after Kevin Towers was fired.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/i...n-thursday
LOL, this is STILL going on!!! Starts like this are bound to be bad!
the compensation is what took so long to work out. Red Sox wanted Matt Garza and the Cubs said No. Cubs top prospects aren't involved and neither is Cash so I don't know what the Cubs are sending to the Red Sox.

Really can't do anything until the World Series is over. I'm hoping and praying like heck we get Albert Puljos, either him or Prince Fielder, I'd prefer Puljos but I'd take Fielder
Cubs and Red Sox are finalizing the deal. One or more of the Cubs minor leaguers will go to boston. Jed Hoyer (Padres GM) is expected to become the Cubs next GM even tho the Cubs haven't asked for permission to talk to Hoyer. Padres are expected to promote Josh Brynes to GM
The deal is done! Epstein will Join the Cubs and Padres GM Hoyer will follow Epstein to Chicago and become the Cubs General Manager

now the question is what will the Cubs do with Mike Quade? Hopefully they get rid of him and bring someone in that knows what there doing
Padres assistant general manager Jason McLeod will join Hoyer and Epstein in Chicago