Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pulaski 36 - Farnsley 6
BM82 Wrote:The only funny thing is you did not say a thing about the high school's success or lack of success. On a middle school level your best players are 3 years older than ours. You should have won 60-0 right?
Answer this, how do those games go when those kids play people their own age? I will tell 3-7. So enjoy 2011, because the 12 or so wins they got this year will be how many varsity wins they get in four years. LOL at how much pride you have in beating kids that are 2-3 years younger

I didn't say anything about the high school because I haven't seen them play often enough to make a judgement. I do know that they are a very young team as far as guys that contribute consistently. I've personally only followed the middle school level the past couple seasons or so, so I only know the current freshman class well. Those guys aren't at the varsity level yet, not to mention they had a couple of significant season ending injuries with that group. If you'd like more information on the high school team, you should go to the high school forum.

Our 8th graders aren't 3 years older than yours. 14 year olds against 11 year olds? If there were 11 year olds playing an 8th grade game for LC, that's on your coach. Especially if they were 6th or 7th graders. If you were worried so much about the so-called "age difference," you would have stayed at the house. Ya'll didn't drive down here to get beat by 54 in 8th & 42 in 7th, I'll tell you that much.

12 games? 19-0. 33-0 the last 2 seasons with that group. Be prepared to see another Pulaski team take 8th next year also. The D-1 state title game will be played in the regional between Northern & Southern Pulaski, just like it was in 7th this year. Might as well start figuring out some more excuses now. :HitWall:
BM82 Wrote:The only funny thing is you did not say a thing about the high school's success or lack of success. On a middle school level your best players are 3 years older than ours. You should have won 60-0 right?
Answer this, how do those games go when those kids play people their own age? I will tell 3-7. So enjoy 2011, because the 12 or so wins they got this year will be how many varsity wins they get in four years. LOL at how much pride you have in beating kids that are 2-3 years younger

Middle school football is much different today than it was 5 years ago. Parents realize that kids graduating at 17 is not a good thing. Holding them back makes them better athletes, students and keeps them home for another year. N Pulaski, S. Pulaski I guess had some parents who said lets do this and it's worked. I have coached, taught for 28 years and I've heard many many say I wish I had held back. I think 3-4 years from now we can see where these middle teams are. Lex Cath has a great program but to look at their HS team and say none have been held back and probably several didnt even go to Cath Middle school. Coach Letton is a great coach and his 8th grade son is a great player. I could be wrong but I'd be very surprised if he hasnt been held back!
What crazy comments....many imply that they are older during middle school but wait till they play someone their own age in high school? Will everyone eventually become the same age? Why are you looking at Pulaski's current record to compare with current middle school teams? Pulaski is down this year but have performed very well the past few years without a lot of holdbacks. I have 2 kids, one was not a holdback and one is. For the elder, he went through having to compete against kids older and bigger thus not getting the attention he might have been getting now if we had held him back. Most of the kids his age were sophomores when he was a senior and about 6:1. Well he is about 6:5 now and much stronger. I'm sure he would like to have had an extra year but the school didn't allow holding back when he was younger. I didn't hear anyone complaining when the other schools were beating people with their holdbacks. My younger has been held back along with about every other kid his age at his school and surrounding schools. He is a very smart young man so don't imply that they will not have jobs just because they've been held back. He will be eligible this year and every year ahead. There are a lot bigger problems in this world than a kid who has been held back. Move on!
Good luck to each team!!
footballfever Wrote:Whitleys QB was held back in 6th grade and will be 16 before Aug. 1 so he couldnt be an 8th grader.

I should have clarified a little further.
I didnt mean Ysidro.
I was talking about the QB we had when i was in high school.
There is a age limit to compete in the tourney. If there are kids 3-4 years younger than 15 playing in 8th grade when did they start 1st grade 4...5 years old.
Pulaski has just now started holding back kids -this is the first group that has had several on it. Lets see what happens when this group gets to high school. Since you are so informed , go back and look at the group that just came through. they were Region champs 2 years ago and finished runner up in region last year. Pulaski has to take what ever comes to us, we don't go out and recruit like the catholic schools. Give us a call in a few years we might need a game to tune us up .
My question is this what happens to little timmy who is not held back but wants to play football he is in the seventh grade but he never gets a chance to play because you and your buddies have your sons playing seventh grade ball 2 or 3 years in a row plus don't forget the schools are public schools so who pays the bill for your sons to be in the school system a few extra years everybody thats who
I saw a user on here say average the age of his 7th grade south pulaski team was 14yrs and 4months. He said to average out the ages and he sure it wouldnt be more than 6 months difference between regular 7th graders andHoldbacks. Farnsley started a 7th grade 12 yr old at center on their 8th grade not by choice but because that's who they had. I know Coach forever maroon thinks its all his coaching but its the hold backs. I know its legal and anybody who says otherwise is just bitc-ing but 9th graders performance will normally be much greater than true eighth graders. You have a great team of freshman or redshirt eighth graders. Coach Lombardi check the ego at the door. Oh quit bitc-ING about union drawing from 4000 students cause "its legal get over it"
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:My question is this what happens to little timmy who is not held back but wants to play football he is in the seventh grade but he never gets a chance to play because you and your buddies have your sons playing seventh grade ball 2 or 3 years in a row plus don't forget the schools are public schools so who pays the bill for your sons to be in the school system a few extra years everybody thats who

ADA pays the bills in public schools.
I dont see how a kid can be 14 in 7th grade.
It clearly state in the KHSAA bylaws that if a kid turns 19 before Aug 1st of his senior year then he cannot play football.
The way some of you all putting it, some of these kids will almost be 16 when they enter high school, meaning they wont be eligible for there senior year.
IMO, that would kind of defeat the purpose. So if a kid is already 16 going into there freshmen year, they cant play there senior year......
Ive seen it happen with one, only one kid at Whitley.

If someone wants to hold a kid back and they'll still be eligible for there senior year, then theres no rules against that. Go for it.
A 7th grader can turn 14 on August 1st and be eligible as a senior.
Really pathetic to hold a kid back for sports. What happened to education? Statistically what are the odds that these kids are getting a full ride to college? And what happens if god forbid there is an injury?? I really hope for the kids sake this is a decision made for educational purposes.
footballfever Wrote:A 7th grader can turn 14 on August 1st and be eligible as a senior.

That is correct.
That means he will turn 19 on Aug 1st of his senior year.

but if you turn 14 on July 31st, your screwed.
What about the kids the hold back kids are injuring 12 and 14 thats a huge difference at that stage
What is ada?
doughdaddy Wrote:what is ada?
what is ada?
Average Daily Attendance
Holdbacks will always be part of middle school football, anyone who knows anything about football knows several Northern Middle players are getting by because they are older. There is a very big difference in a 12/13 year old and a 14/15 year old. I watched the same Northern Pulaski stars do nothing last year when they played against players their same age (8th last year). Everything will level out in high school, and the true players will show up, enough said.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:What about the kids the hold back kids are injuring 12 and 14 thats a huge difference at that stage

How about a non-holdback 14 year old injuring younger players in the same grade? Is that different because he is not a holdback?
forever maroon Wrote:how about a non-holdback 14 year old injuring younger players in the same grade? Is that different because he is not a holdback?

why not hold them back in high school when there are more oppurtunities in academics, more class choices, more college level classes to be taken,allow me to answer my own question because it is not about education it is about sports.
forever maroon Wrote:how about a non-holdback 14 year old injuring younger players in the same grade? Is that different because he is not a holdback?

how did he get to playing 12 year olds at 14 without being held back hold backs for sports are wrong it is cheating within the rules.yes you can cheat within the rules i think someone needs to contact the pulaski county board of education to find there views on this subject.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:how did he get to playing 12 year olds at 14 without being held back hold backs for sports are wrong it is cheating within the rules.yes you can cheat within the rules i think someone needs to contact the pulaski county board of education to find there views on this subject.
No, if you start your child a year later in the beginning there is no holding back. So, again, then what do you complain about? It's not my fault you want your kid out of the house so soon. Do we need to contact Bell, Whitley, Knox, Harlan, Clay, Laurel, and just about every other county in the state and find their views on this? It has been going on for YEARS everywhere else and now that Pulaski is allowing it, it's the worst thing that could EVER happen to a child.
Forever Maroon Wrote:No, if you start your child a year later in the beginning there is no holding back. So, again, then what do you complain about? It's not my fault you want your kid out of the house so soon. Do we need to contact Bell, Whitley, Knox, Harlan, Clay, Laurel, and just about every other county in the state and find their views on this? It has been going on for YEARS everywhere else and now that Pulaski is allowing it, it's the worst thing that could EVER happen to a child.

pulaski is allowing it ... im not so sure. i believe it is going on without official knowledge. i have written a few letters to pulaski board of education and the news paper in pulaski to see where the school system stands on the issue. i believe you are speaking for people who you dont have permission to speak for. in jefferson county we dont have to let our kids leave home to go to college and we are not afraid to let our kids play with kids their own age.
footballfever Wrote:ADA pays the bills in public schools.

so its tax payers who pay for your childs football dreams
and tax payers who buy your groceries and pay the rent at least when your hold backs need some assiatance with their bills when he is done playing ball you can show him where to stand in line for the free cheese
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:so its tax payers who pay for your childs football dreams
and tax payers who buy your groceries and pay the rent at least when your hold backs need some assiatance with their bills when he is done playing ball you can show him where to stand in line for the free cheese

I buy my groceries, own my home and I held my child back. So you go stand in your own cheese line.
9th Grade is the make or break year for completing high school. 9th graders have the lowest GPA, the most missed classes, the majority of falling grades and the most misbehavior referrals than any other high school grade level. 9th grade also has the highest enrollment of and high school grade, this mainly due th 22% repeat 9th grade.
1 in every 4 college students leave before completing their sophmore year and nearly half of all freshmen will drop out before obtaining a degree.
IMO these things happen because kids/students are not mature enough to handle the pressure put on them. Holding kids back an extra year is good for them academically, socially,emotionally, athletically and for their all around well being.
maroon542 Wrote:Holdbacks will always be part of middle school football, anyone who knows anything about football knows several Northern Middle players are getting by because they are older. There is a very big difference in a 12/13 year old and a 14/15 year old. I watched the same Northern Pulaski stars do nothing last year when they played against players their same age (8th last year). Everything will level out in high school, and the true players will show up, enough said.

Where are you seeing 12 year olds in 8th grade? The difference is 13/14...to 14/15. You act like there is a bunch of 15 year olds playing against 12 year olds in an 8th grade game. If that's the case, that's the opposing teams problem for playing underage kids against LEGAL 8th graders. If you watched the Northern "stars" last year, you didn't see them fail much. The only 2 legitimate losses for the Northern 8th grade team last year was Southern Pulaski & Bell County. Both of which were made up primarily of hold backs. Last years 8th grade was mostly younger than the majority of the teams on our schedule. You're right, everything will level out in high school. Let us know how that works out for you in the next couple years. Guarantee it doesn't work out the way you'd like.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Where are you seeing 12 year olds in 8th grade? The difference is 13/14...to 14/15. You act like there is a bunch of 15 year olds playing against 12 year olds in an 8th grade game. If that's the case, that's the opposing teams problem for playing underage kids against LEGAL 8th graders. If you watched the Northern "stars" last year, you didn't see them fail much. The only 2 legitimate losses for the Northern 8th grade team last year was Southern Pulaski & Bell County. Both of which were made up primarily of hold backs. Last years 8th grade was mostly younger than the majority of the teams on our schedule. You're right, everything will level out in high school. Let us know how that works out for you in the next couple years. Guarantee it doesn't work out the way you'd like.
if schools that allow hold backs were not allowed to compete in the state tournament no one would allow there child to be held back anymore so much for doing for academics it is all about getting an unfair advantage
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:if schools that allow hold backs were not allowed to compete in the state tournament no one would allow there child to be held back anymore so much for doing for academics it is all about getting an unfair advantage

You're not making any sense. You're talking about not being allowed to compete in the state tournament, but you're thinking that this will be fixed if the SCHOOL didn't allow hold backs? That's a KYMSFA issue, not a school issue. If a middle school banned hold backs, parents would just start the process a year or 2 earlier in 5th grade or so. Your problem won't ever be fixed. It is not strictly to benefit athletics. I've seen students that have C's in the classroom, get held back and keep A's the following year and beyond. Do you think those parents/students regret it? It helps you in the classroom just as much, if not more. I'd be willing to bet the house that the grades of hold back students are better than those who didn't.

The true definition of a hold back? Not allowing it to be done. Or making an athlete sit out for a season because of it. THAT'S what truly holds children back from success.
I just moved here but what I'm trying to say is when these players were 7th grade last year and should have been 8th grade they could not compete against last years 8th graders. I do remember they had a really good back in 8th but these other players were not a threat. My point is when they play against teams their oun age we see these players struggle. As I remember without their big running back last year they had no weapons.