Poll: Who walks out of Putnam Stadium with the victory?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CovCath Colonels
50.00%
Ashland Tomcats
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic Colonels at Ashland Paul Blazer Tomcats
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Believe me putnam stadium makes a difference not to many high school stadiums seat 4,000 plus with the fans right on top of you. A lot of strange things have happened in this old palace.

The stadium will not make a difference in this game. Teams like Cov Cath, Highlands, X, Trinity, ect, are used to playing big games on the road. Cov Cath won big today, and people are actting like the were lucky to win. I did not see the game today but sounds like CCH might of had a bad first half, or better coaching made good half time adjustments. Either way they won big. I look for Cov Cath to cont to roll on in the playoffs.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:Ashland will pull through with the victory. Cov Caths qb is not very good and when Ashland bottles up the run game, Cov Cath will be in trouble.

Ashland 14
Cov Cath 10

Really? Have you seen CCH play? Bir is no Towles, but is a very capable QB. Very good on short passing game and OK with the medium pass. To say he is not very good is inaccurate IMO.
birdman44 Wrote:what is the history between covcath and ashland?

I'd say Covcath owns them if they've ever played.
Covcath website shows them 9 and 5 alltime against Ashland. Also 1 and 0 alltime against ROWEN Co. not Rowan. Rowen. Lots of misspelled teams on their website.
Rootin for the Tomcats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Colonels beat kittens 28-22.
#2 Cov Cath 27
#1 Ashland 14
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:Ashland will pull through with the victory. Cov Caths qb is not very good and when Ashland bottles up the run game, Cov Cath will be in trouble.

Ashland 14
Cov Cath 10

If you are basing your assessment of CovCath's QB on his performance yesterday, I can understand why you think he's not very good. I wasn't there, but I was told that Bir struggled. But, if what I was told is accurate, it was an anomaly. He's actually a very fine QB. Hasn't shown the ability to threw the ball deep, but generally is very accurate on short and medium passes. CovCath has a pretty darn good running game. When Bir passes off of play action fakes, the passing game works well.

Not having seen Ashland this year, I have no clue who will win. If Ashland has speed on defense, they will need it. CovCath likes to move the ball around and widen the field, forcing defenders to run sideline to sideline. Do the Tomcats play many players both ways? CovCath does not. I understand Rowen did. That may have played a role in the second half yesterday. If Ashland has 4, 5 or more players playing both ways, it could be a factor in the second half this Friday night.

Any one know what Sam Hunter is doing next year? Nice player and as a 4 year starter at QB, he certainly has a ton of experience.

Best of luck to both squads.
I think that this is the year the Ashland finally returns to the regional finals. I am picking Ashland by a single score, whether it is a touchdown or a late field goal.

Whoever said that Covington Catholic's quarterback is not very good did not see him play against Johnson Central last season. Bir is not Towles but he is a very good high school quarterback. Maybe he had a sub-par day against Rowan County, but don't expect him to have back to back bad games in the playoffs. The key to beating CovCath is to contain Bir. If the Tomcats do that, then CovCath's running game will not be a factor, IMO.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If the Colonels have a very good rushing game, then they should have employed it against Rowan County in the first half. Both Ashland and Johnson Central put away RC early in the first half. I have been telling people all year that Ashland is much better than the credit most folks in NKY are giving them and the quality of their competition has also been much better than you seem to believe.

I know that Covington Catholic has improved since last season but if they mount the same kind of effort in Ashland next week in the first half as they did against Rowan County, they may find themselves too far behind to come back against the Tomcats.

Ashland was only up by 1td at the end of 3rd qtr against Rowan (which is the correct spelling) than special teams fell apart. I was there. :please: get your facts straight. JC ran all over Rowan.
The qb threw 2 interceptions right to the dbs and would have thrown 4 if the other two weren't dropped. When Rowan lined up and hit them in the mouth they backed off and it showed when the score at half was 7-7. Ashland is a very physical team and from the games i've seen of them, there's always a lot of big hits by Ashland. Don't count them out just because they're from eastern ky, because they held Jude to under 100 yards which is something I don't think Cov Cath OR Highlands has done.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If the Colonels have a very good rushing game, then they should have employed it against Rowan County in the first half. Both Ashland and Johnson Central put away RC early in the first half. I have been telling people all year that Ashland is much better than the credit most folks in NKY are giving them and the quality of their competition has also been much better than you seem to believe.

I know that Covington Catholic has improved since last season but if they mount the same kind of effort in Ashland next week in the first half as they did against Rowan County, they may find themselves too far behind to come back against the Tomcats.

Maybe CCH should have come out running the ball more instead of passing? Maybe Rowan is a better pass D than running D? But the thing is, CCH decided to pass in first half and did not have much success. They are a good, balanced offensive team with a good coaching staff. They made adjustments at half, and came out and easily proved they were the better team. Yes the game was 7-7 at the half, but that does not mean CCH was not clearly the better team.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:The qb threw 2 interceptions right to the dbs and would have thrown 4 if the other two weren't dropped. When Rowan lined up and hit them in the mouth they backed off and it showed when the score at half was 7-7. Ashland is a very physical team and from the games i've seen of them, there's always a lot of big hits by Ashland. Don't count them out just because they're from eastern ky, because they held Jude to under 100 yards which is something I don't think Cov Cath OR Highlands has done.

vs Highlands last year: 103 yards, one touchdown, on 26 carries," (3.96 per carry)

vs CovCath last year: 439 yards, five touchdowns, on 37 carries (11.86 per carry)

vs Ashland this year: 81 yards, no touchdowns, on 18 carries (4.5 per carry)
All of these Ashland fans or people leaning towards Ashland honestly believe that they are THE #1 team coming out of their district. I say if Rowan were healthy against JC and Ashland, they come out as the #1 seed, not #3. They were missing their key running back (who ran for a great amount of yards, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard around 1,300) and their best receiver (about 600 receiving yards in 5 games). They played against CCH and it showed that they were a huge help to Rowan. This may start off slow again for Cov Cath, maybe not. All I believe is that Ashland you better get that gym floor waxed and get the rims netted. Basketball season starts next Saturday.

Cov Cath wins 42-14
I have seen both teams up close this year.

My breakdown.

Team Speed even Both teams are fast, No advantage either way

Offense even Cov Cath. running game is good, but Ashland's
Dline will even that out.
Offense Passing even Niether team will have an advantage

Defense + Ashland I feel that Ashland is just a
little harder.
Coaching even

My prediction Ashland +7

Home field advantage and Ashland's Defense will win a close game. If Ashland makes any mistakes, Cov Cath. will turn it into points, but if Ashland plays a soild game, they will win.
I forgot to mention, Rowan came up to Cov Cath's field with the dirtiest talking players I've seen. I was on the sidelines and all I hear the entire game is "You m***** f****** Catholics! VERY poor sportsmanship.
I'd love to see Cov. Cath. have a bad game and lose to Ashland, though I don't believe this will happen. It would be great to see the Birds beat two EKY teams in a row, on the way to #21. I love to hear the "they cheated","the ref's calls did it", and other smashmouth comedy.Confusednicker: Sorry folks, I cain't hep it!Confusednicker:
Ashland IMO has been under ranked all year. Ashland is the real deal, I'm going with Ashland by 1 TD on this one.
No one can ever know the magic and excitement until they actually live it. You can't explain it. You have to feel it. Go TOMCATS
nkyfootball81 Wrote:All of these Ashland fans or people leaning towards Ashland honestly believe that they are THE #1 team coming out of their district. I say if Rowan were healthy against JC and Ashland, they come out as the #1 seed, not #3. They were missing their key running back (who ran for a great amount of yards, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard around 1,300) and their best receiver (about 600 receiving yards in 5 games). They played against CCH and it showed that they were a huge help to Rowan. This may start off slow again for Cov Cath, maybe not. All I believe is that Ashland you better get that gym floor waxed and get the rims netted. Basketball season starts next Saturday.

Cov Cath wins 42-14

I believe Rowan had everyone against JC. Not sure where you got your info.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:All of these Ashland fans or people leaning towards Ashland honestly believe that they are THE #1 team coming out of their district. I say if Rowan were healthy against JC and Ashland, they come out as the #1 seed, not #3. They were missing their key running back (who ran for a great amount of yards, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard around 1,300) and their best receiver (about 600 receiving yards in 5 games). They played against CCH and it showed that they were a huge help to Rowan. This may start off slow again for Cov Cath, maybe not. All I believe is that Ashland you better get that gym floor waxed and get the rims netted. Basketball season starts next Saturday.

Cov Cath wins 42-14
I am by no means an Ashland fan but I can assure you that there is noway that Rowan is anywhere close to the team that Ashland is. I don't knpw why the Ashland Rowan game was so close in the third but Ashland is clearly a much better. If Ashland can contain the Cov Cath passing game they have a good shot. Johnson central had recivers wide open on two or three occasions that the QB missed badly. Cov Cath will be much better than JC in the passing game. When Rowan played JC they were terrible and all there players were supposed to be back by then. Our district was just like the northern district in the fact that there were two clear cut teams above the others. Rowan was a very distant third. The Ashland JC score should have been much closer had JC hit a couple of those passes and not put the ball on the ground 5 times. That being said Ashland was the better team that night, and as unlikely as it is I would love to see an Ashland JC rematch.
No one can ever know the magic and excitement of Putnam Stadium unless you have lived it. There are no words to explain the mystic feelings that you feel when the team makes it appearance on the field when all the angelic emotions engulf your being "It's Friday Nite." It is a feeling of not only the stadium seats are filled with loyal fans. The sky and clouds over you are filled with fans who have gone on. The Tomcat Spirit is a Tradition and once a Tomcat always a Tomcat even into eternity.
kmartcouple Wrote:No one can ever know the magic and excitement of Putnam Stadium unless you have lived it. There are no words to explain the mystic feelings that you feel when the team makes it appearance on the field when all the angelic emotions engulf your being "It's Friday Nite." It is a feeling of not only the stadium seats are filled with loyal fans. The sky and clouds over you are filled with fans who have gone on. The Tomcat Spirit is a Tradition and once a Tomcat always a Tomcat even into eternity.

No stadium will intimidate a team like CovCath. They have played much more intimidating teams in much more intimidating stadiums.

Cov Cath wins 42-14

Actually Williamson played against Ashland until almost the 4th quarter. But he didn't do much in the first three. and im pretty sure they both played against jc
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:I am by no means an Ashland fan but I can assure you that there is noway that Rowan is anywhere close to the team that Ashland is. I don't knpw why the Ashland Rowan game was so close in the third but Ashland is clearly a much better. If Ashland can contain the Cov Cath passing game they have a good shot. Johnson central had recivers wide open on two or three occasions that the QB missed badly. Cov Cath will be much better than JC in the passing game. When Rowan played JC they were terrible and all there players were supposed to be back by then. Our district was just like the northern district in the fact that there were two clear cut teams above the others. Rowan was a very distant third. The Ashland JC score should have been much closer had JC hit a couple of those passes and not put the ball on the ground 5 times. That being said Ashland was the better team that night, and as unlikely as it is I would love to see an Ashland JC rematch.

The main reason the score was do close was field conditions. Coach hart kept the ball on the ground cause our receivers and qb couldn't hang onto it in the passing game it was so wet and muddy.
kmartcouple Wrote:No one can ever know the magic and excitement of Putnam Stadium unless you have lived it. There are no words to explain the mystic feelings that you feel when the team makes it appearance on the field when all the angelic emotions engulf your being "It's Friday Nite." It is a feeling of not only the stadium seats are filled with loyal fans. The sky and clouds over you are filled with fans who have gone on. The Tomcat Spirit is a Tradition and once a Tomcat always a Tomcat even into eternity.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:I forgot to mention, Rowan came up to Cov Cath's field with the dirtiest talking players I've seen. I was on the sidelines and all I hear the entire game is "You m***** f****** Catholics! VERY poor sportsmanship.

Wow sounds kinda like Harrison on friday. Idk why some of these coaches let stuff like this go on. the good programs like Highlands Cov Cath JC And Ashland build character and respect into their kids and it translates onto the football field. no program will ever be consistently good allowing players to act like this

Ashland 14
Cov Cath 10

Not by a long shot. This is one of the better CovCath passing teams in recent history. Bir can and will air it out if Ashland allows him to do so.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:I forgot to mention, Rowan came up to Cov Cath's field with the dirtiest talking players I've seen. I was on the sidelines and all I hear the entire game is "You m***** f****** Catholics! VERY poor sportsmanship.

Really, I was told is was shocking to some of our kids to to hear you coach scream during the game.. G.. D... Rowan played with great sportsmanship,
you might consider getting off the opponets sidelines if you are to soft to hear a few bad words.:worthy:

I think it is unethecial to make such a report public. You should not be allowed on the sidelines if you are going to repeat what goes on and is said, period. A team has the right to some privacy on their sidelines. If the Line Judge does not hear it, then you were ease dropping on players.

Your post is wrong and you have no honor
I mentioned yesterday the KHSAA listed the game at Covington Catholic but this morning they have it corrected and show it is at Ashland and they also changed it from 1:00 P.M. Saturday to a Friday night game.
Good Luck to Ashland and all mountain teams still playing.