Poll: Who walks out of Putnam Stadium with the victory?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CovCath Colonels
50.00%
Ashland Tomcats
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic Colonels at Ashland Paul Blazer Tomcats
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Wow sounds kinda like Harrison on friday. Idk why some of these coaches let stuff like this go on. the good programs like Highlands Cov Cath JC And Ashland build character and respect into their kids and it translates onto the football field. no program will ever be consistently good allowing players to act like this

I was at the Ashland/Rowan game and there is no way that you can say Ashland has good sportsmanship. The qb taunted RC's defense and pointed at the scoreboard after getting his bell rung, #80 was cussing and taking cheap shots at players and before the game a group of players were cussing at RC.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:I was at the Ashland/Rowan game and there is no way that you can say Ashland has good sportsmanship. The qb taunted RC's defense and pointed at the scoreboard after getting his bell rung, #80 was cussing and taking cheap shots at players and before the game a group of players were cussing at RC.

If he got his bell rung how did he point at the scoreboard? The only incident I've seen from Ashland wad at the end of the belfry game and the coaches handled it. I'm sure an apology was made to coach haywood and the player held accountable.
CCH wins 28-21 and sets up the rematch of HHS and CCH.
Cov Cath 31-24.
CovCath cruises, don't care how many "good ole boys" talk this one up. Seen CovCath play twice. There O-line will dominate and G. Gray will run wild.

This is the perfect song for a football game
As is almost always the case, CovCath is superior to Ashland. Ashland's only chance is that they are playing on their own field. On any other field, CovCath by four touchdowns. At Ashland, CovCath by ten points.
Just a question guys the qb from cov cath reminds me of dustin grutza from mason county a few years ago. Does anyone else see this or am I just crazy
Truth Wrote:As is almost always the case, CovCath is superior to Ashland. Ashland's only chance is that they are playing on their own field. On any other field, CovCath by four touchdowns. At Ashland, CovCath by ten points.

I would agree that prob 8 out of ten times cov cath would be superior. However this is a pretty special Ashland Team. The way I see it is that each team has one significant advantage over the other. For cov cath they go as the qb does and he's very good for Ashland I feel our d-line can get pressure and play in catholic's backfield. So if cov cath givesthe qb time to throw or run they prob win. If Ashland D can get pressure and force turnovers the tomcats are going to the regional final.
Ashland
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I would agree that prob 8 out of ten times cov cath would be superior. However this is a pretty special Ashland Team. The way I see it is that each team has one significant advantage over the other. For cov cath they go as the qb does and he's very good for Ashland I feel our d-line can get pressure and play in catholic's backfield. So if cov cath givesthe qb time to throw or run they prob win. If Ashland D can get pressure and force turnovers the tomcats are going to the regional final.

Good analysis. Still, your only hope is that you are at home. And going to the regional finals against FTH at Fort Thomas is a recipe for disaster. This may be a "special" Ashland team but that is by Ashland standards.
Covington Cathoic 38-14.
Cov. Cath by 3 td's.

I would like to see Ashland win, but I don't think it will happen.
goodluck ashland, from a pirate fan
Clinton stich Wrote:Really, I was told is was shocking to some of our kids to to hear you coach scream during the game.. G.. D... Rowan played with great sportsmanship,
you might consider getting off the opponets sidelines if you are to soft to hear a few bad words.:worthy:

I think it is unethecial to make such a report public. You should not be allowed on the sidelines if you are going to repeat what goes on and is said, period. A team has the right to some privacy on their sidelines. If the Line Judge does not hear it, then you were ease dropping on players.

Your post is wrong and you have no honor

Interesting, considering this was coming from on the field and I was on Cov Cath's sidelines. You need to get your facts straight before you come in accusing me of what I said. With what you said coming out of nowhere and being completely false, your comment towards me is absolutely pathetic. #23 was bad mouthing #18 (McDowell) and #20 (Cleves) the entire game. McDowell shut #23 up after he drove him into the ground for the second consecutive play, but he still had some stuff to say to the other players.

Disrespecting one's religion is absolutely uncalled for and should be taken care of immediately on the field. If the KHSAA is going to ban stick on eye black due to certain messages being written on them, then they need to take immediate control of what is SAID on the field as well.

My post is indeed correct and I most definitely have honor. :rockon:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I would agree that prob 8 out of ten times cov cath would be superior. However this is a pretty special Ashland Team. The way I see it is that each team has one significant advantage over the other. For cov cath they go as the qb does and he's very good for Ashland I feel our d-line can get pressure and play in catholic's backfield. So if cov cath givesthe qb time to throw or run they prob win. If Ashland D can get pressure and force turnovers the tomcats are going to the regional final.

And you don't think that this year is special for Cov Cath? This is the BEST RECORD in 18 years that they have had. You honestly think that Ashland's D-line will put THAT much pressure on Bir? You're talking about quite possibly the second best O-line in the state of Kentucky (Trinity's being the first). I believe that Ashland may key Gray and shut him out but if that happens, Bir spreads ball around to his receivers who are all 3 year lettermen and have all started for at least 2 years. Ashland's D won't stop Cov Cath from scoring 28 or less. No one in Kentucky has besides Boone Co. on a horrible field that didn't allow the passing game for either team.
Cant wait til Friday in Putnam stadium! I think Cov Cath is gonna come into this game thinking they will run over Ashland, this D will not have any of that. And an over confident catholic will spell L O S S for the colonels.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Cant wait til Friday in Putnam stadium! I think Cov Cath is gonna come into this game thinking they will run over Ashland, this D will not have any of that. And an over confident catholic will spell L O S S for the colonels.

Do you really think teams like Cov Cath come in to a game like this over confident and unprepared? If that is what you are betting the win on, you are in big trouble.
sstack Wrote:Do you really think teams like Cov Cath come in to a game like this over confident and unprepared? If that is what you are betting the win on, you are in big trouble.

It's an Ashland fan. Expected to hear that from them. One question that I have is this, Cov Cath destroyed Ashland last year. I mean absolutely slaughtered. And Cov Cath's Offense and Defense are much better than last year. Did Ashland get THAT much better between last year and this year? I don't see how that is possible. Anyone have explanations other than Ashland fans saying this year is "special"?
sstack Wrote:Do you really think teams like Cov Cath come in to a game like this over confident and unprepared? If that is what you are betting the win on, you are in big trouble.

Yes, I do. Teams like Cov Cath teams like highlands teams like whoever doesnt matter the bottom line is they are all kids, they most likely think like alot of you guys on here do that ashland doesnt have much of a shot? While Im not betting on them being over confident as a way for ashland to win this. I do believe it can an may be a factor. Will see Friday?
This Ashland team is not special. They are good, very good, but not one of those once a generation teams. The last "special" team the kittens had was 1990 and this group doesn't compare.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:And you don't think that this year is special for Cov Cath? This is the BEST RECORD in 18 years that they have had. You honestly think that Ashland's D-line will put THAT much pressure on Bir? You're talking about quite possibly the second best O-line in the state of Kentucky (Trinity's being the first). I believe that Ashland may key Gray and shut him out but if that happens, Bir spreads ball around to his receivers who are all 3 year lettermen and have all started for at least 2 years. Ashland's D won't stop Cov Cath from scoring 28 or less. No one in Kentucky has besides Boone Co. on a horrible field that didn't allow the passing game for either team.

I do believe Ashland defense is not than capable. George Washington came into putnam a week after scoring 60 plus points. They had the best fb I have ever seen and a running back being recruited by FSU,WVU, And Penn state. They left with only 18 points and a narrow victory. Now does cov cath have that kind of D-1 talent?
That was supposed to say more than capable. This stupid predictive text
nkyfootball81 Wrote:And you don't think that this year is special for Cov Cath? This is the BEST RECORD in 18 years that they have had. You honestly think that Ashland's D-line will put THAT much pressure on Bir? You're talking about quite possibly the second best O-line in the state of Kentucky (Trinity's being the first). I believe that Ashland may key Gray and shut him out but if that happens, Bir spreads ball around to his receivers who are all 3 year lettermen and have all started for at least 2 years. Ashland's D won't stop Cov Cath from scoring 28 or less. No one in Kentucky has besides Boone Co. on a horrible field that didn't allow the passing game for either team.

I love CovCath's return to relevance and believe they will win against Ashland, but let's not carried away about the O line. They're better, perhaps even much better than recent years. But Highlands gained 287 yds rushing on 34 attempts and CovCath had 221 yds rushing on 47 attempts.
[quote=nkyfootball81]It's an Ashland fan. Expected to hear that from them. One question that I have is this, Cov Cath destroyed Ashland last year. I mean absolutely slaughtered. And Cov Cath's Offense and Defense are much better than last year. Did Ashland get THAT much better between last year and this year? I don't see how that is possible. Anyone have explanations other than Ashland fans saying this year is "special

Defense has been a force all year long giving up somewhere around 11 points a game on average. Against some very good teams an a few not so good teams but every team plays some of those type teams so thats a wash for most an yes even catholic an highlands. Defense will be the difference in this game just like it has been all year. The front 4 guys for the tomcats have been unstoppable all season. Obrien an gregg d-ends are hard to handle for everyone we've played. Should be a great game!
FBALL Wrote:This Ashland team is not special. They are good, very good, but not one of those once a generation teams. The last "special" team the kittens had was 1990 and this group doesn't compare.

Yes they absolutely compare just in different ways, the 1990 team had there strengths 2 big brusing backs an one with great speed an moves. This team definitely has there's. The Passing game is the best Ashland has ever had been steady for last several years, defense is one of the best I've ever seen at Ashland, bar none! This team is the most "balanced" An overall fastest team I can remember ashland putting on the field, "even the 90 team".
charlie22 Wrote:I love CovCath's return to relevance and believe they will win against Ashland, but let's not carried away about the O line. They're better, perhaps even much better than recent years. But Highlands gained 287 yds rushing on 34 attempts and CovCath had 221 yds rushing on 47 attempts.

Towles ran for over 150 of those yards off of broken pass plays. If you take those out, Highlands rushes maybe 100 yards on 30 something attempts.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:It's an Ashland fan. Expected to hear that from them. One question that I have is this, Cov Cath destroyed Ashland last year. I mean absolutely slaughtered. And Cov Cath's Offense and Defense are much better than last year. Did Ashland get THAT much better between last year and this year? I don't see how that is possible. Anyone have explanations other than Ashland fans saying this year is "special"?

A lot of players were hurt for Ashland last year. Ashland was fading as a result. This year's line is injury free as of right now, knock on wood, it's hard to handle a team like Cov Cath with a depleted line on both sides of the ball.
:problem:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Yes they absolutely compare just in different ways, the 1990 team had there strengths 2 big brusing backs an one with great speed an moves. This team definitely has there's. The Passing game is the best Ashland has ever had been steady for last several years, defense is one of the best I've ever seen at Ashland, bar none! This team is the most "balanced" An overall fastest team I can remember ashland putting on the field, "even the 90 team".

The defense is very good. Very quick and fly to the ball. They do have great offensive balance. Good RB and good receivers. The 90 team just imposed their will. This group isn't that. They are very good.
gapman Wrote:A lot of players were hurt for Ashland last year. Ashland was fading as a result. This year's line is injury free as of right now, knock on wood, it's hard to handle a team like Cov Cath with a depleted line on both sides of the ball.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah that would definitely make a difference having an injury free line. But do they have the athleticism to keep up with Cov Cath? Is their secondary any good? Because they can key Gray all they want but then you have the second dimension of the game, passing. Bir can air it out, as we've seen him break Cov Cath's school record for most passing yards in a single game. Their offense broke the record for the most points scored in a single season as well. I believe that if Ashland can hold Cov Cath under 28 points then this will be a ball game. If not, well then they don't stand a chance.