Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dsl
I want DSL and I can get it for not much more than what dial-up is costing me, the only thing is the people said something about having to have a network interface card which hooks my computer to the DSL modem... how do I tell if my computer has one? I'm hoping I already have one so I don't have to pay 85 bucks to get one.
I think Reizvoll covered this issue with you. :Thumbs:
Most all computers come standard with a network/ethernet card.. They look simlar to a modem except they only have one place for input and are slightly bigger than a standard phone plug.
THe best way to check if you have one is to..(if your not sure what your looking for that is) is too

Right Click "My computer"
Goto "properties"
then click "hardware" tab
then click on "device manager "

scroll down and see if you see network adaptors..you can hit the + sign next to network adaptors and it will display the brand of your network adaptor.
I did the thing you said about clicking on my computer and it only says original configuration...lol... I have 2 phone plugs but they look to be the same size.

Reiz did cover it with me and he was a big help and helped me find a NIC for 10 bucks on the wal mart website.
Yeah we figured out that she just had a dial up modem.

Her computer is an older one, it has Windows 98 on it and didn't come with a NIC card. Her two ports are for the internet line and the extra phone line thing.

Basicly with your setup DTfan, the wall line for your dsl is going into your modem, and then the modem is going to have an ethernet cable running into your computer.

Contact me anytime on MSN if you want to ask questions.
I know the computer she has, use a USB port on it and it will work....It's been done
Just_A_Fan how are you sure??? My harddrive is an old Gateway but my monitor is an HP...lol I know monitors doesn't have anything to do with it but still...lol....so if it could be done using a USB plug what equipment would I have to have?
It can be done by USB, they provide a USB cable to use, but I use Ethernet into a NIC card for networking
DTfan, if you go the USB way, your computer would just have to have one a usb plug-in, front or back of your computer, and you might need the drivers since you are running Win98.

All this should be given to you upon installation.
I might check into that...hopefully mom will let me get it. Dial up just isn't fun anymore.
IF you are a gamer, or use the internet frequently, dial up is not the thing to go for

Cable/DSL or up is awsome.
Dial up never was fun. Cable is only faster if it's not crowded, like the first day I got cable no one else around here had it I was downloading nearly 5000 kb per second. Now that it's all crowded I'm lucky to get 3000! Sad
Just let Cats Fan do it for you DT ...lol