Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Tubby's recruiting at Kentucky sub-standard
Do you think Tubby Smith's recruiting at Kentucky is sub-par for Wildcat standards?
OK who beat me to moving it? LOL

Not sure you can say that it's sub-par look at the rankings of last years and next years class doesn't mean they turn out to be that good but doesn't mean it's totally his fault either. I can see both sides of this question.
Where is Pat Riley?
Miami
How long will UK Sports program endure this kind of recruiting? what is Tubby's problem?
I think either his recruiting his sub-par, he recruits players who don't fit his system, he recruits overhyped players, and/or he doesn't coach them to their most potential. I can't really put a finger on any certain aspect, but there is certainly a problem somewhere. It could just be a combination of a little bit of everything that has finally started to catch up with him.
yes. the players he brings in never pan out like they are projected too.
I don't know what's going on, because last year's freshman class was supposed to be one of the best, but look at them now. I think we're just having some terrible luck.
"dawgvoice61" Wrote:Do you think Tubby Smith's recruiting at Kentucky is sub-par for Wildcat standards?

This should answer your question whether UK recruiting is sub-par....

[Image: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Cro.../Bears.jpg]
He likes for his recruits to stay all four years, and to buy in to his defensive policy...I think his recruits fit his style well...Everyone dogs on Crawford but night in and night out he's always playing good D...same with Rondo...these guys have a potential to score and most of them are still young and they will end up finding their niche in Tubby's system..and the offense is coming around so look out for these sub-par recruits come tourney time
i am tired of hearin Tubby's style........... YOU CANT WIN IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL SCORING 50 - 60 A GAME........ yes i know before i get hated on someone is goin to say we get 20 wins a year........... BIG WHOOP. the teams that make final fours and win the championships have double figure scores and their teams score big numbers.

you can play good D but if a team is on a cant miss night then you better be able to score as well otherwise you are goin to lose. UK's problem for the last few years.
"Vincent Vega" Wrote:i am tired of hearin Tubby's style........... YOU CANT WIN IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL SCORING 50 - 60 A GAME........ yes i know before i get hated on someone is goin to say we get 20 wins a year........... BIG WHOOP. the teams that make final fours and win the championships have double figure scores and their teams score big numbers.

you can play good D but if a team is on a cant miss night then you better be able to score as well otherwise you are goin to lose. UK's problem for the last few years.

Wrong time to make this post. i mean we just beat a time by scoring 80 points to their 40 less then 3 hours ago. bad timing my man.
Well let's see how they do in the next 3 games against LSU. Tennesee and Florida....... We will see.......................................................
"corndog23" Wrote:Wrong time to make this post. i mean we just beat a time by scoring 80 points to their 40 less then 3 hours ago. bad timing my man.
dont matter if it is bad timing or not. we just beat the worst team in the SEC (known for it's top to bottom b-ball powerhouses) plus they didnt have one of their best players playing. When was the last time we scored over 100??? this thread was about his recruits and i commented on them and his "style" of coaching. I would rather he quit looking for the players to stya four years and buy into his style and start gettin the studs who can flat out play, win a championship, then leave for the NBA. next year repeat process. big name players will go to programs that are very successful in the Big Dance. who cares if they stay 4 years as long as we are winning.
Tubby is a hit-miss recruiter..Some years he does great, and others he does some bonehead moves...I'll never understand the Shagari and Obrzut deal coming in together, but the class with Rondo, Bradley, Crawford, and Morris was ridiculously sick...It's way too early to throw in the towel on these guys just yet..They each have two more years after this(maybe with the exception of Rondo)....

Adam Williams was a questionable move, but I really think Jarred Carter with some serious training and getting stronger could be a force down-low...He has some really nice moves down there, but just needs to be stronger, and work on his hands, because he is a smart player and could contribute down the road...

As for next years class I think MANY people are going to be surprised at how good these guys actually are...Meeks, Jasper, and Stevenson are all monster four star recruits which not only brings offense to the table but defense as well...Meeks is a smart kid and can't wait to get in the blue and white and lead Kentucky to a Final Four...Tubby is working hard on Phil Jones & Tyler Smith, meaning that he knows two guys aren't coming back next year(probably Rondo, and Williams is transferring..Word has it that Shagari is out after this season too) Jones is 6'10, 260 lb monster down low who is a three star recruit now and being pursued hard by UCONN as well as UK...A lot of people compare him to Marquis Estill..Tyer Smith is just an all around beast...6'7 SF/SG with some great moves, and is now ranked as a high 4 star recruit in next years class...We land those two guys and Kentucky has at least a top 8 class for next season with a lot of diversity of players coming in...

Jodie Meeks
Derrik Jasper
Perry Stevenson
Michael Porter
Phil Jones
Tyler Smith

That would be quite a bit better than sub-standard...
He recruits kids that fit his style, not the players that are ranked high on everyone's list. So I think he does ok as far as recruiting, but the results better pick up in a year or two because we expect more than a "middle-of-the-road" team at UK.
I keep hearing how we don't stand for sub-par and this and that and UK is so terrible and Tubby stinks and we're not going to stand for it. OK if you want him gone its real easy and I'll tell you how to do it.

1. STOP WATCHING AND LISTENING
2. STOP BUYING UK BASKETBALL AND FOR THAT MATTER FOOTBALL MERCHANDISE
3. STOP GOING TO THE GAMES (NOW THAT WILL GET THE ATTENTION)

NOW

Last time I checked more channels than ever are covering UK games so that doesn't appear to be hurt by UK's terrible teams. Still pretty sure they're in the top 5 of College Merchandise sold. And I know they're still selling out the games and will be in the top two in attendance and probably number 1 again since Syracuse has been sub-par also.

So go ahead if there is so many that want him gone you should be able to make a dent in all three of these areas. Heck I bet they don't even have 5,000 at the Florida game.

LMAO
CatDawg i just dont like the way he recruits or his style offense. I never said i want him gone. Wins are wins i dont care who is coaching as long as they get it done.

Alfus i agree not to throw the towel in on Rondo's class yet but lets be real.. none have lived up to the hype that was surrounding them coming into UK.. and yes next year's class is supposed to be good as well but they are not held to the same reguard that Rondo's class was. Least that is what sportscasters on ESPN and CBS have said. I would love to see them come in and the entire team come together and play good basketball.
Tubby's recruiting is definatley sub standard to what we are accustom to. I think we need to get back the bluegrass blue collar movement. This is why the wildcats can't play as a team they are recruiting from the inner city where the players are all about themselves and the last time I checked there is not an I in TEAM.
"mister T" Wrote:Tubby's recruiting is definatley sub standard to what we are accustom to. I think we need to get back the bluegrass blue collar movement. This is why the wildcats can't play as a team they are recruiting from the inner city where the players are all about themselves and the last time I checked there is not an I in TEAM.

You recruit a bunch of Kentucky boys, and UK will have a team that can't even compete with Morehead or EKU..
1991 anyone? should have been champs that year. Laetner and his stomp. We've had plenty of great kentucky boys since then. I'm not saying we should recruit all kentucky boys but have a few players from kentucky wouldn't hurt. I think it would help unity and after all isn't that what the primary problem has been?
Do you not realize how many Kentucky boys he has on this team?
"mister T" Wrote:1991 anyone? should have been champs that year. Laetner and his stomp. We've had plenty of great kentucky boys since then. I'm not saying we should recruit all kentucky boys but have a few players from kentucky wouldn't hurt. I think it would help unity and after all isn't that what the primary problem has been?

Dude you're cracking me up Smile...It has nothing do with the players being Kentucky boys or not...That's such a huge misconception that you have, and you need to be getting over it real quick...If Tubby adds more Kentucky boys to the team then all you're going to here is bitching from the fans about how he should have went out and got blue chips..
no we dont need more KY boys. only if they are the top blue chip players should we get them.