Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best players 8th grade in state?
newredhound Wrote:You can form your own opinion on some of the best 8th grade players in the state this saturday in corbin, ky. This tournament consist of 5 teams, double elimination format. Teams included are louisa, wayne county ( has mentioned some of their players already ) cumberland, garrard county, and rosspoint. Should be some excellent basektball action this weekend. Travel to corbin at the new primary school basketball gym and watch this fantatic tournament with great players.

There were some really nice players at this event.
The top player was Corey Stearns from Wayne.
KGB 28 Wrote:I agree! Most of these lists and rankings come from a regional perspective, which is fine, but not a reflection of the whole state. Add that with the varying use of middle school kids in high school. Some schools don't let kids "move up", so their MS teams are much stronger.

Still, why not an "official" state tournament at the end of the year?

Agree. I would love to see an official state tournament at the end of the year. I guess it would be a problem though because some middle school teams wrap up their season in December, while some go longer....still, I would love to see some sort of tournament with all schools involved.
That would be nice but the KBA Middle school state tournament in February is a really nice tourney. Most if not all of the top teams are at this tourney. There is usually 50-60 teams in it.
Right around 80 teams played in the 8th grade division last year.
Yes, I agree that is a really nice tournament. However, most teams in my area are finished with their season by mid December so they are unable to play in a tournament that late. By this point, most 8th graders have joined up with the high school teams and are playing freshman and JV, some even varsity.
what the Hunter Johnson kid from South Floyd he's been scoring double digits every game?
I think pike county as a good group of 8th graders here is my top 10
1.teddy smith johns creek
2.Blaine may pikeville
3. Hunter swindall dorton
4. Zack thacker dorton
5. Cody Charles pikeville
6. Ryder Johnson
7. Matt turnmire johns creek
8. Steve slivers pikeville
9.Chandler Rowe virgie
10. Hunter Clark mullins
I would say if u had to pick a top 3 in Pike county:

Teddy Smith (John's Creek)
Blaine May (Pikeville)
Hunter Swindell (Dorton)
I am curious how many of these top players mentioned are hold-backs.
yea but hes from wolfe. wheres the competition
central kentucky
1. jacob wilson
2. josiah isreal
3. kameron finley
4. clay glover
5. jc cornelious
are some of the players i have seen play and the play at clark middle school in clark county very talented team 4-2 right now won 4 gasmes straight all by double digits .
Carson Williams is the best in the 8th Region, but I have only seen those teams play.
The top Louisville schools do not play in this tournament--The KBA tournament is the same weekend as Louisville's city tournament. If the ville schools are lucky, they have snow days that push their tournament back and then they can come to the KBA tournament.
What about the Baker boy from SMS in Breathitt County, He can shoot 3 pointers or take it to the goal. He is a threat inside or outside, and a true 8th grader.
Same goes for Northern Ky/9th region teams - can't usually make KBA "state" tourney. Eexcept maybe not the catholic schools.

Are there any 8th grade boys getting significant varsity minutes - beside Carson in Owen Co?
what about the 14th are they any good players besides braxton beverly.
Quentin Goodin is definately a top player in the state. He is starting at the point guard position for his varsity team and does well distributing the ball and getting his team involved.

I didn't get to see if personally, but he dunked on a break away steal in his first varsity game. That to me was impressive in itself! He has been compared to OJ Mayo and others.

Not sure about some of the other kids that were mentioned, but this kid is a true 8th grader, he just turned 14 in November.
ref game between b-ville and jackson county great game number 5 for b-ville great game and some of the best 3 point shooting have seen in 15 years of ref. Jackson county center number 23 dominated with 34 points and 16 rebounds. really dominated both ends of the floor best center i have seen this year or in last few years in middle school.Just ask b-ville coach
Old Henry Man Wrote:Carson Williams is the best in the 8th Region, but I have only seen those teams play.

Agreed. He is definitely making an huge impact on the varsity squad this season. He is also a true 8th grader. I believe he just turned 14 in December.
I've heard josh Hitchcock from jcms is pretty good and jus got back from a knee injury
Pretty good player for jcms jus returned from a knee injury
foley war Wrote:ref game between b-ville and jackson county great game number 5 for b-ville great game and some of the best 3 point shooting have seen in 15 years of ref. Jackson county center number 23 dominated with 34 points and 16 rebounds. really dominated both ends of the floor best center i have seen this year or in last few years in middle school.Just ask b-ville coach

So you haven't seen the two big boys that play for KCMS because they both dominated the kid you are talking about from Jackson county not taking anything away from the kid he is good but to state best center in middle school in the last few years is a broad statement unless you havent seen very many teams play this year...
Gunther Faeth
5-11
150 lbs

Turkey foot middle school. Played his 3 years in middle school with his back to the basket as a post player. Double double player. Very high vertical. Plays the two and three spots on his AAU teams(4 teams). Trains on Saturdays and Sundays for ball handling and shooting. very solid 3 point shooter. Puts a lot of effort in his shot blocking. Will end up playing the 2 or 3 in high school at 6'2" or 6'3". Dixie heights high school.

Career highs:
Points-47
Rebounds-20
Blocks-8
Steals-4
Assists-9

AveragesSadall teams)
Points-18
Rebounds-11
Blocks-2.5
Steals-1.2
Assists-4
I think you would have to consider Teddy Smith ex-bearcat. Good Luck Teddy
Watch alot of 9th region/nky basketball and gunther faeth is definitely one of the top 8th graders i've seen. Very athletic, strong, shooter. Needs to work on using left hand and dribbling under pressure but otherwise solid player. Will make a big splash in high school if he goes to dixie heights.
dustin tackett from john m stumbo is one of the best players i have seen
Blake Donovan passes off backboard for Dunk by Carson Williams

Here is a clip someone sent me of an 8th grade AAU game. The action gets good around the 21 second mark. Pretty impressive for a couple of 8th graders.
I see that there is alot of attention focused on the the county teams. I think there is quite a few great players from the northern ky area. There is a few of them that play on the same aau team. How about taking a look at some of them
Lamont Wright-Dorton
Quick and can score.:trolldad2:
Austin Combs, true 8th grader at Cordia. Understandably not a good team, but been starting at PG since the 6th grade. About 5'11" now and will get up to around 6'4" when done. Dropped 43 in county tourny and normally scored over 30.