Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Focus
Ok guys, I know what you're thinking - another random topic that looks totally "wide right."

I am in the process right now of studying for a professional license for my job. The study program is rigorous and unlike anything I have ever seen in school. I know it's usually hard to keep focus when it comes to studying stuff that is generally dry. But I am looking for some advice on how to stay focused. I hate having to repeat the lecture video 2 - 3 times when I could soak in all the information just watching it once. I have my method for note taking, but any ideas there would be helpful as well.
I had the same problem throughout school.
Call it dyslexia or whatever you want, but i often had to reread things 4 or 5 times before i understood what i needed to.
The best way i coped with it is by only searching for the key words i needed.
When your in a class that you hate, especially one that has no affect on your degree, its hard to give a crap, but it has to be done. One of the easiest ways i found was to buy the book online through places that had word searches for the book and by typing it in it showed you exactly where it was at. This always helped me.

As for keeping focus.....goodluck, everybody gets bored with school work.
As strange as this may sound, I never knew how to study...It wasnt exactly due to a lack of trying, but I never knew how to do it. I always thought that just doing everything repetitive would help, but that didnt help either...good luck, man..I hate that stuff..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks guys, this is for my CPA license. I am going to try to knock that out over the summer. Studying going so-so right now. It's a beast.
^
Good deal man. Good luck with that.
CPA's around here make a killing.
^ Yeah, the pay on it is nice. Especially once you pass.

Passing the exam...that is another ball game lol.
^
What does the exam consist of?

Will it resemble the BAR in format?
There are four sections, that can be taken in any order. A 75% is required to pass the exam.

1. BEC - Deals with business concepts...this has a variety of different stuff. Finance, economics, managerial, and even IT concepts.

2. Audit - Deals with auditing companies.

3. REG - The major 2 parts of this exam deal with taxation and regulation. This one is a bitch.

4. FAR - The biggest and most challenging of them all. Deals with financial reporting...a lot of information on this portion.
^
That sounds like loads of fun.
^ Yeah, it's a party. I don't even know why I'm on BGR and watching the NBA playoffs when I could be doing this stuff. It's loads of fun.