Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High School 7th and 8th Grade Teams?
This question is mainly directed at NKY, but is the fact that high schools are getting 7th and 8th grade teams (and I think maybe even 5th and 6th?) killing off pee-wee leagues? I played for the Fort Mitchell Spartans in the NKY Youth Football League back when CCH didn't have a grade school team, and I played with kids who were going to Dixie and Beechwood (many more than CCH, actually) and it was awesome.

It would suck if they all get killed off because (1) they're great programs (2) they're more about learning the game than school pride, (3) I feel like less kids would play in pee-wee if there's less teams and more of a centralized talent base, and (4) it might direct kids to the high school that they're playing pee-wee for before they even really get a chance to decide.

Anybody know?
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
This will never change...It is the backbone of Highlands football success.

http://www.fortthomasjrfootball.com/
Yes this is true, I know some high school coaches want to see the NKYFL dissolve completely to help boost their youth teams and there are coaches that would like to see the NKYFL merge with the middle school league.

I'm a former Bengal Tiger and like the NKYFL, but I would like to see the senior division merge in with the middle school league. I think both sides would gain a lot more that way.
We have been fighting this battle at Russell for a few years now. These people think you have to play other schools. Russell has had JFL through 8th grade for a long long time but the school based teams are gaining in popularity I'm afraid. More kids play and develope in pee wee and JFL. It's undisputable.
Except when the pee wee teams are only coached by parents doing nothing more than babysitting. I really see both sides. Boyle county doesn't have the travel ball teams but I think it could help middle school football. Depends on what you want.
The way I look at it, the more teams the more kids get a chance to play. Sucks when you have 1 team in your town ,50 kids on the team and only 11 play. Like to see NKYFL stick around and instead of having 2 year teams have a team for every year. Still have the middle school teams, let the kids parents decide on which team they play on. Hate seeing kids getting lost in the shuffle and one coach playing toss with 39 kids for 2 hours a night, 4 days a week. Some of the smaller teams(Dayton,Ludlow, etc) do what you have to do to survive.
Blau Vogel Wrote:This will never change...It is the backbone of Highlands football success.

You need to thank your buddies from the Campbell Co. Red Devils as well. How many studs from that organization have gone north on 27 to highlands in the last 20 years? Not knocking the Jr. league.
hop24 Wrote:You need to thank your buddies from the Campbell Co. Red Devils as well. How many studs from that organization have gone north on 27 to highlands in the last 20 years? Not knocking the Jr. league.

There's been a few, but not that many overall.
Wideleft01 Wrote:There's been a few, but not that many overall.

What would you consider to be a few?:popcorn:
I prefer JFL and more kids getting a chance to play. I hope we keep it that way at Russell.
Blau Vogel Wrote:This will never change...It is the backbone of Highlands football success.

Yeah, that, taking players from Cov Cath and from other public schools that don't live in or around Fort Thomas, and, when they break the practices at the end, they say "BEAT COV CATH!"
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Yeah, that, taking players from Cov Cath and from other public schools that don't live in or around Fort Thomas, and, when they break the practices at the end, they say "BEAT COV CATH!"

CovCath is not the only school there taking from though.
hop24 Wrote:CovCath is not the only school there taking from though.

Hell no CovCath isn't the only one- Derek Smith was from Bellevue, and I met some kid that's on the team this year that lives in Bellevue.

Other people said Campbell County, and I'm sure there's loads and loads of kids that are taken from other schools.
BFritz Wrote:This question is mainly directed at NKY, but is the fact that high schools are getting 7th and 8th grade teams (and I think maybe even 5th and 6th?) killing off pee-wee leagues? I played for the Fort Mitchell Spartans in the NKY Youth Football League back when CCH didn't have a grade school team, and I played with kids who were going to Dixie and Beechwood (many more than CCH, actually) and it was awesome.

It would suck if they all get killed off because (1) they're great programs (2) they're more about learning the game than school pride, (3) I feel like less kids would play in pee-wee if there's less teams and more of a centralized talent base, and (4) it might direct kids to the high school that they're playing pee-wee for before they even really get a chance to decide.

Anybody know?

I think you will see more and more High Schools stepping in to create "feeder" programs like the Colonel Youth Football League (CYF) & Highlands at and earlier age.
For one, it encourages the parents of the kids who will matriculate together up through High School to get them playing together sooner than later. I coached in the BCPWFL for years- they are currently just beginning to funnel kids in similar districts to the same teams, and while I can say the coaches and league did a great job with the kids, up to this point, every two years they boys went through a draft and kids who had played together and done well for themselves got split up.
I can guarantee you that the CYF is about learning the game- playing time is a priority & in fact, many of the kids on the CYF came from disgruntled Spartan parents who where tired of having 11 kids on a team of 40 get every snap.
I have nothing against pee wee football to be sure. I just think we'll start to see a more concerted effort to pair these kids up to a distinct High School at an earlier age. Call it what you will- Pee Wee- Feeder Ball etc. It will all amount to the same- young kids learning the basics.
BFritz Wrote:Hell no CovCath isn't the only one- Derek Smith was from Bellevue, and I met some kid that's on the team this year that lives in Bellevue.

Other people said Campbell County, and I'm sure there's loads and loads of kids that are taken from other schools.

Your argument would be more credible if you knew what you were talking about...Derek Smith was from SILVER GROVE. NO FOOTBALL THERE He wanted to play football. Basically, he had two choices, Highlands, where he had played sports with friends growing up, or Campbell County.
For this year's team, listed below are the "stats" guys...The ones making the plays. ( http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football.../129/Highlands ) The ones BOLDED IN RED, did not attend elementary school in Fort Thomas. ALL of those players BOLDED IN RED did not come to Highlands until middle school.

Evan Allen
Grant Beiting
Chad Bowden
Luke Brockett
[COLOR="red"]
Devin Bruns
Drake Bruns
[/COLOR]

David Christian
Joey Cochranan
Jac Collinsworth
Brian Condon
Ryan Donovan
Luke Dressman
Alex Frost
Ryan Greene
Zach Harris
Jaylen Hayes
Jake Heck

Jehad Henderson

Brandon Hergott
Beau Hogue
Seth Hope
Drew Houliston
Brendan Houston
Ryan Kissel
Nathan Merkle
Donovan McCoy
Beau McGhee
Ian McGurn
J.C. Mettens
Jake Meyer
Carter New
Kenton Noran
Joe Paolucci
Austin Peterson
Connor Poston
Josh Quillen
Brad Rouse
Blake Schutte
Colin Seidl
Austin Sheehan
Ben Streeter
Patrick Towles
Jake True
Nick True
Luke Turner
Griffin Urlage
Alex Venneman

If you have ANY proof of ANY rules violations by Highlands or any other school, you should report it IMMEDIATLY to:

KHSAA.org
2280 Executive Drive
Lexington, KY - 40505
(859) 299-5472 - 859-293-5999 (f)