Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Middle makes the news (not in a good light)
Just read this on Forbes.com. I can not think of ANY scenario where this would be acceptable by a coach.
I remember a recent thread on the Football Forum, where the Pikeville folks where complaining over Jenkins playing a Freshmen in a middle school game. This is much worse in my opinion.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I like the part about Tiny Kimper with only 180 kids. Pikeville is class-A so they couldn't have many more kids than that, fact of the matter is that The coach pulled out the starters two minutes in, and told his kids not to play d. What in the hell else could he have done?
Tell them not to shoot?
Armchair QB Wrote:Tell them not to shoot?
So, punish the kids for being that much better? Do the math. They scored 25 points in under 2 minutes, then scored 45 points the remainder of the 1st half, then scored 30 points the whole 2nd half. Would it be any less embarrassing to the Kimper team if they had, for example, just thrown the ball out of bounds and said "Here ya go" every time they got the ball (meaning Pikeville)? Should he have sent one player out to play 1 on 5? Why is no one saying anything about the other team? Why didn't their (Kimper's) coach come out and say "No mas" after being down 70-0 at the half?

A person commented on the article (the original one) who claimed to be an employee over at Kimper, and said that they had 4th graders on the team just to make sure they had enough players. With turnout that low, and playing 4th graders, I'm wondering why they were even in the tournament? And the answer, I'm sure, is that the coach wanted them to play so they can get better. In which case, SOMEONE has to play them in the tournament.

Look, we can debate this all day long, fact of the matter is, this could be avoided only by a running clock or mercy rule, or Kimper not having a team (which I think is unfair because it would punish the kids who DO want to play). He didn't keep playing defense, he sat his starters less than 2 minutes into the game, and further, he is not taking ANY 8th graders to the mid-December game, only 6th and 7th. Here's hoping Kimper gets better, that all the teams have an injury free season, and that the kids have fun and learn and get better on EVERY team.
Easy solution. I noticed one of the guys said he filmed the game. Just put the video online for everyone to see that Pikeville did everything they could to prevent a much worse score.
Every team had to play and a random draw was held to decide matchups.
180 kids.......K-8 grade so about 20 kids per class.
Real Badman Wrote:The 90's were so long ago. Must I really?
I went to school at Pikeville in the '90s and never heard about it...
jetpilot Wrote:Don't believe you. Give me details and I will verify it myself.
Year, players, score. Don't reply any other arguments/info other than the facts I asked for.

This is the typical Pikeville response. The idea of superiority that makes them feel as this has not/can not happen to them in any scenario. I remember seeing Virgie beat Pikeville senseless in many middle school and high school basketball games in the last 10-15 years. I can remember one Middle School game @ Virgie in which they were up on Pikeville in the range of 50-6 at halftime and only ended up winning around 70-16.

The reason Coach Johnson and Pikeville needed to win by this amount is because it is fact that Pikeville has the largest inferiority complex of any school in the area. They "have" to be good at everything and no school is better in anything. The Coach knew as this was happening that he would be ruffling feathers and be the talk of the town for a little while. That's the kind of guy he is.

Like New-O said, post the entire game online and let us judge for ourselves.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:This is the typical Pikeville response. The idea of superiority that makes them feel as this has not/can not happen to them in any scenario. I remember seeing Virgie beat Pikeville senseless in many middle school and high school basketball games in the last 10-15 years. I can remember one Middle School game @ Virgie in which they were up on Pikeville in the range of 50-6 at halftime and only ended up winning around 70-16.

The reason Coach Johnson and Pikeville needed to win by this amount is because it is fact that Pikeville has the largest inferiority complex of any school in the area. They "have" to be good at everything and no school is better in anything. The Coach knew as this was happening that he would be ruffling feathers and be the talk of the town for a little while. That's the kind of guy he is.

I can't speak for others, but your generalization of Pikeville fans is far off base in my opinion. Now, I don't have access to middle school records, and have really only been going to those games over the past 4 or 5 years after being gone from the area almost 25 years, so I went back, and in high school, worst loss I found between these two teams (Valley and PHS) was a 39 point beating in the year valley won state. Prior to that, 31 points was the worst I could find that PHS lost all the way back to the 1997-98 school year.

I CAN tell you, there have been no beatings like that on the middle school/junior high level that I have seen in the past 4 or 5 years, unless you are referring to some C team game (usually 6th graders only)? And in the years I went through school myself, being at every single game from about 1978-1985, there was NEVER a beating that bad, maybe 20-30 points max either way. But don't get me wrong, I agree, I'd like to see this video posted too, because I want to see for myself what transpired in this game (I was traveling).
I don't think you punish the kids at all.

I do have a problem, with both coaches. They should have got together at somepoint and said this game is over. It was 70-0 at half. Did they think it would get better.

Kenny Rogers always says you have to know when to count your money and no when to run.

Both coaches need to be punished for being stupid.
This is probably the funniest, best thing I've ever seen..

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=100356
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I went to school at Pikeville in the '90s and never heard about it...

Elementary
PHSForever Wrote:I can't speak for others, but your generalization of Pikeville fans is far off base in my opinion. Now, I don't have access to middle school records, and have really only been going to those games over the past 4 or 5 years after being gone from the area almost 25 years, so I went back, and in high school, worst loss I found between these two teams (Valley and PHS) was a 39 point beating in the year valley won state. Prior to that, 31 points was the worst I could find that PHS lost all the way back to the 1997-98 school year.

I CAN tell you, there have been no beatings like that on the middle school/junior high level that I have seen in the past 4 or 5 years, unless you are referring to some C team game (usually 6th graders only)? And in the years I went through school myself, being at every single game from about 1978-1985, there was NEVER a beating that bad, maybe 20-30 points max either way. But don't get me wrong, I agree, I'd like to see this video posted too, because I want to see for myself what transpired in this game (I was traveling).

Don't worry...Valley fans always try to play the "victim card" and say that Pikeville thinks they're better or some of that crap. That is not the case, at least not anymore. Every fan is going to think their team is better, it's common sense.

And my middle school beat Kimper 80-8. I'll never forget it. We let up of course, only so much you can do. I loved it though, hahaha. Also beat Feds Creek 90-12...not sure our exact score, but we were in the 90's, and they were 12.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:This is the typical Pikeville response. The idea of superiority that makes them feel as this has not/can not happen to them in any scenario. I remember seeing Virgie beat Pikeville senseless in many middle school and high school basketball games in the last 10-15 years. I can remember one Middle School game @ Virgie in which they were up on Pikeville in the range of 50-6 at halftime and only ended up winning around 70-16.

What?!??! Isn't that the point of sports?!?! To WIN?

I bet you're one of those "lets give everyone trophies and hugs" kind of guys, no?
fred taylor Wrote:Brian the Coach was only doing what Pikeville has done for years.
Pikeville has aways beat teams as bad as they can when they can.
Brian was probably just doing what he saw Kevin Garris do a few years ago.
Kevin Garris had Mullins down 68 to 2 at halftime when he coached and played his starters in the 3rd quarter and beat them by 87 points he also beat Christ Central when they started a girl on they 8th grade boys team by 70 points. I will never beleive anything but Pikeville wanted to win 100 to 0
You no you are playing Kimper dress a few 6th graders let them win by 30 points and go to your next game. But Pikeville has never had any class so this is not a surprise to me.
Wanna guess who was on this Christ Central team? Me. First off, stop trying to embellish the story. There was not a girl that started. It was me (Paintsville/PHS), Landon Hale (Piarst/BL), Gavin Miller (PHS), Cory Tackett (PCHS), and Aaron Cornette (?). We had two sixth graders, Miller and Hale, and three 8th graders starting.

The starters for Pikeville played until about 2 minutes left in the game and I didn't leave the gym demanding an apology. I took the whipping and moved on. I don't see how that is so hard for some people to grasp. Life is not fair. And the people who want to lie to the kids and teach them it is, well, I disagree with that mentality. I have been a part of teams beaten at multiple AAU tournaments by 50-60, baseball teams on the losing end of 15-0 games and a majority were coached by my father. I do not remember him once after a game being upset at the other team for doing what they signed up to do which is play the game. It was taught to me that if something like that happens, it is a wake up call to show where you stand and if you don't work to get better, you are not going to succeed in that field. And thank God I was brought up that way or else I would expect everything to be given to me and that I would not have to work via college, work, etc... to get ahead and excel.
Real Badman Wrote:Elementary
Not going to say you are lying, but I believe we are near the same age, and if this happened it would have happened against a team I was on or a game I was attending for my brother. I can't recall. Elkhorn was probably the best team we played back then, but the only teams I remember losing to in Pike Count on a regular basis was Virgie (and that was not their A team- that would have been scary), Dorton once Cody Varney switched, and Belfry on occasion when Strut played. That was probably 3rd-5th. In 6th grade the only Pikeville team that played was based thru the YMCA and we didn't drop any games to teams in this area just around Louisville and Lexington.
HawksRule Wrote:I'd raise hell about that video if I were you.
No kidding. The video on youtube now has over 3,000 views and that wasn't even linked lol. If it was on the story, we are looking at around 1,000,000+ and that is some money coming my way :Sad04:
Armchair QB Wrote:Tell them not to shoot?
Yeah, that helps the cause. Make the other team realize you don't even have to try. That should boost their self-esteem. Any competitor would rather there opponent stomp them going 100%, then beat them badly and give up half way in.
new o Wrote:Easy solution. I noticed one of the guys said he filmed the game. Just put the video online for everyone to see that Pikeville did everything they could to prevent a much worse score.
Every team had to play and a random draw was held to decide matchups.
I did not film the game, but was given access to it by someone that did. Only probably is it was someone associated with a starter so, there is no more than 5-6 minutes of game film. As they did filmed a little when the subs went it, but stopped after realizing the starters would not return, I assume.

As for the comment about Dorton and Virgie combining earlier, BRING IT ON. lol. That is how you improve. If SV thrashes Pikeville, so be it. That is why you play the game. To see the better team and to find out where each team stands. Look if Pikeville gets beat by 70 points, I will be the first one crying about the margin. The fact that we got beat by 70! I would want answers for how this could happen and what we can do to improve and ensure it does not happen again. If you want proff, look up the Pikeville/Belfry Football final thread from this season. In response to Belfry running up the score, I was on the defense of Belfry, I said it is our job to stop them and we failed at that job. Too much of this there is always someone to blame, liberal, give everyone a trophy, spread the wealth, etc... in America today.
I read on facebook that their about to lose the entire season after beating a school 100-2 in the season opener
Strikeout King Wrote:I read on facebook that their about to lose the entire season after beating a school 100-2 in the season opener

Look at the link I posted above...http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=100356

It's just dumb.

But I also want to let the dull people outthere no that I don't like kids to completely stomp others purposely..but this is a game, and they did stop playing D. Kimper just sucks, they have always sucked. Not really the kids fault, they're just a small school and not got a good program to build good players.

I enjoyed when we stomped crappy teams...mainly because we won, and it made us not look bad, and I padded my stats. But I never really rubbed it in their face unless they trash talked or something. These Pikeville kids didn't rub it in, at all.
Strikeout King Wrote:I read on facebook that their about to lose the entire season after beating a school 100-2 in the season opener
Not true. Forbes interviewed the superintendent, who confirmed the season is still on and it was not a consideration at any point to cancel the season.
I was at the game and Pikeville pressed into the 2nd quarter, because they pressed until the score was 46-0. The score at the end of the 1st quarter was 39-0. So the interview from the pikeville coach was a lie to save himself as much as he could. The rest of the 2nd quarter they dropped back into a 2-3 zone, where they trapped and shot the passing lanes and ran the lead up to 70-0 at the half.
Why were they pressing until 46-0?
If it was 25-0 that would be different.
I think if ppl knew the real story, their opinions would change dramatically.
vundy33 Wrote:Look at the link I posted above...http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=100356

It's just dumb.

But I also want to let the dull people outthere no that I don't like kids to completely stomp others purposely..but this is a game, and they did stop playing D. Kimper just sucks, they have always sucked. Not really the kids fault, they're just a small school and not got a good program to build good players.

I enjoyed when we stomped crappy teams...mainly because we won, and it made us not look bad, and I padded my stats. But I never really rubbed it in
their face unless they trash talked or something. These Pikeville kids didn't rub it in, at all.

You prolly rode the pine and played at Kimpet.
EasyMoney Wrote:You prolly rode the pine and played at Kimpet.

No.

Are you getting that upset over a middle-school game? Think those kids are forever emotionally scarred? Go through three divorces and become an alcoholic based on this epic beatdown?

We spent 4 years getting beat by Belfry..in middle-school, got dominated by Virgie and Dorton. Didn't kill us. We laugh about it now.

Not this big of a deal.
Anything short of Coach Johnson and the team on it's knees pleading for mercy would be unacceptable for some of these hypocrites,imo.
You are probably still in highschool, so one day, you will finally see the big picture.
Someone from pikeville put the footage on here and I will prove to you pikeville could have done a lot more to stop this.

WOW! Youve just proved a point I made in an earlier post. You had no problem when Virgie was doing it to Pikeville but now that Pikeville has done it to someone you have a problem. You see the hypocrisy in your statement? Dont give me this crap about Pikeville having some sort of complex when some of you county folk blame Pikeville for everything from The Titanic sinking to 9/11....
EasyMoney Wrote:I was at the game and Pikeville pressed into the 2nd quarter, because they pressed until the score was 46-0. The score at the end of the 1st quarter was 39-0. So the interview from the pikeville coach was a lie to save himself as much as he could. The rest of the 2nd quarter they dropped back into a 2-3 zone, where they trapped and shot the passing lanes and ran the lead up to 70-0 at the half.
Why were they pressing until 46-0?
If it was 25-0 that would be different.
I think if ppl knew the real story, their opinions would change dramatically.
Ok so they quit pressing in the 2nd qurater.... That totally changes everything! Ill alert Jerry Green...
Confusednicker:
I'm not sure what the bigger picture is EasyMoney (<--and I'm the one in highschool?). How is this in anyway damaging to the kids?
To ALL Pikeville fans on here. When you fight a battle against prejudiced hypocrites who are just looking to find anything they can to blast Pikeville FOR NO OTHER REASON than "Because their Pikeville". YOU CANT WIN! Theres no sense in arguing with these people about this. Because I dont care if Coach Johnson had his players score in Kimpers basket until Pikeville lead by only 20. These close minded people would find something else to complain about. The real issue here isnt that Pikeville beat Kimper 100-2..... Its because Pikeville won and they have to find some way to discredit that FACT in order to feel better about their own selves and the school they root for....What I find intersting is that nobody from Kimper that I know of is on here complaining about this. Just others who had a beef with either Pikeville or Coach Johnson before this game ever tipped off. Im done posting in this thread. PEACE OUT!!!!
Pikeville pressed Virgie until the end and I have no problem with it, we have been beat bad before. We are talking about Kimper. A school that has no gym and about 10 boys in each class. Johns Creek takes every kid that can play ball from Kimper which leaves kids that just want to be a part of something. I would be saying the same if it were Virgie, Dorton, Mullins or whoever.