Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Middle makes the news (not in a good light)
Wow......The pikeville faithful just don't get it......If you can hold your head high after putting a beat down like that on an over-matched team, who are lucky to even have a team. Then so be it!:HitWall:
new o Wrote:Pikeville pressed Virgie until the end and I have no problem with it, we have been beat bad before. We are talking about Kimper. A school that has no gym and about 10 boys in each class. Johns Creek takes every kid that can play ball from Kimper which leaves kids that just want to be a part of something. I would be saying the same if it were Virgie, Dorton, Mullins or whoever.
In which case, they need to form a little league or something for those kids and develop them. I'm sure there are kids from Johns Creek who don't make the team and would love to play as well. Combine those with the Kimper kids and have a 5/6th grade little league. That would avoid these types of blow outs. Now, for 7/8th grades, not a lot you can do there, they can either play, or they can't, so they make the team or they don't.

But to address Big Don as well, it is not that we are holding our head high as a community after this beat down, it is backing up the kids from the negative backlash. Heck, the calls and negativity is unreal. As I've heard it for example, one person called the school and told the secretary they needed to "get on their hands and knees and pray to God because they had to answer to him on Judgement Day for their actions in this game", and another poster on another website implied that the kids needed to perform community service for the "harm" they've done to the community/ What the hell? It wasn't a CRIME! It is a game, a preseason game.
They have avoided these types of blowouts for years but only because the other teams chose to avoid them. The other teams in the county understand their situation.
Guess what Pikeville, your poop does stink! This was wrong at ever angle that you look at it. Why did they not reset the score at the end of the quarters or the half? I think I would have told the kids not to score anymore. I know that it goes against everything you teach them, but destroying kids self-esteem is a lot worse than that. Its a game and Pikeville needs to realize that. Johnson should be fired. He knew better. I am not saying that he is a bad person but Denny would have never beat them by 98 points.
Would someone post the game film so it will stop all discussions? Show us how they didn't play to the end to beat them by 98.
Faith Wrote:Guess what Pikeville, your poop does stink! This was wrong at ever angle that you look at it. Why did they not reset the score at the end of the quarters or the half? I think I would have told the kids not to score anymore. I know that it goes against everything you teach them, but destroying kids self-esteem is a lot worse than that. Its a game and Pikeville needs to realize that. Johnson should be fired. He knew better. I am not saying that he is a bad person but Denny would have never beat them by 98 points.
Faith, they couldn't reset the score. That's at the discretion of the officials, not Pikeville's decision to make, it was a tournament they were not running or organizing. Lets look at it another way, why didn't the other coach reach out to see about a running clock? Why didn't he forfeit at the half? There's a million ways to lay the blame, but it all comes down to just an over matched team, a bad situation, and no mercy rule or running clock rule, etc to help avoid these. I mean, another poster said other schools have avoided this in the past because they "understood" their situation (Kimpers). Okay, what did they do? Did they play their starters then sit them for the bench warmers to play? Did they not shoot? Did they go to a stall or 4 corners offense? Did anyone scream about them not giving Kimper's kids a chance to score by keeping the ball away from them? I mean, goodness... standing there and not playing any defense, not contesting any shots at all in the second half, and Kimper still could not score? I coach little league, had a ton of 4th graders on my team last year, and every single one of them could hit uncontested layups.

Like Hail Pikeville, I'm done with this conversation, because trying to be reasonable and seeing both sides has accomplished next to nothing here. Just too much vitriol against Pikeville in people's minds to allow them to try and be fair and see both sides. It is junior high, people. When games start to matter. Not little league where you focus on developing skill sets and good sportsmanship and the fundamentals.
I see it both ways. It was a preseason tournament that could have reset the clock understanding that Pikeville wins. I a sure Pikeville's 4th graders would have came and played them since they can run an uncontested layup.
Teams avoided beating them bad by playing 4th and 5th graders against them. Sometimes 6th and 7th depending on the Kimper team. Virgie sent their B team to Johns Creek and Phelps last year and guess what? Virgie lost both games and it was OK. Coach Haley said in the pre-season meeting, in which every coach attended that his team"would not score double figures all year" so take it easy on me guys.
Evidently someone didn't get the message and "smelled blood in water".
There are three things that are very hard to overcome;
1 Mindset
2.Prejudice
3.Hate
Post the video.

There are winners and loser.

Couple of thoughts

No one should be MADE to play Kimper. PERIOD. Pike County BOE shouldn't make anyone play them until they can field a competitive team or they should send half the school to Phelps and half to Johns Creek. Waste of tax payer money keeping that school open.

Pikeville coaches should have known better. Don't cancel their season and punish kids. They are better than most teams right now because they have played together longer, they will get beat in this county and area this year as the season progresses. They are not as good as some let them on to be, but they are def. not bad either.
Only time will tell if these guys are the best in their age group . I can recall a group of youngsters from this same district that did not have a division 1 player on it . They won the state middle school championship . The first in this area was Virgie middle school. Some of these same kids went on with several young men from other schools four or five years later and won the sweet sixteen . So if these kids are that good . They will bring another middle school championship to this area . And maybe a Sweet 16 back to the mountains . But the build up of points you blame the other coach for not giving up sooner . What did he want Pikeville to do, quit . He was the stupid one . I am not a Pikeville fan nor never will be . But thats because the attitude they are taught . But these young men did what they were taught with perfection . Let them enjoy their young age and let them play .
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:Only time will tell if these guys are the best in their age group . I can recall a group of youngsters from this same district that did not have a division 1 player on it . They won the state middle school championship . The first in this area was Virgie middle school. Some of these same kids went on with several young men from other schools four or five years later and won the sweet sixteen . So if these kids are that good . They will bring another middle school championship to this area . And maybe a Sweet 16 back to the mountains . But the build up of points you blame the other coach for not giving up sooner . What did he want Pikeville to do, quit . He was the stupid one . I am not a Pikeville fan nor never will be . But thats because the attitude they are taught . But these young men did what they were taught with perfection . Let them enjoy their young age and let them play .

I was just there to see all the games that day and I seen the whole game between Kimper and pikeville. Like I said before, I was shocked and eager to see what Pikeville would do once they got up 20-0. Well they kept pressing. I said there is no way they will keep pressing up 30-0. Well they did. Well to make a long story short, they called it off after the score was 46-0.
All you people were not there and I was. Johnsons story was a lie.
EasyMoney Wrote:I was just there to see all the games that day and I seen the whole game between Kimper and pikeville. Like I said before, I was shocked and eager to see what Pikeville would do once they got up 20-0. Well they kept pressing. I said there is no way they will keep pressing up 30-0. Well they did. Well to make a long story short, they called it off after the score was 46-0.
All you people were not there and I was. Johnsons story was a lie.

Hearing that once Pikeville called off the press they droppedbto a zone but trapped Kimper the rest of the way. Not hearing that Pikeville stood back and let them play. Just curious.
Absolutely until sometime in the 4th.
Pikeville let them shoot 3"s after that until kimper got an offensive board and scored with under 5 seconds left in the game.
Pikeville was up 100-0 until then.
Can you honestly tell me that a team shooting layups for 23 min and 12 seconds uncontested could not make more than 1 of them.come on, I saw it all.
Sorry for math it's bad.
22 min and 12 sec
That's horrible sportsmanship. That is a feeder school to Pike County High.
Stop! It's a middle school blowout!
Considering last year a female HIGH school coach was fired in Texas for doing this exact same thing, and the nation overwhelming agreed on Outside The Lines it was very bad sportsmanship and the coach deserved to be fired. And judging by everything we have read by anyone who is not from Pikeville on here, and I'm not taking a shot at Pikeville fans because I might have a different point of view had we at Betsy Layne done this. However on here, the people seem to agree it was bad sportsmanship. But I ask if it would cost a high school coach their job, what should it cost a grade school coach because in high school you at least have the excuse that you have the best a school of young adults has to offer rather than children still.
vundy33 Wrote:Stop! It's a middle school blowout!

Exactly!! And let's move on.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Exactly!! And let's move on.
Agreed. Anyway, according to the Huntington, WV news last night (I haven't had a chance to confirm this), the regular season game has now been cancelled between these two teams. Probably due to all the acrimony if it is true. So I think a mod should close the thread.
Also mentioned in today's Lexington Herald.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:To ALL Pikeville fans on here. When you fight a battle against prejudiced hypocrites who are just looking to find anything they can to blast Pikeville FOR NO OTHER REASON than "Because their Pikeville". YOU CANT WIN! Theres no sense in arguing with these people about this. Because I dont care if Coach Johnson had his players score in Kimpers basket until Pikeville lead by only 20. These close minded people would find something else to complain about. The real issue here isnt that Pikeville beat Kimper 100-2..... Its because Pikeville won and they have to find some way to discredit that FACT in order to feel better about their own selves and the school they root for....What I find intersting is that nobody from Kimper that I know of is on here complaining about this. Just others who had a beef with either Pikeville or Coach Johnson before this game ever tipped off. Im done posting in this thread. PEACE OUT!!!!

Its "they're" as in, they are....but we'll just blame that on the Pikeville school system.:biggrin:
Really is there any excuse no matter what to have a team down 100-0
You will only have an excuse if you are a Pikeville fan.
Pikeville shows class again you should be proud
vundy33 Wrote:Stop! It's a middle school blowout!

That made national attention!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This is getting really old. I hate that it happened. It should never happen but I for one am tired of hearing about it. Please let it end. They will get theirs.
as a coach, official, former player i know we play this game to win and we associate words with basketball such as honor, dignity, respect, intensity, intelligence, and integrity just to name a few.

Pikeville showed intensity by jumping out to a big lead the problem here is that's the only thing they showed. The lack honor, dignity, intelligence, respect, and integrity. Anyone involved in sports of any kind can tell you that this kind of situation could have been avoided. You build your lead, then call the dogs off. Everyone knew Pikeville was the better team. What did beating Kimper 100 -2 really accomplish? Only thing it accomplished was causing the Kimper kids humiliation and loss of self esteem.

Dorton, Feds Creek, Virgie all have had teams the past few years to beat smaller schools like this but they didn't. Coach Rowe, Davis and Justice all held back to keep from beating teams like this. These coaches know beating the small bottom feeder schools won't prove nothing.
Guys, when you beat someone this badly, you can expect a negative reaction. I've been on both sides of this. We have been really down, and we have been very good. During the good years, I told my boys to remember the beatings they got when they were young and how it felt and that we WERE NOT going to beat people into the ground. In my honest opinion, there is no excuse to beat a team like the score that I saw. I understand about playing hard, but 100-2........ Looks like they were trying to make a statement, and in my opinion, it was a negative one.
Big Don Wrote:Also mentioned in today's Lexington Herald.

Lovin it ,ain't ya don?
Spud6 Wrote:That made national attention!

And? My team beat nearly as bad, and every other county team has dominated. Kimper couldn't even hit the open layups and threes Pikeville let them shoot! They SUCK, and have always suck and will always get blown out. Simple as that. THis wouldn't be an issue if Kimper could've hit the LAYUPS they were given and scored 10 or 15 points..