Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region
i think belfry will be the front runner followed by j.c. then maybe magoffin co. and then paintsville ...after that i will say phelps will surprise alot of people
If you follow baseball closely in the 15th I think Belfry would hold the pre-season favotites spot. The rest for the most part would have to be just a wild guess, with those teams who are right there in the mix every year,back again. As to Phelps,I know absolutely nothing so there it would indeed be a suprise. I would however say they had better stay away from their neighbors back door. Belfry will indeed be a tough out.
chop1990 Wrote:i think belfry will be the front runner followed by j.c. then maybe magoffin co. and then paintsville ...after that i will say phelps will surprise alot of people
Do not count out Pikeville. Tough out every year.
PHSForever Wrote:Do not count out Pikeville. Tough out every year.

I agree. Pikeville may not be as potent offensively this year, but with Maynard and Hamilton on the mound in the post season, that could be just enough if they can generate just a few runs.
Just gonna throw out some basic pre-season thoughts....

1. Belfry- Returns the best offense, IMO with a couple good arms.
2. Johnson Central- Will continue to be solid, gotta get over the hump at some point.
3. Pikeville- Possibly the best 1-2 punch with Hamilton and Maynard. The biggest key will be replacing a top 10 defense, finding a #3, and manipulating the line up to be able to produce at least 5-6 runs per game. Will Miller, Maynard, and Hamilton be able to put this team on their back?
4. Paintsville- Lost Jackson and that will be huge. Can they score enough while holding teams to under 4 runs per game?
5. Prestonsburg- Well coached and return Anderson who may be the best overall player in the region, right up there with Miller of Pikeville.
6. Lawrence County- Lost almost everything, but a good program always trumps a good team. They will find a way to compete.
7. Magoffin County- Returns some good players.
8. Sheldon Clark- Well coached, lost some good players in Hayes and Lafferty.
9. Allen Central- Always seem to play better than other team in the lower half of the 15th.
10. Phelps- Mayhorn played very well over the summer. Return a couple good players.
11. Betsy Layne
12. Pike Central
13. East Ridge
14. Shelby Valley
15. South Floyd

By District

57th
1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Lawrence County
4. Magoffin County
5. Sheldon Clark

58th
1. Prestonsburg
2. Allen Central
3. Betsy Layne
4. South Floyd

59th
1. Pikeville
2. East Ridge
3. Shelby Valley

60th
1. Belfry
2. Phelps
3. Pike Central

By Player:
1. Gavin Miller (Pikeville)
2. Grant Anderson (Prestonsburg)
3. Jacob Hamilton (Pikeville)
4. Tyler Williams (Belfry)
5. Will Meek (Johnson Central)
6. Colby Burchett (Paintsville)
7. Randy Maynard (Pikeville)
8. Ethan Daniel (Lawrence County)
9. Howie Dotson (Belfry)
10. Chase Blevins (Johnson Central)

The 15th is DOWN. There are some very good players mixed in, but there are no very good teams. The region will struggle in out of region play, IMO.
The 57th will prove to be a dogfight this year. No single team is really leaps and bounds ahead of the other. The SS from Magoffin will have a standout year I feel like. He's a solid player all around and will lead them to competing more than they have in years past in the Region. As for the Region as a whole, Belfry is the best team coming into it IMO. I agree with your rankings PT. Very well put.
Gentlemen, I realize that it is January,Snow in a lot of areas with single digits. Let me just ask if you can smell the grass and see the Diamond.It is just simply not that far away.
Not jumping on the Belfry bandwagon at all until they prove they can beat someone. Pikeville has more than enough weapons to handle Belfry again.
1. Belfry
2. Johnson Central
3. Magoffin
4. Pikeville
5. Prestonsburg
6. Paintsville
7. Lawrence
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Allen Central
10. Pike Central

Who wins District...
57th: Dog Fight no prediction my opinion its a 3 team race. JC, MC, and Paintsville
58th: Prestonsburg
59th: Pikeville
60th: Belfry
jetpilot Wrote:Not jumping on the Belfry bandwagon at all until they prove they can beat someone. Pikeville has more than enough weapons to handle Belfry again.

Don't jump on it! LMAO... Remember last year's Regional game between the Pirates and LC? WELL, Pikeville played LC because they won 1-0 on a BAD hop in the 7th inning. Belfry returns EVERYONE! We LOVE it when no one wants to jump aboard! Smile

JSYK-Got a LOT of friends at Pikeville and watched and supported Pikeville against LC last year! Was heartbroken for those young men. BUT, got family playing for the Pirates so, I'm jumping aboard!
i think bl can win district this year they have alot of returning players lastyear they was under a new coach and havent got the hang of things
Phelps returns 8 starters from last years team. There only graduate was Mac page but he was a big loss
fieldofdreams Wrote:Don't jump on it! LMAO... Remember last year's Regional game between the Pirates and LC? WELL, Pikeville played LC because they won 1-0 on a BAD hop in the 7th inning. Belfry returns EVERYONE! We LOVE it when no one wants to jump aboard! Smile

JSYK-Got a LOT of friends at Pikeville and watched and supported Pikeville against LC last year! Was heartbroken for those young men. BUT, got family playing for the Pirates so, I'm jumping aboard!

What I remember is everyone Belfry has coming back is 0-4 the last two years against Pikeville, been outscored 27-2 and been shut out three of those games.
fieldofdreams Wrote:Don't jump on it! LMAO... Remember last year's Regional game between the Pirates and LC? WELL, Pikeville played LC because they won 1-0 on a BAD hop in the 7th inning. Belfry returns EVERYONE! We LOVE it when no one wants to jump aboard! Smile

FOD you are truely dreaming in the past. First of all bad hops,errors,dropped balls and pick offs are as much what baseball is all about as base hits,HR's,steals and squeezes. Belfry was a good team last year they weren't great. To say that Belfry did not get into the finals because of a bad hop is real weak. As I remember a basehit and RBI won the game (officially). Now where was Belfry's run production to surpass the one run that LC had. Belfry will be much stronger this year however last years team could not have stayed in with either Pikeville or LC a in set series. The two best teams in the Region played in the finals.
jetpilot Wrote:What I remember is everyone Belfry has coming back is 0-4 the last two years against Pikeville, been outscored 27-2 and been shut out three of those games.

True, true but I can guarantee that the kids didn't boast about it EXACTLY like you just did! Those kids (for the most part) are friends. I can tell you that I know of at least 4 of Belfry's players who came to support Pikeville in the regional finals last year. Too bad the kids got more class than you do isn't it!
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:FOD you are truely dreaming in the past. First of all bad hops,errors,dropped balls and pick offs are as much what baseball is all about as base hits,HR's,steals and squeezes. Belfry was a good team last year they weren't great. To say that Belfry did not get into the finals because of a bad hop is real weak. As I remember a basehit and RBI won the game (officially). Now where was Belfry's run production to surpass the one run that LC had. Belfry will be much stronger this year however last years team could not have stayed in with either Pikeville or LC a in set series. The two best teams in the Region played in the finals.

I do believe your precious LC scored in the top of the 7th. I do believe the Belfry D held them the entire game. Excellent game pitched by Tyler Williams and JSYK, WYMT (I went back and looked) called it a bad hop! OOPS! Granted, Belfry didn't score either but winning by a score of 1-0 HAD to be a let down to the "all-mighty" DAWGS.... LMAO!
long_time_pirate Wrote:I do believe your precious LC scored in the top of the 7th. I do believe the Belfry D held them the entire game. Excellent game pitched by Tyler Williams and JSYK, WYMT (I went back and looked) called it a bad hop! OOPS! Granted, Belfry didn't score either but winning by a score of 1-0 HAD to be a let down to the "all-mighty" DAWGS.... LMAO!
Belfry should be at the top of the region this year as I have said in several posts. I n fact I personally have them #1 although that has to be proven. Last year was a different thing. Baseball is not like football no 28/14 scores.A one run game certainly indicates a good contest but that is all that is necessary to take you to the next round. To use a bad hop for an excuse is a little weak. If there had been a little more offense for the Pirates then? Belfry was certainly a better team the second try. . It was definitely a very good game. No question. My point again was that the two best teams played in the finals and that game was one of the best I have ever seen. I mean no disrespect and truly believe Belfry will be there in 2012. No I did not view the game a let down for LC. If anything it was a pump and the end results showed.
jetpilot Wrote:What I remember is everyone Belfry has coming back is 0-4 the last two years against Pikeville, been outscored 27-2 and been shut out three of those games.

Gosh JP, I seem to remember that JC also went 3-0 against Belfry as well last year, and they too have about everyone coming back. Seems like I remember two freshmen picking up the win in 2 of those three wins as well. Perhaps we should all just listen to "FOD/LTP" and just stay at the house this year since it has all been decided before the season ever starts.
Bob Seger Wrote:Gosh JP, I seem to remember that JC also went 3-0 against Belfry as well last year, and they too have about everyone coming back. Seems like I remember two freshmen picking up the win in 2 of those three wins as well. Perhaps we should all just listen to "FOD/LTP" and just stay at the house this year since it has all been decided before the season ever starts.
I think that JCHS has to be on top of the pile as well,based on offensive capacity. Their pitching I think is the big factor. Seems like there might be a blending of youth and old guys. If the young guys can produce reasonably and the upperclassmen as well then I think the offense can give the necessary cushion. The Eagles will score runs.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I think that JCHS has to be on top of the pile as well,based on offensive capacity. Their pitching I think is the big factor. Seems like there might be a blending of youth and old guys. If the young guys can produce reasonably and the upperclassmen as well then I think the offense can give the necessary cushion. The Eagles will score runs.

A lot of "if's" for the Eagles that we will wait and see about, so not predicting anything. Just thought it interesting that the region has already been predetermined with results from last year that need to be remembered. Frankly, I really dont care who lost who, and who has who coming back, IMO it's still going to be tough for anybody to get past Hamilton and Maynard @ Pikeville in the post season.
Bob Seger Wrote:A lot of "if's" for the Eagles that we will wait and see about, so not predicting anything. Just thought it interesting that the region has already been predetermined with results from last year that need to be remembered. Frankly, I really dont care who lost who, and who has who coming back, IMO it's still going to be tough for anybody to get past Hamilton and Maynard @ Pikeville in the post season.
Agree Bob the season is not quite over and Pikeville will be Pikeville. Isuppose that this year more so than in the recent past that it may be a toss up. And as they say it may not be over til the lady sings.
I just don't think Belfry has proven anything yet to be given the top spot before the season starts? Last season they had a 13-7 record against region opponents. LC, JC, and Pikeville all beat Belfry everytime they played them. Magoffin County came within one run of beating them as well. I understand you have to put into consideration the players returning, but you also have to put in the tradition and coaching as well. With Belfry it just seems like they have a little more to do before they are given that top spot? Until somebody knocks off LC and Pikeville I still think they have to be among the top, including JC as well. This could be the year where a team comes out of nowhere to win the 15th though? I think this is the first year in a long time where the 15th isn't dominated by one or two teams. I am also anxious to see what East Ridge does this season with their new coach?
I know the Tigers lost Jackson. But, I also recall the Tigers, with VanHoose on the mound, coming within one run of winning the District Title against LC. We also lost Spencer and Green on the right side of the infield. But, I also think that they have a couple of younger kids ready to step in and produce for the Tigers there this season. With the new bats. Throwing and locating strikes will be a bigger factor this season. Which I feel the Tigers will be able to do with VanHoose, Burchett, Taylor, Moore and Sublett (being healthy this season). Coach Miller now has a year under his belt and knows what to expect and has these kids filled with enthusiasm and ready for the season to start. Should be a pretty tight season in the 15th this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
long_time_pirate Wrote:True, true but I can guarantee that the kids didn't boast about it EXACTLY like you just did! Those kids (for the most part) are friends. I can tell you that I know of at least 4 of Belfry's players who came to support Pikeville in the regional finals last year. Too bad the kids got more class than you do isn't it!

Just pointing out facts, calm down! lol...
I didn't attack anyone, just explained in as few words possible why I'm not putting Belfry on top just yet. Then you attacked me, so it's clear who is lacking class here.
Bob Seger Wrote:Gosh JP, I seem to remember that JC also went 3-0 against Belfry as well last year, and they too have about everyone coming back. Seems like I remember two freshmen picking up the win in 2 of those three wins as well. Perhaps we should all just listen to "FOD/LTP" and just stay at the house this year since it has all been decided before the season ever starts.

Can't argue with JC being put first either. It will be wide open for sure. Belfry may or may not have as good a chance as anyone else. They will have to beat some people before I put them in my top 3...
Bob Seger Wrote:A lot of "if's" for the Eagles that we will wait and see about, so not predicting anything. Just thought it interesting that the region has already been predetermined with results from last year that need to be remembered. Frankly, I really dont care who lost who, and who has who coming back, IMO it's still going to be tough for anybody to get past Hamilton and Maynard @ Pikeville in the post season.
Completely forgot about region being at Pikeville this season. I had to go back and look up the last time it was here. And that being said, it won't be at Davis Park for a long time again. So Panthers fans should enjoy hosting it. I think Davis Park is a great place to watch a game and it is definitely a unique surface that levels the playing field. This will help Pikeville immensely. Part of the reason pitching has looked so good the past few years is because of the defense behind the pitchers. All of that with the exception of Miller, in the infield, was lost and the turf will help sure up what will (just being honest) an average defense. With the bats and the turf, runs will be a hot commodity in the 2012 15th Region Tournament.

Host ; Champion
1998: Pikeville ; Pikeville
1999: Johnson Central ; Pikeville
2000: Pike Central ; Paintsville
2001: Paintsville ; Paintsville
2002: Shelby Valley ; Pikeville
2003: Johnson Central ; Allen Central
2004: Pikeville ; Johnson Central
2005: Paintsville ; Pikeville
2006: Pike Central ; Sheldon Clark
2007: Johnson Central ; Johnson Central
2008: East Ridge ; Lawrence County
2009: Belfry ; Lawrence County
2010: Lawrence County ; Pikeville
2011: Prestonsburg ; Lawrence County
2012: Pikeville
OffTheHook Wrote:I know the Tigers lost Jackson. But, I also recall the Tigers, with VanHoose on the mound, coming within one run of winning the District Title against LC. We also lost Spencer and Green on the right side of the infield. But, I also think that they have a couple of younger kids ready to step in and produce for the Tigers there this season. With the new bats. Throwing and locating strikes will be a bigger factor this season. Which I feel the Tigers will be able to do with VanHoose, Burchett, Taylor, Moore and Sublett (being healthy this season). Coach Miller now has a year under his belt and knows what to expect and has these kids filled with enthusiasm and ready for the season to start. Should be a pretty tight season in the 15th this year.

All good points. Anybody that thinks they have all the studs and are a shoe'n in the 15th this year is only kidding themselves.
I didn't get to watch alot of 15th region games like some of you here, but I did make it to the Regional final. And man oh man was that a game? After seeing what LC is losing I think they'll have an average to solid year maybe. Pikeville, IMO will be among your top 3. I know Johnson Central is usually a front runner.

As for the rest I'm not positive but I've heard good things about the Paintsville Tiger and Belfry pirates. Should be an interesting year in the 15th, where as it seems there will not be a dominating team.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I just don't think Belfry has proven anything yet to be given the top spot before the season starts? Last season they had a 13-7 record against region opponents. LC, JC, and Pikeville all beat Belfry everytime they played them. Magoffin County came within one run of beating them as well. I understand you have to put into consideration the players returning, but you also have to put in the tradition and coaching as well. With Belfry it just seems like they have a little more to do before they are given that top spot? Until somebody knocks off LC and Pikeville I still think they have to be among the top, including JC as well. This could be the year where a team comes out of nowhere to win the 15th though? I think this is the first year in a long time where the 15th isn't dominated by one or two teams. I am also anxious to see what East Ridge does this season with their new coach?
The reason I had Belfry at the top was because of their returning team and the fact that they had a pretty weak start and good finish in 2011. The first time LC played them in2011 they looked terrible in I believe a 10-1 affair. They seemed to get some things straightened out during the season and played a real nice the second time around. If they start where they left off,then who knows. In retrospect I must say that a lot of teams in the 15th are in a mix where I think the pirates are fixed. Some teams are expected and others must prove where it obvious the Pirates seem to be. I agree there is really nothing clear and bound to be some surprises.
OffTheHook Wrote:I know the Tigers lost Jackson. But, I also recall the Tigers, with VanHoose on the mound, coming within one run of winning the District Title against LC. We also lost Spencer and Green on the right side of the infield. But, I also think that they have a couple of younger kids ready to step in and produce for the Tigers there this season. With the new bats. Throwing and locating strikes will be a bigger factor this season. Which I feel the Tigers will be able to do with VanHoose, Burchett, Taylor, Moore and Sublett (being healthy this season). Coach Miller now has a year under his belt and knows what to expect and has these kids filled with enthusiasm and ready for the season to start. Should be a pretty tight season in the 15th this year.
Ya know Hook nobody in the 15th has more respect for Coach Miller than we do. We spent 4 years under his tutorage a few years ago and know him quite well. He is quite capable of going great distances with his Tiger teams and also making big problems for other teams who may have better personnel. I think for the Tigers to be signifiantly successful two things must happen. First of all there are a couple of underclassmen that must play. One of which may be the best freshmen infielders in the region and who will play with most Srs. I think your pitching staff is questionable because they were shadowed by the performances of Jackson. Seems as though he threw ever third game. We really cannot access the rest of the staff. This a notice of Jackson not a slam to the rest of the staff. Anyway best wishes and good luck(to a point).Big Grin