Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds acquire Latos from Padres for Alonso, others
Reds--Matt Latos (P)

Padres-Edinson Volquez (P), Yonder Alonso(OF), Brad Boxberger(P), and Yasmani Grandal©.

Thoughts? I think the Reds gave up way to much. I hope it turns out for the good.
P Edinson Volquez, P Brad Boxberger, 1B Yonder Alonso and C Yasmani Grandal to San Diego for P Mat Latos. What is everybody opinion?
Who is Mat Latos???
In 3 Seasons he is 27-29 with a 3.37 ERA and 1 Complete Game

http://www.baseball-reference.com/player...ign=Linker

Stupid Stupid trade by the Reds but that's what there known for, trading away there best players
^ Great, this was an incredibly dumb MOVE!!! Call the Cops, because San Diego just committed a crime

[Image: http://www.wbrz.com/images/news/JOBROBBERY.jpg]
Strikeout King Wrote:In 3 Seasons he is 27-29 with a 3.37 ERA and 1 Complete Game

Stupid Stupid trade by the Reds but that's what there known for, trading away there best players

I think you are seriously undervaluing Mat Latos. He has been a very good pitcher the last couple of years.

In 2010, his first full year in the bigs, he had a 2.92 ERA. In 2011, he had a 3.47 ERA. Those are stats very comparable to Johnny Cueto's last two years. Also, you really can't judge him by his win-loss record, because he pitched for a team in the Padres that provided him with TERRIBLE run support. With an offense like the Reds', he will probably win 15-16 games every year.

The only worry I had about latos was that he piches in a pitchers' park, and that coming to Cincy would inflate his ERA. But actually, his road ERA was better than at home, so I guess there's no need to worry there either.

I do still think the Reds gave up too much in this trade. It won't show up this year, because neither Grandal or Boxberger would've been on the major-league roster, but losing them will hurt in the future.

Still, if the goal of the trade was to make the Reds better in 2012, this trade ABSOLUTELY does that.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:^ Great, this was an incredibly dumb MOVE!!! Call the Cops, because San Diego just committed a crime

Calm down, Dusty! Confusedhh:

I do think San Diego got the better in this deal, but only because we gave up three solid prospects. You won't be disappointed in Latos, he is a stud who should combine with Cueto to give us a great 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ you really think that trading away some of the Reds best players for 1 good player is a good deal?
Strikeout King Wrote:^ you really think that trading away some of the Reds best players for 1 good player is a good deal?

Read me again. I said I thought that San Diego got the better of the deal, but only because I think we gave up too much in terms of young prospects.

But we didn't give up ANY of our best players, at least not as of right now. Volquez is trash, and Grandal and Boxberger wouldn't have been on the Reds' roster this season anyway. I do think Alonso will be a great hitter, but I still wouldn't call him one of the Reds' best players. He still would've ranked behind Votto, Bruce, Phillips, and Cueto at the very least.

No, we won't really feel the after-effects of this trade until 2013 and beyond.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
but everyone talked about how good Alonzo was gonna be before the 2011 season even started.

Why are the Reds even trading there prospects away to begin with? Why don't they take and try and build on their team with their prospects and have an awesome team in the future or are they trying to contend in 2012?
If you look at this deal in terms of only the 2012 season, you get this:

subtract: Volquez and Alonso
add: Latos

In terms of this upcoming season, this deal makes the Reds unquestionably better.

Plus, another added benefit is that dropping Volquez's salary saves the team about $4 million in salary, which they can hopefully use to sign a power-hitting left fielder.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ That's also true. But still I wouldn't have traded Alonzo
Strikeout King Wrote:but everyone talked about how good Alonzo was gonna be before the 2011 season even started.

Why are the Reds even trading there prospects away to begin with? Why don't they take and try and build on their team with their prospects and have an awesome team in the future or are they trying to contend in 2012?

Well, there is the big question, and seems the Reds gave us their answer: Win Now.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with the trade. I think they gave up too much, and I wouldn't have made this deal. But I do understand WHY they did it. Their philosophy is apparently to go for broke in 2012, and the future be damned.

But I will say if the goal is to make the team better next year, then mission accomplished.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strikeout King Wrote:^ That's also true. But still I wouldn't have traded Alonzo

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Alonso as a hitter. I was looking forward to seeing what he would do in a full season on the team. His only downside is that his left field defense sucks, but I was willing to overlook that because of his hitting.

But stud young pitchers don't come cheap, and Latos is just that. No matter what good starting pitcher we traded for this offseason (James Shields, Jair Jurrjens), the deal was always going to start with Yonder Alonso. You have to give up something to get something.

Incidentally, I would have made the trade of Alonso for Latos straight-up in a heartbeat. My problem is with sticking Grandal and Boxberger both into the deal as well. Adding one of those two other prospects would have been a bit much, trading both of them is way too much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow...Boy....This came out of leftfield.

I'll think about it and see how I feel.
I know why the Reds made this trade. Their gonna use Chapman as a Starter
With Pujols leaving, Braun dropping 50 games and the possibility of Fielder leaving Milwaukee I think it is a smart move to go for 2012.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Horrible trade!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Reds get their ace. I dont think Alonzo was a good fit and Volquez was headed to the bullpen. Grandal and Boxberger are players that may have help the reds in a couple of years, but getting a young ace is worth it.
Trading Alonso tells me the Reds are gonna sign (or already have ) Votto, to a long term contract....JMO
^ I honestly do not give the Reds that much credit. Votto had to take the deal that he got. He was smart to sign it for the length that he did and at the end of it, he becomes unrestricted. Thus, I do see Votto testing the market, and the Reds will have no fall-back option if he leaves
Yeah, after thinking about it a little more I'm not so bad on the trade.

Yes, we did give up a ton to land him...but look Grandal wasn't going to be our future everyday catcher (that would be Mesoraco), Boxberger while he does have alot of potential is unproven yet, Volquez just a major headcase, and then Alonso...I love Alonso but I guess Cincinnati just wasn't interested in him playing LF, therefore he too like Grandal is blocked at 1st base by Joey Votto.

Now Mat Latos, the good is he's 24...he's controlled for 4 years, he's a groundball pitcher (especially good in our hitter friendly ballpark).

Potential to be a #1 Ace.
I don't know if I give up Boxberger and Grandal, but I'm alright on the trade. I'd like to see the Reds pick up a solid hitter in left field
toussaints Wrote:I don't know if I give up Boxberger and Grandal, but I'm alright on the trade. I'd like to see the Reds pick up a solid hitter in left field

Rumor has it we might start talking to former Minnesota Twin Jason Kubel.

Had a off year last year, but the year before that he batted over .300 and drove in 100+ runs.
J-Rod Wrote:Rumor has it we might start talking to former Minnesota Twin Jason Kubel.

Had a off year last year, but the year before that he batted over .300 and drove in 100+ runs.

Kubel would be a great fit
toussaints Wrote:Kubel would be a great fit

Sure enough, as soon as I mentioned him.

He signed with Arizona. LOL!

So much for that idea.
J-Rod Wrote:Sure enough, as soon as I mentioned him.

He signed with Arizona. LOL!

So much for that idea.

I probably shouldn't mention that Cody Ross or Juan Pierre could be a solid pick up