Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painstville Baseball 2006 Part 2
The other thread just got way out of hand.. I had to move. If you continue you to dicuss this could we please remain somewhat civil.

Originally posted by trex
Quote: What are your thoughts on the Tigers next year.
I think Paintsville has alot of young talent and I feel that they will do pretty good this year. But I think in the next couple of years is when you will see the potential of some of these young stars.

Best wishes Paintsville. :Cheerlead
There is trouble this year, but the good thing is that everyone else is as well. So we are right back where we ended last year. A cluster f*** of Pikeville, JCHS,Paintsville, SCHS, ACHS, LCHS.
"FUPA" Wrote:There is trouble this year, but the good thing is that everyone else is as well. So we are right back where we ended last year. A cluster f*** of Pikeville, JCHS,Paintsville, SCHS, ACHS, LCHS.
I don't quite follow???:confused:
I have been very impressed with the quality of the practices so far!!! I like the way this team is taking shape, with the mixture of a few vets along with willing and enthusiastic youngsters!! I believe the intensity of practices will increase drastically when roundball is over and we get our whole team together!!!
Great job so far Coaches!!! Keep up the good work!
"The Guru" Wrote:I don't quite follow???:confused:
I mean that last year any team that I listed could have beat any team. It all depended on who was on the mound. Same for this year.
I think the thing that will hurt P-Ville is not having that one dominant pitcher like a couple other teams in the region. JC- Matt Fyffe Pikeville- Huffman SC- B-MAy/ B-Lafferty.
I could be mistaken, but i don't beleive that matt fyffe has been a dominating pitcher at the high school level thus far

He is very good against 15-16 yr olds.. that is a fact...he has potential to be dominating in HS and this being his junior year , quite possibly might be..
(great kid, great intensity, D-1 Potential) this season will reveal his ability.

Paintsville however does not have any pitchers returning with more than a scant few innings pitched at the high school level...but J.D. Vanhoose will step up this year and shane grimm and josh watkins will fill in with some good innings.

Corey Humphry, Jonathon Miller, Kevin Williams, Travis Ison and maybe Danial Pugh should provide support to this staff, and you may be suprised but Austin Lyons is throwing well early in this pre-season and could see an inning or two on the mound.

:beerwez:
Matt is going to pitch great this year... He will be a dominating pitcher..He has gained about 3 to 4 mph on his fast ball and his curve and slider has always been great. I still out of that list dont see a great pitcher for P-Ville.. I think Grimmy will be the best they have this season and he is a good pitcher but not a great one... As for Matt he hasnt had his chance to shine being Behind Blanton and Conley his whole Career. But know he has to be the man.. I think you will be suprised..

But dont get me wrong im not saying P-Ville wont be good they will they always are but tournaments and lack of pitching will hurt them.. Good luck to the Tigers this season...
I meant to take nothing away from matt fyffe and i agree that he has pitched in the shadows thus far in his high school carreer...this should be his Year! but remains to be seen... IMO J.D. Vanhoose has the most pitching """POTENTIAL""" on the young tiger staff.... and may be the key to a successful season on the mound...we will just have to see if any of those young tiger pitchers have already """PEAKED""" or not... and how many quality innings we can get from the bullpin....
"shelf" Wrote:I meant to take nothing away from matt fyffe and i agree that he has pitched in the shadows thus far in his high school carreer...this should be his Year! but remains to be seen... IMO J.D. Vanhoose has the most pitching """POTENTIAL""" on the young tiger staff.... and may be the key to a successful season on the mound...we will just have to see if any of those young tiger pitchers have already """PEAKED""" or not... and how many quality innings we can get from the bullpin....
I agree on the potential but i have never seen JD pitch.. Im sure he is good he is a great athlete..
"Hard Hitter" Wrote:I agree on the potential but i have never seen JD pitch.. Im sure he is good he is a great athlete..
How do you know what kinda potential he has if you have never seen him pitch?
"Hard Hitter" Wrote:Matt is going to pitch great this year... He will be a dominating pitcher..He has gained about 3 to 4 mph on his fast ball and his curve and slider has always been great. I still out of that list dont see a great pitcher for P-Ville.. I think Grimmy will be the best they have this season and he is a good pitcher but not a great one... As for Matt he hasnt had his chance to shine being Behind Blanton and Conley his whole Career. But know he has to be the man.. I think you will be suprised..

But dont get me wrong im not saying P-Ville wont be good they will they always are but tournaments and lack of pitching will hurt them.. Good luck to the Tigers this season...
He is a good pitcher but I doubt that anyone can add that kind of milage to their fast ball in one yeasr unless they have had bad mechanics in the past.and he has never had bad mechanics or you cant tell how hard any one is throwing just by looking . You have to have a radar gun checking you. How do you know that he is throwing that much harder? I do think that Central with have the best pitching staff in the district and possibly the region this year with him and Justin anyways for what it's worth. JD was a pretty good pitcher when he was in 8th grade and then he hurt his arm in all stars and didn't pitch last year. I hope he bounces back this year.Grimmy just pouts to much for me to take him serious.
J.D. pitched as a 13 and 14 year old and pitched a few innings high school in 2005.

I think his Arm is in good condition and he will have a good sophmore season.
"rockhouse" Wrote:How do you know what kinda potential he has if you have never seen him pitch?
Because he is a great athlete he has potential to be good at anything
[quote author=rockhouse link=topic=20302.msg202491#msg202491 date=1141404089]
"Hard Hitter" Wrote:Matt is going to pitch great this year... He will be a dominating pitcher..He has gained about 3 to 4 mph on his fast ball and his curve and slider has always been great. I still out of that list dont see a great pitcher for P-Ville.. I think Grimmy will be the best they have this season and he is a good pitcher but not a great one... As for Matt he hasnt had his chance to shine being Behind Blanton and Conley his whole Career. But know he has to be the man.. I think you will be suprised..

He is a good pitcher but I doubt that anyone can add that kind of milage to their fast ball in one yeasr unless they have had bad mechanics in the past.and he has never had bad mechanics or you cant tell how hard any one is throwing just by looking . You have to have a radar gun checking you. How do you know that he is throwing that much harder? I do think that Central with have the best pitching staff in the district and possibly the region this year with him and Justin anyways for what it's worth. JD was a pretty good pitcher when he was in 8th grade and then he hurt his arm in all stars and didn't pitch last year. I hope he bounces back this year.Grimmy just pouts to much for me to take him serious.
[/quote]
I heard it was because he wasn't getting to play SS over the young twin.
Why is it that we cant talk about just Paintsville or JCHS without talking about the other. LOL. Anyway, Paintsville is hurting with pitching. I think Watkins may be there best pitcher, but that is a little off the wall. As for the Matt Fyffe kid at JCHS. I think he will be a little more rocky then people think. He is now the ACE, he will now be playing against other teams ACE, not something that I think he will make a great transition to. I would look for him to have a rocky start and then flourish towards the end of the season.
P-BURG RULES WE ARE THE BEST
[quote author=shelf link=topic=20302.msg202419#msg202419 date=1141396905]
I could be mistaken, but i don't beleive that matt fyffe has been a dominating pitcher at the high school level thus far

He is very good against 15-16 yr olds.. that is a fact...he has potential to be dominating in HS and this being his junior year , quite possibly might be..
(great kid, great intensity, D-1 Potential) this season will reveal his ability.

Paintsville however does not have any pitchers returning with more than a scant few innings pitched at the high school level...but J.D. Vanhoose will step up this year and shane grimm and josh watkins will fill in with some good innings.

Corey Humphry, Jonathon Miller, Kevin Williams, Travis Ison and maybe Danial Pugh should provide support to this staff, and you may be suprised but Austin Lyons is throwing well early in this pre-season and could see an inning or two on the mound.

:beerwez:
[/quote]

Dominating?  Ask Hazard when he was a freshman.  I thing he came in and shut down Christian Co. in the final four as a freshman.  He was basically JC's #1 last year with Conley and Blanton being hurt most of the year.  He did see a lot of other #1's as he was Central's #1 most of the year.  If Central can score some runs we will see how dominant this kid can be.  If he works hard then the sky is the limit. 
its been awhile since i have ripped ant ass on here lately.  i just want to let everyone know that prestonsburg is going to rip your a** this year. cant wait to put one out of the park against any paintsville player
Will J.D. actually pitch this year or will he still have arm problems?  I am going to guess and say that Lyons will end up on the mound and probably Rice too.  I think it will be a disaster if Daniel Pugh doesn't pitch.  When he was 12 he was the best pitcher in that group but wasn't allowed to pitch in all-stars.  I think he has the potential to be Paintsville's ace this year because he will work hard at it.  I can't believe he hasn't been given some innings the last few years.  He is the best athlete in Paintsville High School.  Do you think if he had been playing the last few years somewhere else that he would have pitching.... I think so....
[quote author=Eagle89 link=topic=20302.msg207163#msg207163 date=1141916644]
Will J.D. actually pitch this year or will he still have arm problems?  I am going to guess and say that Lyons will end up on the mound and probably Rice too.   I think it will be a disaster if Daniel Pugh doesn't pitch.  When he was 12 he was the best pitcher in that group but wasn't allowed to pitch in all-stars.   I think he has the potential to be Paintsville's ace this year because he will work hard at it.   I can't believe he hasn't been given some innings the last few years.   He is the best athlete in Paintsville High School.  Do you think if he had been playing the last few years somewhere else that he would have pitching.... I think so....
[/quote]Grim was the best pitcher when they were 12 , not Pugh.

He never worked on it before why do you think he will start now.Coach Adkins tried to pitch Daniel when he was younger and he was terrible. He would either throw it over the backstop or throw it 15 feet in front of the plate and at that time his arm was preetty weak. The thing that hurt daniel is that he never played junior league or senior league because either him or his dad one thought that he was to good to play with the rest of the guys.just an ego deal all the way around. He could have made a good pitcher maybe if he had worked on it but he didn't work on baseball the first bit. Dont come back with he was working on football junk either because that is not the reason why.JUst because you are a good athlete doesnt mean you can be a  good pitcher .its all coming back to haunt him now.
[quote author=Eagle89 link=topic=20302.msg207163#msg207163 date=1141916644]
Will J.D. actually pitch this year or will he still have arm problems? I am going to guess and say that Lyons will end up on the mound and probably Rice too. I think it will be a disaster if Daniel Pugh doesn't pitch. When he was 12 he was the best pitcher in that group but wasn't allowed to pitch in all-stars. I think he has the potential to be Paintsville's ace this year because he will work hard at it. I can't believe he hasn't been given some innings the last few years. He is the best athlete in Paintsville High School. Do you think if he had been playing the last few years somewhere else that he would have pitching.... I think so....
[/quote]

Daniel is great athlete, but are you trying to say that Hall of Fame coach didn't know what he was doing? 
I watch Daniel pitch the entire year when he was 12, and I have to disagree with you that Grim was a better pitcher.  I think Daniel threw the ball harder and he was more feared that year.  I know that you are not going to agree with that, but several kids in the league that year would have ten times rather faced Grimm than Pugh.
[quote author=Eagle89 link=topic=20302.msg207234#msg207234 date=1141921714]
I watch Daniel pitch the entire year when he was 12, and I have to disagree with you that Grim was a better pitcher.  I think Daniel threw the ball harder and he was more feared that year.   I know that you are not going to agree with that, but several kids in the league that year would have ten times rather faced Grimm than Pugh.
[/quote]Your right , I dont agree at all. Grim has not gotten a lot better as time has gone on but he's not worked on that much either. But when they were both in LL, Grim was alot better pitcher . Maybe it's because he is left handed,Idk because they are harder for most people to hit off of.. But he was definately the better of the 2 at that time. He didnt strike fear in anybody unless it was some of the 9 or 10 year olds. Noone of the good 11 and 12 year olds were afraid of him. The truth is that neither Grim or Pugh was not the best 12 year old. It was Matt Fyffe but Grim was better than Pugh. If Daniel was so interested and would work on something all that much he would have played with the rest of the guys in the summer. Like I said it has all been a big ego deal with him and his dad. He is a good athlete , maybe the best at Paintsville but he does have some big ego problems.  He played SS in LL too because his dad was always his coach. But when his dad was not his coach and everyone else coached him he didnt play SS or pitch either one. Explain that to me. I guess your saying that not only did coach Adkins did not know what he was doing but nobody else does either.You just dont automaticly become a good pitcher in high school without ever working on it. If you think that Pugh is a great athlete I will agree with you on that 100% but that does not mean is is a good pitcher and that dont mean hes gods gift to the baseball field. Your insulting all of the other guys who have worlked hard to be good ones with your comments, and I along with everyone else resent that. Like I told you before Adkins tried to pitch him and he was awful.
[quote author=rockhouse link=topic=20302.msg207247#msg207247 date=1141922870]
I watch Daniel pitch the entire year when he was 12, and I have to disagree with you that Grim was a better pitcher.  I think Daniel threw the ball harder and he was more feared that year.  I know that you are not going to agree with that, but several kids in the league that year would have ten times rather faced Grimm than Pugh.
[/quote]Your right , I dont agree at all. Grim has not gotten a lot better as time has gone on but he's not worked on that much either. But when they were both in LL, Grim was alot better pitcher . Maybe it's because he is left handed,Idk because they are harder for most people to hit off of.. But he was definately the better of the 2 at that time. He didnt strike fear in anybody unless it was some of the 9 or 10 year olds. Noone of the good 11 and 12 year olds were afraid of him. The truth is that neither Grim or Pugh was not the best 12 year old. It was Matt Fyffe but Grim was better than Pugh. If Daniel was so interested and would work on something all that much he would have played with the rest of the guys in the summer. Like I said it has all been a big ego deal with him and his dad. He is a good athlete , maybe the best at Paintsville but he does have some big ego problems. He played SS in LL too because his dad was always his coach. But when his dad was not his coach and everyone else coached him he didnt play SS or pitch either one. Explain that to me. I guess your saying that not only did coach Adkins did not know what he was doing but nobody else does either.You just dont automaticly become a good pitcher in high school without ever working on it. If you think that Pugh is a great athlete I will agree with you on that 100% but that does not mean is is a good pitcher and that dont mean hes gods gift to the baseball field. Your insulting all of the other guys who have worlked hard to be good ones with your comments, and I along with everyone else resent that. Like I told you before Adkins tried to pitch him and he was awful.
[/quote]

Guys they were 12, a lot changes in a few years.  Also I am getting tired of hearing about Daniel and his "ego" problem.  He is the ideal team player. Ask any  coach worth their weight in salt, if they would want a team full of players like him, the answer is yes  You say he has an ego problem but he had no problem moving to the outfield last year to help the team. How many players with an ego problem would have left the infield and moved to the outfield ansewer = zero.  If Coach Howard thinks the team is better off with him at SS, 3rd, LF,Catcher, Pitcher, or CF, Daniel will play that position and be very good both at the plate and in the field. I agree that not all athletes are good pitchers but thats not taking anything away from Daniel. When you play 3 sports its hard to become a great pitcher because it demands so much practice. Who cares if he doesn't play summer ball?  He has been the starting QB for Paintsville since he was a freshman so he probably thought it would be in the best interests of the school football team for him to be at 2-a-days. Trust me if he wasn't a team player he would have played baseball just to miss 2-a-days.  And no I'm not saying that kids that do play summer baseball aren't team players, in way they are team players also because they are risking getting knocked out of positions due to lack of practice time. So please stop with the Daniel "ego talk" because once you look at the facts the arguement holds no water. 
I watch Daniel pitch the entire year when he was 12, and I have to disagree with you that Grim was a better pitcher.  I think Daniel threw the ball harder and he was more feared that year.   I know that you are not going to agree with that, but several kids in the league that year would have ten times rather faced Grimm than Pugh.
[/quote]

LMAO!!! I readf this post and about got choked!!! I too saw every pitch he threw as a 12 year old, 11 year old, most that he threw as a 10 year old!! He did throw hard, and he was definately feared!!! But it was because, he threw hard, and had no problems with putting one in someone's earhole!!! And that wasn't where he wanted it to go!!
DP is a great athlete, and just as, if not better than a great person!!! Consumate team player!!
[quote author=2000PHS link=topic=20302.msg207265#msg207265 date=1141924093]
[quote author=rockhouse link=topic=20302.msg207247#msg207247 date=1141922870]
[/quote]Your right , I dont agree at all. Grim has not gotten a lot better as time has gone on but he's not worked on that much either. But when they were both in LL, Grim was alot better pitcher . Maybe it's because he is left handed,Idk because they are harder for most people to hit off of.. But he was definately the better of the 2 at that time. He didnt strike fear in anybody unless it was some of the 9 or 10 year olds. Noone of the good 11 and 12 year olds were afraid of him. The truth is that neither Grim or Pugh was not the best 12 year old. It was Matt Fyffe but Grim was better than Pugh. If Daniel was so interested and would work on something all that much he would have played with the rest of the guys in the summer. Like I said it has all been a big ego deal with him and his dad. He is a good athlete , maybe the best at Paintsville but he does have some big ego problems. He played SS in LL too because his dad was always his coach. But when his dad was not his coach and everyone else coached him he didnt play SS or pitch either one. Explain that to me. I guess your saying that not only did coach Adkins did not know what he was doing but nobody else does either.You just dont automaticly become a good pitcher in high school without ever working on it. If you think that Pugh is a great athlete I will agree with you on that 100% but that does not mean is is a good pitcher and that dont mean hes gods gift to the baseball field. Your insulting all of the other guys who have worlked hard to be good ones with your comments, and I along with everyone else resent that. Like I told you before Adkins tried to pitch him and he was awful.
[/quote]

Guys they were 12, a lot changes in a few years.  Also I am getting tired of hearing about Daniel and his "ego" problem.  He is the ideal team player. Ask any  coach worth their weight in salt, if they would want a team full of players like him, the answer is yes  You say he has an ego problem but he had no problem moving to the outfield last year to help the team. How many players with an ego problem would have left the infield and moved to the outfield ansewer = zero.  If Coach Howard thinks the team is better off with him at SS, 3rd, LF,Catcher, Pitcher, or CF, Daniel will play that position and be very good both at the plate and in the field. I agree that not all athletes are good pitchers but thats not taking anything away from Daniel. When you play 3 sports its hard to become a great pitcher because it demands so much practice. Who cares if he doesn't play summer ball?  He has been the starting QB for Paintsville since he was a freshman so he probably thought it would be in the best interests of the school football team for him to be at 2-a-days. Trust me if he wasn't a team player he would have played baseball just to miss 2-a-days.  And no I'm not saying that kids that do play summer baseball aren't team players, in way they are team players also because they are risking getting knocked out of positions due to lack of practice time. So please stop with the Daniel "ego talk" because once you look at the facts the arguement holds no water. 
[/quote] Your right when you play 3 sports it is hard to be real good at all of them. Maybe that has something to do with it but Chas Harmon played all 3 and a bunch of other guys did to but they all played summer baseball to and were some good pitchers because they worked on their baseball game to. Daniel has never proven to be as good as Chas was either has he.I played football and baseball both in the summer and the best I remember 2 a dys did not start until the end of July. There was plenty of time to play baseball if he had wanted to. Tell the truth on this , Daniel did not play summer ball becuse him and his dad both thought that JL and SL was beneath him. Everybody including the players knew exactly why he wasnt playing with the rest of them so what your saying is garbage. Pugh played Centerfield because that is where coach Adkins told him to play and it was either his way or the highway. If he wanted to play he didnt have a choice. Dont start this for the good of the team junk. Daniel is a little younger than me and he never personally never did anything to me but that dont mean that I am blind and stupid to. If Daniel does not want to play summer ball  with everyone else then that is fine just dont go on and on about how great he is at pitching and how great he is at baseball because he's not. He is pretty good but nothing near what some of you guys are making him sound like. I just get tired of a lot of hard working kids get the shaft that has worked there tails off to be good at baseball and then you have some premadonna that never done crap get the glory . Sorry for getting all worked up but its all the truth. I am a Tiger will always be a tiger but I aint afraid to tell it like it is and give the best players and the hardest workers the credit they deserve. Daniel just dont deserve the credit in this case. Maybe in football yes, not in baseball.
Daniel is a four sport athlete mind you. He boxes as well, and I'm pretty sure that was the sport he was working on in the time period of Junior and Senior League. Chas Harmon was a good QB, but I don't think he was near the QB that Daniel Pugh is, just my honest opinion.
[quote author=MOJO link=topic=20302.msg207309#msg207309 date=1141929205]
Daniel is a four sport athlete mind you. He boxes as well, and I'm pretty sure that was the sport he was working on in the time period of Junior and Senior League. Chas Harmon was a good QB, but I don't think he was near the QB that Daniel Pugh is, just my honest opinion.
[/quote]I guess to are entitled to have your opinion and if he wants to play 20 sports then that is all fine and dandy. Just dont go on and on about how great he is at pitching or baseball in general because you think he was good when he was 12 years old. How ggod you are when your 12 and how good you are when you are a junior in high school has nothing to do with the other. If you think he is a better QB than Chas then I guess you have the riht to think so but it's not true. Daniel is more physical than Chas but Chas could throw rings around him. I know all about what Chas could do on the football field. Chas was also a better basketball player and a heck of a lot better baseball player. Its like daylight and dark. At least Chas didnt think he was better than the rest of us.

You can throw your comment about boxing out the window as to why he did not play baseball with the other guys all these years because he just started boxing a year or year and a half ago. He and his dad thought it was beneath him and thats the honest truth.  You know its the truth just like I do. At least be courageous enough to speak the truth on the matter.