Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KBA 6th Grade State Championship
Yes majority of kids are held back. Not a thing wrong with being held back.
southern ky aau Wrote:yes majority of kids are held back. Not a thing wrong with being held back.

if holding kids back ever catches on in jefferson county the rest of the state would get pummeled
When I was in high school, I did not turn 17 until December of my senior year. I played my senior year of football at only 16 and could have been playing against 19 year olds. I was at such a disadvantage due to maturity and strength, so I chose not to let this happen to my child.
I agree with you 100%, load of crap. I guess the Pulaski schools are dominant in Middle School football and basketball because they are superior athletes. It has nothing to do with a 10-11 year old 6th grader competing against a 12-13 year old 6th grader. All I can say is enjoy your success now and enjoy your state titles while you have the advantage. I am tired of hearing the one more year of development excuse, if the student is not being held back because of a illiness or academics they need to move on. Most schools that I know of will not allow this to go on and the schools that do should not be allowed to compete in Middle School Athletics.
I do not know what Pulaski county schools do, but I do know that a lot of kids get held back all over the state. Being held back has become more and more popular over the years. Therefore in order to compete I do believe that it helps if you have holdbacks. We live in Kentucky where we do not have very many Division 1 basketball players, part of that is due to the fact that we have kids graduating at 16 and 17 compared to the rest of the nation who holds their kids back and are division 1 caliber players because they are graduating at 18-19 years old.
Pikeville 6th grade did win the BCI tournament in Louisville the 14th and 15th
If you have a 10 year old 6th grader he will be a 16 year old senior, not a good idea. 99 percent of the time it will be 11 year olds( non- holdbacks) playing against 12 year (hold backs). Not the 10-13 range you are making it out to be. In your defense there are a hand full of 13 year old 6th graders but very few. The ones turning 13 are still just a year older because the 11 year olds are turning 12. The year advantage is a big one though but its not a 3 year advantage like you made it sound to me when I read it.
It's has been a good weekend so far for JCTMS
I have seen Southern play this year. They are a very good team.
Southern Pulaski won it.

Congrats to the Warriors! :Clap:
Congrats to Southern. One of the better teams I seen this year.
I am not familiar with what Pulaski co schools do either but, I would like to see some facts about the rest of the nation holding back kids and how this equates to them having more D1 players than Ky.
I do know that being "held" back is not allowed in Shelby County due the board of education not allowing this to occur...So, why does other Board of Educations allow this and some don't????? For what it's worth, I just didn't start my kid until later, he is now 7 and in 1st grade, so he will graduate high school right before he turns 19.....There are other ways around holding them back, just don't start them when they are suppose too...
Southern Pulaski won a 6th grade tournament with 13 6th graders.
If someone wanted to play in a 12 and under, 11 and under or 10 and under tournament, then they should have played somewhere else this past weekend.
Southern is hands downs the best 6th grade team in Kentucky. I have heard that Northern Pulaski and Meece had a couple nice players as well. My question would be: What if the 4 from Southern teamed up with the 2 from Northern Pulaski and the other 1 from Meece? Can anyone say state championship for back to back to back seasons?
I saw southern pulaskis team this weekend. They are well coached to be sure. But anyone who thinks that putting really good 13 and 14 year olds on the floor against mostly 11 and 12 year olds is not a huge advantage is fooling themselves. I think alot of the frustration comes from other teams who are good in their own right, but cant get by those teams. But talent catches up by mid high school. And the pulaskis of the world better be prepared for when these other "talented" teams want revenge on the court for those juvenile basketball beatings they got.
I don't understand why everyone fusses about holdbacks. First I wouldn't hold my kid back for sports only but it isn't breaking any type of rules. Look outside of sports; is the kids today really able to survive on their own at age of 17 or even 18 for that matter. I very seriously doubt it. This is kind of like saying; it's not fair if Union College plays Kentucky. Both teams are around the same age but the talent just isn't there for Union. I will grant that 1 year does make a big difference but why cry about it when you have the same chance to hold back your child.
I agree with you that holdbacks are a huge advantage but only if they can play. I see a lot of holdbacks that you would never suspect have been heldback. I was at the kba this weekend and kept hearing people say that southern was playing 14 year olds. THEY DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE 14 YEAR OLD. they do have some 13 year olds. You are correct that it all catches up by middle of high school if not sooner in some cases but in others it makes a huge difference in the kids confidence and work ethic to be a year older. If people don't like the rule don't blame southern or about 100 other schools get ur concerns heard and get the rules changed.
I know this is 6th grade thread but does anybody think southerns 7th grade got a shot at back to back state titles. It will be some of the same players that played in the 6th added with the bunch that won 6th last year.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:if holding kids back ever catches on in jefferson county the rest of the state would get pummeled
Holding back has been around for a while in Louisville and it has really benefited some. One holdback is Quinton Snider of Ballard. He is the top players in the class of 2014 and has verbally committed to the Univ. of Louisville Cardinals. Another holdback or late starter is Darryl Hicks the #1 player in the class of 2013. He has been given offers from Indiana, Arizona, Cincinnati, and Western Kentucky. So lets review: 2 kids from Louisville... both are the best in their class... and they are both considered holdbacks. Hmmm...
SMOOTH Wrote:I agree with you 100%, load of crap. I guess the Pulaski schools are dominant in Middle School football and basketball because they are superior athletes. It has nothing to do with a 10-11 year old 6th grader competing against a 12-13 year old 6th grader. All I can say is enjoy your success now and enjoy your state titles while you have the advantage. I am tired of hearing the one more year of development excuse, if the student is not being held back because of a illiness or academics they need to move on. Most schools that I know of will not allow this to go on and the schools that do should not be allowed to compete in Middle School Athletics.
Holding a child back happens all over the state/ country and it is the parents choice to follow the rules given to them by the KHSAA. I am not necessarily an advocate of holding a child back, but I am not going to complain because a child cannot keep up with others in his or her class. If the parents believe holding their child back will benefit the child's self esteem, success, or any other reason to better their future, by all mean hold them back. Southwestern will continue to be successful as long as they continue to put in the hard work in the gym. Plain and simple. Congratulation to Southern Middle on their accomplishment.
b1gblu3sports Wrote:Southern is hands downs the best 6th grade team in Kentucky. I have heard that Northern Pulaski and Meece had a couple nice players as well. My question would be: What if the 4 from Southern teamed up with the 2 from Northern Pulaski and the other 1 from Meece? Can anyone say state championship for back to back to back seasons?

2 of the better Southern 6th graders actually started with the boys from the North for several years in elementary school. They were the original Generation Next and were pretty much unbeatable in KY. I believe they did always play up a grade which has obviously benefited them greatly. Saw them several times in the Georgetown Tournament. They were coached by the Pulaski Co. Athletic director.
After reading both sides of the holdback debate, how come only boys seem to be affected by this? Do girls at this age not have these same issues? And if so would they not benefit from the same treatment? hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I dont have a kid in middle school but I was wondering does any one know exactly what age a kid is supposed to be in any certian grade.Does the ky board of education mandate a definite age for any grade.If they dont the hold back argument is a moot subject.
I do not know what each Board of Education mandates for ages. I know in Laurel County a special needs child can attend the Special Education classes until they are 21.
The KHSAA's handbook states the follow:

Sec. 1) Age Restriction
Pursuant to KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes nineteen
(19) years old before August 1 shall be ineligible for interscholastic
athletic competition. A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or
after August 1 shall remain eligible for the entire school year.

So as long as a student is 18 on July 31st of his senior year, then he will be eligible for the entire year.

When you consider a sixth grader, as long as they are 12 on July 31st, they are eligible to play. So they could turn 13 on or after August 1st and would be an eligible player.
ky playmaker Wrote:I agree with you that holdbacks are a huge advantage but only if they can play. I see a lot of holdbacks that you would never suspect have been heldback. I was at the kba this weekend and kept hearing people say that southern was playing 14 year olds. THEY DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE 14 YEAR OLD. they do have some 13 year olds. You are correct that it all catches up by middle of high school if not sooner in some cases but in others it makes a huge difference in the kids confidence and work ethic to be a year older. If people don't like the rule don't blame southern or about 100 other schools get ur concerns heard and get the rules changed.

We are talking about a 6th grade tournament..... correct. I would hope there would not be any athletes the age of 14 on this team and there really should not be any athletes the age of 13 on here either. We have one of the best 7th grade teams in our area and most of the kids on this team are 12. The only real problem I have is when a 6th grade team loaded with 13 year old players beat down a bunch of schools with the appropriate age kids and then stick their chest out about their accomplishments and talk High School state titles. GET YOUR TEAM OUT OF THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE TOURNAMENT AND LET THEM COMPETE IN THE AAU DIVISION 1 NATIONAL TOURNAMENT AND THEN WE WILL SEE HOW GOOD THEY REALLY ARE. THE KBA SHOULD BE ASHAMED THAT THEY ALLOW THIS TO GO ON.
first of all the kba has nothing to do with it. they just host the tourny and if all the kids are legal they are legal nothing they can do about it. Look back at atleast the last 2 years div 1 state aau tournys you will find these kids champs in those 2 and they have won at the national level 2 and I am sure if you want to bring your 7th grade team and play them they won't mind. Give them a call they will be more than happy to play.
SMOOTH Wrote:We are talking about a 6th grade tournament..... correct. I would hope there would not be any athletes the age of 14 on this team and there really should not be any athletes the age of 13 on here either. We have one of the best 7th grade teams in our area and most of the kids on this team are 12. The only real problem I have is when a 6th grade team loaded with 13 year old players beat down a bunch of schools with the appropriate age kids and then stick their chest out about their accomplishments and talk High School state titles. GET YOUR TEAM OUT OF THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE TOURNAMENT AND LET THEM COMPETE IN THE AAU DIVISION 1 NATIONAL TOURNAMENT AND THEN WE WILL SEE HOW GOOD THEY REALLY ARE. THE KBA SHOULD BE ASHAMED THAT THEY ALLOW THIS TO GO ON.
And the KHSAA should be ashamed for letting holdbacks play in the state tournament? If the kids are in 6th grade and do not turn 13 before August 1, he/she will be eligible for the next 6 years. Why are you blaming the KBA? It was a 6th grade state tournament.
Khsaa Is the problem not the teams with hold backs. I would like to see the rule changed to 17 before Aug.1st instead of 18. Like alot have posted some schools will not hold kids back for sports no matter what. And this would at least limit the age advantage to 1yr. I'm sure there has been a lot of good ballers lost to demorilization under the current rules. But as for now it is the rules. If you want to be competive try to get your school to allow holding kids back for athletics or petition the Khsaa to lower the age standard. Just my 2 cents.