Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Jordan thinks only Kobe Bryant deserves comparisons
Ever since Michael Jordan retired — all three times, really — the NBA has searched for the heir to his throne. Many players have popped up as pretenders to the throne, from Harold Miner to Jerry Stackhouse to Vince Carter. In recent years, people have stopped trying to find a clone and just searched for a similarly dominant great player. If you ever wondered why LeBron James is seen as such a failure, a lot of it has to do with his inability to meet the example set by Jordan.
There are many great players in the NBA these days, most of whom have never been directly compared to Jordan. Nevertheless, His Airness says only one player comes close enough to his greatness to merit the comparison. Not surprisingly, that player is Kobe Bryant. Here's what Roland Lazenby, a great writer currently working on a Jordan book, tweeted on Sunday (via PBT):
[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/michael-jordan-thinks-only-kobe-bryant-deserves-comparisons-222702003.html"]
Read More...[/URL]
Jordan vs. Kobe

Career profiles

Jordan- 6 Titles (MVP in each), 5 MVP's, 14 All-Star, 10 score titles, 9 All-defense teams,
Bryant- 5 Titles (MVP in two), 1 MVP, 13 All-Star, 2 score titles, 11 All-defense teams,

Career Stats

Bryant - 28330

Rebounds
Jordan - 6672
Bryant - 5915

Assists
Jordan - 5633
Bryant - 5236

Steals
Jordan - 2514
Bryant - 1673

Blocks
Jordan - 893
Bryant - 583

Career %'s (Rounded to make only two numbers)
FG %
Jordan - 50% 24,537 attempts
Bryant - 45% 21,743 attempts

3PT FG%
Jordan - 33% 1778 attempts
Bryant - 34% 4251 attempts

FT%
Jordan - 84% 8772 attempts
Bryant - 84% 8519 attempts
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Considering the fact that Jordan is the greatest player I have ever seen, and as much as I REALLY do not like Kobe, he is the closest we have seen since. If Lebron goes on a title winning streak, maybe, but right now............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hate em both so i dont consider either worthy of recognition.

I honestly believe Jordan was the best INIVIDUAL that i have seen however for people to say he was the greatest thing ever an always will be is absurd. There is no way to know if some of the player of today and in the future could be better.

What would Jordan look like if he didnt have the bulls teams he had and played in todays game?
I think it would look very similar to his wizards days...
Jordan is the best player of today with Kobe right on this tail. I seriously doubt LeBron, Wade, CP3, Blake Griffin come close to Jordan. LeBron is in his 8th Season. Wade is also in his 8th Season but he does have a Championship, MVP. Those players are good but of today's time there's only 2 Great ones and that's Kobe and Jordan and Kobe will probably be better than Jordan But like RunItUpTheGut said we don't know if there's a player(s) in the future that are gonna be better than these 2
^I think Jordan will still remain on top when all is said and done.
Kobe can pass a handful of Jordan's stats but
The Lakers have a tall task in front of them when it comes to getting a few more rings.
Kobe has been to the finals more than Jordan, but he fell to the Pistons dream run with that high pressure defense and the first Big 3 in Boston.

It's crazy how similar their stats are.
What's the finals MVP Comparisons?
^Not close at all. However, Scottie deserved at least one of those.

I will say this though, Jordan was THE MAN on all the title teams. Kobe's first 2-3 Shaq was clearly THE MAN.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it's scary that when both guys were in their prime they were not winning titles. Kobe was at the peek of his career when he was by himself, they year he scored 81 in one game. And Jordan with the scoring titles and 30+ppg(which was before Pippen).

My father laughs when I tell him I think Kobe is a top 10 all-time player. My father thinks Bird is better than Jordan. But Kobe is one of the all-time greats and so is Jordan. Folks can make cases for Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russel, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe.

Russel is the greatest of his era, Jordan in his era, Magic and Bird in that era, and Kobe in his era. But they are all great players.
^I only disagree with one thing. Jordan's career PPG average is 30.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think they are in the same league, but I don't think Kobe will ever be close to Jordan. Every time you hear anyone talk about Jordan, the talk about the fire he had for the game. The way he pushed himself and his teammates, and demanded nothing short of perfection from them and himself was unmatched. This is the area that Kobe and everyone else that gets compared to Jordan falls short...way, way short.
WALL2WALL Wrote:I think it's scary that when both guys were in their prime they were not winning titles. Kobe was at the peek of his career when he was by himself, they year he scored 81 in one game. And Jordan with the scoring titles and 30+ppg(which was before Pippen).

My father laughs when I tell him I think Kobe is a top 10 all-time player. My father thinks Bird is better than Jordan. But Kobe is one of the all-time greats and so is Jordan. Folks can make cases for Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russel, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe.

Russel is the greatest of his era, Jordan in his era, Magic and Bird in that era, and Kobe in his era. But they are all great players.

This came off the top of your head and is completely FALSE. Lies! No Truth!

Jordan Averaged 35 pts per game Pippens first year. And then 30+ 5 seasons in a row afterwards. Retired came back and when the next season started again he averaged 30. So im not for sure what your talking about. Jordan Averaged 33+ in the playoffs. With 6 rebounds and 5 assist.
Kobe Bryant is one of the best players in the NBA, but for me it comes down to Air Jordan always finding a way to win and always being the best player on his team every year. Michael didn't have the offensively gifted big men that Black Mamba had to draw fouls and keep the opposing team in the penalty.

Today's NBA is a little "softer" than it was in MJ's day, where it seems the refs blow the whistle for any kinda of contact, the hand checking rule, and the whole Tim Donaghy scandal. It's not Kobe's fault he can't help how the NBA has changed, but I'm sticking with MJ as the best pound-for-pound player—but if you disagree feel free to leave me a comment.

Career Playoff stats

Kobe 27ppg 5.7reb 5.0ast 1.5stl 0.7blk FG 45.2% 3PT 33.7% FT 84.2% 3.1 TO's (as a starter)

MJ 33.4ppg 6.4reb 5.7ast 2.1stl 0.9blk FG 48.7% 3PT 33.3% FT 82.8% 3.0 TO's

Kobe: Best playoff year 30.1ppg 5.7reb 5.6ast 1.6stl 0.3blk FG 47.9 FT 80.9 3.3 TO's

MJ : Worst playoff year 29.3ppg 5.8reb 8.5ast 2.7stl 1.0blk FG 43.6% FT 82.8 3.7TO's (This was MJ's Rookie year!!!)

NBA Finals Points Per Game Field, Goal Percentage, and Result

Kobe

2000 finals 15.6 ppg 36.2% WIN
2001 finals 24.6 ppg 41.6% WIN
2002 finals 26.7 ppg 50.6% WIN
2004 finals 22.6 ppg 37.0% LOSS
2008 finals 25.6 ppg 40.6% LOSS
2009 finals 32.4 ppg 43.1% WIN
2010 finals 28.6 ppg 40.8% WIN

Total: 25.2ppg 41.1%

Michael *
1991 finals 31.2 ppg 57.6% Win
1992 finals 32.4 ppg 52.8% Win
1993 finals 41.0 ppg 51.0% Win
1996 finals 27.3ppg 41.1% Win
1997 finals 32.3ppg 45.6% Win
1998 finals 33.3ppg 43.3% Win

Total: 33.0ppg 48.6%

* MJ never played in a game seven

Best Teammate in the Playoffs During Winning Seasons

Kobe: Shaq 30ppg 14.5reb 3.0ast 2.5blk FG 55% average for 2000, 2001, 2002

Pau Gasol 19ppg 11.0reb 3.0ast 2.0blk FG 56% average for 2009, 2010

MJ : Scottie Pippen 20.4ppg 8.2reb 6ast 2.1stl 0.9blk FG 47.9% FT 73% averaged for 1991, 1992, 1993

Scottie Pippen 17.5ppg 7.4reb 4.9ast 2.0stl .09blk FG 40.7% FT 70% averaged for 1996, 1997, 1998

Playoff X-Factors During Winning Seasons :

Kobe: Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest

MJ : Bill Cartwright, Horace Grant, John Paxson, Tony Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, Ron Harper

Finals MVP :

Kobe: 2

MJ : 6
^wow!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Woah, nobody is saying Kobe is better, just the closest. And that's the true. If anybody should make a conclusion in this subject, it should be His Airness.
Love or hate him, Kobe is without a doubt the second best 2 guard ever, and a top 5-10 player.
This is the highest praise MJ could ever give a player.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I hate em both so i dont consider either worthy of recognition.

I honestly believe Jordan was the best INIVIDUAL that i have seen however for people to say he was the greatest thing ever an always will be is absurd. There is no way to know if some of the player of today and in the future could be better.

What would Jordan look like if he didnt have the bulls teams he had and played in todays game?
I think it would look very similar to his wizards days...

Just because you hate them, don't mean he's not worthy, lol.
I strongly dislike Peyton Manning, but I'd be considered a fool not putting him in the top 10 QB's of all time.
I think it just puts it into perspective that there is

Here----) Jordan

Then

Everyone Else
In all seriousness what would it take for a person to be considered a better player than Jordan ever was?

What you have to consider now is the league is always going to have greater players year after year and more physically fit and better athletes in the future than we had in the past making it almost impossible for anyone to stand out or shine. With all due respect Jordan played against a lot of guys that nobody woul consider having on there roster now as size and speed are huge factors and in basketball and for some reason that i really cant explain it seems every year players are getting bigger and better.

So my question is what if a guy in the class of 2019 comes to the NBA....in a 16 year career has 9 titles, 6 MVP's, averages 35 ppg and shoots 70% career from the floor and has 200 buzzer beating shots.
Will everyone consider him the best player of all time or do we still have the Jordan fanatics that will swear up and down theres no way he could compare.
My point is, where does it end. Being the greatest of all time is only good until someone is better, but in todays world people are to stubborn to admit there wrong.

I compare this a lot to Muhammed Ali, AKA "the greatest".
Okay so this guys the greatest right? The same guy that lost 5 times? How is the butterfly who stings like a bee even beatable?
Is it safe to say that if Floyd Mayweather who is undefeated fights Pacquio and whips him all over the mat that he should be considered the greatest ever? He would have a better record, would have faced some really good boxers and been the man for a long time. Or does it end with, "well, Ali was a heavyweight and thats different..or back then they hit harder".....

Where does it end...
^ At this point where all using stats. Nothing more then stats. When some guy has those fantastic numbers u mentions. Then fine will Put him right there above jordan.
LOL what does Jordan know LOL...

He's the worst GM in the NBA....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^lol, I thought about posting something like that.

I was going to say, "He also thought that Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown were high 1st round draft picks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The numbers don't lie, Jordan is simply the best guard ever, plain and simple. Kobe, IMO, is the clear number two though.
You have to look at it like this. There is so many great players that come through the NBA, Jordan had phenominal years is why his stats are top tier. He was the best player in his generation, Kobe is the best player in this generation. You can put both of these guys in the top 10, you can't really say there's been a best ever because too many players have great careers. I understand if you have a favorite, and most have Jordan as their favorite, that's fine, but what about players like Wilt Chamberlain. One of the best to ever play, talk about statistics, he's your man.

Not one player is the same, if your gonna compare the two, you might as well compare them to every other legend that has played the game.

It feels like in Jordan's time, people weren't as athletic, physically fit, or physically gifted as the players of today. As fas as LeBron goes, this guy shouldn't even be in the equation, yes he's a great player, one of the elites of todays gen. But until he can prove to win when it counts, he's not in the discussion at all. And trust me if Shaq was on Jordan's team he could have had 8+ rings. Shaq is a legend as well.
Michael Jordan is a LIAR!!!
LWC Wrote:^lol, I thought about posting something like that.

I was going to say, "He also thought that Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown were high 1st round draft picks.

I don't care.
He's the greatest player ever, his opinion has more value than anyone else's when it comes to this topic.
Aslan Wrote:I don't care.
He's the greatest player ever, his opinion has more value than anyone else's when it comes to this topic.

Key word......

MJ's opinión don't mean anything to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Peyton Manning Sucks and should have 6 Super Bowls but throws interceptions in last minute drives in the fourth quarter. FACT
^ lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Peyton Manning Sucks and should have 6 Super Bowls but throws interceptions in last minute drives in the fourth quarter. FACT

The Green Bay Packers lost to the New York Giants Sunday, FACT.
I am the world's sexiest man. FACT
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]