Poll: Do you agree with the bill?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of Course, Stop Pirating
14.29%
No, Were Not China
64.29%
I dont know what it is
0%
I dont care
7.14%
Its Obama's fault.
14.29%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOPA and PIPA internet censorship bills.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Using your flawed logic, any theft from a wealthy individual or profitable corporation could be rationalized. The only difference between pirating a bunch of software, movies, and music and stealing a new Jaquar is the value of the item stolen. There is no excuse for stealing luxury items that a person can live without.

I don't mean to pick on you over this issue, WC, because I suspect that the majority of college student and young adults under 30 are guilty of pirating something. I appreciate your honesty in debating the topic.

Avoiding my Moral Part of the text is ok i guess. You guys have been preaching morals when you break them everyday u speed. Or curse. Or any other law u break.. Just because someone streams a movie doesnt make it any less warranted than someone cursing. An a moral standard that is. WHich is what you guys was preaching.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Avoiding my Moral Part of the text is ok i guess. You guys have been preaching morals when you break them everyday u speed. Or curse. Or any other law u break.. Just because someone streams a movie doesnt make it any less warranted than someone cursing. An a moral standard that is. WHich is what you guys was preaching.
Laws are based on society's consensus of what is moral and IMO, theft is a biggie.

I will freely confess to occasional speeding but in doing so, I travel with the flow of traffic so that I can change lanes. If you don't keep pace with the flow of traffic here, you create a hazard in heavy traffic and risk causing a crash. Here, the norm is 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit of 55 mph.

When I lived in Jackson, the speed limit was 60 mph on I-55 and that was the speed almost everybody, including me, drove. When i drive on base, I drive between 15 and 35 mph, which is the speed limit. I don't need to drive any faster to feel safe. Comparing driving a few miles over the speed limit to theft is ridiculous.

Do you condone shoplifting of DVDs, CDs, books, etc. by people who cannot afford a networked PC?
I don't stream movies, or download music I don't pay for, but I see the analogy Wildcat is trying to make. Breaking the law is breaking the law. It all goes back to "everybody has their pet sins". I bet the same people that are busting Wildcat's chops, write off stuff on their taxes, that they really aren't supposed to. Like writing off that they drive everyday to work, when they actually carpool. That was just an example, and I'm not saying anybody does it, but I will bet they do something wrong on their taxes of the same nature. Stealing is stealing, whether it is from the government, or a corporation.
Interesting arguments on both sides here. I really don't care what you do at the privacy of your own computer. But there is some what of a logic flaw in some arguments. A minor traffic violation(1 MPH over the limit, really? where are you driving Ft. Thomas?) compared to 300+ illegal downloads? Which would be a felony(theft of over $300).

I don't know stealing is stealing whether you do it with a computer, a five finger discount, or rip someone off. It's wrong.

By the way we do do the difference between what's morally right and what's legally right don't we?
Blog Sites like 1stwebdesigner could be blocked or shut down

As stated prior in what PIPA and SOPA are and what will they enable U.S. government agencies and private companies to do, the internet will become a hunt for any little bit of possible copyright violation. Of course the government loves blogs and bloggers, so it is only natural to think that they will receive a lot of special attention. These acts make it the blog owners responsibility for everything that is displayed on their site, including the comments of visitors.

So say an article is published one day featuring a logo, or trademark, of corporation and that corporation doesn’t like that it is being put on display on the site. Now the author of this article could have used it as a teaching method, critique, praising good design, or anything you can think of, it doesn’t matter. With these acts being only direct enough to give an area for attack, and vague enough to manipulate and twist seemingly any possible way, any type of accusation can be made and found true.

Say Goodbye to Innovation

These acts are stopping developers from coming up with the next big thing in the online market that could change how we use the internet. Let’s say that these acts were around back when the internet was started, how many of the most popular sites would still have come into fruition. There would be no Facebook, YouTube, MediaFire, SoundCloud, Twitter, DropBox, or any other site that can be targeted as a place where online piracy could take place. Is it even possible to think about what the internet would be like without sites like this?

Legal Action Over A Child Singing A Song

It is quite oblivious that none of the people on sites like YouTube have been given permission from record label execs to sing their favorite song, and then proceed to post it on a video sharing site. However will that be a problem for the record execs?

The site the child will have posted the video on will be put under pressure to resolve this issue, or face their site being put on the blacklist. This child, and her family, could also very well face legal action with either the site or the record label the song that was sung has copyrighted.

The U.S. Government Hope They Will Spark Global Change

The U.S. government officials and private corporations aren’t only concerned about how these bills will work out in America, they are hoping that they will have the influence to get other nations to follow suit with these acts passing. That means if these acts pass, then the next country this could be coming toward may be yours.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Blog Sites like 1stwebdesigner could be blocked or shut down

As stated prior in what PIPA and SOPA are and what will they enable U.S. government agencies and private companies to do, the internet will become a hunt for any little bit of possible copyright violation. Of course the government loves blogs and bloggers, so it is only natural to think that they will receive a lot of special attention. These acts make it the blog owners responsibility for everything that is displayed on their site, including the comments of visitors.

So say an article is published one day featuring a logo, or trademark, of corporation and that corporation doesn’t like that it is being put on display on the site. Now the author of this article could have used it as a teaching method, critique, praising good design, or anything you can think of, it doesn’t matter. With these acts being only direct enough to give an area for attack, and vague enough to manipulate and twist seemingly any possible way, any type of accusation can be made and found true.

Say Goodbye to Innovation

These acts are stopping developers from coming up with the next big thing in the online market that could change how we use the internet. Let’s say that these acts were around back when the internet was started, how many of the most popular sites would still have come into fruition. There would be no Facebook, YouTube, MediaFire, SoundCloud, Twitter, DropBox, or any other site that can be targeted as a place where online piracy could take place. Is it even possible to think about what the internet would be like without sites like this?

Legal Action Over A Child Singing A Song

It is quite oblivious that none of the people on sites like YouTube have been given permission from record label execs to sing their favorite song, and then proceed to post it on a video sharing site. However will that be a problem for the record execs?

The site the child will have posted the video on will be put under pressure to resolve this issue, or face their site being put on the blacklist. This child, and her family, could also very well face legal action with either the site or the record label the song that was sung has copyrighted.

The U.S. Government Hope They Will Spark Global Change

The U.S. government officials and private corporations aren’t only concerned about how these bills will work out in America, they are hoping that they will have the influence to get other nations to follow suit with these acts passing. That means if these acts pass, then the next country this could be coming toward may be yours.

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/how...ffect-you/

Wink
Dana White calls out Internet hackers, they respond by releasing his alleged personal info

CHICAGO -- The war is on between the UFC and Internet hackers.

On Sunday, UFC.com was re-routed several times to the website UGnazi. The site's organizers, who White called terrorists several times during the "UFC on Fox 2" press conference, said the hacking of UFC.com is a result of the company's support of SOPA and PIPA. The wide-ranging bills are aimed at stopping online piracy.

White lashed out at the hackers.

Update: White dug in deeper during a conversation with The Score's Mauro Ranallo (13:30 mark).

"Keep hacking our site, do it again. Do it tonight," said White. "These guys look like terrorists now and a bill that was about to die, is about to come back."

The hacker taking credit for the UFC hit, @joshthgod, went a different route after the challenge, posting White's personal info, including a Social Security number, a list of residential addresses, a vehicle identification number and a personal phone number.

That followed a tweet that said White is now the target.

"@danawhite We don't want your site anymore. We are going after YOU! Follow me for tonights exciting events! #ufc #sopa #acta #pipa,"

[Related: Why SOPA, PIPA aren't answer to MMA's piracy problem]

White said the hackers are only hurting their own cause by alerting politicians that there's a serious issue. He's willing to risk his own safety to stop the online pilfering.

"Is SOPA the perfect bill? No, it's not. The only thing that we're focused on is piracy. Piracy is stealing. If you walk into a store and you steal a gold watch, it's the same as stealing a pay-per-view. I don't care what your twisted, demented idea of stealing is," White said. "These kids who grew up on the Internet never had to pay for anything, so they don't think that you should have to."

White closed by saying he's not afraid of the Internet, it's where cowards live.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewr...12772.html