Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are Your Favorite Restaurants?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Hoot,

Is Newk's good? One opened up about 5 minutes from me but I havent had a chance to give it a try. Any suggestions on what to order?
I ate at Newk's - a lot - while I lived in Jackson. For the money, the Newk's that I frequented were hard to beat. I am glad to see Newk's continuing to expand beyond its Mississippi roots. It is a well managed regional franchise. I did not realize that Newk's had so many locations outside of Mississippi. I wish that there was one close to me.

Here are my favorites:

First, the salads:

Newk's Favorite Salad

[Image: http://newkscafe.pmhclients.com/images/f...te8292.jpg]

Shrimp Roumalaude Salad

[Image: http://newkscafe.pmhclients.com/images/f...mp8444.jpg]

Southern Salad (a/k/a Chicken Salad Salad)

[Image: http://newkscafe.pmhclients.com/images/f...rn8366.jpg]

Sandwiches:

Chicken Salad
Newk's "Q"
Pesto Chicken

The soups and personal pizza are also very good but I never got tired of the Newk's Favorite salads.
TheRealVille Wrote:My wife and I drive right by the one in Paintsville, to get to the one in Prestonsburg. No comparison, in my book. I generally try to patronize local restaurants, but this is one instance that I don't waste my time on. I don't know what Giovanni's in Prestonsburg does different, but their pizzas are head and shoulders above the one in Paintsville.

Keep driving to the one at Ivel. It's a lot better than the one in P burg IMO.
Any Japanese Hibachi grill.

Texas Roadhouse is a good 2nd.
Westside Wrote:Keep driving to the one at Ivel. It's a lot better than the one in P burg IMO.
I did have a buddy tell me that. He also said Ivel had the coldest beer you could buy.
ekff Wrote:Peking (Hazard, KY)

Logans Steakhouse
T.G.I. Fridays
Outback

Wendy's

Wing Zone (Lexington, KY)

Madison Garden (Richmond, KY)
Ate there many times when I was at EKU. My wife and I were talking about that place the other day, wondering if it was still open.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
La Pena's!

TGI Fridays
Wendys
Taco Bell
Buffalo Wild Wings
Renos
You should check with your local wendy's and see if they have the Frosty keychain tag MVP. It cost $1 and gets you free frosty's the rest of the year.
^ Really? $1 dollar????
Not a fan of most restaurants. After tasting the food I know I can make it better at home
nky Wrote:Not a fan of most restaurants. After tasting the food I know I can make it better at home

I wish I could say the same. My cooking skills are not very good.
^ Thankfully my cooking skills are awesome. I can fix a bowl of cereal like none other.
Most of the chain places are simple a reheating joint opening cans, bags or pouches and calling it done. They buy their stuff from GFS, Sam's, or other restaurant supply companies. Even some of the "local" restaurants have gone to using a commissary format where they make the food in bulk and sent it to the individual stores.
nky Wrote:Most of the chain places are simple a reheating joint opening cans, bags or pouches and calling it done. They buy their stuff from GFS, Sam's, or other restaurant supply companies. Even some of the "local" restaurants have gone to using a commissary format where they make the food in bulk and sent it to the individual stores.
I agree with you on chain restaurants - most are not very good and most of us can do better in our own kitchens. However, if you can match the shrimp and grits from an independent restaurant like Julep in Jackson, MS, or the pulled pork at Interstate Barbecue in Memphis, then you are very talented.
I can do a pretty good pulled pork, and even a good brisket
Still haven't tried the TX Roadhouse in Pikeville yet damnit..really want too.
vundy33 Wrote:Still haven't tried the TX Roadhouse in Pikeville yet damnit..really want too.

Vundy, if you go, call ahead and reserve a spot or you'll be waiting a while. I took my girlfriend there and ordered us both a steak. It was ok. I think I like the one in Gatlinburg better but it could just be because it is Gatlinburg (it's just in my head).
I don't have a sophisticated pallet. My girlfriend and I have gone to some nice places because she likes fancy places. I either order an appetizer or get a to go box and give my meal to her, then I go home and make me a bolonga sandwich. Arby's is fancy enough for me.
Westy, I figured your favorite restaurant was any that served FOOD!!!! Wink
Stardust Wrote:^ Really? $1 dollar????

Yeah, I went and picked mine up today from a wendy's here in Lexington. Free frosty's with any purchase the rest of the year. water+frosty's for me the rest of the year.
^ Absolutely awesome. I'll try to get one today
Stardust Wrote:Westy, I figured your favorite restaurant was any that served FOOD!!!! Wink

LOL!!! You got that right.
Really, still have to reserve a table?! At TX Roadhouse?? lol.

They carry any craft beers? Specifically, Sierra Nevada?
vundy33 Wrote:Really, still have to reserve a table?! At TX Roadhouse?? lol.

They carry any craft beers? Specifically, Sierra Nevada?

I called 90 minutes ahead of time and still had to wait 10 minutes after we got there. I have no idea about the beer. I hate the taste of beer.
How can you be a male and hate the taste of beer?! Liquor, at least?
vundy33 Wrote:How can you be a male and hate the taste of beer?! Liquor, at least?

LOL!!! I used to drink Jim Beam straight, but I'm getting old I guess. I'll leave the drinking to you younger bucks, but I do still have a little hair left on my chest.
nky Wrote:I can do a pretty good pulled pork, and even a good brisket
On a good day, with my ceramic charcoal smoker, I can match the quality of a top Memphis or Carolina barbecue joint's pulled pork - but it's not easy. I slow cook a pork shoulder roast (preferably a Boston butt roast) for 12 to 15 hours with a blend of hickory and apple or cherry wood chips and lump charcoal at a temperature of 215 to 225 degrees. Pulled pork that is not prepared using the "low and slow" smoking method doesn't cut it, IMO, and not many people are willing to do the work that it takes to fix it that way.

Barbecue is cheap, even in the best restaurants, so I have sometimes wondered if it is worth the effort to fix it at home - especially on a chilly night.

If you can fix a good smoked brisket, then you have done something that I haven't. My briskets never turn out as well as my pulled pork and because I like pulled pork better anyway, I gave up my quest for a perfect brisket after a few tries. It's too easy to turn out briskets that are as tough as shoe leather. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:On a good day, with my ceramic charcoal smoker, I can match the quality of a top Memphis or Carolina barbecue joint's pulled pork - but it's not easy. I slow cook a pork shoulder roast (preferably a Boston butt roast) for 12 to 15 hours with a blend of hickory and apple or cherry wood chips and lump charcoal at a temperature of 215 to 225 degrees. Pulled pork that is not prepared using the "low and slow" smoking method doesn't cut it, IMO, and not many people are willing to do the work that it takes to fix it that way.

Barbecue is cheap, even in the best restaurants, so I have sometimes wondered if it is worth the effort to fix it at home - especially on a chilly night.

If you can fix a good smoked brisket, then you have done something that I haven't. My briskets never turn out as well as my pulled pork and because I like pulled pork better anyway, I gave up my quest for a perfect brisket after a few tries. It's too easy to turn out briskets that are as tough as shoe leather. :biggrin:
try this easy and yummy
Barbequed Pork Rub
Combine:
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup black pepper
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1 T. Dried Oregano
1 T. Dried Thyme
1 t. Cayenne
Apply to about an 8 lb. Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt)
Combine all rub seasonings. Coat the shoulder with the rub, massaging into the meat.

No need to let it sit-- it'll have plenty of time to absorb flavors on the grill.
Indirect heat: Grilling indirectly is for cuts of meat that take a long time to cook (it's like baking in the oven). Set up the grill so that half has fire and the other half does not. Cooking is done on the area where there is no fire underneath, but there is plenty of heat. This can be done easily on both gas or charcoal grills. For a gas grill, simply turn one burner on medium-high, keeping the other burner turned off. For a charcoal grill, when the briquettes have turned white, rake them to the sides and cook the meat in the middle of the grate.
Smoke: Whether you use a gas or charcoal grill, you'll need smoke for authentic barbecue flavor. Creating it on a charcoal grill is a no brainer-- just add pieces of water soaked wood directly onto briquettes....But gas grill are different story. Ashes from the burning wood could clog the burners, so wrap pieces of dry wood in aluminum packet opened at top...Put packet on grilling grate directly over the fire. Preheat one side of grill to medium high. Place smoke packet over the fire drip pan under unlit side. Place pork over drip pan and grill for 3 hours. Check every hour to make sure there's plenty of smoke.

Smoking takes 3 hours. Add wood packets as needed to keep plenty of smoke circulating.
Once smoking is complete. Wrap pork in two layers of foil, crimping edges to seal in moisture.
Return to grill: cook 2 hours.
After 2 hours, insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat. You want to hit 180 degrees
Keep foil around the meat and let rest off heat for 30 minutes. It's now ready for pulling with fork or fingers.
NothingTrivial Wrote:Thats what I noticed with a lot of it when I was there, it was either over priced or lacking. Ive craved their lobster bisque since I left. Nothing beats a big bucket of crab on the boardwalk @ OC for me.
I just got back home from Maryland. We got a late start, so we ate at Kentmore Restaurant, which is south of Stevensville on Kent Island. Our table was next to a fireplace and overlooked Chesapeake Bay. The crab cakes and crab dip that I had were great. No lobster bisque on the menu, but my wife said the crab soup was delicious.

The service was very good and most of the other customers were seated near the bar watching the Ravens' playoff game.

I was surprised that the seafood prices were fairly reasonable. A pound of steamed shrimp was only a couple of dollars higher than at my favorite seafood place in Mississippi. We are planning to take a weekend trip to Ocean City soon. It was nice to get away from DC for a few hours and enjoy some great seafood.
Westside Wrote:LOL!!! I used to drink Jim Beam straight, but I'm getting old I guess. I'll leave the drinking to you younger bucks, but I do still have a little hair left on my chest.

haha. I used to not even drink until I tasted real beer, not the horrible, crappy beers like Bud, Miller, Coors...

And I like Makers, like I told ya earlier. Just love the taste. Best KY bourbon there is, I think.
Damnit...now I'm drunk and hungry.