Barbequed Pork Rub
Combine:
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup black pepper
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1 T. Dried Oregano
1 T. Dried Thyme
1 t. Cayenne
Apply to about an 8 lb. Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt)
Combine all rub seasonings. Coat the shoulder with the rub, massaging into the meat.

No need to let it sit-- it'll have plenty of time to absorb flavors on the grill.
Indirect heat: Grilling indirectly is for cuts of meat that take a long time to cook (it's like baking in the oven). Set up the grill so that half has fire and the other half does not. Cooking is done on the area where there is no fire underneath, but there is plenty of heat. This can be done easily on both gas or charcoal grills. For a gas grill, simply turn one burner on medium-high, keeping the other burner turned off. For a charcoal grill, when the briquettes have turned white, rake them to the sides and cook the meat in the middle of the grate.
Smoke: Whether you use a gas or charcoal grill, you'll need smoke for authentic barbecue flavor. Creating it on a charcoal grill is a no brainer-- just add pieces of water soaked wood directly onto briquettes....But gas grill are different story. Ashes from the burning wood could clog the burners, so wrap pieces of dry wood in aluminum packet opened at top...Put packet on grilling grate directly over the fire. Preheat one side of grill to medium high. Place smoke packet over the fire drip pan under unlit side. Place pork over drip pan and grill for 3 hours. Check every hour to make sure there's plenty of smoke.

Smoking takes 3 hours. Add wood packets as needed to keep plenty of smoke circulating.
Once smoking is complete. Wrap pork in two layers of foil, crimping edges to seal in moisture.
Return to grill: cook 2 hours.
After 2 hours, insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat. You want to hit 180 degrees
Keep foil around the meat and let rest off heat for 30 minutes. It's now ready for pulling with fork or fingers.
The rub recipe is very similar to the ones that I have used. My rubs usually include some brown sugar but the sugar will burn if you don't smoke at a low temperature. We also included smoked (or Hungarian) paprika in our rubs.
vundy33 Wrote:haha. I used to not even drink until I tasted real beer, not the horrible, crappy beers like Bud, Miller, Coors...

And I like Makers, like I told ya earlier. Just love the taste. Best KY bourbon there is, I think.

I like Maker's...but it is nowhere close to Blanton's... and to a lesser extent Woodford Reserve to me.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I ate at Newk's - a lot - while I lived in Jackson. For the money, the Newk's that I frequented were hard to beat. I am glad to see Newk's continuing to expand beyond its Mississippi roots. It is a well managed regional franchise. I did not realize that Newk's had so many locations outside of Mississippi. I wish that there was one close to me.
We had it last night and were happy with it. Just went with the personal pizza's and split a half portion of chicken ceasar salad. They will be getting a return visit from me.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The rub recipe is very similar to the ones that I have used. My rubs usually include some brown sugar but the sugar will burn if you don't smoke at a low temperature. We also included smoked (or Hungarian) paprika in our rubs.
sugar tends to burn off giving an off taste I tend to stay away from it. Besides I don't like a lot of sweet on my meat
TheRealVille Wrote:My wife and I drive right by the one in Paintsville, to get to the one in Prestonsburg. No comparison, in my book. I generally try to patronize local restaurants, but this is one instance that I don't waste my time on. I don't know what Giovanni's in Prestonsburg does different, but their pizzas are head and shoulders above the one in Paintsville.

Better than the one in Martin too..I use to love the one in Martin but the food has went downhill..
Ive ate Mexican food in Mexico, in bordertowns in Arizona etc..Honestly I havent eaten any thats better than what can be had in Prestonsburg..Now thats common everyday Mexican, not the high end stuff..
Im a wing fanatic..I love the wings at the little resturant "Cloud 9" up by the airport..When I first transfered between prisons I eat those wings about every other day..
With a little practice anyone can make the best wings,Pizza or BBQ to be had..Just takes some trial & error thats all..A good grill helps too.