Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you like BGR to close the doors and shutdown the site?
I'm thinking very seriously about closing the board for good. I know there are a few people that would love to see this and will try their best to bring us down because they spite us because we offer a FREE service. The only reason that this hasn’t happened is because I don’t want to give these assholes the gratitude of knowing they succeeding in bringing BGR down.

However, things go to far when people start insulting my family and my intelligence.  I put countless hours and time into this site. No one understands the effort that must go into these boards to keep them working. I have tried countless ways to satisfy and make people happy, but some people still complain. I have had people tell me I was too young to run a message board. I am 29 years old. What exactly is the age required to run a successful message board anyways?  I also had someone advise me to use spell check on one of my post. Listen I have 1000 things going on. I work, I'm a full time graduate student with a 4.0, and I have a family. I have to type these messages really quickly sometimes.  A lot of my spelling errors are from typos. Anyway, I'm a Computer Science major. I don't claim to be good at writing. In my profession I don't have to be. So please don't insult me for making types or spelling errors. I wouldn't insult anyone’s intelligence because they can't compile their own custom Linux kernel, or can't build and manage countless database systems such as Postgres, or can't setup their on DNS server, or don't know the difference between vector and raster layers, or think CHMOD is something you do to your Xbox, The point is we all have things we excel in and things we don't. Sure if I had a writing assignment for one of my graduate level classes I would take the time to spell check. But this is a message board. I have been associated with countless message boards the last few years. People just don't freak out over spelling and grammatical errors.  I mean really, just because someone forgets an apostrophe or misspelled message as “messege” doesn’t make you smarter than them.  That person could have just been really busy and in a hurry, had two kids jumping on him while he tried to type, was on the phone, had the wife beating him over the head with a broom, or they have fat fingers and simply do not type well. Who are we to judge peoples intelligence on a public message boards. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the most intelligent people make mistakes.

After all, facial expressions, bodily actions and the sound of someone’s voice have all been rendered pretty much obsolete by the internet and are entirely absent from any exchange of views and human contact on the message boards. And typed words don’t always convey someone’s true intelligence and feelings behind them. It goes without saying that typed messages are often misinterpreted rather dramatically by the reader.

I suggest we all try to demonstrate some patience, tolerance and have a sense of humor while you’re on the message board. To be honest, I get sick of wading through the oceans of complaints, finger pointing, insults and the unpleasant people that search through the forums in hope to find some glimmer of reason to attack another person or demonstrate utterly irrational anger and resentment. There are plenty of these types of people on here. They obviously don’t have anything better to do in their miserable lives other than trying to make others miserable.

Many of these people who regularly use the internet are the type of people that wouldn’t say boo to a goose. People think that just because they can post anonymously, that they have the right to say whatever rude or insulting things they want to others. I have never once been confronted by these types of people in the real world. People just don’t act like this out in society. I never had a teacher to tell me I was dumbass because I forgot to dot my “i” or a person to call me liar to my face.  Why is when some people have to be behind a computer screen to demonstrate their bravery, act like a jerk or just be a total asshole? Why not confront them in person? When the fear of reprimand is eliminated and anonymity is secure this certainly will make insulting more common and harsher than it is in real life.

I remind you all this is a free message board. It doesn’t cost you one dime out of your pocket. I remind you there are other alternatives on the internet and no one here is holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay here. If you don’t like what is offered you do have other options. Also I don’t mind people making suggestions for improvements. But complaining about everything doesn’t do anything but piss me off, cause me stress and makes me not want to continue the board. There is a difference in complaining and constructive criticism. 

From here on out if you’re complaining, bitching, moaning about the way we do things. Then I will ban your account, your IP address and your entire hosting domain if I have to.
We are also going to ISP domain only email validation sign ups. If new members can’t figure out how to activate their account by checking their ISP emails then they will not be able to sign up.  Public email domains such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail will no longer be activated. I simply can’t deal and won’t deal with the nonsense of fly by night posters anymore.  I won’t have people insulting my family, my intelligence. This may cause us to take a huge hit in members, but we will have more control of the nonsense. I rather have 1 quality poster sign up a day rather than 30 of these fly by night posters.

You know things are not going right, when the most popular threads on the board are the ones where people complain, bitch and moan.  I ask you that want to see BGR a success to work with me. I will make one last effort to make this work. But if things don’t shape up soon, and people can’t respect what the staff and I work hard to bring you for FREE. I will close the doors on BGR. This isn’t worth the headaches or the stress. I encourage you to report any type of rude behavior to any of the staff. If you see someone making fun of, bashing another member please report ASAP. We all can work together to rid ourselves of the nuisance that rid BGR.

I open to suggestions for improvements. I' m not open to complaints.
Man I for one think you have done an excellent job wiht this site and greatly apprecaite your time an energy into providing us wiht this great site. Please don't close it. I really enjoy getting on here and voicing opinion. Don't let these people get you down man. They hace to be few and far between. Thanks alot. You have done an awesome job. QQ's #1 fan here Smile
QQ......ignore the morons who try to discredit your works.  This is a great chat board and will only get better as time goes on, especially after the dufuses who criticize leave.  Hang in there and show these idiots you can make it work. 
[quote author=moofer link=topic=20496.msg205251#msg205251 date=1141670555]Please don't close it. I really enjoy getting on here and voicing opinion.
[/quote]

Actually, what moofer enjoys most is getting raked over the coals for being a Tubby Smith supporer.  He evidently enjoys abuse...  :no:

j/k guys.  On any chat site you're going to have differences of opinions, but they can be civil.  I totally agree on banning anyone who verbally abuses another poster by using profanity.  Going to the ISP domain is a great idea.  That should get rid of the morons who have multiple accounts and want to use a few of them to degrade others. 
QQ, this site is amazing. i mean seriously it is absolutely wonderful. Where else can i go to talk about high school sports with my friends and foes for FREE. nowhere. where else can i go to have a spirited debate about how stupid it is that dUKe and UNC will be playing basketball on 432 different channels for FREE? nowhere. you are an awesome and intelligent guy. theres  no way i could run one of these message boards, and i consider myself a pretty smart guy.
The bottom line is there are more people on here that support you then ones that dont. my guess would be about a 300 to 1 ratio of supporters to non.  please dont give up on this thing yet. it will only make the few who dont appreciate it happy. and my bet is they are members of the other site trying to put a stop to the wondeful place of BGR.
[quote author=torQQue link=topic=20496.msg205249#msg205249 date=1141670380]
I'm thinking very seriously about closing the board for good. I know there are a few people that would love to see this and will try their best to bring us down because they spite us because we offer a FREE service. The only reason that this hasn’t happened is because I don’t want to give these assholes the gratitude of knowing they succeeding in bringing BGR down.

However, things go to far when people start insulting my family and my intelligence.  I put countless hours and time into this site. No one understands the effort that must go into these boards to keep them working. I have tried countless ways to satisfy and make people happy, but some people still complain. I have had people tell me I was too young to run a message board. I am 29 years old. What exactly is the age required to run a successful message board anyways?  I also had someone advise me to use spell check on one of my post. Listen I have 1000 things going on. I work, I'm a full time graduate student with a 4.0, and I have a family. I have to type these messages really quickly sometimes.  A lot of my spelling errors are from typos. Anyway, I'm a Computer Science major. I don't claim to be good at writing. In my profession I don't have to be. So please don't insult me for making types or spelling errors. I wouldn't insult anyone’s intelligence because they can't compile their own custom Linux kernel, or can't build and manage countless database systems such as Postgres, or can't setup their on DNS server, or don't know the difference between vector and raster layers, or think CHMOD is something you do to your Xbox, The point is we all have things we excel in and things we don't. Sure if I had a writing assignment for one of my graduate level classes I would take the time to spell check. But this is a message board. I have been associated with countless message boards the last few years. People just don't freak out over spelling and grammatical errors.  I mean really, just because someone forgets an apostrophe or misspelled message as “messege” doesn’t make you smarter than them.  That person could have just been really busy and in a hurry, had two kids jumping on him while he tried to type, was on the phone, had the wife beating him over the head with a broom, or they have fat fingers and simply do not type well. Who are we to judge peoples intelligence on a public message boards. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the most intelligent people make mistakes.

After all, facial expressions, bodily actions and the sound of someone’s voice have all been rendered pretty much obsolete by the internet and are entirely absent from any exchange of views and human contact on the message boards. And typed words don’t always convey someone’s true intelligence and feelings behind them. It goes without saying that typed messages are often misinterpreted rather dramatically by the reader.

I suggest we all try to demonstrate some patience, tolerance and have a sense of humor while you’re on the message board. To be honest, I get sick of wading through the oceans of complaints, finger pointing, insults and the unpleasant people that search through the forums in hope to find some glimmer of reason to attack another person or demonstrate utterly irrational anger and resentment. There are plenty of these types of people on here. They obviously don’t have anything better to do in their miserable lives other than trying to make others miserable.

Many of these people who regularly use the internet are the type of people that wouldn’t say boo to a goose. People think that just because they can post anonymously, that they have the right to say whatever rude or insulting things they want to others. I have never once been confronted by these types of people in the real world. People just don’t act like this out in society. I never had a teacher to tell me I was dumbass because I forgot to dot my “i” or a person to call me liar to my face.  Why is when some people have to be behind a computer screen to demonstrate their bravery, act like a jerk or just be a total asshole? Why not confront them in person? When the fear of reprimand is eliminated and anonymity is secure this certainly will make insulting more common and harsher than it is in real life.

I remind you all this is a free message board. It doesn’t cost you one dime out of your pocket. I remind you there are other alternatives on the internet and no one here is holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay here. If you don’t like what is offered you do have other options. Also I don’t mind people making suggestions for improvements. But complaining about everything doesn’t do anything but piss me off, cause me stress and makes me not want to continue the board. There is a difference in complaining and constructive criticism. 

From here on out if you’re complaining, bitching, moaning about the way we do things. Then I will ban your account, your IP address and your entire hosting domain if I have to.
We are also going to ISP domain only email validation sign ups. If new members can’t figure out how to activate their account by checking their ISP emails then they will not be able to sign up.  Public email domains such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail will no longer be activated. I simply can’t deal and won’t deal with the nonsense of fly by night posters anymore.  I won’t have people insulting my family, my intelligence. This may cause us to take a huge hit in members, but we will have more control of the nonsense. I rather have 1 quality poster sign up a day rather than 30 of these fly by night posters.

You know things are not going right, when the most popular threads on the board are the ones where people complain, bitch and moan.  I ask you that want to see BGR a success to work with me. I will make one last effort to make this work. But if things don’t shape up soon, and people can’t respect what the staff and I work hard to bring you for FREE. I will close the doors on BGR. This isn’t worth the headaches or the stress. I encourage you to report any type of rude behavior to any of the staff. If you see someone making fun of, bashing another member please report ASAP. We all can work together to rid ourselves of the nuisance that rid BGR.

I open to suggestions for improvements. I' m not open to complaints.

[/quote]

Well I know I havent been here as long as the other staff memebers but man I know the time and hard work you put into the site.  This site has been a great part of my everyday life.  Its the best site out there and is getting bigger and better everyday.  I know there are a few ass holes on here that is all they want to do but there are a hell of alot of us who respect what u do.
lol I won't argue in here lol. just here to show QQ my support for everything he has done for us. Keep it up QQ
QQ needs everyone's support. 
QQ, Man without this site, I wouldnt have nothing to look forward too after getting out of class. I love to get on here and read topocs and opinions of ppl all around the state and see what they have to say back. I love it thats its free too and this just makes me and people who like this place just as much as I do appriciate you hard work and effort that you put into this site. The site is great and I feel couldnt be better. Goodness it is up and running and you can talk on it what more do they want. Now you have updated it and giving people there way to choose how there page can look. I think you are doing a wonderful job and wouldnt ask anymore out of you because i feel you have done enough. As for those idiots who want to bring BGR down can just go somewhere else because round here we should stick together. We might have differences but when it comes to not being able to cheer, comment, and criticize other people, what would we do. Thisis a free site that lets us say basically what we want to say and see other ppl's opinions at the same time. WAY TO GO QQ! YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL THING GOING HERE AND YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB.
The greater majority of members are good people and have great posts.  I'm sure QQ would be the first to say that this isn't directed to the majority.  The people who this refers to know who they are.  In all, it just really makes the site look bad and nobody wants to wade through the garbage of trying to find out what happened in a ball game by reading 10 consecutive posts where 2 members are just personally attacking each other on some basis or another.  If you have a problem with a person, please don't clutter the message boards with it.  There is a private messaging option that you can communicate with.

I for one love this site and would hate to see it go.  But with all of the problems, complaints, arguing, and personal attacks recently, I can understand why QQ feels this way.  This site was set up to discuss mainly sports topics and voice your opinions without being charged or fear of being banned.  It was not set in place to try to belittle every person you don't see eye to eye with.  That just shows immaturity.  As QQ said, we'd rather have 1 quality member than even 50 members who continually cause problems. 

Everyone gets heated on a topic or post sometime and that's ok.  It happens to everyone.  But when that feud carries on for an entire page on the thread, that's a problem.  When a good chunk of your posts are an attempt to belittle someone, on anything, no exceptions, that's a problem.

Everyone just needs to keep their maturity about them when posting on BGR.  It's a privledge to be a member of BGR and be able to communicate and voice your opinions with thousands of other members for free, not a right.  It's all at QQ's discretion.  This site could be gone tomorrow.  It may be here for another 100 years.  Nobody has a right to personally attack a member because they hold an opinion that varies from their own.  BGR is for discussion, not for arguing. 

I love what you've done and created here QQ.  I hope the site just continues to spread and get better and better like it has the whole time I've been a member. 
I would assume the majority of the posters who complain about the new look of the site are actually too stupid to know how to go to their profile and make changes to suit their tastes.  I agree with Tomcat68, the greater majority of members here are good people and have something positive to add to the site.  Think twice, QQ , about turning out the lights.
Great site!  Hadn't been around in many months and just checked back in...
10-1 better than BGP. :thumpsup:
This is the best site ever! and thats not my opinion it is a fact!
The Taliban sports chat site is 10-1 better than BGP..... no, wait, that is BluegrassPreps.
Without this site i wouldn't have anything to look forward to during my boring classes I'd go insane in my 6th and 7th periods. It's an awesome site.
we have 2827 members.  Thats 102 members since yesterday.  If you cant see what type of message board this is then you need to move on.  For all those who said that it wouldnt last a year.  Well out of those members we have about 5 -10 that do nothing but want to see us (BGR) go down in flames.  And two those that think they would gain members at the other site,  you wrong,  I for one wouldnt go there for nothing,  they are total jerks there,  and ban you for speaking your mind.
[quote author=Batpuff link=topic=20496.msg205282#msg205282 date=1141672673]
I for one would go there for nothing, they are total jerks there, and ban you for speaking your mind.
[/quote]

Right you are, Batpuff.  Total jerks is an understatement.  I was banned for wishing my nephew a Happy Birthday and posting a pic of a 500 lb bald guy as a joke to him.  BTW, I've met theguru twice and came away unimpressed both times.  Bigtime jerk.
[quote author=TheBlackHole link=topic=20496.msg205265#msg205265 date=1141671743]
QQ, Man without this site, I wouldnt have nothing to look forward too after getting out of class. I love to get on here and read topocs and opinions of ppl all around the state and see what they have to say back. I love it thats its free too and this just makes me and people who like this place just as much as I do appriciate you hard work and effort that you put into this site. The site is great and I feel couldnt be better. Goodness it is up and running and you can talk on it what more do they want. Now you have updated it and giving people there way to choose how there page can look. I think you are doing a wonderful job and wouldnt ask anymore out of you because i feel you have done enough. As for those idiots who want to bring BGR down can just go somewhere else because round here we should stick together. We might have differences but when it comes to not being able to cheer, comment, and criticize other people, what would we do. Thisis a free site that lets us say basically what we want to say and see other ppl's opinions at the same time. WAY TO GO QQ! YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL THING GOING HERE AND YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB.
[/quote]

I'll second that.  No one should have to pay just to post there opinions and the support they have for their teams on message boards.  Your doing a great job QQ.
You're doing a great job QQ! This site is a lot better than BGP. I have an account there and I feel like it was just a waste of money. Thank You for your hard work don't think that it's not appreciated, because it is!!!!!
I love this site because you don't gotta worry about things like grammatical errors and stuff like that. 

I met theguru and had no problem with him.  However, my problem comes in when being high up on the priority list means you can do anything on BGP.  I.E.  Birdsfan thought I was 20, in a stolen car, and that I knew the state that the driver was in when I decided to get in that stolen car, all of which are false.  He proceedes to make comments about how I don't deserve anything, how I'm a dick, and how I'm just trying to robb people.  I ask theguru about it, get blown off and told Birdsfan was "trying to help me."  Someone want to try and explain that to me?  So, alls I say is "a moderator offended me," and I get kicked off the site for good.  If anyone would like to take a stab at that and tell me how it's not bullshit, please, feel free.

By the way, I doubt many of you know the true story and none of you know how financially destroyed my family has been with no help from anyone, so please think about if you're going to form an opinion that's similar to Birdsfan
QQ knows he has my support, all the way.
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20496.msg205332#msg205332 date=1141676104]
I love this site because you don't gotta worry about things like grammatical errors and stuff like that.

I met theguru and had no problem with him. However, my problem comes in when being high up on the priority list means you can do anything on BGP. I.E. Birdsfan thought I was 20, in a stolen car, and that I knew the state that the driver was in when I decided to get in that stolen car, all of which are false. He proceedes to make comments about how I don't deserve anything, how I'm a dick, and how I'm just trying to robb people. I ask theguru about it, get blown off and told Birdsfan was "trying to help me." Someone want to try and explain that to me? So, alls I say is "a moderator offended me," and I get kicked off the site for good. If anyone would like to take a stab at that and tell me how it's not bullshit, please, feel free.

By the way, I doubt many of you know the true story and none of you know how financially destroyed my family has been with no help from anyone, so please think about if you're going to form an opinion that's similar to Birdsfan
[/quote]

Heh........Birdsfan was one of three people there who wanted me booted off.....and we used to PM all the time.  He even shared some personal info with me about a poster there he was sweet on...... go figure.  You just can't trust some people.

BTW.......Birdie has spinabifita (sp?) or some ailment similar and confined to a wheelchair.  Don't know if you knew that or not.
I also like this site a lot better because it is focused on mountain sports.
[quote author=brokencard link=topic=20496.msg205318#msg205318 date=1141675443]
You're doing a great job QQ! This site is a lot better than BGP. I have an account there and I feel like it was just a waste of money. Thank You for your hard work don't think that it's not appreciated, because it is!!!!!
[/quote]

I absolutely agree.....I too have membership on the other site, and don't feel welcome there....I have been made welcome here and I feel that my opinions are welcomed here.  I think this site is awesome....
QQ I will support you either way.  I for one hope you keep this open.  I have been here since the day the site started, as I say I was one of the 1st 5 members, and in the past 14 months this site has grown much quicker than I could have ever thought.  I knew eventually this site would get to the level that it has but I didn't think it would be this quick.  We have seen tremendous growth in the past 2-4 months and I hope we continue to get GOOD members everyday.  I know you put A LOT of time into the site and I am grateful for everything you do and 99% of BGR is very grateful.  THe people that want to bring this site down are jealous and concerned over the success that BGR has had and they know that BGR has more to offer and it is free for its members which is something that BGP can't compete with because their main priority is making money.  I was just like to see all of those that cause problems on here have their IP Address banned.  All of the good members here(Which is a lot)just need to realize the intentions of the minority on here and overlook them and just pay no attention to them.  Either way man you know you have my support.
I don't post a whole lot and QQ and I have had our differences in the past, no secret there.  I am not going to repeat a lot of what is already posted.  QQ knows where I stand and that is all that really matters to me.

What I do want to say is QQ and BGG have the right to run this site the way they see fit and the rest of us can take it or leave it.  None of us would even be here if not for their work and concern and effort.  So unless he is asking for your input or unless you are on the board of directors of BGR, then you don't have a dog in the fight.  So give him a little bit of rope and let him do his thing. 

Keep on keeping on, QQ.  Stay on the right course and put the bumps in the road behind you and you will get to where you are going.
[quote author=TheBlackHole link=topic=20496.msg205265#msg205265 date=1141671743]
[/quote]

I couldn't have explained it better myself
I tell you all one thing. YOU ALL ARE THE REASON I WILL NOT CLOSE BGR. People here that support BGR and efforts we make. You all are what have made this site a success not me. Without people like you BGR wouldn't be nothing but and name. And excuse my french here. But BY GOD I'll go down with my ship.

ALL these Haters and Bashers can kiss my F**KING ASS. I'm doing this for you guys that appreciate it. To take BGR away from those that support and want it to be successful would be wrong. Im going to really BEEF up staff support here and well go on banning sprees to keep this place clean of maggots. We will try to conduct a meeting tonight in the mod forum and add at least 20 more staff members.  All of you that has stood behind us can help us keep this place clean.
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20496.msg205332#msg205332 date=1141676104]

I met theguru and had no problem with him. However, my problem comes in when being high up on the priority list means you can do anything on BGP. I.E. Birdsfan thought I was 20, in a stolen car, and that I knew the state that the driver was in when I decided to get in that stolen car, all of which are false. He proceedes to make comments about how I don't deserve anything, how I'm a dick, and how I'm just trying to robb people. I ask theguru about it, get blown off and told Birdsfan was "trying to help me." Someone want to try and explain that to me? So, alls I say is "a moderator offended me," and I get kicked off the site for good. If anyone would like to take a stab at that and tell me how it's not bullshit, please, feel free.

[/quote]BFritz, same thing happened to me, Watusi had it out fr me, next thing I know, after posting the same way for three plus years, im gone. It's pathetic.
[quote author=torQQue link=topic=20496.msg205396#msg205396 date=1141682075]
I tell you all one thing. YOU ALL ARE THE REASON I WILL NOT CLOSE BGR. People here that support BGR and efforts we make. You all are what have made this site a success not me. Without people like you BGR wouldn't be nothing but and name. And excuse my french here. But BY GOD I'll go down with my ship.

ALL these Haters and Bashers can kiss my F**KING ASS. I'm doing this for you guys that appreciate it. To take BGR away from those that support and want it to be successful would be wrong. Im going to really BEEF up staff support here and well go on banning sprees to keep this place clean of maggots. We will try to conduct a meeting tonight in the mod forum and add at least 20 more staff members. All of you that has stood behind us can help us keep this place clean.
[/quote]Preach on brother QQ