Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dorton 51 Pikeville 48 (Pike County Championship)
Congratulations Coach Davis and the Wildcats.
Congrats Dorton, you guys were playing the best basketball:notworthy in the county for the last month or so. No matter if you got in foul trouble or what, somebody stepped up and that's what it's all about. Nice job.
I would like to say congratulations to the Dorton Wildcats and a dear friend coach Davis. I told you it was your time.
Down goes PIKEVILLE. Great tournament this year final four teams very evenly matched any of the four teams could have won this year. Congrats to the Dorton Wildcats
Congrats Coach Davis and the Dorton Wildcats. You and your team are a class act.
Congrats Coach Davis!!! I'll pat myself on the back, as I called this one awhile back!! Any coaching positions that come open, High School or other-wise, Coach Davis better be on your short-list!!!
Great game Dorton! Hustle plays and defense won this game. Its been a while, glad to see it come back to Dorton.:Clap:
Congratulations Wildcats and Coach Davis :Thumbs:
Great game. Looks like Dorton is the number 1 team in the national now!!!
:hilarious:
great job wildcats! u make us proud...the future is still bright for pikeville...good job in making it that far
Got to see this one in person, really great game! Dorton lead pretty much from start to finish except for a quick span late in the fourth quarter where Pikeville took a one point lead. Hunter Swindell was head and shoulders the best player on the court during this one, he simply wanted it more then anyone. Lamont and Zach did a great job handling Pikeville's pressure. Ryder Johnson seemed to be the only player for Pikeville who showed up ready to play, everyone else either got into early foul trouble or just did not look ready to play. People was not even looking to shoot and making mistakes I don't usually see Pikeville make. Congrats to Coach Davis and all of Dorton, this has been a long time coming but fear it will become very common moving forward, especially once Shelby Valley middle school is built and opened.
Is Dorton and Virgie consolidating? I've heard yes and no
Team-----1st---2nd---3rd---4th

Dorton----16-----9----17-----9
Pikeville----7----13---11----17

For Dorton:

Lamont Wright 21 points (7-10 FG), 4 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists
Hunter Swindall 12 points, 9 rebounds
Cody Mullins 10 points (3-5 three pointers), 6 rebounds
Zachary Tackett 6 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds
Noah Perkins 2 points, 1 assist

For Pikeville:

Ryder Johnson 16 points
Blaine May 10 points
Cody Charles 10 points
Tanner Thompson 6 points
Steven Silvers 5 points
Zach Thacker 1 point

*I would like to say "thanks" to all the people who came up and said something to the kids or coaching staff after this win. Those words truly meant alot. The atmosphere in the gym today was as good as it could have been. The boys came out more focused than I have seen them all season. That was the most energetic start to a game that we've had as well. The kids on both teams left it all on the floor today and neither team deserved to lose. Pikeville is such a mentally tough team. No matter how much they get down, they never stop competing. We jumped up early, but they kept fighting back. We led by 5 at the half. Lamont Wright hit probably a 35 foot desperation fling at the end of the 3rd to give us an 11 point lead. Pikeville battled back in the forth to take the lead by 1, but Hunter Swindall immediately answered with a basket and foul on the other end. We held on at the end with just enough free throws and defense. Pikeville has a great thing going down there right now in all sports. They are loaded in the 7th grade, 6th grade, and younger teams. Lastly, I want to thank Coach Johnson from Pikeville for the extremely kind words he said to me after the game. He showed as much class and sportsmanship as anyone could have and it meant a lot to me.

To the boys on our team: You came out hungry and never let up, even through adversity. You have improved so much over the course of this season and that's all a coach can ask for. I love you all.
Congrats coach u just about completed the double
bigperm47 Wrote:Congrats coach u just about completed the double

Thanks, and almost. So close, yet so far away.
I would also like to commend Coach Rowe and the SV players and parents. They put on a great tournament. What an atmosphere in that gym today!
Congrats to Dorton! Big time win! Class act of a team and that's the most impressive thing of all.
^ Totally agree that place was a great atmosphere. You couldn't ask for any better for middle school b-ball. Coach Rowe deserves a golf clap, :Thumbs:
Great win... i said all season that Dorton was just as good as Pikeville, Paintsville and Louisa... Dorton started a little slow as Hunter was learning a new system... Congrats to Randy and all the Dorton players...
Congratulations to Coach Davis and the Dorton Wildcats. They came out with great intensity, and had great heart.. That's what you have to have to beat a good Pikeville team.
Congrats, Dorton. Heard it was a good game overall.
This was one of the best tournaments in years. The final 4 teams went at it from the tip off. The crowd was great......every game. The play in games had awesome crowds, the first round games had crowds you usually find in the finals, the semi-finals had an estimated crowd of around 1,000 and the finals.........you just had to be there. I woulsd like to thank all of the coaches and players for a great show. Congratulations to Dorton and Randy for winning the 2012 title and showing that anything can happen when the tournament starts. Thanks for the compliments for running a good tournament and hopefully we will get the chance to do it again one day.
Congrats to Dorton
I seen this one coming......Davis is a heck of a coach...Congrats to him and his team, They earned it......Swindell and Wright need to play more minutes for the high school IMO haha
Congrats Dorton!!! Touching moment seeing Coach Davis console his player whom had fouled out.....That is what sports should be about. Congrats Panthers on a great season. 2 Great teams fighting it out until the end. Great Game!!! How big was the 3 at the end of the 3rd?? Three pt differential for the final score......The 15th region has a bright future in basketball!!!!
I would like to send my congrats out to Coach Davis and the Dorton Wildcats for winning the County Championship. It could not have happened to a better group of young men, a very good coach and (an even better person.) With that being said this was one of the best games I have ever seen played at any level with a great atmosphere. :Thumbs:
Congrats to Dorton! You guys made the whole SV community proud, and I look forward to seeing those guys playing for the "big Wildcats" in the coming years. Sounds like it was a great game and a great atmosphere.

As others have mentioned earlier, Dorton is very lucky to have coach Davis up there. He is a great teacher who gets the most out of his players. Hopefully he doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Dorton! You guys are a class act!
What a great group of young men! All the credit should go to these players from Dorton they have worked very hard to do what their coaches have asked. I am extremely proud of every player in the program. I would also like to add that the fans all over the county played a big part in motivating this team which played with heart and determination the entire tournament. I also feel that if the community will rally around these two programs (Virgie and Dorton) and not allow jealously to override the fact that these kids from both schools respect one another and are very good friends off the court and want a chance to prove what they can do together. I believe when combined at Shelby Valley the sky is the limit to what they can accomplish both academically and athletically. (Keep the politics out of kids life!)
I hope we can do it again next season!
Congratulation Wildcats!
What a TEAM!
Cougar Connection Wrote:What a great group of young men! All the credit should go to these players from Dorton they have worked very hard to do what their coaches have asked. I am extremely proud of every player in the program. I would also like to add that the fans all over the county played a big part in motivating this team which played with heart and determination the entire tournament. I also feel that if the community will rally around these two programs (Virgie and Dorton) and not allow jealously to override the fact that these kids from both schools respect one another and are very good friends off the court and want a chance to prove what they can do together. I believe when combined at Shelby Valley the sky is the limit to what they can accomplish both academically and athletically. (Keep the politics out of kids life!)
I hope we can do it again next season!
Congratulation Wildcats!
What a TEAM!
They played a great game. They were simply the best team that day. Also you're right it was Dorton, Virgie, Johns Creek and Belfry against Pikeville that day. I actually witnessed adults (Not from Dorton mind you) screaming and stomping against the Panthers. I bet they felt like Duke playing in the NCAA tournament at Rupp...Hahaha.....Good game and GREAT atmosphere!!!