Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA/KYBOE
Has anyone heard the rule proposed by the KY Board of Education that any student transferring from a private to public or public to private school will become ineligible to play sports for 2 years??  Does anyone have a copy of it they could send me??  [email]jdaniels@lmasettlements.com[/email]

I was just asked to provide both legal and logical arguments against it, any suggestions??

My first thought is who governs middle and high school athletics, the KHSAA or KYBOE? 
Second, what is the benefit to the KYBOE and doesn't this substantially harm the strident?
Third, does the KYBOE use the rationale that sports are a "privilege" and not a "right" as does the KHSAA?
Fourth, does this limit intrastate commerce such as parents can't move within the state and give their child a full lifestyle with academics, athletics and social enrichment?
Fifth, does the rule pertain to all participation in after school activities such as clubs or academic teams?

Any thoughts are appreciated both for and against!!
I think the local BOE controls middle school sports.  But middle school students playing on a high school team are governed by KHSAA just as the high school team. 
The Proposed Rule By The KHSAA States That "Any Student That Has Participated In Any Varsity Game In Any Sport Before The Ninth Grade And Transfers, Is Ineligable For One Year At Any Level In Any Sport In High School, And For An Additonal Year At The Varsity Level.   I Interpet This To Say That If A  7Th Or 8Th Grader Is Good Enough To Play Varsity Competition In Any Sport At The High School Level, And For Some Reason Has To Transfer To Another Feeder School At Another High School, Then That Student Can't Compete In High School Varsity Competition For ( 2 ) Years After The Transfer. 
Maybe this will slow down transfers.