Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity wrestler John Fahy claims 4th title; 18th birthday proves one for record book
LEXINGTON, KY. — Happy birthday, indeed, John Fahy.

The Trinity High School senior entered the record book Saturday night, beating Campbell County's Paul Hamilton 11-3 to capture the 138-pound weight class during the State Wrestling Championships at the Kentucky Horse Park's Alltech Arena.

Fahy became just the sixth wrestler in the event's 49-year history to win four state championships. Woodford County's Harrison Courtney (2006-09) had been the last to accomplish the feat.

And Fahy did it on his 18th birthday, getting a serenade of "Happy Birthday" from the Trinity cheering section after his victory.

"My heart's still racing from it all," said Fahy, who finished his career unbeaten against Kentucky competition after winning five straight state titles (fourth-eighth grades) on the middle school level. "I was very relieved. All of the nerves just left. A big burden was lifted off."

Fahy received the Orville Williams Most Outstanding Wrestler award and was one of three Louisville wrestlers to capture state titles Saturday, all from Trinity. Brent Hitchings beat Central's Omar Jarvis 5-0 for the 160-pound title. Bobby Bryant routed Johnson Central's Sam Preston 9-0 for the 195 crown.

The three titles helped Trinity finish third in the team standings with 153.5 points. Campbell County posted four individual winners — Garth Yenter (120 pounds), Stephen Myers (152), Austin Myers (220) and Mason Franck (285) — and won its fourth state title with 196 points. Union County, last year's state champion, was second with 176 points.

Other Louisville-area teams in the top 10 were St. Xavier (seventh, 107 points), Oldham County (eighth, 105.5) and North Oldham (10th, 84.5).

As expected, Fahy was dominant on his way to a fourth state title.

He won his first four matches via two pins and two technical falls (15-point victories) before posting a major decision over Hamilton.

"It's about what I expected," said Fahy, the No. 13-ranked senior in the nation at 138 pounds by WrestlingUSA.com. "I was confident going in and relaxed and focused on what I wanted to do. … It definitely means a lot because it's been my goal for such a long time."

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...ks?Avis=B2