Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shepherd dazzles, offense explodes in UK's win over Xavier
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Behind a dominating first career start from freshman right-hander Chandler Shepherd and a three-hit game from catcher Luke Maile, the Kentucky baseball team pounded out 12 hits and posted a 9-2 win over Xavier, on a pleasant Wednesday night at Cliff Hagan Stadium

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/headline...86733.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
This has made my day. Very glad to see a mountain boy succeed.
Shep had his A game for this one. I followed a live feed and he completely dominated this one start to finish. Kept his pitch count low, and worked his breaking ball effectively to set up his fastball. Great to see a local guy succeed like this on the big stage.
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Chandler Shepherd got his first oppurtunity to shine for the UK Wildcats Wednesday as he took the mound against the Xavier Musketeers. Along with the 1,317 fans in attendance were family & friends of Shepherd.

The Wildcats were sporting a 7-0 record coming into the game facing the Musketeers at Cliff Hagan Stadium, home of the Wildcats. Shepherd got the 9-2 win over Xavier improving the Wildcats to 8-0 on the season.

UK's Chandler Shepherd takes a line shot off the leg from an Xavier player for an infield hitShepherd (1-0) threw 64 pitches on the night, 41 of them were for strikes as he gave up only two hits in his 5 scoreless innings to go with 1 walk & 5 strikeouts. Shepherd gave up his first hit in the 2nd inning when a line shot came off the bat of an Xavier player and bounced off his right leg for an infield hit. The fourth inning gave way to the second hit on the night by Shepherd as a Musketeer batter turned on a pitch down the right field line for a double.

Shepherd's first appearance on the mound came out of the bullpen as he gave up 2 runs in a three game home opener for the Wildcats last week.

"I felt good and ready to go," said Shepherd. " I knew I had a good defense out there behind me so I threw strikes. Both the breaking ball and fast ball were working for me tonight and I feel confident in my catcher with the signs that he gives me."

Shepherd, the top high school baseball prospect in Kentucky came out of LCHS in 2011. The 6'3" right hander signed with UK his senior year turning down an offer by the Chicago White Sox after being drafted in the 41st round in the Major League draft last year.

UK's freshman Chandler Shepherd is 1-0 on the season to help lead the Wildcats to an 8-0 start Shepherd finished his high school career with a 40-12 record, 512 strikeouts in 353 innings. As a senior Shepherd posted a 12-1 record with 139 strikeouts in 74 2/3 innings owning a 0.65 ERA. He ranks fifth all-time in career wins in the state and second all-time in career strikeouts.

Shepherd was also runner-up for Kentucky High School Mr. Baseball and the 2010-2011 Tony Curnutte Memorial Sportsman of the Year to go along with a state record with 46 consecutive scoreless innings pitched.

He led LC to the 15th Regional Championship and berth in the State Tournament in 2008, 2009, & 2011 and holds school records for batting average, strikeouts, hits, home runs, ERA, wins, shutouts, & RBI's.

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/usstate/uskentuc.htm
Thank Stardust....Appreciate the support! Nice to see honest support instead of snide remarks!!
Many thanks to "Dusty" for his informative posts. As to #14 a big heart felt thanks for a wonderful start in D1 baseball. There were those who doubted and will continue to do so. As to "Old Charlie Hustle" and your former 5, we were with you once in body and still at heart. We will be there when we can as I am sure you understand.
Nice pics SD.. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis