Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unbeaten Kentucky baseball team moves into rankings
The University of Kentucky, owner of the best record in NCAA Division I baseball at 11-0 this season, is ranked No. 23 in the Collegiate Baseball poll released Monday. Kentucky is off to the fourth-best start in the more than 100-year history of the program. Kentucky and Gonzaga (10-0) are the only two remaining undefeated teams in Division I.

The Wildcats are 11-0 for the first time since starting a school-record 19-0 during the 2007 and 2008 seasons. The 2000 UK team opened 15-0. The Wildcats lead the Southeastern Conference in batting average (.343), on-base percentage (.442) and fielding percentage (.983) and rank fifth in team ERA (2.64). UK has outscored its opponents 99-30. It ranks No. 11 in the NCAA in runs per game (9.0), No. 16 in runs allowed per game (2.7) and No. 6 in scoring margin (+6.3). Kentucky returns to action Tuesday with a 4 p.m. home game against Tennessee Tech at Cliff Hagan Stadium.

Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division I Poll

No. School (Record) Points Previous

1. Florida (10-1) 497 1

2. South Carolina (9-1) 494 2

3. Stanford (10-1) 492 3

4. Rice (11-1) 491 4

5. Texas A&M (11-1) 490 5

6. North Carolina (8-2) 486 6

7. Arkansas (11-2) 482 7

8. Florida St. (9-1) 478 10

9. Oregon (10-1) 474 15

10. Georgia Tech. (10-2) 471 12

11. Louisiana St. (10-2) 469 13

12. Cal. St. Fullerton (8-3) 468 17

13. Arizona St. (8-2) 466 11

14. Miami, Fla. (8-3) 464 8

15. Georgia (10-2) 461 9

16. Louisville (8-3) 459 14

17. Oklahoma (7-3) 457 16

18. Arizona (8-2) 455 18

19. Stetson (9-2) 453 19

20. Clemson (5-4) 448 20

21. Maryland (9-1) 445 27

22. Mississippi (9-2) 441 23

23. Kentucky (11-0) 438 -

24. Gonzaga (10-0) 436 -

25. California (8-2) 435 25

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/05/20962...rylink=cpy
[Image: http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2012/02...uSt.79.jpg]

UK's Luke Maile slid safely into home ahead of the tag by Morehead State University catcher Eric Bainer in the bottom of the third to give UK a 3-1 lead as the University of Kentucky played Morehead State University at Cliff Hagan Stadium in Lexington, Ky., Tuesday, February 28, 2012. Maile scored on a double steal as Cameron Flynn stole second.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/05/20962...rylink=cpy
Fools Gold. They have not played, nor is there one future decent team on their pre conference schedule.

Wait till the conference season starts. They and Tennessee will be last and next to dead last in the SEC.

I hate it, but that's the way it is.
Both remarks could perhaps be termed antiquated with the latter taken to a different perspective due to the origin. But at any rate it is perhaps noteworthy that the UK schedule outside the SEC is not world beating. I am thinking that coaches in D1 are much like any other level, in the sense that that there is a degree of preparedness, Most D1 coaches I am thinking would not want to start out with the Sox's or Phillies in Feb. Young players are to be developed not crushed in the mighty SEC. As to the 23 rating and undefeated status on March 6,I will take it anytime. As to the end of the road, we all may be again a little bit surprised. Perhaps not but I,ll take the high road.
haha...Ok Charlie...Ok

Gosh it's just an opinion, it certainly aint nothing personal. If anybody ever wanted them to suceed it's me, but unfortunately I dont think I'm wrong,for this year anyways....Wish I was, but dont think so.
They are getting beat ATM. Shep got knocked around. Three runs in three innings of work. Uks offense didn't look to good so far today. I thought the TTU pitcher was going to get knocked around his stuff doesn't look that good from the stands
They're from the OVC, aren't they?
Bob Seger Wrote:haha...Ok Charlie...Ok

Gosh it's just an opinion, it certainly aint nothing personal. If anybody ever wanted them to suceed it's me, but unfortunately I dont think I'm wrong,for this year anyways....Wish I was, but dont think so.
Understand completely Bob and certainly respect your opinion. You know with 6 SEC teams above the 23 that's a mighty hard row to hoe for the cats. Ya just have to kind of enjoy what you have while you have it and just hope for the best in the future. As has been previously discussed ,sometimes those D1's{not in a major conference},NAIA and JUCO can put on a pretty good game for anyone. I imagine thats why this game is so special. In that respect it is nothing like Football and Basketball.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Both remarks could perhaps be termed antiquated with the latter taken to a different perspective due to the origin. But at any rate it is perhaps noteworthy that the UK schedule outside the SEC is not world beating. I am thinking that coaches in D1 are much like any other level, in the sense that that there is a degree of preparedness, Most D1 coaches I am thinking would not want to start out with the Sox's or Phillies in Feb. Young players are to be developed not crushed in the mighty SEC. As to the 23 rating and undefeated status on March 6,I will take it anytime. As to the end of the road, we all may be again a little bit surprised. Perhaps not but I,ll take the high road.
FSU played the Phils a week ago.

Same story, different year. UK will compile a fantastic non-conference record against the sisters of the poor and then bomb in SEC Play. Since Cohen left, it has been all downhill from there.
Panther Thunder Wrote:FSU played the Phils a week ago.

Same story, different year. UK will compile a fantastic non-conference record against the sisters of the poor and then bomb in SEC Play. Since Cohen left, it has been all downhill from there.
Suppose we could get you on board in Basketball PT? Everybody loves a winner. I am sitting here thinking that a lot of very good teams would find the SEC tough sledding. Maybe even the Semi's. By the way how did they do? Were they by chance added to MLB.
Charlie,

IMO you are taking this way way way too personal. A lot of us love Kentucky football too, but are clearly able to see that they are not up to par with the rest of the major college world in both sports. I have a deep appreciation for the coach and the UK program, but the fact is they are just not going to be very strong this year. I really really really like Gary Henderson and for my own personal reasons want him to succeed, so there's no reason to blast all of us that just state the facts. Just him taking an excessive amount of personal time to spend with my youngest son a couple of months ago and him inquiring about the well being of my oldest is well reason enough to love the guy. Gosh, if anybody anywhere should have an emotional attachment to the program, it me. Way more so than yourself. Nobody is bashing the program, staff, or the players, and we should be able to point out that their #23 ranking is a little undeserved based on strength of schedule played up to this point wihout being unjustly labeled as haters. It has nothing to do with anyone climbing on bandwagons either.

As PT said, since Cohen left , for whatever reason it may be, both he and Henderson have struggled since going solo. They were a great tandem though.
Bob Seger Wrote:Charlie,

IMO you are taking this way way way too personal. A lot of us love Kentucky football too, but are clearly able to see that they are not up to par with the rest of the major college world in both sports. I have a deep appreciation for the coach and the UK program, but the fact is they are just not going to be very strong this year. I really really really like Gary Henderson and for my own personal reasons want him to succeed, so there's no reason to blast all of us that just state the facts. Just him taking an excessive amount of personal time to spend with my youngest son a couple of months ago and him inquiring about the well being of my oldest is well reason enough to love the guy. Gosh, if anybody anywhere should have an emotional attachment to the program, it me. Way more so than yourself. Nobody is bashing the program, staff, or the players, and we should be able to point out that their #23 ranking is a little undeserved based on strength of schedule played up to this point wihout being unjustly labeled as haters. It has nothing to do with anyone climbing on bandwagons either.

As PT said, since Cohen left , for whatever reason it may be, both he and Henderson have struggled since going solo. They were a great tandem though.
Bob please don't misunderstand me. Ky of cource has never or almost never been any kind of a factor in college baseball. Especially in consideration of their conf. Aff. I am merely trying to be supportative of them as an undefeated team at the time of the rating. Nothing more or nothing less. Just trying to give the Blue a little positive comment. Not suggesting a series appearance. Played with and againist a few of these kids so just call me an average fan of wildcat baseball. Heck a local attorney and former UK Football player and I set down and talk about promising seasons. Been doing that for awhile. See ya at the series.:biggrin:
Awesome! Sounds like the basketball teams success is spilling over onto the baseball field!! Go Bat Cats!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Suppose we could get you on board in Basketball PT? Everybody loves a winner. I am sitting here thinking that a lot of very good teams would find the SEC tough sledding. Maybe even the Semi's. By the way how did they do? Were they by chance added to MLB.
No chance, lol, not a bandwagon fan. I will bleed garnet and gold until I leave this planet.

Noles took a 6-1 L in the game.

And as for FSU competing in the SEC, this year that may hold true, #8 is too high for a club with sketchy (at best) pitching. But on a consistent basis, the top of the ACC is just as good as the SEC and the Noles do just fine. Just ask the boys from Gainesville about the 1-3 record they recorded against FSU last season.

FSU is #8 for name alone at this point. If by some chance they can find a couple strong weekend arms, I may become more optimistic, but even with Gilmartin on the hill last season, pitching was a weakness. Take him away and well, years of poor pitching recruiting, and this is what they have. Give first year pitching Coach Mike Bell a couple of years to get his guys and hopefully this will be a program poised to go get that elusive first CWS Title.
Panther Thunder Wrote:No chance, lol, not a bandwagon fan. I will bleed garnet and gold until I leave this planet.

Noles took a 6-1 L in the game.

And as for FSU competing in the SEC, this year that may hold true, #8 is too high for a club with sketchy (at best) pitching. But on a consistent basis, the top of the ACC is just as good as the SEC and the Noles do just fine. Just ask the boys from Gainesville about the 1-3 record they recorded against FSU last season.

FSU is #8 for name alone at this point. If by some chance they can find a couple strong weekend arms, I may become more optimistic, but even with Gilmartin on the hill last season, pitching was a weakness. Take him away and well, years of poor pitching recruiting, and this is what they have. Give first year pitching Coach Mike Bell a couple of years to get his guys and hopefully this will be a program poised to go get that elusive first CWS Title.
Let me see PT, A C C. Atlantic Coast Conference right. Now if what little mind I have is with me this AM the Game Cocks live in SC on the Atlantic Coast.Does that mean?????????:biggrin: On a serious note if it is baseball and it is Flordia it is going to be pretty dog gone good not to be confused with the Georgia Dawgs.Anyway the real season and the only season has begun. Bat crack,leather pop and sunshine.
CATS are now 13-0.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
16-0 now
18-0 Starts SEC play later today
After yesterday walkoff win, they are the last undefeated team remaining.
However, just a little review. The cats are 19-0 and the only undefeated team in the country. At this time they are 1-0 in the SEC. They have managed to pull a win from the #2 and 2011 National Champs. I suppose that means that they also slipped a little yellow mineral from the Sisters Of The Rich.Heck I'll take a 1-2 but would really like a 3-0. Remember, just having a little fun while I attempt to "enjoy". You know what they say about the sun.
Bob Seger Wrote:Fools Gold. They have not played, nor is there one future decent team on their pre conference schedule.

Wait till the conference season starts. They and Tennessee will be last and next to dead last in the SEC.

I hate it, but that's the way it is.

2-0 in conference play so far.
Benchwarmer Wrote:2-0 in conference play so far.

Yep. Looks good so far. Hopefully I was wrong.
Bob Seger Wrote:Yep. Looks good so far. Hopefully I was wrong.
Me to Bob. The road is long and winding and far from the end. It would be nice to see the Cats keep the motor running.With a lot of work now it will also be nice to see some young hurlers we know get quality preforms. I was happy to see Shepherd get 2 wins and Gott the save in the SC game and pitch in a bunch of other games. That save was with an All-Americian on the mound for the Gamecocks. (I Think) I have not seen Gott pitch since an AL game a couple of years ago. Anyway best of luck to the cats.
21-0 3-0 in SEC play get out South Carolina
Not a bad series sweeping last years National Champs
Stardust Wrote:Not a bad series sweeping last years National Champs
Anytime!!!!!:biggrin::Thumbs: