Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you start watching Pro Wrestling
I'm a child of the 80's.... And growing up, Hulk Hogan was my idol. I used to save the plastic bags from walmart after mom got finished putting the groceries up, just so I could tear them off like Hogan did when I watched him wrestle. I've dressed up as The Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage for halloween when I was younger. Every year for Christmas and Easter.... Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny always brought me new wrestling figures or the newest ring. I begged and pleaded with mom and dad to take me to Huntington and Charleston W. Va and Lexington and Louisville Ky. to watch WWF/WCW events... I took my 7th grade yearbook picture wearing a Stone Cold Steve Austin t-shirt.

Then when I got in to high school, I started wrestling for Johnson Central... and needless to say, I lost all interest for in pro wrestling. Every now and then I'll check out a PPV at a friends house but not often.
But here's what sticks out in my brain about being a pro wrestling fan..... Before every bout I wrestled in school, I could "hear" Howard Finkle announcing my name like I was the main event at WrestleMania. I could hear the entrance music for the wrestlers I grew up watching. And after I won a bout, I could "hear" The Fink saying....... THE WINNER OF THE MATCH......... AAANNNDDD NNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION CHAMPION.............
I used to travel to my Aunt's in Indiana when I was little. My uncle used to watch Wrestling from Chicago and he was over the top. The more I watched it with him, the more I thought it was cool.

Granted, it was guys that I never would see again when I would go back home, but that got me to start watching at home. Then it was Mid-Atlantic Wrestling on late night television. But the NWA stars were just awesome. Once I saw Dusty Rhodes, well, the rest was History!!!
I remember my neighbor watching me once while my dad and my uncle went out somewhere....

My neighbor was watching Wrestlemania 6 live, and I just remember watching Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan and just hooked up, the crowd, the lights...just everything.

But I didn't really begin watching full time until around '94.
My grandpa watched it 24/7.
He was the type of guy that would go to a truck stop in the middle of the night and by a recording of a pay per view on a vhs tape back in the 80s and 90s from one of his friends who had bought it and taped it for him. He would pay whatever the guy wanted lol.
He hated the talking, acting and show boating. He loved the actual wrestling part and really cared for how well they performed. He got me interested in that, i no longer watch the junk thats on now, but was a huge fan as a kid.
My Grandfather would take me to the ICW when it came to Hazard and I remember going to A.B. Combs with him and watching The King, Randy Savage, Bill Dundee, The Boogy Woogie Man, Handsome Jimmy Valant and then seeing him yelling at the television when he was watching Gordon Solie do play by play on WCW....That got me hooked and have been hooked ever since and I'm 43 now, so I have passed this love onto my sons...Which two years ago, my son and I went to Orlando Florida to watch Wrestlemania and saw Rick Flairs last match in WWE...
When I was around 4 years old, I was hospitalized for about a week with an illness and I remember lying in the hospital bed, on a Saturday morning, waiting for one of my favorite cartoons to come on when my dad switches the channel to ICW wrestling and would not turn it back. The first wrestler I saw was "The One Man Gang" Ronnie Garvin and after about 10 minutes, I was hooked. After that, I started watching every wrestling show I could find and have been a huge mark since.
Stone Cold Steve Austin. I don't exactly remember the age I was when I Started watching it but I was little and after I seen the first episode of WWF Raw, I just continued watching it. When I was little and didn't know any better I was so terrified of the Undertaker and Kane lol especially Undertaker when he was sacrificing people and trying to in bomb them lol
I started watching wrestling around 64 with my grandfather every sat evening at 5. It was on wchs8 Mr Wrestling, the Andersons, johnny weaver glenn becker, george and sandy scott, jerry brisco. The list could go on for ever I've been hooked on the sport for almost 50 years. What I see in the ring today isn't what I grew up with yes they are bigger and stronger. The show they put on is so weak compared to the good wrestling. The old guys could handle the mike so much better than today. For me old school is the best the 60's thru the 90's it was the best!
^ Dream, you need to pop on here more often and give us your insights from your years as a fan. I've been hooked on the sport for many years and have enjoyed learning about the workers prior to the mid-80's, but have never had someone who could give me insights who actually saw the talent.
I started watching ICW and loved the Macho Man Randy Savage. He came to Betsy Layne and I got to meet him and have him sign a few photos. I then got into Mid Atlantic Wresting and NWA and got to go to Huntington to watch it a few times.
In the early days of cable TV, we only had 5 stations. One of the was from Pittsburgh. Every Saturday afternoon, they would have Studio Wrestling. I grew up watching Bruno Samartino. When I was in College in the early 80's, we used to have dorm parties on Saturday nights watching NWA Wrestling from Atlanta on WTBS.
ICW coming to local high schools I seen Macho Man and Ronnie Garvin fight many times before they were famous. Then came the Road Warriors
It looks like I really missed on ICW. I am going to have find some matches on youtube
I watched it occasionally growing up. It was the boom of the late 90's that hooked me in...first got hooked on WCW by watching their program, and developed a strong hatred for the NWO and wanted to see them go down. Then some friends got me watching WWF with Stone Cold and the Attitude Era...so I went back and forth between both.

I would give a lot to have grown up watching it during the 80's though...actually I would give a lot just to have grown up during that time period. IMO the best decade ever!
Stardust Wrote:It looks like I really missed on ICW. I am going to have find some matches on youtube

Here's a cool ICW page.

http://www.freewebs.com/icwpoffouniverse/
^ i did a little research on ICW. I remember watching a lot of Memphis wrestling, and now I realize it was ICW they were showing when they showed footage in Kentucky