Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer 7 Boyd Co 1
April 11, 2012

Kittens come up big without star player
Rocky Stanley
The Independent The Daily Independent Wed Apr 11, 2012, 01:05 AM EDT

ASHLAND — Ashland freshman Megan Hensley found out after school Tuesday that All-State teammate Kelsee Hammonds wouldn’t be able to pitch that evening due to illness.

The realization instantly hit Hensley — she would be in the circle against rival Boyd County just a few hours later.

“No lie, I was nervous,” Hensley said.

She hid it well. Hensley allowed only four singles in beating the Lady Lions 7-1. She aided her cause with two hits and scored twice out of the leadoff spot, normally occupied by Hammonds.

“Megan was awesome,” coach Dave Miller said. “It’s a huge win from the fact that today we lost Kelsee, who is hitting like .720 and throwing fantastic. I wanted to see how the kids would respond.”

Ashland, 9-0, scored three runs in each of the fourth and fifth innings after trailing 1-0.

“I’m absolutely thrilled with the team tonight,” Miller said. “It was a great growing experience.”

Miller said it will likely be determined today if Hammonds has mononucleosis.

“Her energy level has been down,” said the Kittens’ coach. “Kelsee went to Urgent Care (Monday) night. She wasn’t able to get in to see her family doctor (Tuesday). Hopefully, it will not be mono and we can have her back. If that’s not the case, we will have to move forward.”

Hammonds gave the Kittens a huge boost despite not playing. She sat in the dugout, took part in the pregame meeting of team captains, coaches and umpires at home plate, and provided pitching tips to Hensley.

“Kelsee was still there for support,” Hensley said. “She helped me with my changeup before the game.”

Hensley is no stranger to pitching success this season. She tossed a no-hitter against Lawrence County in the first of her two starts before Tuesday.

Popping the ball into her glove between pitches against Boyd County, Hensley struck out five batters in the first two innings. A leadoff walk to Taylor Newsome in the third led to Kaitlin Brown’s RBI single — the first hit of the game.

Boyd County, averaging nine runs in a 9-2 start, had to settle for the single run as Hensley continued to pitch effectively and received error-free defensive support. Center fielder Kat Jackson made a charging grab in the fourth inning and doubled a runner off second base.

“The defense was great,” Hensley said. “I knew I just needed to get the ball over the plate.”

Boyd County coach Geoff Stewart tipped his cap to Hensley but said the Lady Lions didn’t do a good job of making adjustments at the plate.

Conversely, Miller liked the way his hitters adapted after Boyd County starter Lora Thompson worked three perfect innings, including three strikeouts.

The Kittens scored three runs with two outs in the fourth inning, aided by two walks and a hit-by-pitch. Katie Caron drew a free pass with the bases loaded to plate Ashland’s first run and sophomore Sydney Whitt followed with a two-run single into short left field.

“Sydney Whitt is a gamer for us,” Miller said of the Russell transfer. “She battles harder than anybody. The way she fought off that inside pitch for a big hit was pure will.”

Ashland’s bats really came to life in the fifth. McKenzie Vanover and Emily Preece laced back-to-back RBI doubles down the left-field line and Jordan Hensley followed with a run-scoring single to make it 6-1.

“Lora got behind in the count and got a couple of pitches up,” Stewart said. “Those two girls are in the middle of the lineup for a reason, and they did what good hitters are suppose to do. Beside that one inning, Lora pitched a good game.”

Stewart made a pitching change after five innings and Whitt led off Ashland’s sixth with a line shot over the left-field fence for her first homer as a member of the Kittens.

“It was one of those that you don’t feel a thing when you hit it,” Whitt said. “It was right off the sweet spot.”

Whitt received a big welcome from teammates after crossing the plate.

“It’s a great feeling,” she said. “Everyone on the team is dedicated and has really welcomed me. We knew Boyd County was one of the big competitive teams in the region. It goes to show what we are made of.”

Boyd County tried to rally in the seventh, getting leadoff singles from Nicole Goins and Allison Roark. But Hensley retired the last three batters. Preece snagged a foul pop at the back screen, and Megan Griffith, making her first varsity start at shortstop, handled a grounder for the final out.

“We had to put some kids in different situations tonight,” Miller said. “They played above and beyond my expectations.”

BOYD CO. 001 000 0 — 1 4 1

ASHLAND 000 331 x — 7 8 0

Thompson, Meade (6) and Roark; Hensley and Preece. W—Hensley. L—Thompson. 2B—Vanover (A), Preece (A). HR—Whitt (A).

Congrats to Ashland on the win.
Nice job! Ashland is playing great ball right now!! Keep it up girls!
The gap between Ashland and everyone else in the 16th is ridiculous. IMO, the best team on the East side of I-75.
LC you are right. They are the best east of 75. But they really need to play more teams west. It would help them to get even better. Have you heard any more concerning there #1 pitcher that was sick? They hit the ball very well. I should say they adjust there hitting in the later innings very nicely. Very nice team....