Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Newsday Article On Tubby Smith
Here's a few selected lines from the article on Tubby.....

And speaking of road, will this mean Tubby will hit it soon? If his championship in 1998 represented the best of times in Lexington, this represents the worst. His legion of doubters are swelling and the length of his trips through the NCAA tourney is shrinking. Kentucky basketball doesn't show the same luster as it once did, not when the Wildcats lose to Vanderbilt twice, not when Smith can't round up enough top recruits, and not when Web sites and chat rooms are suddenly filled with Tubby thumpers.

Given how Smith's team struggled through a 21-12 season, Kentucky may not survive against UAB and if it does, the Wildcats will need plenty to get past Connecticut, the expected opponent come Sunday.

You hardly notice Kentucky's in the tourney. That's how bad it seems. A favorable tourney spot and a strong showing in March was once nearly automatic for the country's winningest program. At first, the tradition of Kentucky basketball, restored proudly by Rick Pitino, was maintained by Smith when he replaced Pitino and kept Kentucky in the title hunt.

And then spoiled by three straight championship game appearances in the late '90s, Kentucky faithful have been exposed to this: No Final Fours since and only one recruiting class recognized as the best in the nation.

Another subpar season by Kentucky standards could have Smith leaning toward taking the first decent NBA job available, because in the past, a number of general managers spoke highly of Smith and saw the NBA in his future.

Smith would be wise to jump, if that happened. Kentucky can be an uncomfortable place for coaches who take too much time between Final Four trips.

.....AMEN!!  :thumpsup:

CLICK THIS LINK for entire article on Tubby.
I get to burn this one up right here....

Thanks for leaving out the following as well Yellow Snow...

Smith has won 77 percent of his games in nine years and just two years ago won 28 games and the coach of the year award in his conference. He's also starting three sophomores and his front line is mostly good and tall. Besides, even traditional programs are entitled to a poor season. Anyone see Oklahoma football lately? Smith has earned the right to get a pass this season

Selective reading is really something isn't it?

But that article was pretty interesting...

Im still amazed by the fact that a 21 win season is so terrible to certain fans...The fact that so many teams are down this year, and the only people calling for coaches heads are Kentucky and Indiana...Tubby is too smart to roll over and play dead like Davis...

The fact that great coaches like Lute Olsen at Zona is struggling this year and nobody is mentioning that...
How about the fact that Michigan State basically returned their whole team from a final four last year and reached double digit loses this season, yet I see nobody calling for Izzo's job? Yet he has underachieved more than anybody in the nation this year...Tubby lost 2 of his top 3 scorers from last season, and a team leader that was amazing...

Thing I find really intersting about that artricle is how he repeats that the expectations are unreal and the fans are spoiled and you're proud of that Yellow Snow..You're proud of being spoiled with your average of 1 national title every 14 years or so, because 7 titles in over 100 years is 1 per over 14 years...

The fact that he called Tubbys recent recruiting into question is interesting because even without Wright we're a top 10 class, and with Smith and Jones close to sign we'd be a top 5 class...

By the way, Tubby isn't going anywhere...
Tubbys awful recruit Jodie Meeks is going to be on FSN here in a minute on Countdown to Signning Day talking about what made him want to come to UK if anybody is interested..
I was being sarcastic by the way about him being awful...But according to yellow snow he is so I just went ahead and put it...:lol:
Meeks seemed like a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders, and seemed eager to come in and help Kentucky...I really think Meeks could be one of the best to ever put on the blue and white over the last 15 years or so with all the weapons he has...
where is he from?
Norcross High School Georgia
yeah 21 to 27 win seasons is pretty good season not to mention in 2004 they where picked to win it  all with winning like 23 games in a row or something.. but just because someone win that many games and 77 percent of his games and a coach of the year are pretty impressive but at the university of kentucky we want final four apperences a championship or a least a championship apperence.. if they won 16 games and had to win the sec championship to get in the tourny and did and then went on to go to the final four that would be great.. i just want to see the hardware not sec tourny trophys im talkin about final four apperences .. this is the university of kentucky not EKU or WKU the most winningest school of all time im just tired of getting bumped in the 2nd round every year.. i understand that every coach has a bad year and this one is pretty bad but with a name like kentucky on the front of the jersey is suppose to go far in the tourny look at duke 9 yrs in a row to the sweet 16 when was the last for uk when was the last final four for uk i just wish we had a new coach ne one
Read the article in the LHL about UCONN'S Rudy Gay being recruited by Tub to play for UK.  Said the reason he didn't want to come to Kentucky was because he'd have to set the bench as a freshman.  The word on Tub is out to all the recruits, basically lose one year experience by signing with UK. (see Hansborough, Young, Wright, etc)
Alfus its amazing how people only show you what thay want you to see huh. Kinda of like how the government tried ot censor what we say about Vietnam lol. Is yellowsnow charlie? lol Thanks for showing me the otherside of the article Alfus.
[quote author=TE#82 link=topic=21022.msg213607#msg213607 date=1142733729]
yeah 21 to 27 win seasons is pretty good season not to mention in 2004 they where picked to win it  all with winning like 23 games in a row or something.. but just because someone win that many games and 77 percent of his games and a coach of the year are pretty impressive but at the university of kentucky we want final four apperences a championship or a least a championship apperence.. if they won 16 games and had to win the sec championship to get in the tourny and did and then went on to go to the final four that would be great.. i just want to see the hardware not sec tourny trophys im talkin about final four apperences .. this is the university of kentucky not EKU or WKU the most winningest school of all time im just tired of getting bumped in the 2nd round every year.. i understand that every coach has a bad year and this one is pretty bad but with a name like kentucky on the front of the jersey is suppose to go far in the tourny look at duke 9 yrs in a row to the sweet 16 when was the last for uk when was the last final four for uk i just wish we had a new coach ne one
[/quote]26 games in a row that year, went to the elite 8 last year and got beat by MSU. so quick to forget.