Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All "A" Classic April 28-29
Just for the record, PHS went 3-2.

Agree, they did not do a ton to make a splash on a statewide seen. BUT, still a solid performance against school of similar school of similar size on a state level. You've got to start somewhere and this will be a good start if the staff stays in place for the foreseeable future.
You're right.

Pikeville went 3-2 and I had them 2-2 -- twice. I goofed.

Still doesn't change much. A 3-2 showing in the TSOA at Meade County or the Capital City Showcase in Frankfort or the Bob Jones in Alabama or the Sports Warehouse Classic in Owensboro (this coming weekend's loaded tourney) turns more heads.

I'm not a Pikeville or Jenkins hater, per se. Never been there. Never been to any rivals.

To get respect, you gotta do what the respect-worthy teams have done. And fwiw, neither Pikeville nor Jenkins has done that. Jenkins is 0-3 against Pikeville (having been outscored 20-0) and Pikeville has gotten smacked around by the few ranked teams it has played.

Pikeville's best wins are Gallatin, Glasgow or Magoffin. ... For a team some EKY folks say deserves respect from the rest of the state, that's not saying much.

Jenkins has beaten ???
cksportsfan Wrote:You're right.

Still doesn't change much. A 3-2 showing in the TSOA at Meade County or the Capital City Showcase in Frankfort or the Bob Jones in Alabama or the Sports Warehouse Classic in Owensboro (this coming weekend's loaded tourney) turns more heads.

I'm not a Pikeville or Jenkins hater, per se. Never been there. Never been to any rivals.

To get respect, you gotta do what the respect-worthy teams have done. And fwiw, neither Pikeville nor Jenkins has done that. Jenkins is 0-3 against Pikeville (having been outscored 20-0) and Pikeville has gotten smacked around by the few ranked teams it has played.

Pikeville's best wins are Gallatin, Glasgow or Magoffin. ... For a team some EKY folks say deserves respect from the rest of the state, that's not saying much.

Jenkins has beaten ???
Who is saying they deserve respect?

IMO, PHS is not in the top 35. I just think you are arguing against something that doesn't exist. You took a "may turn some heads" comment (which i believe was just thrown in as a compliment to these teams, nothing more) and turned it into someone demanding respect.
cksportsfan Wrote:You're right.

Jenkins has beaten ???

Really???!!! Is that all you have to do? You made up an argument just so you could take a shot at people from EKY. I didnt see anyone post that Pikeville should be ranked, if I missed it point it out to me. Just someone trying to give a compliment.

Get a life dude. Let people celebrate a job well done.
Below were comments made on the earlier KSCA Poll threads:

heftylefty Wrote:If Jenkins should have received votes, how about Pikeville? Pikeville is 3-0 vs Jenkins this season, with three shut outs. The Lady Panthers are 19-6, having won two games this past week on the road at Belfry and at Johnson Central, while pounding out 31 hits in the two games. Big tests coming up this week end at the all a in owensboro.
Strikeout King Wrote:Not sure why Jenkins didn't get any votes for the Top 25. I figured a 19-4 Record going into last night's game would have been enough. Jenkins did deserve to at least get some votes for the Top 25
cksportsfan Wrote:Below were comments made on the earlier KSCA Poll threads:
Well to those comments, I would be on your side.

I was just going by what is on this thread.
I don't think I ever have but for once I'm agreeing with Outsidein. Rankings are a joke. I'm not sure how a 9-5 Marshall County, 11-10 South Laurel, 12-11 Apollo and other's that have records similar to these that got votes that shouldn't have. There were teams that have only 4-6 losses that should have either been in the top 25 or gotten more votes for the Top 25.
Strikeout King Wrote:I don't think I ever have but for once I'm agreeing with Outsidein. Rankings are a joke. I'm not sure how a 9-5 Marshall County, 11-10 South Laurel, 12-11 Apollo and other's that have records similar to these that got votes that shouldn't have. There were teams that have only 4-6 losses that should have either been in the top 25 or gotten more votes for the Top 25.
South Laurel beat the living hell out of Pikeville.

Marshall County beat Heath, a team that beat Pikeville badly. Marshall County's two biggest loss differentials are to teams ranked in the top 5.

Apollo has only 1 loss to a team not in the top 25 or receiving 10+ votes (and out of state Castle, IN)

Walton-Verona is towards the bottom of the "receiving votes" list and still beat Pikeville 5-0.

Pikeville definitely does not deserve to be ranked at this point, and Jenkins hasn't even scored on Pikeville in 3 games.

Record does not alone indicate the quality of a team. A win over a bad team is not as impressive as a 1-3 run loss to a top 25 team.

Look, I am biased, and would LOVE to see PHS up there, but I still believe your argument is not valid.
Strikeout King Wrote:I don't think I ever have but for once I'm agreeing with Outsidein. Rankings are a joke. I'm not sure how a 9-5 Marshall County, 11-10 South Laurel, 12-11 Apollo and other's that have records similar to these that got votes that shouldn't have. There were teams that have only 4-6 losses that should have either been in the top 25 or gotten more votes for the Top 25.

What teams that have 4-6 losses that should be in the top 25?

Heck, Louisville Butler has FOUR wins over current top 20 teams and Butler can't even break the top 25?

It's easy to say "This team shouldn't be ranked" or "This team is way too low."

You call the rankings joke, yet are you willing to throw out a top 25 of your own?
Panther Thunder Wrote:South Laurel beat the living hell out of Pikeville.

Marshall County beat Heath, a team that beat Pikeville badly. Marshall County's two biggest loss differentials are to teams ranked in the top 5.

Apollo has only 1 loss to a team not in the top 25 or receiving 10+ votes (and out of state Castle, IN)

Walton-Verona is towards the bottom of the "receiving votes" list and still beat Pikeville 5-0.

Pikeville definitely does not deserve to be ranked at this point, and Jenkins hasn't even scored on Pikeville in 3 games.

Record does not alone indicate the quality of a team. A win over a bad team is not as impressive as a 1-3 run loss to a top 25 team.

Look, I am biased, and would LOVE to see PHS up there, but I still believe your argument is not valid.

I wasn't talking about Pikeville not getting any votes.

Magoffin County (17-6) got a vote, who have they beat? Rowan (18-11) They played Wolfe County (5-17) 3 times, 2 of the 3 were won by 3 runs, the other game was won by 5. They only beat Rockcastle County a team that's 9-16 by 2 Runs, They were mercy ruled by a 14-10 Paintsville team.

Warren East (8-8) 3 votes for the Top 25. 3 of those 8 wins were against out of state teams.

cksportsfan Wrote:What teams that have 4-6 losses that should be in the top 25?

Heck, Louisville Butler has FOUR wins over current top 20 teams and Butler can't even break the top 25?

It's easy to say "This team shouldn't be ranked" or "This team is way too low."

You call the rankings joke, yet are you willing to throw out a top 25 of your own?

Walton-Verona (19-6) (They should have gotten more votes then what they did)

Lone Oak (18-3) def. #19 Heath, defeated Calloway County twice, calloway had 12 votes for the top 25

Bourbon County (17-6) def. Butler (27 votes for top 25), def. Montgomery County and lost to Montgomery County

Mercer County (21-5) def. Butler County (11 votes for top 25)

Franklin-County (16-9) haven't even defeated anyone in the Top 25 or anyone with votes for the top 25 but yet they got 16 votes? They did lose by 1 to #18 CAL.

Glasgow (14-9) Same situation as Franklin County. They did however defeat 1 top 25 team in Bowling Green.

This isn't a knock to any of these teams, coaches or the coaches that do the Top 25. Just trying to figure out how some teams got votes for the Top 25 when other deserving teams should have been in the Top 25 or at least tied with some teams for that Ranking Spot
how would you all rank them?

I feel that Lone Oak should have gotten in the Top 25. Mercer County (21-5) They should have gotten some votes for the Top 25, whether it been 1 vote or 40 votes.
Only seven members of the top 25 have more than 6 losses and five of those are ranked 19th or worse:
09 Owensboro Catholic (14-8-1)
14 Central Hardin (16-7)
19 Heath (16-9)
20 Eastern (20-8)
20 Pleasure Ridge Park (13-8)
23 Hopkins County Central (13-7)
24 Muhlenberg County (18-8)

Which means 18 members of the top 25 have 6 or less losses:
01 Allen County-Scottsville (21-2)
13 Ashland Blazer (16-2)
06 Assumption (24-5)
02 Ballard (19-3)
15 Bowling Green (17-4-1)
17 Bullitt East (16-6)
18 Christian Academy-Louisville (18-5)
05 Christian County (14-2)
22 Grayson County (22-3)
10 Green County (22-2)
07 Greenwood (16-4)
03 Lafayette (21-1)
25 Livingston Central (22-4)
08 Male (15-6)
04 Mercy (17-4)
16 North Laurel (22-5)
12 Reidland (18-6)
11 Scott County (22-6-1)

WHICH LEAVES YOU THIS LIST OF 30 TEAMS THAT SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 25 OR GET MORE TOP 25 VOTES:
Atherton (15-3)
Bethlehem (13-6)
Bishop Brossart (17-6)
Boone County (13-6)
Bourbon County (17-6)
Breathitt County (12-1)
Bullitt Central (14-6)
Dixie Heights (13-6)
East Carter (17-5)
East Ridge (14-5)
Estill County (17-6)
Gallatin County (15-5)
Harrison County (14-5-1)
Jackson City (11-6)
Lone Oak (18-3)
Magoffin County (17-6)
Marion County (12-4)
Marshall County (9-5)
Menifee County (11-5)
Mercer County (21-5)
Montgomery County (14-6)
Murray (13-5)
Newport (13-5)
Nicholas County (18-3)
Notre Dame (13-5)
Oldham County (21-6)
St. Henry (15-6)
Union County (14-6)
Walton-Verona (19-6)
West Carter (9-6)

No offense, but NONE of those remaining 30 teams with 6 or less losses screams “top-25 screwjob” to me.

If anyone is getting screwed, it's Louisville Butler, which has FOUR wins over current Top-20 teams and yet is still not ranked.

Lone Oak (currently 26th) should crack the top 25.

Walton-Verona, as mentioned above, was ranked back-to-back weeks but hasn't picked up a good win since.

Five of Bourbon's losses are to unranked teams. It beat Louisville Butler, but also lost to 11-loss Bracken County. And the one loss to a Top-25 team was by mercy rule No. 20 Eastern (which has eight losses).

All of Mercer’s losses are to unranked teams.

Nicholas didn’t make it out of pool play in All A.

Walton-Verona (19-6) was ranked 18th as of April 4 and ranked 20th as of April 11.

St. Henry has four unranked losses and not a single top-25 win.
Mercer County lost to:

Lexington Catholic (13-8)
Anderson County (8-8)
Carroll County (14-13)
Boyle County (19-9 ... was 8-9 before April 10)
Estill County (17-6)

If formerly ranked Butler County (15-10) -- voters apparently FORGOT Butler County's D-I pitcher graduated -- is Mercer's best win, that doesn't say much for the resume.
None has said it was a screw job, some people don't agree with the rankings.

I do agree that Lone Oak and Butler should crack the Top 25 this week.
cksportsfan Wrote:Below were comments made on the earlier KSCA Poll threads:
I read the comments on those threads you pulled the comments from. Based on how I read them, they were in response to someone saying that Jenkins somehow deserved votes in the Top 25, and a Pikeville supporter simply said "well, if Jenkins deserves votes, Pikeville does too since they've beat them 3 times" basically. They weren't arguing per se, that Pikeville REALLY deserves to be in the Top 25, just pointing out to the Jenkins supporter the facts. That was the context which I took those comments.

I think you're reading WAY too much into a few comments made here and other threads. Your points are valid, BUT what a couple other people are saying is that Pikeville made a nice little run, made it to the Final Four of the All A and should be commended, as should the other three teams. Let the fans and schools be proud of the moment, man. I mean, Glasgow gave Heath a heck of a game, losing by only one run, and Pikeville beat them. Sports are sometimes funny, and anything can happen, that's why they play the game instead of mailing it in according to the "all knowing" voters on the rankings (which are mostly bogus IMO).

So slow your roll, we know we have a ways to go here in EKy to get to the top level statewide, doesn't mean we can't be proud of the accomplishments of our kids.

Hey Strike I can't believe you admitted to agreeing with me....:Thumbs: lol lol I think Your starting to see things my way???? maybe.... come on know admit it.... lol lol...

Those teams with not so great records get votes because all of their losses have come to good teams. Just because you have a bad record doesn't mean you're a bad team.
And just because you have a good record doesn't mean your a good team. Ck I have to agree east is far behind the west. But you argument for Butler well I saw them play at Capitol city I hate to say they didn't turn my head. They really didn't beat no one at Capitol. Not impress at all. Not like the Butler teams I've seen in the past. But Hey guys don't get upset with CK he just types what he thinks (good or bad) and he doesn't sugar coat it and I for one likes when someone tells it the way they see it. I myself thought Pikeville didn't do to bad. Good showing for them. Can they compete against west teams.. no but they played to the best of there ability and one thing in coaching is to get your players playing to there best. That's all you can ask from your players. Polls are a joke for people to talk about and argue about. Some likes polls and some don't. Polls doesn't win or loose games. But they can be fun to talk about but just don't take it personal. Everyone has an opinion.