Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands: 6th straight state title or bust?
What are your thoughts?
WideRight05 Wrote:What are your thoughts?

Does it matter what we think? Because in your mind, we are going to get criticize by you on our opinion(s).
CovCath will give Highlands some fits this year. If they get past CovCath, LexCath should be a very tough test as well, if not tougher. I think Highlands can get its 6th straight, but I wouldn't say title or bust.
It has been HHS versus the field over the last five years. I have taken them over the field over the last 5 years. This year, I am taking the field. More unknowns this coming season than in the previous five.
FBfan4life Wrote:Does it matter what we think? Because in your mind, we are going to get criticize by you on our opinion(s).

You are confusing Wideright with Wideleft. Righty is just a pretend Bluebirds fan....:biggrin:
I think of the last 6 years, the greatest chance of Highlands not winning the title is this year. That said, the soon to be Jr class is LOADED. I expect them to step up this season. I look for the title game to come down to LexCath at Highlands the day after Thanksgiving. Everyone else is an also-ran, has been, never was, or wannabe.
Highlands is loaded for the next 2 years after that I will take the field 7 in a roll is not bad.From what I hear after the next 2 years it's all Baseball players lmao when will JB learnConfusednicker:
Stardust Wrote:It has been HHS versus the field over the last five years. I have taken them over the field over the last 5 years. This year, I am taking the field. More unknowns this coming season than in the previous five.

I'm not so sure about the more unknowns this coming season. O will be totally stacked and packed. As much as this may sound strange, Birds won't skip a beat on O even after losing Patrick and Ozzie. O line will be outstanding. RBs will be outstanding. WRs will be outstanding. And I'm extremely confident that McCoy will do an outstanding job taking over the QB spot. If folks saw his performance at Elder last year, they should feel the same way. Kid is a player and leader.

Defensively, there may be a couple of question marks but honestly I can't say there are any more than there were heading into last year. And it's not a matter of talent not being there. Talent out the ying yang. Just need some playing time.

Not going to predict the Birds will win No. 6 because I don't know what every other school brings back. But I do know that it will take an exceptionally strong team to beat the Birds. And I bolded the word team because it's going to take a very talented complete team to beat Highlands. A couple or even several talented players won't get it done.
Highlands. The only team that will come close to beating them is Lexington Catholic
FBfan4life Wrote:Does it matter what we think? Because in your mind, we are going to get criticize by you on our opinion(s).

Dude, I quit trolling long ago...speak your mind.
I don't think that Highlands will miss a beat this year in terms of how good our team is. That being said, Cov Cath, Lex Cath, Boyle, and some others that have been mentioned are going to be a lot better. And they were good last year! I also think Johnson Central returns a lot and so does Ashland. I picked on these schools in my trollign days, but I seriously think both of those schools are a lot better than what people give them credit for. Although we lost Towles and some others, we have plenty of good people coming up to step in and fill these roles.

The bottom line is, I believe that 4A will be very, very deep next year and difficult for anyone to win. But I believe we are capable of pulling out #6.
Johnsonville will look like Polish Sausage compared to HHS...lol? Just kidding....couldn't resist.
WideRight05 Wrote:Dude, I quit trolling long ago...speak your mind.

OK in that case....Lex Cath, Boyle Co, Cov Cath, and of course the mighty Highlands. No particular order.
charlie22 Wrote:Defensively, there may be a couple of question marks but honestly I can't say there are any more than there were heading into last year. And it's not a matter of talent not being there. Talent out the ying yang. Just need some playing time.

I agree, there are some questions about the defense, specifically the middle of the defense (nose, inside lbs, strong safety) and who replaces New at corner. LexCath will be loaded on offense, which will pose aa huge threat if and when they meet up.

With that being said, Highlands will have the depth to figure all their issues out in the season without missing too much of a beat.
Since they don't play Trinity, the odds are in their favor.
Truth Wrote:Since they don't play Trinity, the odds are in their favor.

Certainly makes the Trinity vs. Highlands scrimmage interesting.
This may be the most interesting year we've come across in a while.
Highlands is one of the favorites of course, but no where near the heavy favorite they have been in the past. They might even struggle within their own district and region.
Cov Cath, Lex Cath, Boyle, and Russell all have the potential to make a run at the east IMO.
As of right now, ill take Lex Cath.
^ I like Lex Cath as well, but I'm not betting against the Birds
It is always state title or bust up at Highlands.
mason Wrote:It is always state title or bust up at Highlands.

You couldn't be more right. Any year we are a contender regardless of whether we are the most team or not, we feel that we should win it. Anything that is not a state title - we consider a disappointment. I would also think we are not the only program like that either. After 2 or 3 years struggling, Cov Cath has once again established themselves at that level. Lex Cath and Boyle probably feel the same way with their programs - win the title or disappointment.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This may be the most interesting year we've come across in a while.
Highlands is one of the favorites of course, but no where near the heavy favorite they have been in the past. They might even struggle within their own district and region.
Cov Cath, Lex Cath, Boyle, and Russell all have the potential to make a run at the east IMO.
As of right now, ill take Lex Cath.

Russell Co???? Not even in the same breath. Be real brother. Highlands, Lex Cath, Cov Cath and Boyle. No one else comes close.
toussaints Wrote:I agree, there are some questions about the defense, specifically the middle of the defense (nose, inside lbs, strong safety) and who replaces New at corner. LexCath will be loaded on offense, which will pose aa huge threat if and when they meet up.

With that being said, Highlands will have the depth to figure all their issues out in the season without missing too much of a beat.

My strong guess is that it will be Streeter who replaces New. Streeter, if you recall, started when New was injured last year. Actually did an extremely good job, particularly when you consider he played RB the prior season so he had a big learning curve. He improved dramatically between the scrimmage against Trinity and the last game of the year. With Murray and Streeter, the cornerback position will be very solid. Schutte I believe will be the strong safety. Not the overall athlete that Drake Bruns was, but I expect Schutte to perform very well. 3 of the 5 LBers will likely be Schroeder, Wrobleski and Poston. All three are very solid. Don't know who the other two will be. Replacing Devon Bruns will be a huge job at the NG position. He was the best player on Highlands defense last year in my opinion. Hope and Schultz will do a great job at two of the D linemen spots. Don't know who will fill the third. Could be some small, extremely quick kid, ala Dierig of the 09 team. I really expect the Birds D to be very good again next year.

LexCath will be the competition to make it to state. Glad we will be playing them at Highlands barring an upset along the way.
FBfan4life Wrote:Russell Co???? Not even in the same breath. Be real brother. Highlands, Lex Cath, Cov Cath and Boyle. No one else comes close.

From what I'm hearing, Boyle will be really down this season. CovCath has a really good QB returning (Bir) but they lost their really good RB. While CovCath has recovered from the down years of 07,08 and 09, I'm not yet convinced they are back to prime time yet. I know the regular season match up last year was extremely close but for reasons I'll keep to myself, I think the playoff game results was more indicative of the difference between Highlands level and CovCath's level of football these days. Personally, I think it's a two horse race between Highlands and LexCath. Don't know a thing about Russell Co.
Highlands wins their sixth straight state title. They won't have as many running clock games but they won't win any by less than two scores. Cov Cath and Boyle this year could be two of the most overrated teams ever...
^ Zero, give me a few reasons why Cov Cath is overrated? I'm really interested in knowing if this is educated trolling or "blind-folded pin the tail on the donkey" trolling! What based on the past few seasons has led us to believe they are setting us all up for this coming year. Be specific now....
I disagree about Cov Cath. I think they'll be rock solid this year. Blake Bir IMO will be great and will be in contention for Mr. Football.
What are you guys on? Cov Cath doesn't return shit other than Bir! Their line is gone, Gabe Gray is gone, everything is gone but Bir!

I am more educated than 100% of people here....
Oh, OK. Yeah, I guess you forgot that they bring back their entire defense, best kicking games in the state and one of the best Junior offensive weapons in the state. Yeah, you are on top of it.
^ You must be on top of your game. I was unaware that cov cath had a defense last year. If not for their kicker pinning everyone at the 20 on kickoffs they would have been totally screwed. Doesn't concern me. Highlands might put up 42 instead of 49 this year...
Someone's awfully confident.