Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer 11 Boyd Co 1
April 25, 2012

Winning prescription
Kittens overcome medical challenges, throttle Boyd again
Rocky Stanley
The Independent The Daily Independent Wed Apr 25, 2012, 06:00 AM EDT

CANNONSBURG — Megan Hensley wasn’t scheduled to pitch Tuesday due to tendinitis in her pitching wrist. Catcher Emily Preece spent part of the afternoon at the hospital because of a medical scare.

Come game time, however, Hensley stood in the circle and Preece was behind the plate as the 13th-ranked Kittens beat Boyd County 11-1.

“These kids just amaze me,” said Ashland coach Dave Miller, whose team continues to overcome adversity. “I can’t say enough about them. I can’t even look at individuals. It’s just a family. What they’ve been through, fought through, it’s unbelievable.”

Hensley pitched a three-hitter for her second victory over Boyd County in two weeks. She also also singled twice and scored two runs.

Kelsee Hammonds, who returned to the lineup last weekend after a sooner-than-expected recovery from mononucleosis, had been penciled in as Tuesday’s starter. But Hensley asked to take some warm-up throws and convinced Miller to let her pitch.

The freshman allowed a first-inning run on two hits, then limited Boyd County to one single the rest of the way.

“Just a great performance,” Miller said. “Megan is such a competitor. She’s tough as a pine knot.”

Hensley struck out six batters, using an occasional changeup to complement her hard stuff.

“It worked out great,” she said. “My wrist started hurting last week, I think from all the curves I’ve been throwing. I’ve been going to therapy for it. I kind of laid off the curves today.”

Preece, the Kittens’ cleanup hitter, had a run-producing double and single in Ashland’s 15-hit attack off two Boyd County pitchers. Miller called her a fierce competitor.

“I got a call about 2:30 (p.m.) today that she was cleared to play,” Ashland’s coach said. “Earlier, she was feeling a little shortness of breath and chest pain. She came from the hospital to play. What’s that tell you about these kids, where they want to be.”

Rightfielder Sydney Whitt triggered Ashland’s offense. She manufactured the tying run in the second inning and then put the Kittens ahead with a two-run shot over the right-center field fence. Whitt also homered in Ashland’s 7-1 win over Boyd County on Apr. 10.

“I’m excited to do well,” Whitt said. “The first time going in against Boyd, I was not hitting well. It’s gotten better from there.”

Whitt is another Ashland player thankful to be on the field. On April 12, she banged heads with freshman teammate Jordan Meade while both were running full speed for a flyball in practice. Meade was temporarily knocked out and both were treated at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

Whitt didn’t miss any games and has become a key cog in Ashland’s 15-2 start and climb to 13th in the state rankings. Tuesday, she reached base safely her first three times to the plate and scored three runs.

In the second inning, Whitt walked, stole second and continued to third when the throw rolled into right field. She also used her speed to score on a wild pitch.

Whitt’s homer in the fourth followed a Megan Hensley single. Whitt later singled during the Kittens’ five-run fifth inning to break the game open.

“Sydney is such a hard worker and go-getter, the type of kid you dream of coaching,” Miller said. “She has a blister on her hand the size of a penny from hitting in the cage so much (Monday). What a great group I have.”

Kat Jackson collected three hits, drove in two runs and also scored twice for the Kittens. McKenzie Vanover singled, doubled and walked twice, while No. 9 hitter Megan Griffith went 2-for-3 with two runs and knocked in another.

Boyd County entered with a region-leading 15 wins, but lost to Ashland for the 18th time in their last 19 meetings dating back to 2007.

“After Ashland got the home run and went up 4-1, our demeanor changed,” Lady Lions coach Geoff Stewart said. “We quit. I could tell by the body language and the look in their eyes.”

Stewart said the Kittens’ domination has become a mind game with his players.

“They don’t feel they can beat Ashland,” Stewart said. “A big part of winning is believing that you can. Until we overcome that, it’s going to be difficult to change it.”

The Lady Lions, without Nicole Goins due to a shoulder injury, took a 1-0 lead in the first on Emily Stewart’s double and Bri Crooks’ RBI single. Allison Roark singled in the sixth for Boyd County’s only other hit.

ASHLAND 010 350 2 — 11 15 1

BOYD CO. 100 000 0 — 1 3 3

M. Hensley and Preece; Thompson, Meade (5) and Roark. W—M. Hensley. L—Thompson. 2B—Stewart (BC), Preece (A), Vanover (A), J. Hensley (A). HR—Whitt (A).

I have seen them play 5 times this year and really enjoy watching them play. There is not a easy out in the entire line up. Plus you have the Hammonds and Vanover kids that are just a beast at the plate.
Congrats to Ashland.
I know several girls on this team as they are friends of my duaghter and have seen alot of their games. This is one of, if not the best Ashland team top to bottom I have ever seen. They are a tight group of kids that work very hard and do not take any team lightly. They have a chance to go far if they stay focused which I think they will.